WFA Cup Final 24 | United v Spurs | FA CUP WINNERS!

Eric_the_Red99

I’m delighted for the whole team for getting their first major trophy, but I’m particularly happy for Tooney, Turner, Galton and Zelem, who have all been with us right from the start. It’s good that their loyalty has been rewarded. Especially Tooney, who is good enough to play for any team in the world, but is United to her core.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I’m delighted for the whole team for getting their first major trophy, but I’m particularly happy for Tooney, Turner, Galton and Zelem, who have all been with us right from the start. It’s good that their loyalty has been rewarded. Especially Tooney, who is good enough to play for any team in the world, but is United to her core.
Yeah it emphasises how great our recruitment was for that first season that those four started today, with Amy James-Turner also starting for Spurs, and that's after having also lost Alex Greenwood and Lauren James. Icing on the cake that three were brought back from the youth sides.

Demon Barber

Fantastic result and a great day out. I thought we controlled the game from the start and could have been a couple up before Toone's quality goal. So pleased for Williams and Garcia - the latter fully deserving POTM. Her energy is astounding and her contract needs sorting urgently.

Zelem deserves credit for the quality of her set pieces, and Le Tissier was impeccable.

The only slight disappointment for me was that Skinner did not give Ladd some minutes.

The support from both sets of fans was excellent. Despite our poor showing in the league I think our final game v Chelsea at OT will be a bit of a carnival now that we have silverware to show off.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Great result for the girls. Really glad they managed to pick up their first major piece of silverware.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
A historic first cup win that turns a very disappointing season into a good one

Might be time for a new poll on Skinner, the vast majority wanted him gone (including me) but it's looking likely he'll stay on

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
A historic first cup win that turns a very disappointing season into a good one

Might be time for a new poll on Skinner, the vast majority wanted him gone (including me) but it's looking likely he'll stay on
Hasn't really changed what I'd like to happen, but I don't think the higher ups have any desire to make a move at this point, even if we'd lost.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Hasn't really changed what I'd like to happen, but I don't think the higher ups have any desire to make a move at this point, even if we'd lost.
That's how I see it as well.

I don't think the club are ready to do more than kick the can down the road. That said, because they aren't ready, I doubt they'll want to give Skinner a long-term contract either - unless they've got escape clauses built in. Wages (and therefore payoff clauses) are lower in the women's game but won't be so low that they'll want to look like soft touches when it comes to negotiating.

Lyng

What a final. And Toone with a proper Beckham strike.
I hope Ineos actually invest in this team now because there is some great talent there, but Ratcliffes choice of going to the mens game instead of the final doesnt bode well.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Toone:
"I'm buzzing, what a day.

"I mean, coming in last season and having that taste of what it means to play in a final for your club at Wembley, it made us hungrier than ever today to get the job done.

"The fans were amazing. We scored some great goals and I'm absolutely buzzing that we're FA Cup winners.

"I say it every week, the fans are our 12th player when we're on the pitch. They came out today in full force and we appreciate them so much.

"Especially my family as well, 60 of them on a coach down from Tyldesley [Ella's hometown, near Wigan] means a lot. That goal was for them.

"Absolutely buzzing that we got the win for the fans and my family and friends as well."

"I've been practising a lot. The girls know that I'm practising all the time, after training on shots like that, shots from outside of the box and shots that I will take in games.

"It's come to me today and I had a lot of space to drive into. I just hit it and as soon as I hit it, I knew it was going in. What a feeling."

On Williams's aerial prowess, she continued: "That's what you've got to do when Rachel is in the box. She's unbelievable in the air.

"Even when three players mark her, you know she's still going to get the header. I think [in the] first half, we had three chances off a corner, so we knew it was coming. We managed to get that second goal and we felt comfy after that."

Skinner:
"Obviously we're not where we want to be in the league, right? But we are history makers for Manchester United.

"We want to be challenging for titles, of course we do, but you all know, adding that first piece of silverware is really important for the psyche, and so we've got nothing but growth to happen."

"Tooney scored one like that against Leicester [recently] and to do it at Wembley; [it's] such a special moment.

"But I just reminded her up there: 'Just feel it. Just remember it. Feel it.' Because it comes and goes too quick and so, for her, congratulations. To the whole team, congratulations. [A] magnificent performance."

"I feel incredible. But more importantly, I don't personally just feel incredible for me, I feel incredible because our players [and] our staff have been able to produce it for the best fans in the world.

"We've wanted that for so long. I can't tell you how hard we work every day to do it, and it [had] eluded us up until this point.

"But that's for all the fans. For every single fan that loves Manchester United. That's for you, and you absolutely deserve that."

"This is the first of what I hope is many. We've got work to do. We're not going to lie.

