We're back.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Is it a coincidence that we had 5 managers, McGuinness , O Farrell, Doherty, Secton & Atkinson after Busby before we got SAF and we have had 5 since SAF before Ten Hag ie Moyes, LVG, Mou, OGS, Rangnick .
If you’re counting Rangnick shouldn’t you also be including Giggs? So that’s 6 and your theory is false.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
If you’re counting Rangnick shouldn’t you also be including Giggs? So that’s 6 and your theory is false.
just gonna forget 100% carrick like that?

tomaldinho1

Were not back until the PL is won.

This is a start in the right direction
Agreed. Difference now compared to previous cups wins with Mou and LVG is there’s a definite feeling of progress and club wide improvement/momentum.

We are still a good striker away from winning something major but so far under ETH it’s genuinely been superb.

justsomebloke

Knocked Barcelona out of Europe, won the League cup in a week framed on one end by a "Is United back?" media narrative and on the other by a "United is back!!" media narrative. It's not going to get much better than this for a while.

lonelyred

I wonder why I did not have this specific kind of joyous feeling after winning the EL or the FA Cup a few years ago?

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Yes United are 100% on an upward curve now. You've finally got some people in charge who are progressively thinking true football people and have given them the backing they need to effectively manage the club even if it upsets a few people by doing so.
Now the fun starts, it'll be a good contest.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
I wonder why I did not have this specific kind of joyous feeling after winning the EL or the FA Cup a few years ago?
the last times were too close to the good times. those times were like a man tired of getting daily blowjob from his smoking hot wife. nowadays we’re happy when the labrador goes for the peanut butter.

justsomebloke

the last times were too close to the good times. those times were like a man tired of getting daily blowjob from his smoking hot wife. nowadays we’re happy when the labrador goes for the peanut butter.
I don't think it was that, at least not for the EL win. It was just really hard to feel good about the whole Mourinho project. It seemed destined to blow up shortly rather than develop into something great, and there was really not a sense that this was a team that had most of the core in place for becoming a real contender. Things felt more optimistic for most of the OGS era than it did even after the titles under Jose.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
I don't think it was that, at least not for the EL win. It was just really hard to feel good about the whole Mourinho project. It seemed destined to blow up shortly rather than develop into something great, and there was really not a sense that this was a team that had most of the core in place for becoming a real contender. Things felt more optimistic for most of the OGS era than it did even after the titles under Jose.
you don’t need to justify being gratified by getting sucked off by the dog, least of all to me.

but yeah, agree, everything about the club makes you want to get behind it all and care again. there was a huge disconnect under the last few managers.

justsomebloke

you don’t need to justify being gratified by getting sucked off by the dog, least of all to me.

but yeah, agree, everything about the club makes you want to get behind it all and care again. there was a huge disconnect under the last few managers.
:D

CM

I enjoyed the FA Cup win under van Gaal and even the League Cup win under Mourinho, because I felt we deserved to win those. The Europa League had less of the shine on it because we played quite badly for a portion of that tournament and we were stuttering quite badly in the league at the time. Mourinho tried to use it more as a tool of vindication for himself rather than actually celebrating winning the trophy with the fans.

Now it feels different because everything at the club is moving in the right direction. We beat Barcelona on Thursday, we're the form team in the Premier League and we've just controlled a final quite comfortably against a decent side, having not won anything in almost 6 years. Most importantly, we've got a manager and group of players who are together. It makes a huge difference.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Well now you have gone and done it.
Although if when McGuinness was sacked Matt took over again briefly. But then Carrick took over briefly after OGS.
Anyway I stick to my guns.

Loon

:lol:
Jumping the gun, I feel. A loss at Anfield or a few bad results will bring folk down to earth. Right direction, but way too early to say we‘re back.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
We’re not completely back yet until we win and challenge for the prem and CL on a regular basis. What is back though is the spirit and fight with the players and the entertaining football… he’s made us all enjoy watching our team again and we are all eager for the next match to come straight away. I always said when he took over that making us play good and entertaining should be a priority and then trophies will soon follow. The fact he’s 1 the first trophy available in his first season is an over achievement.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Indeed but it's ludicrous to suggest we are back until we win the PL again and compete for the CL
I know, we are not back yet, but we are on the right track, finally after many years for disorder.
If ETH managed all of this in under 8 months, with proper backing in the future, I just don't see him fail in winning the league.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
We’re not completely back yet until we win and challenge for the prem and CL on a regular basis. What is back though is the spirit and fight with the players and the entertaining football… he’s made us all enjoy watching our team again and we are all eager for the next match to come straight away. I always said when he took over that making us play good and entertaining should be a priority and then trophies will soon follow. The fact he’s 1 the first trophy available in his first season is an over achievement.
The irony is that we won the silverware without being entertaining. The match against the barcodes wasn't of the highest quality --- nor entertaining esp the 2nd half where we basically conceded possession to game-managed them out of contention.

