What are expectations for next season?

Crashoutcassius

How did they get fairly wrong? We are in top 4 but never were fighting for the league title. If anything, we got it bang on.

With Chelsea on the upswing and Liverpool likely to get it together, we would be fighting for top 4 again. That's hardly a controversial statement. Does anyone in their right mind think Ole can get the best of Pep/Klopp or even Tuchel even with squads remaining the same for everyone?
I dont think it is right to say we were fighting for top 4 this season, we put out comedy teams in a few of our last games because we were so comfortable

This isn't an ole out thread so don't really wanna engage in all that rubbish, there are seventy five other threads for people to tell me the same things they have been for 2 years

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It depends on spend. If we have a summer of Sancho/Torres/Trippier/Heaton and don't sell Pogba, (but City sign Kane) I'd expect:
  • Soft title challenge (more than this year) but ultimately dropping off
  • Compete for the CL and if we do get knocked out, not get out classed but it just be a tight game that didn't go our way
  • Competitive in League Cup & FA Cup, and as in the CL, if we do get knocked out, needs to be in a tight game that just didn't go our way.
If we sign the above and a holding midfielder like Rice, then I'd expect a real title challenge along with the strong cup showing.

If we don't sign Sancho (don't care about the rest), I would expect a top 4 fight but ultimately make it in 3rd/4th, and a solid showing in the cups and again, if we drop out, not to be out classed in a knockout tie.

Basically, I think we have the personnel right now to put in a strong Cup run in any Cup. Not favourites, but should run it close and shouldn't be outclassed either. It's the league where we'll see the biggest differences. If we have a solid but nothing special transfer window, I'd expect similar League performance to this year. If we get that special talent like Sancho in attack and fill other gaps, then I'd expect a step up and a title challenge.

laughtersassassin

A trophy. If no trophy is won the only thing that can make it acceptable is an actual title challenge where it's very close to the very end.

In truth I predict neither. Won't have the title run cause we won't have a good enough summer.

And I don't think we will win a trophy as we will only really have a shot at the Carabao and the FA cup and we just don't seem to have the bottle or know how to cross the line.

So really make expectations in what should happen and what will happen are vastly different.

Last edited:

SAFMUTD

Expectations or prediction?

My expectations it that we can actually challenge for the title, meaning having a real shot until the very last day of the season. Getting into semifinals of UCL or at least falling out in quarter finals fighting for it not just bullied out of it.

Now my prediction is we'll be pretty much around this year, around high/low 70 points weather thats enough to be comfortably on top 4 or not would depend on the other teams, and well probably fall out on UCL quarter finals without putting much of a fight.

Drawfull

I think the better home form desire is a bit of a red herring. It looks like the lack of fans has adversely affected us at home, whilst improving our performances overall away. But I think with the anticipated return of fans, we could see the reverse happen.

That said, I expect us to do at least as well as this season points wise, and possibly a sneaky challenge on the title. If not for our late season 'collapse' (which probably attributed to City's stuttering form at the end), we'd have been very close this year.

Final mentality on the whole is a bit of a red flag, but the duck will be broken eventually I'm sure.

Crashoutcassius

It depends on spend. If we have a summer of Sancho/Torres/Trippier/Heaton and don't sell Pogba, (but City sign Kane) I'd expect:
  • Soft title challenge (more than this year) but ultimately dropping off
  • Compete for the CL and if we do get knocked out, not get out classed but it just be a tight game that didn't go our way
  • Competitive in League Cup & FA Cup, and as in the CL, if we do get knocked out, needs to be in a tight game that just didn't go our way.
If we sign the above and a holding midfielder like Rice, then I'd expect a real title challenge along with the strong cup showing.

If we don't sign Sancho (don't care about the rest), I would expect a top 4 fight but ultimately make it in 3rd/4th, and a solid showing in the cups and again, if we drop out, not to be out classed in a knockout tie.

Basically, I think we have the personnel right now to put in a strong Cup run in any Cup. Not favourites, but should run it close and shouldn't be outclassed either. It's the league where we'll see the biggest differences. If we have a solid but nothing special transfer window, I'd expect similar League performance to this year. If we get that special talent like Sancho in attack and fill other gaps, then I'd expect a step up and a title challenge.
Yeah I'd agree with that. Hard to see us improving without first team signings

Crashoutcassius

Expectations or prediction?

My expectations it that we can actually challenge for the title, meaning having a real shot until the very last day of the season. Getting into semifinals of UCL or at least falling out in quarter finals fighting for it not just bullied out of it.

