What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

united for life

Declan Rice
he was class against us. Physical, went up the pitch, was seem in his own half, in out box, high intense play. Such a great player. Dominant performance today. What’s really remarkable is that his hair remained tidy the whole game; how good is he?

L1nk

Yes we should wait until he establishes himself that’s the whole point of us being Manchester United and not Fulham.

We are not at a stage to be taking risks..

ETH literally has this next transfer window or he could be out of a job come the next one. So I don’t think he has time to be nurturing players like Thuram when his first team isn’t right now.

But fine you feel different I just don’t understand who people think we will improve without buying top tier players. The manager said it himself. Flipping Hoijlund as our main striker. Is this some silly joke.

Critque it at will:

Kane - ST
Rabiot - CM
Caicedo - CM
Vanderson - RB
Raya - GK
Enzo yeah sure. But for us he cost £24m and that’s a risk if we are looking for him to fill a whole that Casemiro filled. Sure if we are buying him with the potential to replace Casemiro then it’s good business. I think Real spent similar acquiring Camavinga.

Surely you can understand why that deal doesn’t get done. As for Alvarez.. again listen to what I am saying… yes last season we should have brought a player like him with as he would have added great squad depth to CR7 and Martial. But now we need a first team striker like how City got Haaland and Alvarez’s profile is not sufficient right now.

Why is this hard to grasp. We are 4th trying to push forward to be number 1. Our transfers should reflect this. No it doesn’t mean we buy Mbappe. But surely we want players better than what we have.
It's not hard to grasp in the slightest, and your choices i'm not against, but what you're failing to grasp is reality, we don't have the unlimited budget that you seem to think we have.

Kane - Isn't going for anything less than 80-100 million because of Levy, if he will even sell to a domestic rival. Hell if Nagelsmann joins as seems to be the rumour then don't be surprised to see Kane commit more time to Tottenham

Rabiot - Free for sure, and unlike some people here I wouldn't have minded had we got him in the summer as we almost did, not sure about his profile but seems to me like we said no before because he was demanding a little too much?

Caicedo - Would love for us to sign him but he literally just signed a new contract until 2027, we hold absolutely no cards here, meaning Brighton can fleece every penny they want and they know how good he is, there's no way we get him for the same price we'd pay for say Thuram or Levia, he'd be way more expensive, something in the Kane range.

Vanderson -
Swap Hojlund for Kane
Obviously, but is not realistic within our budget is it unfortunately

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Swap Hojlund for Kane
I think we need to stop spending more than 70m or 80m or 100m on a player from now on. It doesn't work at all for the likes of Maguire, Sancho, and Antony. Look at Arsenal under Arteta, they didn't to spend more than 50m on a player to be where they are. If we won't use Greenwood, then we should find another new young striker to develop and Hojlund is the profile.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Buy: 220m (640k)
  • Diogo Costa £45m (150k)
  • Ugarte £40m (120k)
  • Kim £45m (200k)
  • Frimpong £30m (90k)
  • Hojlund £60m (80k)
Diogo Costa
Frimpong
- Kim - Martinez - Shaw
Casemiro - Ugarte
Antony - Bruno - Rashford
Hojlund

Sell: 130m (645k)
Greenwood £25m (75k)
Maguire £15m (200k)
Mctominay £20m (60k)
VDB (15m) £120k
Elanga £9m
Bissaka £11m (90k)
Henderson £15m (100k)
DDG Out of contract (£20m salary)

Mainoldo

It's not hard to grasp in the slightest, and your choices i'm not against, but what you're failing to grasp is reality, we don't have the unlimited budget that you seem to think we have.

Kane - Isn't going for anything less than 80-100 million because of Levy, if he will even sell to a domestic rival. Hell if Nagelsmann joins as seems to be the rumour then don't be surprised to see Kane commit more time to Tottenham

Rabiot - Free for sure, and unlike some people here I wouldn't have minded had we got him in the summer as we almost did, not sure about his profile but seems to me like we said no before because he was demanding a little too much?

Caicedo - Would love for us to sign him but he literally just signed a new contract until 2027, we hold absolutely no cards here, meaning Brighton can fleece every penny they want and they know how good he is, there's no way we get him for the same price we'd pay for say Thuram or Levia, he'd be way more expensive, something in the Kane range.

Vanderson -

Obviously, but is not realistic within our budget is it unfortunately
After today I’m definitely not budging on my stance.

If you aren’t better than what we have I don’t want you.

Kane is world class I don’t care if he cost £100m we get him.

Rabiot is an established top tier CM. He’s better than anyone else bare De Jong, that we have been linked with. Declan Rice potentially is the same level but I will not be fooled by overrating players, but Declan Rice as I’ve continuously said is far better than anyone we have except the obvious in Casemiro.

Don’t get me started on the keeper and not being a priority he’s arguably our main priority with our striker.

