What’s the cost of playing in an empty stadium?

M4nu4Life

How much would it cost us to play in an empty stadium for a period? Say 10 weeks?

cyril C

How much would it cost us to play in an empty stadium for a period? Say 10 weeks?
For each home game, excluding hotdog, ticket "loss" is 60K x GBP 40 = 2.4m If you say average ticket price is 50 then 3m. For 5 home games, 12m... May be adding 4 more cup home games then 20m counting.

Cheaper to cancel this season and restart from fresh. Gary Neville will have to open a few more bottle...

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Our matchday income is around £110m and we'd lose income for about a quarter/third of the season. We'd get some back because matchday expenses would drop. Maybe £25m?

Of course, that assumes that we refund season ticket holders and advance ticket holders. In reality United would probably try and find methods (discounts on next season or beyond, free tickets for some midweek games, souvenir shop stuff etc) to reduce the immediate hit.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Think I read we make 2m every home game. So around 20m.

According to our financials we make around 6m per home game from gate receipts and matchday activities, minus whatever the costs are. I'm not sure if/what we get from away games.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
There must be some sort of insurance the club would tap into?

Coxy

It would hit all of the clubs - not just us - so we'd all face the same hit

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
What about season ticket holders? Do they get money back?
I was thinking yesterday that the derby could've been the last game of the season with fans in the stadium.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Another thing is that home advantage would be lost. Teams who have already played a team away from home in front of 50k of their fans, and now have to play to corresponding home tie with no fans would be disadvantaged.

Ian Reus

Ended 14 years of Grand National sweepstakes
There will likely be a contingency fund set aside for such incidents although it was probably thought it would be needed more for terrorism threats and the like.

The FA probably have a 100 reasons why to keep such a fund but it's more for the reasons they can't think of. As in this.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Another thing is that home advantage would be lost. Teams who have already played a team away from home in front of 50k of their fans, and now have to play to corresponding home tie with no fans would be disadvantaged.
Good point. Re-start the season in 5-6 months.

hobbers

Presumably they would scrap the 'no 3pm football on tv' rule if, for instance, the rest of the Prem season was to be played out behind closed doors?

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
There will likely be a contingency fund set aside for such incidents although it was probably thought it would be needed more for terrorism threats and the like.

The FA probably have a 100 reasons why to keep such a fund but it's more for the reasons they can't think of. As in this.
The FA keeping a disaster relief fund, to compensate clubs? You’re not serious?!?

DVG7

A 2 year champions league ban and a €30m fine

Infra-red

Presumably they would scrap the 'no 3pm football on tv' rule if, for instance, the rest of the Prem season was to be played out behind closed doors?
You'd think so. Perhaps the Premier League would offer those games via some kind of ppv streaming service, or auction them to the broadcasters, with a proportion of the net proceeds going to the clubs, to offset the cut in matchday revenue.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
It would hit all of the clubs - not just us - so we'd all face the same hit
Not all clubs have the same level of match day revenue though.

Not City.
Would probably affect Liverpool the most.
Let’s do it!
Arsenal have the highest gate receipts due to their outrageous pricing

Why would that be impacted?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Arsenal have the highest gate receipts due to their outrageous pricing
I'm thinking more that Liverpool will need money the most, as their players will demand higher wages and they'll no doubt be looking to the transfer market to fix the slow puncture that is their performances. They'll have a wedge available anyway I would imagine, but not mega amounts in the grand scheme of things.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I'm thinking more that Liverpool will need money the most, as their players will demand higher wages and they'll no doubt be looking to the transfer market to fix the slow puncture that is their performances. They'll have a wedge available anyway I would imagine, but not mega amounts in the grand scheme of things.
Can’t imagine missing out on match day income for a few months would cause any top teams major issues tbh.

Michael T

Can’t imagine missing out on match day income for a few months would cause any top teams major issues tbh.
But what happens when a player at a club tests positive for Corona virus, will they be able to field a team? I sense chaos is weeks away, and not just for football. Poor Liverpool, it could be all for nothing. People will just remember us bringing it home next season...

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Posted this in the other thread

bp19992

There must be some sort of insurance the club would tap into?
Standard policies that cover Business Interruption only cover losses that involve some kind of property damage. Professional football clubs might have some special coverage though, I don't know.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Standard policies that cover Business Interruption only cover losses that involve some kind of property damage. Professional football clubs might have some special coverage though, I don't know.
Most businesses don't have 2m riding on a single afternoon though, so there just must be special insurance.
It's like most businesses don't insure their staff like clubs do their players.

cyril C

But what happens when a player at a club tests positive for Corona virus, will they be able to field a team? I sense chaos is weeks away, and not just for football. Poor Liverpool, it could be all for nothing. People will just remember us bringing it home next season...
All players and staff of that club will have to be quarantined. But players from the opposition side that just game, need to be quarantined as well. Any contact/game in previous 2 weeks included, and any players that had contact with all these teams. I think the most logical conclusion is to stop all games for all clubs for 2 weeks, training included. This will probably mean interruption for 3-4 weeks minimum.

Michael T

J
All players and staff of that club will have to be quarantined. But players from the opposition side that just game, need to be quarantined as well. Any contact/game in previous 2 weeks included, and any players that had contact with all these teams. I think the most logical conclusion is to stop all games for all clubs for 2 weeks, training included. This will probably mean interruption for 3-4 weeks minimum.
This crisis is just beginning; it'll be 3-4 months minimum.

cyril C

J
This crisis is just beginning; it'll be 3-4 months minimum.
Then it better come quick, before this weekend. Then 2019/20 season need to be cancelled. Neville needs to open a few more champaign.

James Peril

Better to ask the Spurs-chap on this forum, he must know this by heart. In fact, I think he talks about it in his sleep.