Now my prediction is we'll be pretty much around this year, around high/low 70 points weather thats enough to be comfortably on top 4 or not would depend on the other teams, and well probably fall out on UCL quarter finals without putting much of a fight.
The question is guess is what is an acceptable season for ole

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
League title.
Expectation to win the title? I'd hope this is based on an expectation we sign Torres/Rice/Sancho AND Kane and City don't really strengthen... because as it stands it looks likely that City will be PL & CL winners and are favourites to sign one of Grealish or Kane on top of that...

SAFMUTD

The question is guess is what is an acceptable season for ole
For Ole or for ManUtd? For Ole it would be hard to say because it depends on what players can we bring in the summer. But even if we don't get anyone in, the least we should aspire is 80-85 points.

Now regarding ManUtd, anything below a top title is unacceptable.

Robbie Boy

A title push, better football, more youth integrated into the first team, CL QF and a good domestic cup run.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
The current squad I'd expect to finish 4th with Ole or any other manager.

rron10

Supports
Sir Alex
- Over 80 points in the league and finish second
- QF in the CL
- A trophy...?!

Play better football, fix our defensive woes, break up teams who sit back and wait.

PSV

The absolute minimum expectations are top 4 in the league and an advancement from the CL group.
A great season would be quarterfinal or further and comfortably 3rd or above (given that Liverpool/City have vastly better squads).
If we go near the title in either of these tournaments it would be an outstanding season.

Like this season I couldn't care less about the FA Cup or the EFL Cup. Give games to the kids.

With proper investment (£150m+) we can yank that minimum up to a title challenge as outsiders.

Cathy Ferguson

Sancho or Graelish, Torres, Neves and Trippier will make us soft title contenders but if City end up with Kane we will end up at least 10 points behind.

We will reach QF or SF in the CL.

Overall we will witness some progress but we will still be some distance behind City, Bayern, et al.

If we only sign Sancho and Torres then we will be destined for 3rd or 4th.

OrcaFat

For me personally
- At least 80 points in the league
- Proper league challenge
- Much better home form
- A trophy of some sort
- Have to get better at defending set pieces. Being the second worst in the league is simply unacceptable

Having a check list of "demands" is a bit daft, but any manager here has to show steady improvement
I agree with your list apart from the Trophy part. Cups are a lottery.

If we make two first 11 quality signings and don’t lose anyone critical, I don’t think a proper, down-to-the-wire title challenge is unreasonable or unlikely. We could win the league but it wouldn’t demand it at this point.

OrcaFat

If we could bring in Jack Grealish, Jadon Sancho and Declan Rice I would want us to challenge on all fronts.
Agreed. Those three would be utterly transformative. Impossible to get all three; even one of those guys coming here would surprise me a bit.

JuriM

Win every competition we enter - like every season. We manage expectations during the season, not before it.

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
There is nothing wrong with having certain standards, especially for a club like United.

3d place finish, 2n place finish means that stability is coming back at the club, which was very important after the post SAF cycle of a manager coming in, not performing well after a while and getting the inevitable sack.

The club now has a manger who is learning on the job, with 2 top4 finishes consecutive but not being able to deliver in the tournament format with 3 semi finals and a final. The next logical step is to evaluate why this has happened and making the actual squad investments for the weaker places (defense, midfield and wide positions).

What we rationally can expect is a title race, specific investments and the offload of players who contributed to this team not being able to deliver during the important moments. A minum of 1 trophy should be the target as well, due to the fact that progress at some point in time has to pay back in the form of silverware.

Greck

A trophy, any will do. End this embarrassing dry spell

DJW

Is anyone else genuinely concerned Ole has taken us a far as we can under him ? He’s done a steady job of restoring some hope & moved forward in the right direction.

But with Tuchel, Klopp, & Pep all being far far better and new signings or key players returning... are we left in a battle for 4/5 th ??

I just can’t ever see Ole taking us to the heights we would all expect to see under a top top manager. I’m content to see how next seasons goes without a new contract and then reevaluate. At least the next manager has a much better platform to work from ?!

Josh 76

A fight with Leicester to finish 4th.
CL knock out stage
Hopefully one of the cups.

if we can sign 3 more players who can walk into the first 11. Then the season 22/23, I would expect a title challenge with then another 2 signings.

so basically half a new team.

Rashford
Greenwood
Maguire
Shaw
Bruno
AWB (if he improves)

They are the only players I would hope are still in the team by then.

