What’s the reasons for keeping Ole?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Ole has shown nothing in the EPL or anywhere of large scale merit. Clubs employ based on having a CV, not winging it about being a legend.

There's no irony in calling someone who has shown nothing shite, the idiocy is believing he'll miraculously come good. We're the only club who's appointed a manager with a cv that would get him thrown out of every other top club with raucous laughter .
That's not true. Chelsea hired Di Matteo, Avram Grant. Had AVB done much?
Had Wenger done much pre Arsenal?

I don't think we've got enough evidence on Ole yet. It really is a 50-50 how we go from here.
Can he get it going well like it looked for 2months? Or will it be as dreadful as it was for the last 2months?

I genuinely can't tell. We certainly need some genius recruitment - the right side has been massively off for years now for one.

fergiesarmy1

Why now? Because I’m sick of this club making ridiculous decisions which will put us further behind everyone else- Why do we have to start with Ole? If the board wanted to they could make a change - perhaps if they saw the fanbase more concerned they might consider it but everyone has written off next season already which is ridiculous.

If caring about the team is ‘throwing my toys out of the pram’ Then so be it- of course I’ll support Ole & the team if we start next season with him- it’s just frustrating when it’s clearly not in the best interests of the club
Who now then, avoiding the fact we would have to sack another manager that so far hasn’t done anything wrong. If the points won and lost during his total reign were averaged out everyone would probably be pretty content

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
So we don’t look like mugs. We just gave him a contract few months ago and sacking him now will just show how incompetent our board is in making decisions. I believe next season is a write of season with little expectation. We already aiming for top four trophy rather than the league title, so our standards has clearly dropped. If we had hired someone like Pochettino, we would be aiming for the champions league and the the title. I don’t recognize this United club anymore. We had the opportunity to put us back where we are suppose to be but we messed that up. Let’s hope Ole can do a Zidane and if we have tons of great talent in this team, he can motivate them to perform.
Why would we aim for the title next season with Pochettino? He has a better squad than us and hasn't ever seriously challenged for the title. If magically Klopp or Guardiola took over this summer, I still wouldnt expect a title. If we spend 500m, it's still not in reach. We have just too many positions to fix and on top of that, we need to fully develop a style and let all signings transition into the team. It's at least a season long transition before we get ready to challenge for serious trophies (without needing massive luck).

siw2007

As worried as I am about the massive dip in form, maybe the management and board think it’s less Ole’s influence and more to do with the players.

Also, there isn’t an obvious choice as to who could replace him if we did have to go for a new coach. If we sacked him, there would be no suitable candidates and would be in a mess.

Rafaeldagold

Here is why I think Ole is a good decision

a) Next season is going to be tough irrespective of who came. No good manager wants to come in when the club is in a mess from top to bottom

b) Hiring a manager who has a good connection with the Club gives us time to sort out player contracts, cleanse the recruitment policy, and make systematic changes to our structure

c) Worst case scenario we miss out on Top 4 again next year but at least we’ll have a squad which is in better shape (fitness and personnel wise)

At the end of the year or in December we’ll have clearer picture of where we are with Ole. If he does well, it gives us an opportunity to continue to grow. If he fails, we tried something different, got rid of some deadwood, and have fitter players which makes it easier for the next manager in.

In all of this, Ole is pretty much one of the most successful ex United players turned to coaches who is in touch with modern times. Whatever else happens, if he isn’t the right man for the job he’ll leave.

Give the guy a chance before writing his obituary.
This is all do depressing when we’re even accepting possibility of not getting top 4 again next year..it doesn’t have to be this way- we’re Manchester United.

Ole hasn’t shown any progress since being appointed & I’ve seen no sense of style being implemented

fergiesarmy1

This is all do depressing when we’re even accepting possibility of not getting top 4 again next year..it doesn’t have to be this way- we’re Manchester United.

Ole hasn’t shown any progress since being appointed & I’ve seen no sense of style being implemented
Give him a chance he took over from a shit show and did pretty well, felt like we had united back for a spell and that must have been his, Phelans effect. It just run out of steam cause we have a set of players I wouldn’t piss on if they were on fire. Every chance he can do it again with players he now trusts

Rafaeldagold

Who now then, avoiding the fact we would have to sack another manager that so far hasn’t done anything wrong. If the points won and lost during his total reign were averaged out everyone would probably be pretty content
Off the top of my head Allegri? But there must be lots of progressive managers who have much better CV’s around than Ole- Would Ole get the job at City/Arsenal/Liverpool/Chelsea? Absolutely not. Perhaps their standard have risen more than ours.

