What a fantastic crop of youngsters we have...

julesee

Watching Michael Barnes' performance for the reserves mid-week really cemented my view that we have a fantastic crop of youngsters....Barnes, Martin, Evans, Rossi, Lee, Pique, Foster, Brandy etc etc....

Will Fergie really want to retire in a couple of seasons when this lot are coming through? I doubt it....I really do...

The next few years are going to be very exciting! I just hope Fergie gives these boys a chance relatively quickly...

PS18

Mainoldo said:
Is Barnes the one from Derby???

Nah, that's Giles Barnes, who's still at Derby. We signed Michael Barnes from Lancaster City last season.

Looked completely overawed tonight and by the looks of things got the hairdryer treatment before extra time, hope that doesn't knock his confidence too much - looks a bit fragile as it is.

Phil Marsh looked way out of his depth tonight, David Gray less so but you could see his limitations. The Jones' did well enough, and Kieran Lee was excellent when he came on.

ANWAR

PS18 said:
Nah, that's Giles Barnes, who's still at Derby. We signed Michael Barnes from Lancaster City last season.

Looked completely overawed tonight and by the looks of things got the hairdryer treatment before extra time, hope that doesn't knock his confidence too much - looks a bit fragile as it is.

Phil Marsh looked way out of his depth tonight, David Gray less so but you could see his limitations. The Jones' did well enough, and Kieran Lee was excellent when he came on.
i don't know where you got your info' from but micheal barnes came on at half time and was by far our best player until he got injured

PS18

ANWAR said:
i don't know where you got your info' from but micheal barnes came on at half time and was by far our best player until he got injured
Erm, I watched the game mate, ta very much. Barnes was poor - he looked utterly terrified and didn't beat his fullback once. Put in a few decent crosses but they were nearly all from deep and, as such, nearly all easily defended.

OGS was by far our best player all night btw, even Stevie Wonder would be able to tell you that.

julesee

I'm sorry PS18 but the guy is very young and you are being very harsh....he is very skillful - you boviously werent watching the last reserve game. Pace, good dribbling skills, and good crossing ability - believe me this kid has it....dont judge a kid on one match against much older players...

PS18

Jules, if you have a look in the thread about which youngsters should be included for last night's game, I was disappointed he didn't initially appear on the squad list, precisely BECAUSE i'd seen him in the last reserve game and in numerous others for both the reserves and the academy, I know what he's capable of and I was hoping he'd make an immediate impact.

I'm simply giving a view of his performance last night, not using it to judge him as a player. Nor am I writing him off - he certainly possesses all the qualities you list, but he simply didn't (for whatever reason) translate them to the first team stage last night. Hopefully next time he gets the chance, he's better prepared and puts on a better show, as I'm sure he's capable of.

People need to a) stop being so over-protective - these players do have faults and their bad games, and it's as important to point these out as it is to praise them when things go well, and b) realise that just because someone has a different view to you on a young player, it doesn't mean they have seen any less of them.