Stacks

For me personally
- At least 80 points in the league
- Proper league challenge
- Much better home form
- A trophy of some sort
- Have to get better at defending set pieces. Being the second worst in the league is simply unacceptable

Having a check list of "demands" is a bit daft, but any manager here has to show steady improvement
80 points isn't gonna cut a league challenge most likely

redflash

Expectations build on the year we've had.

Challenge for league title (I.e. reduce points gap to 1st place, ideally to sub five pts or less) (hope to win it but doubtful we can at minute unless we have a spectacular transfer window)

Go deep in CL need to be getting to at least the QF.

Good cup runs in both domestic cup competitions.

See progression in our "star" players.

Rashford, martial, Greenwood, Bruno all need to be hitting 30+ G/A combined

Add 15-20 from Cavani that'll see us alright.

Defence needs to be much better

Foxbatt

Expectations build on the year we've had.

Challenge for league title (I.e. reduce points gap to 1st place, ideally to sub five pts or less) (hope to win it but doubtful we can at minute unless we have a spectacular transfer window)

Go deep in CL need to be getting to at least the QF.

Good cup runs in both domestic cup competitions.

See progression in our "star" players.

Rashford, martial, Greenwood, Bruno all need to be hitting 30+ G/A combined

Add 15-20 from Cavani that'll see us alright.

Defence needs to be much better
Add to this list. Coaching needs to be way much better.

TheBreadTruck

Honestly, a PL title over the next 2 seasons as a culmination of this initial project is a must. Otherwise it's a not a failure but a disaster of a 5 year investment, considering the road we've gone down.

Seeing progress is one thing, but silverware next season and PL within the next 2 are my expectations.

BoltonWanderer

Supports
Bolton Wanderers
I think United just have to keep getting better. That sounds obvious but the trajectory over the last few years has been very positive and as long as that keeps going in the right way, that's fine. I see it different to most United fans because obviously your priority is winning trophies but to me, the absolute last thing United need is to switch direction completely and end up needing to do another rebuilding job.

Whether people like Ole will win titles or not is irrelevant at the moment I think, because what he's unquestionably done so far is get rid of a lot of dead wood and bring in talent. That needs to carry on. You could get a manager like Conte in and if it works, great, he'll win trophies but if it doesn't, it'll be another rebuilding job in a year or two, with another steady manager who takes things slow.

I like Ole and I hope he can win a title at United but if he doesn't, that isn't to say he's a failure. A few years ago, United fans were saying "we'll be happy to not win a league if we can rebuild properly" and now that it's happening, fans are getting impatient. That's completely understandable as a fan too, by the way, I'm not criticising that mentality because you can't lose it as a fan...but from the outside, I think Ole is doing what United want and what most United fans wanted. They wanted that slow progress, getting rid of deadwood (Smalling, Young etc.), bringing in talent (Cavani, Fernandes etc.), giving youth a chance (Amad, Greenwood etc.)

United will have to start questioning Ole in a couple of seasons but for now, he's doing fine with the squad he currently has. More talent needs to be added (Left wing, striker, centre mid and centre back) but the foundation is solid. Maybe Ole can win a title with more talent but if not, replace him when that squad is right. At the very least, he's doing an exceptional job managing the squad and that has to carry on.

Reactions: Sultan

Ixion

I do not care about end of season point totals, they can easily vary from one year to the next what you achieve with them. I want to be in the title race until the end of the season, in the running with a possible chance in April, show we can produce in a full season and not when it's already over. If Liverpool or City or whoever are marching ahead by Christmas and we are once again not in the race then the season is a failure.

Last edited:

Withnail

I'd expect our home form to improve significantly with fans back and obviously we aren't going to go another season unbeaten away. Hopefully our away form doesn't drop off too much.

I think it all depends on who comes in. If we get what we need i.e. upgrades for RW, DM, CB then I'd expect us to challenge for the title as well as getting to the latter stages of the CL.

If it's an underwhelming window then we'll probably be in a top 4 battle but we should still have a decent CL run.

Roane

Not an Ole out comment.

I think next season will be key to give us a better picture of where we are player and manager wise.

I think this season was an anomaly in terms of no preseason and from what Ole said a lack of real training and preparation time. I think it's underplayed that maybe Ole just didn't have the right environment to rotate and the pressure maybe the reason for overplaying certain players.

With a preseason and maybe a signing or two we should be able to guage the season in the first few months of it starting.