What are we doing wrong?

Bogga

Seems like selling players is really tough. Sending them on loan also seems a bit tough, amazed we were able to send Pereira to Lazio...

The Smalling saga have been going on since forever and Roma seems to have said we're impossible to deal with.
We just can't get the Telles deal over the line
Dortmund put a deadline for Sancho on the 10th of august, yet we seem to have a go

These are just the three I can think of for the moment. But other clubs seems to get deals wrapped up quite quickly, yet we've been linked with the likes of Sancho and getting rid of Smalldini since what feels like forever. We must've had time and opportunity to take a look at all this when corona put a stop to everything. The only info we have are what we get from Twitter and so called ITK's, but based on that we're totally incompetent and embarassing to deal with. VDB seemed to go smooth, but I guess VDS made it a bit easier? I'm not saying we should just put up the amount of money everyone is asking, we have to be economically sound. Are the clubs we're dealing with tough and wont budge or are we the ones messing it up... cause as I said, all other clubs seems to get things done.
I we don't get players to improve our squad we're in for a tough time that in the end will be a financial blow as well...

What are your thoughts on this?

Tel074

Seems like selling players is really tough. Sending them on loan also seems a bit tough, amazed we were able to send Pereira to Lazio...

The Smalling saga have been going on since forever and Roma seems to have said we're impossible to deal with.
We just can't get the Telles deal over the line
Dortmund put a deadline for Sancho on the 10th of august, yet we seem to have a go

These are just the three I can think of for the moment. But other clubs seems to get deals wrapped up quite quickly, yet we've been linked with the likes of Sancho and getting rid of Smalldini since what feels like forever. We must've had time and opportunity to take a look at all this when corona put a stop to everything. The only info we have are what we get from Twitter and so called ITK's, but based on that we're totally incompetent and embarassing to deal with. VDB seemed to go smooth, but I guess VDS made it a bit easier? I'm not saying we should just put up the amount of money everyone is asking, we have to be economically sound. Are the clubs we're dealing with tough and wont budge or are we the ones messing it up... cause as I said, all other clubs seems to get things done.
I we don't get players to improve our squad we're in for a tough time that in the end will be a financial blow as well...

What are your thoughts on this?

No we have a shower of incompetent halfwits doing a job they really are not very good at

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
With selling players we can't really win.

Ship them off for buttons, and people will moan that Chelsea/Liverpool etc seem to get good fees for their players.
Try and negotiate for the best deal and fans will moan we're incompetent at selling.

Similarly, when we sign players fans cry to do whatever it takes to bring them in - which usually means high wages.

But then when these high wages are what stops us selling them down the line - the same fans cry that we're incompetent with the wages.

Add in that many fans use the "it's not my money" argument, often linked with the view that we should ship players off for no or small fees, but seem unable to comprehend that if you do both of those things, you'll have very little money left!

Mohamed 11

I think we cannot be sure what's wrong until we know the truth of what's happening behind the scenes.
The problem is we'll probably never know the truth.
I hope Ed would come out after this disastrous window and explain what's going on, but unfortunately that's highly unlikely.

Mr PG

We have poor quality deadwood nobody really wants. no competing bids means buying club dictates the price

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We have poor quality deadwood nobody really wants. no competing bids means buying club dictates the price
Because we let them become deadwood in the first place. Players like Harry Wilson, Grujic etc. would become deadwood at Liverpool if they held on to them for another season or two instead of selling whilst they have value. That’s our biggest problem — we hold onto players for no real reason, whilst a club like Liverpool are actively trying to get rid.

Dan James is a perfect example. If we keep hold of him for another season we’ll struggle to even get half of what we paid for him when it comes to selling.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
The key problem is that you offer high wages and improved contracts too easily. This has at least two negative effects: the annual wage bill reduces your transfer budget and it's more difficult to sell players (because they don't want to move on from easy street and/or potential buying clubs won't or can't match those wages).

You could also argue that it reduces the incentive for your players to work hard and improve in the hopes of bigger wages ... because they already have big wages.