What do we still need? Aka The never ending story

ReparableTrack0

It is incredibly frustrating that a club of our stature can’t find good midfielders in the market. We had incredible midfielders like Scholes, Keane and Carrick during our successful eras. Why can’t we find players like that anymore? If Newcastle can get Tonali we can do better. Should have gone all in on Barella/Caicedo. I hope Mason Mount has the best career here but he is not the midfielder we needed in this team. We are setting him up for failure in this setup.

RedOrange

Wouldn't complain if we did this business by the end of the window!!! How much would this set us back?
€250 million. These stupid threads come up all the fecking time and the players bandied about as bargains consistently go for 5-10 times what people think they'll cost, or they end up being shite and the people who suggested them pretend like they never did.

Erik the Red

€250 million. These stupid threads come up all the fecking time and the players bandied about as bargains consistently go for 5-10 times what people think they'll cost, or they end up being shite and the people who suggested them pretend like they never did.
I'm not sure why it is a stupid thread to say that I would be happy to buy Todibo, Kone and Orban before the window closes. If you don't like a thread titled "what do we still need?", don't come on the thread.

If we were to buy these players today, I reckon the c. €100m that the previous posted estimated is far more realistic than your €250m. If we had €100m to spend, which would be realistic if we made the sales we want to make, then these three players would be signings that I would be happy with.

Obviously if they stay where they are, in the future they will likely go for vastly more or less than quoted, depending on performances in the intervening period. Nobody has a crystal ball, and most of the people on this forum are not professional scouts, but avid supports of mufc and are giving their opinion on which players the club needs and who they would like to sign - that is the point of the transfer forum.

daba

€250m my arse. Hardly asking for Tchouamemi, De Ligt and Ferguson was I.

Kone has a €40m release clause
Todibo’s rumoured fee is similar at €40-45m
Orban has half a season in the Belgian league who’s record fee is €35m, rumoured figures for him are lower than that.

If the thread hurts you so much then why put yourself through it.

croadyman

It is incredibly frustrating that a club of our stature can’t find good midfielders in the market. We had incredible midfielders like Scholes, Keane and Carrick during our successful eras. Why can’t we find players like that anymore? If Newcastle can get Tonali we can do better. Should have gone all in on Barella/Caicedo. I hope Mason Mount has the best career here but he is not the midfielder we needed in this team. We are setting him up for failure in this setup.
Yeah Barella or someone in that mould along with backup ST & CB has to be priority next summer. I would say January but we know how little business Utd generally do in that winter window.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Yeah Barella or someone in that mould along with backup ST & CB has to be priority next summer. I would say January but we know how little business Utd generally do in that winter window.
Could change if we get new owners in, Chelsea have somewhat changed the outlook on how big you could go in the jan window, no reason we couldn't do the same.

croadyman

Could change if we get new owners in, Chelsea have somewhat changed the outlook on how big you could go in the jan window, no reason we couldn't do the same.
Ownership situation just looks like it has reached a stalemate. Those leeches who ruined this club have priced out Jassim unfortunately

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Ownership situation just looks like it has reached a stalemate. Those leeches who ruined this club have priced out Jassim unfortunately
I'm still confident they're going to sell, just a matter of time basically.
The market has inflated beyond any reason, it's probably in their best interests to ditch us now and move on.

Bojan Djordjic

I don't think Barella is the answer really after signing Mount and having Bruno in the team. Mount would be the only midfielder with above average pass completion and by the skin of his teeth.

croadyman

I don't think Barella is the answer really after signing Mount and having Bruno in the team. Mount would be the only midfielder with above average pass completion and by the skin of his teeth.
What sort of profile midfielder do you feel we need IF we still get Amrabat which looks 50/50. Personally I was thinking we really lack a ball carrier in there but you may disagree

Redstain

€250m my arse. Hardly asking for Tchouamemi, De Ligt and Ferguson was I.

