What are you optimistic about going into a new season?

Lemansky

There have been a lot of negativity these last days - rightfully so. This transfer window was underwhelming and Woodward don’t seem fit to do the job. There is a lot of unanswered questions.

After watching the pre season I am pretty optimistic over several things going forward.

Our squad has a very good average age
We have strengthened defence
The squad looks much fitter
Some of the talents coming through looks like real players (Greenwood and Gomes especially)
The harmony in the squad looks good
We kept both Pogba and DDG which is vital
The system Ole wants to implement looks very good

For me there is a lot of positives going into this new season and I am looking forward to it. We are starting to get a young core of really talented players which surely will be added to in the coming transfer windows.

Jacob

How does his system look good exactly?

Only time will tell if the likes of Greenwood, James and Gomes will play ahead of Lingard and Mata. They can be much worse surely.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Seeing if Harry Maguire and AWB solidifying our defence. Hope James can make an impact. It is a long time since we have had someone wide who gets you off your seat. Hopefully Ole starts bringing the likes of Axel, Gomes and Greenwood into the first team and Chong and Garner getting time as well.

Rashford and Martial realise they are now the main men and seeing if they can deal with that sort of pressure.

See if Scott can improve even more

Seeing if the DDG was an abberation.

Hoping it is Lindelof who gets the chance to build a partnership with Maguire.

The rest I am not bothered about.

What @Jacob said about the system and style of play and if they are now really fit.

Loon

:lol:
The defence. Looking forward to seeing Wan-Bissaka as I must admit he's a mystery to me.

jeff_goldblum

Sorting the defence is a big plus, Maguire and AWB are both a significant improvement on what we had. Hopefully having confidence in the defence will allow the attacking players to play with more freedom. I'm excited to see Greenwood and Gomes more involved, and they likely will be as Lukaku has moved on and James isn't nailed-on to start games.

Hopefully the squad's deficiencies won't stop us being in the running for the Champion's League spots by mid-season and that we'll see the Lukaku money re-invested in January to fill the obvious gaps.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We strengthened our defence while weakening midfield and forward line. We'll be relying heavily on Ole's good will on risking everything by playing kids and on kids to step up big time. I still think we might edge it mainly because the top 4 isn't that impossible to get + there's the Europa league get out of jail card. However, we really made things difficult on ourselves.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I think McTominay is gonna kill it. AWB and Maguire will slot in perfectly, our best two signings since Fergie left.

Based partially on pre-season and partially on a hunch, I think we might see a serious Martial. A pressing, off-the-ball running, determined Martial.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
I think what folk have already said. See how our back 4 operates...

Obviously going forward the excitement is the likes of Greenwood, Gomes, Chong, Garner and James getting minutes and developing.

Also keen on seeing what McTominay can do playing in the middle regularly. He shows promise, and I must admit looks a better player than I gave him credit for. But now, given recent displays, the bar is higher...so let's see how he gets on with higher expectations.

Alabaster Codify7

Maguire, AWB, James, Greenwood, Gomes.

That's it. Just watching a handful of players I'm keen to see wearing the shirt. Chong needs to be loaned out I reckon, same with Axel, for different reasons. Chong isn't ready, Axel needs regular game-time.

Jacckk1985

Thinks we should ban Niall
None of Martial, Rashford and new boys Wan Bissaka, Daniel James haven't reached their peak yet, which means every game they play it's a chance to see them evolve.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Apart from the obvious (Maguire and AWB) I'm looking forward to watching Martial and Rashford tearing up the Premier League and scoring 20+ goals apiece.

If I try really really really hard, I can just about manage to be that optimistic.

Also Greenwood turning out to be the best young talent we've brought through in a generation. I don't have to try as hard with this one.

Red Royal

I hope we stick to our identity, Ole sees out this tough season and we are in the fight for top 4. There will a few ups and downs along the way... but this is a new season, the transfer window is shut and we should get behind our boys. A result against Chelski will do us wonders.

Oh, I am also optimistic of getting a few more likes by my dear Red Cafe friends this year :-)

Pavl3n

I'm optimistic that we will watch exciting United. Pressing from the front rather than containing.
Optimistic that we only have young kids up front with bags of potential and we have a team of coaches who are dedicated to the team and are willing to improve them, rather than making themselves look good.

I'm also optimistic that some players will get exposed this season and they'll have no choice but move on next summer.
I won't put down names but we all know them.

Ainu

I'm very pessimistic about our chances going into this season but fortunately I can still pick out a few things I'm looking forward to:

- Our entire defensive unit - and I do hope it will be a unit. I've enjoyed watching Lindelöf play for much of last season and I hope he continues in the same vein. If Shaw can up his level a little and the newcomers deliver what we expect from them, we should be good.
- The kids. No idea what to expect from them as I don't follow the youth teams or reserves, but enough people are raving about them to get me curious. If they really are that good, I hope they get plenty of game time next season.
- McTominay's (himself almost still a kid) continued development as a first teamer.

I'm struggling beyond that though.

Name Changed

weso26
Gomes, Greenwood, Tuanzebe and AWB. That's it to be honest. I'm not looking forward to the new season.

passing-wind

Ole's excuses when things start getting spoiled. Will be interesting to see him break character given the glazers have thrown him under the bus but Ole is as foolish as the hierarchy. The only person at this club who made any effort to ensure th right questions were being asked is Phelan the rest of the management should be cast off.

romufc

New Back 4 essentially.
Hopefully he starts with McT, Pogba, James, Martial and Rashford.

As long as we don't start many prem games with Matic, Perreira, Mata all in the same 11 we should be ok.