Fair point about the points total however what’s more concerning is that we’re regressing under Ole rather than progressing since he came in & I see no style of play being developed

dove

It's been discussed to death already. There is a single reason - legend. Apart from that - clearly wrong fit and will be gone in December.

fergiesarmy1

Off the top of my head Allegri? But there must be lots of progressive managers who have much better CV’s around than Ole- Would Ole get the job at City/Arsenal/Liverpool/Chelsea? Absolutely not. Perhaps their standard have risen more than ours.

Fair point about the points total however what’s more concerning is that we’re regressing under Ole rather than progressing since he came in & I see no style of play being developed
Well obviously he wouldn’t get the gig at those clubs mentioned as he is a united legend, I’m still happy for him to be given a chance as I 100% think those players are cnuts

Red_toad

Where’s the good football? I haven’t seen it- we look clueless
This is a major issue. Seems some fans have zero ability to remember anything. When it was going well when he first came in we played some lovely stuff.
In addition to that, guy needs a least 1 active transfer window, as allwe’ve done since he joined is sell fellaini.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Because now we've hired him we need to give him a chance.

At this stage he's had half a season inheriting someone else's team, and produced results which if replicated over the course of the whole season would have meant finishing comfortably in 3rd. Hardly enough to confirm he'll produce anything similar next year, but if half a season isn't enough to justify praising him, a quarter of the season definitely isn't enough to use to condemn him.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
He has shown more capability for managing the club the way "we" want, than Jose, LVG or Moyes ever did. The results turned to shit after a great start, this is undeniable. But the man hasnt even had a single transfer window to bring any new players in, and it is also undeniable that the squad needs major investment and changes.

I find it weird and bizarre how fans were willing to sit through shite football from three "top" managers and be patient (to a point), yet the first one who actually seems like the sort of appointment we needed (read:a promising, younger manager with some passion for the club, and a desire to play attacking football) seems to have been afforded far less time or leeway.

Enigma_87

You know who
OP you are wasting your time here. Been discussed before and the only thing you will get is probably insulted.

Love it how the same line is quoted - Ole will make the players fitter and get rid of the deadwood.

Of course noting substantial for both of those claims - right on the contrary since he's been our manager Jones and McTominay signed new contracts and Young has been made captain. The only "deadwood" we released so far is Herrera.

The board can't possibly sack him so soon after appointing him - it would be an embarrassing admission of incompetence, for which they'd be rightly castigated.

They will stick it out now, at least until new year.
Like Real sacking both Julen Lopetegui after 14 games? Or Solari the very same season? Top clubs doesn't really care if they sack a manager that is clearly not fit for the job. Apart from United that is.

To be fair, we went on our longest winning run with Ole at charge since Sir Alex.
and on the worst run since 50 years.

Gomes

He has shown more capability for managing the club the way "we" want, than Jose, LVG or Moyes ever did.
The only capability he has shown is talking crap at press conferences. A lot of big beautiful words followed by opposite actions.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Yeah, and I bet the Scousers said exactly the same when they slipped out of the top four a few years ago. This attitude and entitlement is indicative of the problems with the club right now - fans are still demanding a quick fix and instant success, even though we are in a far weaker position than we were in Fergie's last season, and competing against two of the best side in PL history.

Whenever we have tried to throw money at the problem (read: Di Maria, Falcao, Sanchez, Lukaku, Pogba etc), the results have been poor. We are at a point where its no longer realistic to think there is some sort of quick fix. Anyone who thinks we have some divine right to finish top four next season, based on the quality of the league, needs to take off the rose tinted specs.

el3mel

To be fair, we went on our longest winning run with Ole at charge since Sir Alex.

Anyway, there's more than enough threads about Ole, we don't need another one.
Actually not true. In the league the longest run under Ole was 6 straight wins which was repeated twice in LVG first season and once in Mourinho first season. In all competition we went in 8 winning strike under Ole, while we went in 9 winning strike in Mourinho first season.

Last edited:

Cardboard elk

Supports
Rosenborg
accomplishing this with all the problems with squad and club : http://solskjaertabellen.com/ without any transfer window or pre-seasons. you can definately say many of the players were either not fit enough or motivated enough at the end. Also what stopped the great streak was all the injuries and that affected the season a lot imo. I also think he is healthy for the club. And that he is both misjudged and patronized too some degree. He will turn all the non-believers around.

