What do you guys think should be our plan for the next 5 years to get titles and a strong squad at hand?

OleTheGreat

Let's say these players will stick with us for the next 5 years-
Rashford
Martial
Greenwood
Bruno
Donny
Pogba
Maguire
Bissaka &
Henderson.

The rest will either leave us or will be forced to leave. What should be our plan to improve this team and squad and what are the things that the Glazers, Woodward and Judge do in-order to improve this squad into a championship winning one, not just in England but in Europe as well?

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I appreciate the sentiment so let's approach this question assuming the Glazer family have left and the club can start to progress again.

Firstly, there should be a major upheaval on how contracts are renewed. The club should not renew contracts to protect their asset, the club should renew contracts for football players that the manager wants to play. Players like Jones should have been released but now we are stuck with him for another three years at least.

I like what they have been doing with the academy, the board are obviously hoping enough of these academy signings come good that they can save money in the long-term. This should continue.

If a director of football is not to be appointed I would like to see a transfer committee established. The club should seek two or three signings a year and these targets should be identified well in advance. The club should know who they will likely target in a couple years time. We need to evolve to be more proactive in the market also.

Untd55

Change manager - Nagelsmann/Pochettino. Look at a youngish manager who has proven they can build quality teams and get the best out of their players. It's the only type of manager we haven't tried.

Sign two-centre backs who have pace; I don't see the reason to settle for a slow centre-back who isn't groundbreakingly good in any other area. Maguire to the bench.

Sign a right-winger: Sancho or whoever else comes through that looks good.

Sign a defensive-midfielder.

You'd have a hell of a lot of signings to make judging from that list. You'd have to bring through a lot of youth players, but how many of them are good enough?

Superden

the glazers et al aren't remotely interested in winning the league. its not why they bought Utd winning league titles isnt part of their grand design for the club. that much should be obvious now. $$$$ over trophies, everytime. so our fans need to stop with this fantasizing about signing so many star names. if we are successful it will be by accident almost rather than design.

jesperjaap

The simple answer is to improve the quality all round. What has improved over the last couple of years is the investment in youth players. If we get quality in the can be fruitful, we have seen this with the breakthrough of a few players recently.

As for improving the quality of the manager, if we are not able to invest and sell players well as we havent for some time now it seems.....then how can we judge the manager and say we should get so and so in, as some have already said. I do however not fall in to the group that see Nagelsmann as a "hipster" manager, think he is very special and someone we should keep an eye on over the next season or two as yet to be convonced by Ole, he wants to do things the right way and United way, I admire that but does he have the nouse....still not sure, but he deserves more time

The main thing though we need to vastly improve is the recruitment and selling of players and this is for me where heads should roll.

The last 4/5 years what surprise signings of lesser known players have we made? Bailly and James and to a degree Lindelof......that is pretty much awful. EIther our scouts are doing somethign seriously wrong or our manager or someone else in recruitment is ignoring the advice, that is very poor, I can barely think of another side with such poor recruitment of lesser known players over the last five years in the whole league! I know we changed our policy with going for bigger players a while back and its changing now, well it needs huge improvement. We havent made a good surprise signing of a player over 18 and under 23/24 for a long time.

I also think our policy of going for good young British players though admirable isnt a great one. There are and were obviously several better players we could have signed at centre back than Maguire for similar fees. Many would certainly argue th same for Bissaka, though I personally still remain a fan of his and could have signed 100better players from abroad than Daniel James even for that small fee. Going down this route we are basically over paying on fees and not getting the best talent generally (obviously a different case when it is a player like Sancho). Not only that, just as importantly, we are also giving out bigger salaraies generally to British players as they are already on them compared to abroad which leads on to the next problem

Selling players. Just look at the wages for the likes of Maguire and Henderson, not that we should be, but imagine trying to sell them now if we wanted to.....its a problem hampered us, we are givin gout contract extensions of high wages to players that have done nothing to deserve them Jones, Mata for example. We have a good 10/12 players of deadwood at this club and so far we have only offloaded Sanchez.....for free. The fact is we do have a BIG squad, you have to trim that down if you are to add to it, it is a major problem

Purchasing players: Just about every window the last 5 years we have needed 5/6 quality additions to have a challenging side. If we do 2/3 a season and then during the next season 2/3 players show they are not good enough and also deed replacing....we still need 5/6, we dont progress, 5year plan is bs. WTF are we doing this window, it really is beyond me. We so obviously need a centre back and right winger to improve the first eleven, they are the priorities. Next would be a player to compete and cover for Fernandes and one to do the same for Matic, then it would maybe be a left back or cover/competition for Rashford

What have we done so far....signed VDB, good squad signing that can cover for Fernandes....more though he is cover for Pogba in my opinion....we already have several players for his position, so a good, not great signing in my opinion. Our moves for Sancho appear in the press at least to be embarrasing, is there even a contingency plan or are we going to go back in the last week of the window and offer the fee we coulf have got him for weeks ago, to be turned down as now too late for Dortmund to sell...then sign nobody. There appears no moves for a dm despite lots of great young ones about....we just seem to be moving strongly for a left back....again maybe just a squad improvement rather than a team one....even though as it stands we have four players can play left back for us.

Utter shambles. I get the DOF people want, it isnt even that for me, we just need someone to control a rudderless ship and for me the likes of Judge/Woodward appear to me to be the first that should be accountable and replaced above the owners, who hate them or not and of course though they havent done a good job and are destroying things taking money out of the club.....they have invested in players, that cant be ignored....just very poorly

Loon

:lol:
I fear we are looking down the barrel of a long wait for another title. A very long wait. The current organisational set-up is a shambles. As long as that remains in place, it's difficult to see an effective plan being put in place.

hobbers

New owners, new football CEO, new chief negotiator, new manager, new coaching staff.

