g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

What do you think is our best XI?

Decomposing In Paris

Rooney is going to compete with Pogba in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 system in most of the matches IMO.
If we set up with Rooney- pogba - carrick midfield in 4-3-3 formation, we would be outrun heavily through the middle which Jose would not allow. Herrera - Pogba/Rooney - Carrick midfield brings more energy, runs to the box and defensive stability as Ander is a better midfielder than Rooney.
If we set up with 4-2-3-1 with Carrick- Pogba - Lingard - Rooney- Martial as our midfield five, we would not be able to control the game and leave lots of holes through the middle of the pitch. It is a good attacking team for last 20 mins of a game but for 90 mins this team lacks the defensive stability to contain the opposition. So in either formation we are going to play only one of Rooney and Pogba( I am considering Zlatan as our #9).
So you think that if Pogba plays, Rooney won't? That's my point, I don't believe that to be the case.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Pogba isnt a number 10 thats such a myth on here
I've not seen him referred to as a 10 and certainly not by most posters. Most attscking midfielder in a three yes but that is very different to a 10.

Bwuk

De Gea
Bailly - Smalling - Blind
Valencia - Schneiderlin - Carrick - Shaw
Pogba
Zlatan - Martial​

352 LvG style!

Think as a forum we all agree that our best side is a 433 or 4231 without Rooney in it.

Seij

Ddg
Valencia/Darmian Bailly Smalling Shaw
Schneiderlin Carrick
Pogba
Mkhitaryan Ibrahimovic Martial

Or

Same back 5
Schneiderlin Pogba
Mkhitaryan
New signing Ibrahimovic Martial

Might be worth trying Rashford on that right wing but that might really limit our width.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
That was partly my point. Mourinho has already stated Rooney is not a midfielder. Pogba didn't do well as a more holding midfielder for France but thrived as a no. 10 for Juventus.

If Rooney is out no. 10, that only leaves midfield for pogba.

Trust us to spend 90m on a player and play him out of best position
Mourinho will phase Rooney out if he's not good enough. It's that simple.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Do all you guys really think Jose will continue to pick Rooney no matter what other players and how he is playing?

You think that little of him as a manager?

I don't, he will drop him unless he becomes the player of old again which is extremely unlikely to happen.
The fact that he's being picked in the hope that he'll become a player he last was 4 years ago is ridiculous in itself. And the fact that Jose is realistic enough to know that Bastian will not suddenly start playing like he's 26 again tells me he is just picking Rooney because he's Rooney.

Mark Pawelek

This would be my selection with the players we have in the squad;

De Gea

Valencia--Bailly--Smalling--Shaw

Schneiderlin--Pogba

Rashford--Mkhitaryan--Martial

Ibrahimovic
Something very like that. Fluent front 4. Could also be, etc.:

Mkhitaryan--Ibrahimovic--Martial

Rashford

Sigma

De Gea

Valencia--Bailly--Smalling--Shaw

Carrick

Schneiderlin/Herrera---------Pogba

Mkhitaryan--------------------------Martial

Ibrahimovic
This looks horrible (visually) so sorry

paulscholes18

1st 11
DDG
Darmian Smalling Bailly Shaw
Morgan Carrick Pogba
Mkhitaryan Zlatan Martial

2nd 11
Romero
Valencia Jones Blind CBJ
TFM Herrera
Lingard Rooney Memphis
Rashford

Fer

IMO is not about our best XI (players), it should be the formation where our players are more effective. Pogba, Herrera, Blind, Scheiderlin, Fellaini, Carrick would be more effective in a midfield of 3, same as our front of 3 Martial-Zlatan-Miki. However, it seems that we will continue playing 4231 and Pogba would play in a midfield of 2 with Rooney behind Zlatan.

GimmeAKitKat

Four Brown Fingers

At a guess im thinking Zlatan will be first choice in the Prem, with Rashford getting the cup games, dividing Europe between the two maybe. Rashford will hopefully get games at LW/RW too on occasion, and used as a "super sub". Replace Mata or Zlatan, have Zlatan drop to #10ish and have Rashford run a tiring backline ragged for the last 20 mins.

Note: obviously #10 WILL be Rooney instead, but meh, i can dream.