I fully understand the budget but like this club does every summer they will have to figure it out and be ruthless with it. If that means finally selling players for their market value then do it.

Mainoldo

Buy: 220m (640k)
  • Diogo Costa £45m (150k)
  • Ugarte £40m (120k)
  • Kim £45m (200k)
  • Frimpong £30m (90k)
  • Hojlund £60m (80k)
Diogo Costa
Frimpong
- Kim - Martinez - Shaw
Casemiro - Ugarte
Hojlund

Sell: 130m (645k)
Greenwood £25m (75k)
Maguire £15m (200k)
Mctominay £20m (60k)
VDB (15m) £120k
Elanga £9m
Bissaka £11m (90k)
Henderson £15m (100k)
Greenwood stays. This is starting to become pathetic now. Respectfully.. he’s the best finisher we have even now and we are filled with a bunch of forwards who can’t finish whilst we have a world class finisher we want to give away for free.

Get him the help him and his family needs and get him back in the summer.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Greenwood stays. This is starting to become pathetic now. Respectfully.. he’s the best finisher we have even now and we are filled with a bunch of forwards who can’t finish whilst we have a world class finisher we want to give away for free.

If he stays, we don't need striker and we will stick with Greenwood as our main man. I'm just being realistic that he is likely to be kicked out then we should try to make some money out of him.

surf

Leaving today aside, the back 5 has been pretty good over the season. Back-up keeper and replacement for Maguire if he leaves. But we absolutely need a first choice midfielder and striker. And they both need to be top class.

L1nk

Rabiot is an established top tier CM. He’s better than anyone else bare De Jong, that we have been linked with. Declan Rice potentially is the same level but I will not be fooled by overrating players, but Declan Rice as I’ve continuously said is far better than anyone we have except the obvious in Casemiro.

Don’t get me started on the keeper and not being a priority he’s arguably our main priority with our striker.

I fully understand the budget but like this club does every summer they will have to figure it out and be ruthless with it. If that means finally selling players for their market value then do it.
Look I am with you, and I agree, but again, I think you know deep down it isn’t going to happen. Hell i am certain keeper is as important as striker and yet we’re practically begging De Gea to stay, it’s only him being greedy and turning down our offers that has meant he hasn’t signed a contract yet, if he signs, I expect no keeper, and I don’t expect Harry Kane or any other 100mill striker either

Would be happy to be proved wrong of course, but that’s not been the reality for many years now has it, and the Glazers look set to fcuk us for another summer so

L1nk

So you just forget all those images and that audio because he can score a few goals for us? Some things are more important than football, i’m sorry, would be massively disappointed to see him play for us again, as i’m sure the Women’s team, a lot of the players, and a lot of the staff would be too.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I'd go with Kane, MacAllister or Rice, Kim Min Jae, and Costa

Sell the usual suspects to offset as much as possible.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

I can see us keeping him, but not without controversy. But given that we're not talking about him by policy until the season is over, I'll leave it at that.

croadyman

Who would you have as other midfield signing. I know what happened with Rabiot last summer but would definitely still take him on a free

croadyman

I'd go with Kane, MacAllister or Rice, Kim Min Jae, and Costa

Sell the usual suspects to offset as much as possible.
Would say Mac Allister (scouse bound) and Rice (see him joining Arsenal) have very different midfield profiles.

reddevilz007

If he stays, we don't need striker and we will stick with Greenwood as our main man. I'm just being realistic that he is likely to be kicked out then we should try to make some money out of him.
No to this. Even with Greenwood, we still need another striker. In what shape will Greenwood come back? It may take him time to readjust, and will he have the right mindset to play under Ten Hag?
We can’t have another Sancho case.

Rashford as a striker doesn’t offer much more options than Greenwood.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I think the spine needs refreshing.

New GK
New CB (rotate with Varane)
New CM (make Eriksen the rotation option)
New striker

In an ideal world we'd sort a Casemiro back up/successor and a second striker. But can't see more than 4 signings.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Bloody love Tifo. I love them so much that I've somehow downplayed in my head how important their point is they've made in that video.

Realistically, as they said, we need some magical windows and players actually stepping up levels for us to stand a chance at battling with Arsenal's young squad, City's dominance and the likely reemergence of Liverpool and Chelsea next season.

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Bloody love Tifo. I love them so much that I've somehow downplayed in my head how important their point is they've made in that video.

Realistically, as they said, we need some magical windows and players actually stepping up levels for us to stand a chance at battling with Arsenal's young squad, City's dominance and the likely reemergence of Liverpool and Chelsea next season.
This was actually a really weak video and they usually are very good.

jesperjaap

Some sensible options there.

Heard a lot of good things about Lukeba but with Martinez here I don’t see us going for another primarily LCB. Kim would be perfect as he’s right footed but has played LCB most of the season for Napoli.