But at these folks are feeling it....

glasgow 21

To me we are an entertaining team already and that does my soul good. The ability of Ten Hag to adapt "in game" and from game to game is the impressive part. My opinion is that sunday was always the plan. The Barcelona game was always going to drain the players so he adapted. His philosophy is fluid and due to only 2 days rest he done the football version of "rope-a-dope" then Bang, Bang 2-0, see ya later. We are back, the fans are on board and the players are playing for the shirt with desire and passion and at this junction what else could I have dreamed of in May 2022.

Merk78

So what are the minimum expectation for the rest of the season? Assuming no injuries to key personnel then the cup treble and a 3rd place (running City close for 2nd) finish is realistic and would be beyond even the most optimistic supporters start of season dreams. As per the chat on United Hour, would you sacrifice say the FA Cup for 2nd?

Chairman Steve

I’d sacrifice the FA Cup for a better chance at Europa League and Premier League.

Winning the Europa League is a lot better than winning the FA Cup for level of prestige and benefits that come with it, such as automatic top seeds in next season’s CL group stage.

Merk78

I’d sacrifice the FA Cup for a better chance at Europa League and Premier League.

Winning the Europa League is a lot better than winning the FA Cup for level of prestige and benefits that come with it, such as automatic top seeds in next season’s CL group stage.
While I don't disagree, the prospect of winning the Europa League on the Wednesday and then beating City on the Saturday in the FA Cup Final makes me a wee bit moist! Would take 3rd in the league for that option.

Lam

Need to win the league or be closer to the league winner over a couple of seasons to declare we are back. But, we have definitely turned around and on the way back.
Feels good to look forward to our games, not get satisfaction from other teams’ losses or just discuss what more we need to get there. We have got the right manager who has made it possible to enjoy football again! To be honest, even transfer talk is boring because we have got a likeable team and manager whom we can trust.

Thank you Piers Morgan.The Keane interview in 2005 set us up for a few trophies and I hope this interview will have a similar impact :)

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
The irony is that we won the silverware without being entertaining. The match against the barcodes wasn't of the highest quality --- nor entertaining esp the 2nd half where we basically conceded possession to game-managed them out of contention.

But at these folks are feeling it....

I disagree. I think we’ve been entertaining in most matches. Obviously it won’t always happen and you may have to sacrifice it but it still gets us the win. We was entertaining against forest in the semis. Newcastle are a tougher team.

JimmyWils

I'm so desperate to jump onboard the hype train and agree with us being back, but I feel like we've had a few solid stints since Fergie retired and I'm just cautious. It's really difficult because this one definitely feels different and I think it's genuine, and previous managers do not seem to have attempted to do what EtH has been up to since joining.

Think I agree with other posters in here - win a PL and back in the CL and I'm more convinced. Even this is an odd one, because without those terrible Brighton and Brentford results early on, we'd be right up there in the league.

DLE

Alternative for Docklands Light Rail
Reading all the comments, title of this post should read “…almost back”.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
If I had any doubt that United are back, or at least on the way back, it’s gone today. I’ve never heard so much about a match as I’ve heard about yesterday’s game today. And it’s all about United. Little to no talk about Liverpool, despite winning 7-0.

To give an example, Andy Mitten does the odd spot on a sports radio show in Ireland. One of the main current affairs shows on that station just had him to discuss yesterdays game. I’ve never even heard them discuss sport on the show before, aside from kids not being given playing time or brawls on sidelines or other matters like that.

So yeah, yesterday was shit. But the revelling in our defeat just goes to show how worried they’ve all been that we are in fact back.

Last edited:

MileStolar

If I had any doubt that United are back, or at least on the way back, it’s gone today. I’ve never heard so much about a match as I’ve heard about yesterday’s game today. And it’s all about United. Little to no talk about Liverpool, despite winning 7-0.

To give an example, Andy Mitten does the odd spot on a sports radio show in Ireland. One of the main current affairs shows on that station just had him to discuss yesterdays game. I’ve never even heard them discuss sport on the show before, aside from kids not being given playing time or brawls on sidelines or other matters like that.

So yeah, yesterday was shit. But the revelling in our defeat just goes to show how worried they’ve all been that we are in fact back.
Are. They. Worried?

Red Star One

Recently a friend told me of a Naples guy who wanted to already tattoo and celebrate the scudetto but he was convinced otherwise by his fellow Napolitans by a few punches and a kick or two. That’s why I don’t like statements like “we’re back” before the end of the season.