3KDré

If we were to physically field the team with its best players then I guess:
DDG
Valencia-Smalling-Bailly-Shaw
Mkhitaryan-Carrick-Pogba-Martial
Rashford-Ibrahimović
What I guess Mourinho will pick:
DDG
Carrick-Pogba
Mkhitaryan-Rooney-Martial
Ibrahimović​
The XIs I would prefer/ love to see over the one he'd pick:

DDG
Carrick-Pogba
Lingard-Mkhitaryan-Martial
Ibrahimović

(Would love to see)
DDG
TFM
Blind-Pogba
Mkhitaryan-Ibrahimović-Martial​

(Would love to see)
DDG
TFM
Pereira-Pogba
Mkhitaryan-Ibrahimović-Martial

I realise that's a lot of XIs. I got a bit carried away there.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
De Gea
Valencia-Bailly-Smalling-Shaw
Carrick-Pogba
Mkhi-Rooney-Martial
Zlatan

I can guarantee this will be the first 11 for next season. It may not be the best but Jose will certainly use this. Lingard might play instead of Mkhi but he didn't buy a £30m creative player for nothing so I'm sure he will be used, will most probably start against Bournmouth.

Carrick and Pogba pivot is very good as it is not too defensive like with Carrick-Schneiderlin but It doesn't sacrifice height and strength like Carrick-Herrera would. Also we would be having a world class talent in the centre of the pitch that can change any game.

Exciting times.

Shimo

Best XI right now

DDG, Valencia, Bailly, Smalling, Shaw, Carrick, Pogba, Mkhitaryan, Lingard, Martial, Rashford.

With Mou still working on how we will play and the team coming up to speed, Ibra is too isolated and Rashford at least provides pace and a threat behind.

Eventually though what should be our strongest team I think will be :

DDG, Valencia, Bailly, Smalling, Shaw, Schneiderlin, Pogba, Mkhitaryan, Martial, Rashford, Ibra

I think Schneiderlin needs to take over for Carrick at some point this season and Ibra will be up to full fitness and the team should also be creating chances for him once the team gets more games under their belt and play how Mourinho wants them to. I think Rashford is just a star, yes he has to learn a lot but, his pace, strength, direct running and scoring ability, he has to be in there though if Rooney does find his form, then he probably takes his spot. The rest - well they pick themselves.

NJM78

For me our best 11 would be once everyone is fit;

De Gea, Valencia, Bailly, Smalling, Shaw, Schneiderlin, Pogba, Mkhitaryan, Mata, Martial, Zlatan

No 100% convinced about right back with either Tony or Darmian, maybe Fosu-Mensah can also do a job.
Another option of course could be Mkhi at 10 and Rashford could play wide right instead and Mata benched.

The big problem for me personally is I see Rooney, Lingard, Fellaini and Carrick all featuring heavily and I strongly believe all four of them should not be starting in our best 11.

Mr Smith

At a guess im thinking Zlatan will be first choice in the Prem, with Rashford getting the cup games, dividing Europe between the two maybe. Rashford will hopefully get games at LW/RW too on occasion, and used as a "super sub". Replace Mata or Zlatan, have Zlatan drop to #10ish and have Rashford run a tiring backline ragged for the last 20 mins.

Note: obviously #10 WILL be Rooney instead, but meh, i can dream.
This would be my first choice formation for the average premier league game, but not for the big ones, where we'd probably be better off playing without a #10. Worth remembering that Mourinho is a pragmatist first, and I don't think we'll have one absolute first-choice XI; it'll change a bit based on who we're playing.

amps

De Gea (c)
Valencia - Bailly - Smalling - Shaw
Carrick
Mkhitaryan - Pogba
Rashford --- Ibrah --- Martial
God I cant help but hope Rooney picks up a niggly injury and we get to see this eleven all starting at some point.

I think this is our best team too, but I can't help thinking it might be a bit top heavy.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Some quality players in our first 11 finally.

At some stage, we are going to need a right back, and to swap a couple of our "decent" attackers from the bench for one quality right winger or no. 10.

Same could be said for the options for partners for Le Pog.

M4YON

What i would like to see (4-4-3)

De Gea

TFM---Bailly---Smalling---Shaw

Schneiderlin

Herrera-----Pogba

Mkhitaryan---Ibrahimovic---Martial

What we will probably see (4-2-3-1)

De Gea

Valencia---Bailly---Smalling---Shaw

Carrick---Pogba

Lingard---Rooney---Martial