"We need you [the fans]. We need you for years and years to come. But we were happy that we could give you one token, one moment for all the things you give to us. And for everybody involved at Manchester United, that's for all of you.

"You absolutely deserve that, you're the best in the world. And let's push on from here."

top1whoisman

Scout
Two assists for Naalsund yesterday. Very good performance. To be fair the whole team was impressive.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
How can you not love Toone.

That's why women's football is far better for me right now. It's still a glimpse of what we used to have in the mens game. May be boomer talk, but we used to just love watching football and enjoying the occasion and moments. When she hit that top corner, it was sublime and me and my fiancée went mad. That's what it's all about.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Congratulations to the whole team. Proud moment for the club. Hopefully the first of many

Grande

What a final. And Toone with a proper Beckham strike.
I hope Ineos actually invest in this team now because there is some great talent there, but Ratcliffes choice of going to the mens game instead of the final doesnt bode well.
True. It doesn’t help his claim as a ‘Manchester lad connected to the community’ neither, missing a Cup Final at Wembley and a historical trophy for one of his teams, to be at one of many games in the fight for the 8th place for the other.

Lyng

How can you not love Toone.

That's why women's football is far better for me right now. It's still a glimpse of what we used to have in the mens game. May be boomer talk, but we used to just love watching football and enjoying the occasion and moments. When she hit that top corner, it was sublime and me and my fiancée went mad. That's what it's all about.
I get where you are coming from. The girls love to play and Toone is everything a United player should be. She clearly loves the club and gives everything for the badge.

Redlambs

True. It doesn’t help his claim as a ‘Manchester lad connected to the community’ neither, missing a Cup Final at Wembley and a historical trophy for one of his teams, to be at one of many games in the fight for the 8th place for the other.
Yeah, him not going to Wembley was such a shit move. There was even a Glazer there.

StretfordEnd78

Fancied Tooney to do something special yesterday. Genuinely world class.
The whole team were superb and the crowd excellent.
Shattered today at work but still on a high after the weekend.
Will live long in the memory.

top1whoisman

Scout
More from Skinner:
IT WAS A BAD CHOICE

“Before you ask, yes, I'm hot in the turtleneck, I am hot. It was a bad choice. I agree, it's a bad choice.

IT FEELS GOOD TO BE PRESENT

“I felt that we were in a really good space. I felt that our players were ready. I felt that they didn't overhype it. They felt like it was a business – a job to do. I want to give Tottenham a lot of credit for the run that they've had, the season that they've had and, if they use it like we had to use it last year, then it will only serve them for future successes, I'm sure. So congratulations to them.

“For us, I think we, we fast forward far too many times beyond the moment for the next thing, the next thing, the next thing but, actually, it feels really nice to be present. I had a chat with Nick Cox, Head of the Academy, yesterday, and he spoke about being present. And, for me, I feel like I'm present in this moment, and I feel like it's a moment to enjoy.”

IT’S ANOTHER FA CUP STORY

“The FA Cup has now got the history like the men's in terms of a plasterer scores a winner. She's a fantastic character. I wanted to start the game fast. I wanted to make sure Tottenham couldn't get rhythm and Rachel will chase them, put her body on the line for everything. With Lucia and Leah, I felt that we could start that way. I knew the game was going to finish differently, but I wanted to disrupt their rhythm because, once they play, Tottenham are a good team. I thought we did that.

“For her [Williams], she should have scored in the first half. If we're being critical! She's a fantastic human, more importantly than a footballer. I hope she goes down as an iconic player for Manchester United. Do you remember all that rubbish we got when we signed her? Yeah, well she's turned that around hasn't she? She's a fantastic person. And the there's obviously a really great story for Tooney for her goal and what it means. But, for Rachel Williams, it's another FA Cup story and I'm really proud of her. That was amazing.”

TOONEY IS ICONIC

“Iconic, iconic moment, iconic player, iconic club. I think those are those are springboards. You should use time like there's a disappointment of last year but we have to use that springboard to make sure this isn't a one-off. And we have to compete better in the league on a consistent basis for us to be up there again and I believe that we will do that. This has to be the impetus and springboard for us to know now that we can deliver success for this fantastic club.

“In between media, I saw them having the photos - the players from the inception - and I felt that it's just special moments. You forget those narratives, right? You forget those little storylines, the Rachel Williams storyline, like it's the Ella Toone, the iconic number seven for Manchester United, and then you realise all the hard work that goes behind the scenes and the people that have been here that win the Championship and now added a moment of history for the club. And it feels special and they should. They deserve it.”

