What could have been? Ronaldinho's failed transfer revisited.

meamth

Kenyon was less successful in signing Ronaldinho, but says United became uncomfortable with the amount of money needed to prise the Brazilian from PSG.

"We did try really hard for Ronaldinho and in the end we offered what was a load of money, even by our standards," explained Kenyon.

Ronaldinho joined Barcelona in 2003, and won the Balon d'Or in 2005

"Getting the player for the amount of money paid didn't sit well at United. There was a decision that if he is right and we do want him we will pay, because we could.

"It crossed the line and on reflection - and this is not about his ability - it turned out to be a great decision."
Let's discuss, what if Ronaldinho's transfer materialized for United, will he be a success or a failure?

1. Likes to party, even in his PSG days, he is quoted to be so focused on partying instead of training.
2. Will he fit in with the rest of United squad during that time?
3. Can Fergie change him into a seasoned pro? (no more partying, just focused on football)
4. Will he bring success to United?
5. If he succeeded in Manchester, will he be able to keep his prime longer than what he had with Barca?

Web of Bissaka

Success/

1. Matters not, plenty of our players were also the party-goers.
2. Best question.
3. No because even with the partying, he still is a good seasoned pro at that time and even after joining Barca before you-know-what. Fergie will ensure he will last longer and remained focused for maybe 2-3 more years.
4. Definitely.

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
I think the key point here is that we rebuilt with Rooney and Ronaldo which resulted in our 2nd legendary team under SAF in 2008.

If we had signed Ronaldinho this may never have happened.

Considering the signings of 2003-5 ended up being huge successes I don't care that we missed Ronaldinho.

I'm sure he would have been a success, but maybe we wouldn't have been as successful.

Web of Bissaka

2. Will he fit in with the rest of United squad during that time?
:D Maybe this should be the main focus of this thread.

Our squad at that time:
GK: Howard, Carroll
DEF: Nevs, Rio, Brown, O'Shea, Fortune, Silvestre
MID: CR, Butt, Keane, Scholes, Giggs, Kleberson, Djemba2, Ole, Fletcher
ATK: RVN, Bellion, Forlan

---

Would Ronaldinho play RW? Definitely Becks replacement.

RVN
Giggs - Scholes - Ronaldinho
PNev - Keane
O'Shea - Silvestre - Rio - GNev
Howard

Subs: Forlan, Ronaldo, Fletcher, Fortune, Brown, Carroll
Trade-off, would meant CR7 getting less games, but I'm confident he'll challenge Giggs for a place on the starting 11. He's much better attacking from the left anyway.

With GNev providing the right width overlap always, Ronaldinho would be freely drifted to the centre whenever he wants.
RVN would also enjoy more having good services from him.
Ronaldinho is also good at physical tussles, would adapt quickly to the league.

No problems at all - he'll fit right in with the squad.

meamth

:D Maybe this should be the main focus of this thread.

Our squad at that time:
GK: Howard, Carroll
DEF: Nevs, Rio, Brown, O'Shea, Fortune, Silvestre
MID: CR, Butt, Keane, Scholes, Giggs, Kleberson, Djemba2, Ole, Fletcher
ATK: RVN, Bellion, Forlan

---

Would Ronaldinho play RW? Definitely Becks replacement.

RVN
Giggs - Scholes - Ronaldinho
PNev - Keane
O'Shea - Silvestre - Rio - GNev
Howard

Subs: Forlan, Ronaldo, Fletcher, Fortune, Brown, Carroll
Trade-off, would meant CR7 getting less games, but I'm confident he'll challenge Giggs for a place on the starting 11. He's much better attacking from the left anyway.

With GNev providing the right width overlap always, Ronaldinho would be freely drifted to the centre whenever he wants.
RVN would also enjoy more having good services from him.
Ronaldinho is also good at physical tussles, would adapt quickly to the league.

No problems at all - he'll fit right in with the squad.
Nice insight there, thank you.

But that's the on field theory, he could've have worked, definitely.

My mind still wondering if he is the right fit for United? Would Fergie allow someone to be as outgoing as him in the club?

Web of Bissaka

I think the key point here is that we rebuilt with Rooney and Ronaldo which resulted in our 2nd legendary team under SAF in 2008.

If we had signed Ronaldinho this may never have happened.

Considering the signings of 2003-5 ended up being huge successes I don't care that we missed Ronaldinho.

I'm sure he would have been a success, but maybe we wouldn't have been as successful.
I say we still would.
All three of them don't have the same playstyle and so won't clash with each other.

Ronaldinho's playmaking abilities would balance the side more I felt since around the time Rooney joined, not long after Scholes had his freak eye problems and Giggs were declining and moving more centrally. May even balance the issue of mismatch between CR and RVN, although Saha brought out the best of both. Ronaldinho is for me similar to Giggs in that they're more of a playmaking winger than just pure wingers although Giggs is more onto assisting and Ronaldinho is more onto doing all the attacking being the main man so basically like prime Beckham. When Scholes are in charge of the playmaking, it doesn't affects Rooney and Ronaldo performances.

Imagine the 3Rs or even 4Rs.

RVN
Rooney
Ronaldinho -- Scholes -- Keane -- Ronaldo
:cool:Love to see that.

Web of Bissaka

My mind still wondering if he is the right fit for United? Would Fergie allow someone to be as outgoing as him in the club?
That's the only thing that is a concern.

Looking at cases like Yorke and Anderson.
But I'm confident Ronaldinho will end up like Rio, since both Rony and Rio have pride to be the main man imo.

NoneBmStore

What a sight to behold it would have been
It would be the answer to how Messi would do on a cold rainy night in Stoke
Peak-Dinho is equal to Messi.

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
I say we still would.
All three of them don't have the same playstyle and so won't clash with each other.

Ronaldinho's playmaking abilities would balance the side more I felt since around the time Rooney joined, not long after Scholes had his freak eye problems and Giggs were declining and moving more centrally. May even balance the issue of mismatch between CR and RVN, although Saha brought out the best of both. Ronaldinho is for me similar to Giggs in that they're more of a playmaking winger than just pure wingers although Giggs is more onto assisting and Ronaldinho is more onto doing all the attacking being the main man so basically like prime Beckham. When Scholes are in charge of the playmaking, it doesn't affects Rooney and Ronaldo performances.

Imagine the 3Rs or even 4Rs.

RVN
Rooney
Ronaldinho -- Scholes -- Keane -- Ronaldo
:cool:Love to see that.
My point more is that we may have not signed both Rooney or Ronaldo

James Peril

I am glad Ronaldinho went to Barcelona and created history, for me he was the most entertaining player ever to grace the game... in that team and league. At United, we’ll never know of course and it’s a shame, but he wouldn’t have the same artistic freedom. Absolutely sublime footballer and nobody’s close to matching him. Even Ronaldo and Messi are average Joe’s compared to him, and that says a lot.

Mindhunter

We didn't have a great record with cultured players from Latin America and so there was a high probability that Ronaldinho wouldn't have been as successful with us as at Barca. Our team was built on the ethos of youth, fast pace, incessant running, high energy football which wouldn't be the ideal environment for Ronaldinho to flourish.