Reactions: SteveJ

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
The only capability he has shown is talking crap at press conferences. A lot of big beautiful words followed by opposite actions.
Better that than dour, negative managers like Mourinho, LVG and Moyes who still got shite results. We are in the mess we are in because of the collective failure of those three (and Woodward) to keep the squad competitive. Every time we have made a new appointment they have needed time to bring in their own players, their own bloody philosophy etc, and when it doesnt work we are back to square one again. The club needs a director of football to oversee the longer term strategy and health of the squad, and a manager/head coach who is capable of instilling some passion and "Manchester United way" into the players. I think Solskjaer is one of the most capable of doing that right now.

Celoti23-81

• We had good form initially, but I think we started to lose matches due to a lack of fitness, which Ole has been spouting out about, talking about how he can't wait for preseason to raise the fitness levels of the team. Obviously isn't the only factor but is a big one imo
  • Built/rebuilt good teams at Molde and took them from midtable to winning the league, showing he is capable of a rebuild job
  • Keep in mind, the quality of the squad. Full of deadwood, lazy, stubborn, awful players. It was a miracle we even had good form to begin with, and the last few months showed us the level we were really at. You can't expect Ole to win matches consistently with this squad
  • Trusts in youth, attacking football etc. - things we want to see at United
Though I disagreed with Ince during Ole's winning run that anybody could have done what he did, he was right wasn't he! Last few games showed a glimpse of a manager he might really be for us! It wasn't just fitness, it was tactics also.
People make out on here that we have the worst team on paper in the premier league. If Ole's achievements were that great at Molde, why in the hell was it only Cardiff that head hunted him!
I don't even think he has the pull to attract the De Ligt's of this world!

fergiesarmy1

He has shown more capability for managing the club the way "we" want, than Jose, LVG or Moyes ever did. The results turned to shit after a great start, this is undeniable. But the man hasnt even had a single transfer window to bring any new players in, and it is also undeniable that the squad needs major investment and changes.

I find it weird and bizarre how fans were willing to sit through shite football from three "top" managers and be patient (to a point), yet the first one who actually seems like the sort of appointment we needed (read:a promising, younger manager with some passion for the club, and a desire to play attacking football) seems to have been afforded far less time or leeway.
Bingo - give the man a chance. Didn’t even watch Mourinho’s last game in charge as it was clear he was ready to go. I believe Ole will give everything to succeed, may not work out but I’m ready for ride :D

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I don't even think he has the pull to attract the De Ligt's of this world!
You are off your rocker if you think that is to do with the manager rather than the state of the club in general right now.

fergiesarmy1

You are off your rocker if you think that is to do with the manager rather than the state of the club in general right now.
I’d rather sign for an up and coming manager than a miserable feck like Mourinho every day the of the week and twice on Sunday

Infra-red

If that’s a reason for keeping him & wasting another season..I mean how sad & pathetic that would be for a reason. The board need to do what’s right for the club- irrespective if they look stupid
I'm not sure what would be best for the club at this point - it's not even clear who the contenders would be to replace him.

Ultimately, I think we've made our bed and will now have to lie in it, even though there's a good chance that it will mean a challenging season on and off the pitch and a new manager sometime next year anyway.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
What makes you think pochettino would come here? He could be managing the champions of Europe next season (touch wood) in a shiny new stadium that serves beer from hogwarts and has a team of exciting players on an upward curve
Spurs doesn’t have the same resources United has. Spurs are after players like Maddison, Lo Celso, Wilson, and Brooks, whereas United are after elite talent like De Ligt, Felix, Dybala, Sancho, Koulabaly and Jovic. Pochettino is not going to achieve what he doing this season at Spurs again when his competitors keeps bringing in more elite talent. Being in the finals would be a great send of for Pochettino to achieve bigger things at a bigger club. At United he can reach his goal easier and rebuild United the same way he did Spurs, but as a stronger team.

Why would we aim for the title next season with Pochettino? He has a better squad than us and hasn't ever seriously challenged for the title. If magically Klopp or Guardiola took over this summer, I still wouldnt expect a title. If we spend 500m, it's still not in reach. We have just too many positions to fix and on top of that, we need to fully develop a style and let all signings transition into the team. It's at least a season long transition before we get ready to challenge for serious trophies (without needing massive luck).
Spurs doesn’t have a better squad, he has an similar starting eleven with us and that is only assumed better because he gets the best out of average players and players who are elite talent. This team finished second before last season and we have some top talent here as showed during the honeymoon period. If Ajax and Spurs can get to the semi finals of the champions league with their squad, it is attainable for United as well who has a deeper talent pool to pick from.