That's got to be the plan for getting back to winning titles.

OleTheGreat

It seems like all you guys have valid points. I seem to agree to the point that winning titles is a far far call. I don't see us gaining huge strides in the next couple of years i.e, even if we Sancho I don't suppose we'll go very far in terms of Champions League or the league itself. The heirarchy as such has been bullocks and it will require new owners to change everything at this club. I wish we has a voting panel like that of the Catalans to vote out these losers.

Infra-red

Woodward will need to go if we're to achieve anything of significance. We'll also need to replace the manager and most of the squad. None of that will happen with the Glazers at the helm.

So, in short, we're not winning anything in the next 5 years, unless we can get rid of the Glazers.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We won`t win another league title under Glazer ownership.
Totally agree and been saying it for years. We've not even been in a single title race since Fergie, let alone actually win the thing.

We've reached peak US sports team franchise status now. Most teams are happy to reach the play off in post season over across the pond. Our owners are happy if we're in Europe so it's basically the same thing. They couldn't care less if we actually win the league or compete for it as they know us getting in Europe is good enough to keep the cash rolling in for them.

Fans need to boycott this club now. Stay away from the ground (when we're finally allowed back) which will upset the sponsors and crash the share price. Until everyone realises this is what needs to be done then we're finished as an elite club. Nothing else will work. Emails, chanting, songs etc have all been done countless times and they don't listen. The only language they understand is money. Cut that off and they have no choice but to look for a buyer.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We should buy players that suit a progressive play-style which would mean the chances of wasting money would decrease IMO.

The issue hasn't been a lack of funds but rather the funds that have been made available have been wasted with us still being a long way off the likes of Liverpool and City after spending close to £200m on new players before the current window opened.

OleTheGreat

You are right. No amount of rants will force Ed or the Glazers to leave because as long as the crowd keeps pouring in, we will keep the club running. I have a bad feeling we are going to become the next Liverpool in terms of waiting for the title. Even when Liverpool were doing bad, they had a few seasons where they were actually in the race but couldn't get it done. I remember the Suarez, Sterling season where they actually did pretty well. We lack in so many departments and i find it hard to believe we'll do good in the near future. I don't know what to say but it all seems very disheartening for us fans. Why doesn't the hierarchy see this? :(

Amerifan

Club’s plan: Grow primarily local talent supplemented by strategic purchases while running a sustainable business. Patience.
CAF’s plan: Whinge. Takeover by oil oligarch. Flush manager after first loss. Buy everyone in sight. Drop players after first bad game. Buy more players. Become Chelsea, Jr. Whinge regardless.

I’m on board with the Club’s plan. If we go the CAF route I’m out.

gorky_utd

Kicking Woodward and Glazers out would be a nice and necessary start. Then we will need to improve the first team and lastly a better manager than Ole who can go toe to toe with Pep and Klopp. But removing Woodward and Matt judge will be the biggest step forward.

Bwuk

Because we won't spend much, we'd have to try and look to buy players before they make the stepping stone move, i.e. sign VvD from Celtic, Mane from Salzburg.

We should also focus on signing young athletic players, the top level is played with such pace and power nowadays.

Machine Elements

I hope some of the players you mentioned like Maguire, AWB etc. won’t be here in the next 5 years.

Zlatattack

Next 5 years will be about retaining 4th place and the odd cup win. The Glazers have no interest in building a title winning side.

Phil

As has been said, Woodward and the Glazer's priority isn't to win the league. Why spend the money required to win the league when they can get strong dividends by coming in the top 4 and spending less?

gorky_utd

Club’s plan: Grow primarily local talent supplemented by strategic purchases while running a sustainable business. Patience.
CAF’s plan: Whinge. Takeover by oil oligarch. Flush manager after first loss. Buy everyone in sight. Drop players after first bad game. Buy more players. Become Chelsea, Jr. Whinge regardless.

I like your plan but we need a dof to actually pull it off. Ideally you have some top class home grown talent in your squad and then you purchase other players from the market. But with the current management, business comes first. This was the window to minimize the gap between city/ pool and they decided to do nothing. They wasted the whole summer chasing Sancho and neglected everything else that was required. The club doesn't even have a good scouting network that can find a good cheap alternative. There is no plan except to make money under Woodward and I don't see it changing in future.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

So you think that spending Maguire 80m, bringing in Sanchez on ridiculous salary and giving players ridiculous salaries including a 5 year contract to Jones make sense? Cause that's exactly what United under Woodward did. Also we've been waiting 7 years now and this club looks going to the shitters. We're struggling to make it to top 4, our stadium's roof is leaking and the only three consistent things happening are dividends keep on being paid, managers keep on being sacked and the club keep on getting ridiculed.

If we were interested in developing the side then

a- we would have a football CEO instead of a banker
b- we would have a top DOF who knows how football work instead of another banker
c- we would be swift on the transfer market, making effective and efficient signings instead of dragging everything to the final weeks only to either scrap to the bottom (often on ridiculous fees) or buy no one

I'd suggest you check what Evra said about the club and then judge for yourself if this club is being properly run.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
If this actually is the club's plan, I'm all for it.

However, it certainly hasn't been the club's plan - as per pretty undeniable evidence - until very recently (at best).

Luke1995

Buy only players in the 18 - 26 age range. Players that can, at the bare minimum, give us, in theory, four good seasons. And when players get to 31, or at most, 32 years old, part ways.

The key here is, have a young, talented group, of a certain age range, that can stay together for a few years while delivering titles, and then, while selling the older players, get in the ones who could be part of the next generation.

The problem, of course, is that other clubs are always looking to improve aswell. So, no matter what the plan is, winning multiple titles in the same season or per years, seems incredibly difficult.