Kone has a €40m release clause
Todibo’s rumoured fee is similar at €40-45m
Orban has half a season in the Belgian league who’s record fee is €35m, rumoured figures for him are lower than that.

If the thread hurts you so much then why put yourself through it.
There's value in the market and there's chances to be taken on some of these younger players. I don't have much confidence however in the club's ability to identify talent in the midfield at this moment in time.

Aside FDJ the club has looked at the likes of Rabiot and Amrabat. Decent players but not taking the performances to the next level. I think Mount has changed the perspective of the midfield negatively. Casemiro, Tonali and Bruno for instance is balanced and it eschews structure and stability. I really don't like the Mount signing on paper but I will reserve judgement because the manager has the capacity to make it work.

Until this day is still wonder how Liverpool made a UCL final with Milner, Henderson and Wjnaldum. Not the best individually but things can work with the right methodology to coaching and instruction. I'm not banking on the team to look good on paper this season because it doesn't, however, United have a manager good enough to bring everything together. It's up to ETH from this point forward.

Bojan Djordjic

What sort of profile midfielder do you feel we need IF we still get Amrabat which looks 50/50. Personally I was thinking we really lack a ball carrier in there but you may disagree
I'm confused. If we sign Amrabat and Mainoo breaks out this season, what would the need be for another midfielder?

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
I think it's also obvious that the CB area will undergo major upheaval next summer, Varane potentially going to Saudi, Slab Head going, Evans no longer 4th or 5th CB and us short on numbers. There's scope for transfer market moves here and we better keep our eye on the ball.

Then it's CM again to be recruited, Casemiro 33, Eriksen 32, Bruno Fernandes will be 29.. Stupid squad always needs loads of money spent on it. Am sick of the transfer market.

croadyman

I think it's also obvious that the CB area will undergo major upheaval next summer, Varane potentially going to Saudi, Slab Head going, Evans no longer 4th or 5th CB and us short on numbers. There's scope for transfer market moves here and we better keep our eye on the ball.

Then it's CM again to be recruited, Casemiro 33, Eriksen 32, Bruno Fernandes will be 29.. Stupid squad always needs loads of money spent on it. Am sick of the transfer market.
Could see us maybe going for that Antonio Silva to be Varane replacement,only issue is he's apparently not great in the air. Maybe we sign another CB too who could offer that aerial ability when paired with him.

How many midfielders do you think we would need to bring in looking at the age profiles

croadyman

I'm confused. If we sign Amrabat and Mainoo breaks out this season, what would the need be for another midfielder?
Well IF Mainoo has that ball carrying ability then that need is not so great,however there definitely isn't that player who can control the tempo in there. Amrabat can pass it and keep effectively,however still feels we need a Modric type as well. Maybe I'm completely wrong and our setup doesn't suit that kind of player.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.

Then it's CM again to be reinforced, Casemiro and Eriksen both getting old now. On the bright side I can't see best in class going to Tottenham any time soon after the wasted careers of Modric Eriksen and Kane there, so that's less competition for us.

croadyman

Then it's CM again to be reinforced, Casemiro and Eriksen both getting old now. On the bright side I can't see best in class going to Tottenham any time soon after the wasted careers of Modric Eriksen and Kane there, so that's less competition for us.
Who would you like to see come in at CB and CM next summer just out of interest

Jericholyte2

Someone to help control midfield.

Someone to help make chances.

Someone to finish off the chances we do make.

TheRedHearted

What we need is to hire Brighton’s scouting department and also whoever negotiates their deals. They sold their two best players and they are still competing.

fallengt

Stop backing the manager. They have proven many times they're not transfer genius
When will the club learn?

L1nk

Mount was not the profile of midfielder we needed, we can play two 8's as ETH seems to want to do but we should have got a powerful, tall, fast and physical midfielder. Everytime we get bullied through the middle by powerful runners with massive gaps there.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
What we need is a system. An identity. Something that defines every aspect of how the club is run - scouting, recruitment, tactics, training, player sales, etc.