I don’t see why we can’t challenge for the title with four-five new additions to this team. In ole table, we are in third place, so our team is much better than fans would give it credit for. All we need to challenge are good players in the right back position, ram/rm position, cdm position and cb position. With these additions and with our current players, if we don’t challenge, it will be a failure of a season. Liverpool was fourth last season before they accumulated 97 points. They made two good additions and now they are challenging. United just need similar type of signings.

fergiesarmy1

I'm not sure what would be best for the club at this point - it's not even clear who the contenders would be to replace him.

Ultimately, I think we've made our bed and will now have to lie in it, even though there's a good chance that it will mean a challenging season on and off the pitch and a new manager sometime next year anyway.
Ed, is that you?

Just kidding I agree with you, we have made our bed now. Everyone needs to get behind Ole and I think he will be better for us in the long run.

Enigma_87

You know who
Actually not true. In the league the longest run under Ole was 6 straight wins which was repeated twice in LVG first season and once in Mourinho first season. In all competition we went in 8 winning striker under Ole, while we went in 9 winning striker in Mourinho first season.
Some more stats during the other run(this was after our loss to City):

Since then we scored 2 goals in 3 games (2 draws and 1 loss). Huddersfield scored 2 and Brighton 3.

Ended up with the worst goalscoring record since March in the league(tied with relegated Huddersfield and almost relegated Brighton), 3 goals from open play for over 13 hours but apparently we played some great football.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
He’ll be the fall guy for Ed and the Glazers when we have a terrible season due to lack of spending.

Indnyc

I think you need to accept that we aren’t Manchester United of old and we’ll take time to come back.

We’ve been nowhere close to challenging for the title in the last 6 years.. We don’t have the Best Manager in the world and don’t have any structure in place.. Until that happens it’s a long road to recovery.. At least from the rumors, we are beginning to wake up and hopefully putting a structure in the background

Celoti23-81

It's both! The state of the club gave us a sentimental appointment of a manager that potentially could be worse than Moyes! Ole is a limited counter attacking manager, who got found out in the end.
The thing that also got under my skin was when Pogba was man marked against PSG, and had a poor game against Wolves, considering he was amazing in the previous games, Ole came out and said that he needed to play Pogba in a deeper role! Which was then the start of the changing of the tide of Ole's attitude towards the players in general! They were the best thing since sliced bread till the losing streak came!

fergiesarmy1

Some more stats during the other run(this was after our loss to City):

Since then we scored 2 goals in 3 games (2 draws and 1 loss). Huddersfield scored 2 and Brighton 3.

Ended up with the worst goalscoring record since March in the league(tied with relegated Huddersfield and almost relegated Brighton), 3 goals from open play for over 13 hours but apparently we played some great football.
Yeah but what’s your point :lol:

All kidding aside the season drifted away, we used to talk about lvg, Mourinho et all needing a window or 2, can’t we give Ole one?

Enigma_87

You know who
Yeah but what’s your point :lol:

All kidding aside the season drifted away, we used to talk about lvg, Mourinho et all needing a window or 2, can’t we give Ole one?
If things go to shit in December, who would you appoint as manager mid season? Would managers like Conte and Allegri be available like they are/were at the moment?

We will have another caretaker and in the next Summer another manager who would need 2 transfer seasons to asses the squad - there's Ed's pattern right there.

In the meantime Zidane is back at Real and Solari is not at the wheel during the Summer, because he didn't buy anyone and should be given a chance because he played for them 20 years ago.

Brian McNair

Am I mistaken or did 90% of fans and neutrals not entirely back him when he came in and we saw what we recognised as Manchester United for the first time in over half a decade.

It was difficult not to get carried away the results were incredible but more importantly, the football was exciting to watch.

Is it that he was given the contract needlessly without seeing out the season?

Last edited by a moderator:

fergiesarmy1

If things go to shit in December, who would you appoint as manager mid season? Would managers like Conte and Allegri be available like they are/were at the moment?

We will have another caretaker and in the next Summer another manager who would need 2 transfer seasons to asses the squad - there's Ed's pattern right there.