The rumours about Timber have been that he will cost €50m so the same as Kim Min Jae. He would be my second choice after Kim as I think he could be perfect as an inverted fullback which I think ETH would like to adopt but can’t effectively with the current RBs.

As budget options I’m not against any of those you have mentioned. Would also throw Bennacer’s hat in the ring, who despite signing a new deal in Jan, still has his €50m release clause.

On the striker front, we should have a look at Marcos Leonardo from Santos as another very promising Brazilian forward. He certainly wouldn’t be ready to lead the line, but if we were able to offload Martial he could be a very good understudy to someone like Kane. We were actually linked to him at the end of last year pre-January window.
Yes I dont reall yknow the SOuth American market and it doesnt even have to be that market, but we need to be signing up and coming players with value, almost impossible without going outside the domestic market. We seem to have gone for bigger signings or quality youth signings for the academy, no inbetween.

Yet every summer, whenever a quality young player is mentioned, the usual is response is "they are inexperienced, not ready for the step up, not better than what we have".

Seen it the last couple of summers with responses. Was a big fan of Camavinga at Rennes, but he was way to young and over hyped etc etc etc, Grealish wouldnt get a game over Rashford, Fernandes....but VDB was a sensible and quality signing and would thrive once Ten Hag came as worked so well together at Ajax, he was never a good signing.

They would be start for the club, but the main point is....these gamble type signings may be a gamble....but are they considering our squad options have been so so poor, som eof which have cost a lot of money. Bailly, Lindelof, Fred, VDB etc etc.....is it a gamble to think these signings could fare better than what we have?

People a few months ago were lauding last summer as one of our best ever transfer wise....what? We spent near to £250m last summer on five players, one of which was free and two were over 30years old. Dont get me wrong Casemeiro has been quality, Martinez is possibly the best player we have signed post Ferguson, Antony could be a very good player....but again we way overspent on three of those five signings, allowed players who should have been sold years before to leave for free...so again really were hampered budget wise in a summer we needed 7/8 signings and more players out.

It is why we weree forced into loan signings and why yet again we go into a summer window needing several signings. We cant progress the way we are doing business currently

G-manc

Every year I think there’s 3-4 positions that need strengthening and then by this point if the season I’ve reached the conclusion that we need a player in literally every position. Grim.

daba

This was actually a really weak video and they usually are very good.
I agree, its interesting but saying we need replace 10 players before we can challenge still is borderline scare mongering.

4 quality signings (ST, GK, CM, CB) this summer and we COULD challenge for the league provided if we get a bit lucky with avoiding injuries and maybe go out of the other cups earlier.

If we’re able to maybe make that 6 signings with an additional CM signing and a new RB, then I think we could challenge for the league and other cups potentially.

Bojan Djordjic

Replied to earlier - probably not no, but also feels kind of strange to publically judge him instead of in the courts - which essentially is what one does if eliminating him as a transfertarget. Neymar, Evans have been falsely accused, so itd be wrong to judge him.

Plus we signed Ronaldo who also were heavily accused.
If you're United and you've just had to pretty much write off one of your most valuable assets because he couldn't behave himself, you are 100% not going to pump sixty million into a guy with even a scent of that around him. Would be toxic from a PR point of view but also a very real danger your 60mn player goes to jail and misses a few years.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We need to start taking advantage of the free transfer market. There's plenty of good players out there this summer out of contract.

And not only would they be free but if they don't work out we can sell on for a profit.

I'd bring Rabiot in on a free without a seconds hesitation. He's a very good player and had a very good world cup.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Kane/Ramos/Kolo Muani - 80m
Ceballos/Rabiot - free
Kim - 43m
Raya - 30m

Kane
Rashford Bruno Antony
Ceballos Casemiro
Shaw Martinez Kim AWB
Raya​

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Just bring Diallo back. He'll make Antony look average next season is my guess.

In.

Kane - £85m
Costa - £40m
Lavia - £30m
Frimpong - £25m
Kim - £40m

Out.

Jones - £1m
Maguire - £30m
McTominay - £30m
Williams - £10m
Martial - £15m
Elanga - £20m
DVB - £10m

Doable?

Mainoldo

Mine changes everyday :lol:

In.

Raya - £30m
Kane - £90m
Caicedo - £65m
Maddison - £35m
Dumfries - £25m
Kim - £44m

Spend: £289m

Out.

Maguire - £45m
McTominay - £30m
Henderson - £35m
Martial - £10m
Elanga - £15m

Spend: £125m

Njord

In:
Kim Min-Jae (Buy-out clause)
Rice (1 year left)
Madisson (1 year left)
Kane (1 year left)
New GK

Should be a lot of quality for a reasonable price.