It's not a simple matter of "sign a CM" or "sell this player", or giving the manager a blank check and telling him to do whatever he wants with it. That's how we end up in these never-ending rebuilds, with billions wasted and new deadwood constantly replacing old deadwood.

Footyislife

We've only ever needed 1 thing. A highly skilled DOF. It may sound too obvious but its a testament to how much Glazers just don't give a "f**k" about the club.

ETH is a decent coach but not skilled at building teams. Overmars did that at Ajax. He has done well recruiting former players. But lets take a laundry list at errors recently.

1. Antony was a terrible buy. You could have gotten 2 good EPL level players for his price. ETH made a terrible biased decision.

2. Didn't force a Maguire sell. Why not, publicize he is done, put him in the reserves.

3. Paying £54M for a player Chelsea was not willing to invest in and having 1 year left on the deal. Maybe it's good long term but still a bad short term decision.

4. Paying £64M plus 8M add-ons for an unproven young striker who's hurt? Maybe long term he develops, but that's a really bad bet to pay that much when you could fork out £25M and get an elite level player. But he's forced into this with previous bad investments of Mount and Antony.

5. Not getting rid of bad salaries of Maguire, Henderson, Bailly, Martial immediately last season, taking a short term financial hit but coming out ahead long term with more money to invest in rebuilding year 3 onwards.

IamBurnsey

I wouldn't even bother getting your hopes up about the board bringing in any proper world class players because nothing will happen until the glaziers are gone, the club from top to bottom needs revamped!

Bobski

We need legs with quality in midfield, a difficult combination to get for less than exceptional fees, and I don't think Amrabat has the ideal level of mobility and pace.

johnnyteutonic

We've only ever needed 1 thing. A highly skilled DOF. It may sound too obvious but its a testament to how much Glazers just don't give a "f**k" about the club.

ETH is a decent coach but not skilled at building teams. Overmars did that at Ajax. He has done well recruiting former players. But lets take a laundry list at errors recently.

1. Antony was a terrible buy. You could have gotten 2 good EPL level players for his price. ETH made a terrible biased decision.

2. Didn't force a Maguire sell. Why not, publicize he is done, put him in the reserves.

3. Paying £54M for a player Chelsea was not willing to invest in and having 1 year left on the deal. Maybe it's good long term but still a bad short term decision.

4. Paying £64M plus 8M add-ons for an unproven young striker who's hurt? Maybe long term he develops, but that's a really bad bet to pay that much when you could fork out £25M and get an elite level player. But he's forced into this with previous bad investments of Mount and Antony.

5. Not getting rid of bad salaries of Maguire, Henderson, Bailly, Martial immediately last season, taking a short term financial hit but coming out ahead long term with more money to invest in rebuilding year 3 onwards.
Agree with everything you've said.
There was this guy called Ralf Rangnick who has a proven track record of building clubs, identifying top talent and has access to an extensive network across much of Europe and South America.
But we all know what happened...

The moment the club announced he would be leaving, I feared that our recruitment woes would continue so I'm not really surprised we find ourselves in the same situation once again.
That to me was a fork in the road moment for this club.

Catalandevil

Agree with everything you've said.
There was this guy called Ralf Rangnick who has a proven track record of building clubs, identifying top talent and has access to an extensive network across much of Europe and South America.
But we all know what happened...

The moment the club announced he would be leaving, I feared that our recruitment woes would continue so I'm not really surprised we find ourselves in the same situation once again.
That to me was a fork in the road moment for this club.
Rangnick was a horrible manager but most of the things he said were right. For example, we needed a major overhaul and we needed powerfull CMs. We are still paying the price for the incompentence of our previous executives. If we really want to be competitive and narrow the gap with City and Arsenal, we need another CM. If not, if the Mount experiement goes wrong, season could be over by Christmas.