In the meantime Zidane is back at Real and Solari is not at the wheel during the Summer, because he didn't buy anyone and should be given a chance because he played for them 20 years ago.
I understand your concerns but it’s done now, we need to get behind him and hopefully the many many many changes that need making.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Spurs doesn’t have the same resources United has. Spurs are after players like Maddison, Lo Celso, Wilson, and Brooks, whereas United are after elite talent like De Ligt, Felix, Dybala, Sancho, Koulabaly and Jovic. Pochettino is not going to achieve what he doing this season at Spurs again when his competitors keeps bringing in more elite talent. Being in the finals would be a great send of for Pochettino to achieve bigger things at a bigger club. At United he can reach his goal easier and rebuild United the same way he did Spurs, but as a stronger team.

Spurs doesn’t have a better squad, he has an similar starting eleven with us and that is only assumed better because he gets the best out of average players and players who are elite talent. This team finished second before last season and we have some top talent here as showed during the honeymoon period. If Ajax and Spurs can get to the semi finals of the champions league with their squad, it is attainable for United as well who has a deeper talent pool to pick from.

I don’t see why we can’t challenge for the title with four-five new additions to this team. In ole table, we are in third place, so our team is much better than fans would give it credit for. All we need to challenge are good players in the right back position, ram/rm position, cdm position and cb position. With these additions and with our current players, if we don’t challenge, it will be a failure of a season. Liverpool was fourth last season before they accumulated 97 points. They made two good additions and now they are challenging. United just need similar type of signings.
Liverpool spent 4 years developing their style of football and steady building under Klopp. They couldn't just make every signing in one summer and compete. They also had a huge amount of luck throughout the season to get them to 97 points, and they still finished 2nd. Don't get me wrong, they're a brilliant team now, but 97 points isn't really representative of how they played over the season (probably were normal for close to 90, which is still really good). Anyway, it wasn't a sudden change. They were always growing and even last season when they finished 4th, they were capable of going toe to toe with the very best sides. They just had inconsistencies defensively which was holding them back with dumb mistakes, which they sorted out finally when they signed Allisson, Van Dijk and Fabinho. We're closer to where Liverpool was when Rodgers got sacked, i.e., take a few years of normal building to challenge in the best case scenario.
Also, yeah, we're 3rd in the Ole table, but well off the pace of the top 2, so it's not like we're just jumping up positions. It's that the top 2 are years ahead of us, so much so that even if one of those 2 managers took over at United (the top 2 managers in the world), it would still take a few years for us to get to that level.

As for Spurs, absolutely they have a better starting 11, depth not so much. It's nothing "assumed better" about it.
Kane > Rashford
Son > Martial
Lucas/Alli > any right sided player we put out
Eriksen = Pogba
Rose >= Shaw
Vertonghen > Lindelof
Alderweireld > Smalling
Trippier/Aurier > Young (though Trippier still shite)
Lloris < De Gea

Left out the midfield 2 that both sides play (behind erikson/pogba), but it's a shite area for both teams.

Basically, challenging for the title is impossible next season because the top 2 already have the top 2 managers in world football, both have big transfer spending power, both have been building their teams for years, both have quality all over the pitch with their key players at a prime age with quality players to back them up, and are among the top 2 teams in the world. United are at the start of a transition essentially, we have to rebuild a lot and it'll take a few years even if we do everything perfectly. We've just fallen so far off the pace while those 2 have gone from strength to strength so that's the reality. We aren't competing for the same top level as what it was between 2013 until 2017. It's a lot higher now.

Enigma_87

You know who
I understand your concerns but it’s done now, we need to get behind him and hopefully the many many many changes that need making.
Well hopefully I'm wrong of course and if he manages to make it.

Hopefully the players he will bring will be useful for us, but there's another concern with the players we are linked - who seems to be from Premiership/Championship which will no doubt come at a premium price, whilst there are very good alternatives across the sea.

fergiesarmy1

Well hopefully I'm wrong of course and if he manages to make it.

Hopefully the players he will bring will be useful for us, but there's another concern with the players we are linked - who seems to be from Premiership/Championship which will no doubt come at a premium price, whilst there are very good alternatives across the sea.
Well that’s another problem whether it’s home or abroad we are going to HAVE to pay a premium as every club knows we are looking to ship out and buy in on pretty big scales, we aren’t as fans being payed millions to do it though so it’s up to those guys and if they fail it should be their heads not ole’s