Out:
de Gea
Maguire
Jones
Williams
Bailly
Telles
McTominay
Elanga
Van de Beek
Martial

Should bring in some cash, and save a lot in wages.

lex talionis

The absence of a proper striker is slowly killing off our dream of CL qualification, although I still think we can get it done despite the shambolic performances we see every match from Martial and Weghorst, names I never would have thought belonged in the same...but they do.

croadyman

I agree, its interesting but saying we need replace 10 players before we can challenge still is borderline scare mongering.

4 quality signings (ST, GK, CM, CB) this summer and we COULD challenge for the league provided if we get a bit lucky with avoiding injuries and maybe go out of the other cups earlier.

If we’re able to maybe make that 6 signings with an additional CM signing and a new RB, then I think we could challenge for the league and other cups potentially.
Definitely need around seven players to properly challenge for the league. Think four has us maybe pushing for top 3 but no more

croadyman

We need to start taking advantage of the free transfer market. There's plenty of good players out there this summer out of contract.

And not only would they be free but if they don't work out we can sell on for a profit.

I'd bring Rabiot in on a free without a seconds hesitation. He's a very good player and had a very good world cup.
Yeah Rabiot is a no brainer on a free along with either Lavia or if we can get him Caicedo

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
This is what I can think of if we want to sign Kane.

Buy: £230m (805k)
  • Diogo Costa £40m (150k)
  • Ugarte £40m (120k)
  • Kim £45m (200k)
  • Kane £100m (335k)
  • Sabitzer £5m Loan fees (May be?? if we can get another loan deal)
Diogo Costa
Dalot/AWB- Kim - Martinez - Shaw
Casemiro - Ugarte
Kane

Backup Keeper
Dalot/AWB - Varane - Shaw/Lindelof - Malacia
Sabitzer/Mainoo - Eriksen - Fred
Sancho - Amad - Garnacho​

Sell: £132m (805k)
Greenwood £25m (75k) (Assume if we decide to sell him)
Maguire £15m (200k)
Mctominay £20m (60k)
VDB (£15m) £120k
Elanga £9m
Henderson £15m (100k)
Martial - Loan (£13m salary)
Telles - 0 (90k)
Bailly - 0 (80k)
Pellistri - Loan (20k)
Williams - Loan (60k)

IRELANDUNITED

Would West Ham accept 80m plus Mctomminy for Rice? That could be a realistic deal that suits everyone.

DickDastardly

Mine changes everyday :lol:

In.

Raya - £30m
Kane - £90m
Caicedo - £65m
Maddison - £35m
Dumfries - £25m
Kim - £44m

Spend: £289m

Out.

Maguire - £45m
McTominay - £30m
Henderson - £35m
Martial - £10m
Elanga - £15m

Spend: £125m
Just bring Diallo back. He'll make Antony look average next season is my guess.

In.

Kane - £85m
Costa - £40m
Lavia - £30m
Frimpong - £25m
Kim - £40m

Out.

Jones - £1m
Maguire - £30m
McTominay - £30m
Williams - £10m
Martial - £15m
Elanga - £20m
DVB - £10m

Doable?
You two crack me up.
Who in their right mind will spunk more then 10 million on Harry fecking Maguire?!

Also, Scott for 30?!

What's out score in the last 7 years of selling players? Dan James for 29? That's about it isn't it?

I'll be happy if we get 50 for all the 10 you've listed.
Just get them the feck out.

Mainoldo

You two crack me up.
Who in their right mind will spunk more then 10 million on Harry fecking Maguire?!

Also, Scott for 30?!

What's out score in the last 7 years of selling players? Dan James for 29? That's about it isn't it?

I'll be happy if we get 50 for all the 10 you've listed.
Just get them the feck out.
Well that’s their job to improve that. If this was Chelsea (Roman’s) they would get the required fees.

It’s not a case of these players not being worth it, clearly these guys behind the scenes aren’t good at their jobs in that area.

I can list 4 clubs that should and would spunk decent money on Maguire.

Spurs, Newcastle, West Ham, Fulham even Aston Villa. He’s better than Tyrone Mings.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Made up from a mixture of two muppet-crazy striker signings and then some freebies/last year of contract options.

IN - £255m

Kane - £100m
Hojlund (because feck it why not both?!) - £60m
Rabiot - Free
Sabitzer - £15m
Le Fee - £25m
Salisu - £25m
Meslier - £30m

OUT - £110m (and five pounds)

Martial - £20m
Elanga - £15m
McTominay - £25m
Van de Beek - five quid
Fred - £20m
Bailly - £5m or just release him in 2024
Maguire - £25m

Total - £145m

Raoul

Admin
Staff
In - 240m

Kane - £90m
Rabiot - Free
MacAllister - £70m
Kim - £40m
Costa - £40m

Out - 120m

The usual suspects

Caveat: I don't care of MacAllister is being linked to Pool.