I HAVE LEARNED A LOT

"I learned a lot about the mental resilience that you need. You can't be at Manchester United if you are weak in the mind. We have to deliver. We have to deliver trophies for an expectant fanbase that are supporters, the best in the world, and that's a pressure of privilege. Today, we've done that. There's so much more to come. I'm learning lots about myself every day. My assistant at Birmingham said to me remember what it felt like seven years ago at Birmingham, when I said it was the loneliest place I've ever been when we were 4-1 down, and on that touchline and he said just take a moment to feel it.

"If you look at me towards the end of the game [today], the last couple of minutes, only the last couple of minutes, I just sat quiet and I felt and I stayed present and that's like, it's a general life lesson that we just fast forward things too quickly and sometimes just spend the time looking at people, being part of the experience. And I'm so proud of all of the players today because they only do it to bring success to this fantastic club."

MY DAUGHTER WILL GET MY MEDAL

“There were held-back tears just because it was like a feeling of emotion that it's one of them where something hits you and you're just like, I know what I should react like, but it just hit me. It was a nice moment. It was. It's something that I'll share with my family later. I'll make sure my five-year-old gets this winner's medal because I got stick for throwing the last one away last year but we want gold here, not silver.

“We've created history and I've got to live in that moment. I believe in myself fully. I'm still only a baby in terms of my career, so I've got lots and lots to achieve in this game but, from my perspective, I feel the club are in fantastic hands and, and, hopefully, I'm here to be able to do that and push forward with them.”

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Yeah, him not going to Wembley was such a shit move. There was even a Glazer there.
TBF it was explained that Jim didn't go to Wembley because he'd arranged a schmoozing meeting with Kier Starmer about rebuilding OT

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Sorry, I’m not fully into the mechanisms of British politics and irony - this is a joke, right?
Nope - Jim is going on a full political lobbying mission to get all the help he can for the rebuild of Old Trafford

Starmer is an avid Arsenal fan and likely to be the new PM by the end of the year

Grande

Nope - Jim is going on a full political lobbying mission to get all the help he can for the rebuild of Old Trafford

Starmer is an avid Arsenal fan and likely to be the new PM by the end of the year
It’s hard to believe he couldn’t get Starmer’s ear at another point in time than during a United cup final. Or that Starmer wouldn’t be better advised to go to a WFA Cup final at Wembley than an Arsenal game at Old Trafford, if he wants to become Prime Minister.

Or that it wouldn’t be a better bonding experience for them to both cheer United to beat Spurs, than to sit there rooting for different teams.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
It’s hard to believe he couldn’t get Starmer’s ear at another point in time than during a United cup final. Or that Starmer wouldn’t be better advised to go to a WFA Cup final at Wembley than an Arsenal game at Old Trafford, if he wants to become Prime Minister.

Or that it wouldn’t be a better bonding experience for them to both cheer United to beat Spurs, than to sit there rooting for different teams.
In honesty that match date/time etc was in place long before we made the final. Sebastian Coe and some others were apparently up there as well.

In any case, there is something faintly hilarious about them all watching United lose, the heavens open and the stadium waterfalls coming into full flow. Meanwhile at Wembley there was a party going on in the sunshine.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

If the discussion is the regeneration of Old Trafford and the surrounding area then makes sense to meet there

I guess it's even possible that this meeting was arranged before the Women reached the cup final but who knows

Grande

If the discussion is the regeneration of Old Trafford and the surrounding area then makes sense to meet there

I guess it's even possible that this meeting was arranged before the Women reached the cup final but who knows
In honesty that match date/time etc was in place long before we made the final. Sebastian Coe and some others were apparently up there as well.

In any case, there is something faintly hilarious about them all watching United lose, the heavens open and the stadium waterfalls coming into full flow. Meanwhile at Wembley there was a party going on in the sunshine.
Sure, there could be mitigating factors regarding Ratcliffe in particular if and IF he had scheduled a meeting with a future PM months or weeks in advance to inspect the stadium in hope of a multibillion investment, and certainly, it would could not have panned out better in that case than Starmer getting his moods punmped up by Arsenal while at the same time seeing Old Trafford seemingly go down in waves of water.

Notwithstanding these if’s, I don’t at all buy that he nor the new regime see the importance of Man United football team for women, and at the same time not one of Ratcliffe, Brailsford or Blanc was there. I get that Wilcox or Berrada would have trouble going with all their gardening stuff going on, but it’s shameful that Avram Glazer of The Anti-Commitments show and noen of them, and it’s even scary that none of them even found it shameful enough that they didn’t prioritize showing face there over almost anything else.

Redlambs

TBF it was explained that Jim didn't go to Wembley because he'd arranged a schmoozing meeting with Kier Starmer about rebuilding OT
Ugh, those words make me sad.

I respect you more than you think Rood, having a beer in the pub we'd be on the same page about most things if not quite all. But we see what is happening right?

Yep, let them suffer :lol: