What do you want from our team?

AR87

More defensive solidity so we're not as dependent on DDG for maintaining a solid defensive defensive record, quicker transitions and interchanges when we regain possession and more guile in and around the box when we're dominating possession to open teams up.

Neo_Mufc

What do I want? Wins.

I really don't care how at the moment. Forget the heavy metal football, I just want wins. What is the point in playing fancy pleasant on the eye football if it means you win nothing?

We've lost part of our footballing identity and to demand it from Mourinho considering the factors is too much. It's just not happening at the moment. If he can get us to win more and turn OT back into a fortress that would be a start.

The biggest problem with Man Utd at the moment is frankly that we have not been competitive enough to challenge for the Premier League or the Champions League post Ferguson.

A handful of us, I myself included have been brought up watching Man Utd win. Not only simply win but emphatically with suspense, tension, drama, late winners. You name it we've done it.

Anyone remember this quote from a certain Anderson?

"Manchester United is Alex Ferguson,” Anderson said. “When he leaves the club will lose 30-40 per cent. So much depends on him.

We had a manager who knew the PL like the back of his hand, Fergie's bread and butter was the league.

Every challenge defeated. Blackburn, Liverpool, Newcastle, Arsenal, Chelsea and even City.

Whatever that 30-40% was isn't going to come back overnight and a short term fix isn't the answer.

Andersons Dietician

I expect us to improve? I expect us to change our style of play? Which is what is happening. I thought that was fairly evident in what I put there, and my satisfaction is obviously implied, otherwise I would've been critical of it...

And if you want me to speak further on that, then I'm happy to do so, it's how discussion works.
I mean that section seemed more like a review of 1 game with reasons as to why you felt like it wasn’t perfect which like I said were valid. But ok what you expect is for us to change the style of play? And you expect us to improve? Seems weird now in to the 3rd season to have those as what you expect but ok.

That line in bold :lol: considering all the back and forth it took to get you to have a reasonable discussion on the topic.
Any way no longer interested, just thought the way you bowled in to the thread was really uncalled for and things like that are what ruin threads.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I mean that section seemed more like a review of 1 game with reasons as to why you felt like it wasn’t perfect which like I said were valid. But ok what you expect is for us to change the style of play? And you expect us to improve? Seems weird now in to the 3rd season to have those as what you expect but ok.

That line in bold :lol: considering all the back and forth it took to get you to have a reasonable discussion on the topic.
Any way no longer interested, just thought the way you bowled in to the thread was really uncalled for and things like that are what ruin threads.
It was long ruined before I 'bowled' in. That happened in the second paragraph. People who want reasonable discussion don't start their thread complaining about the miserable expression on the managers face, while conversely asking for no one to be negative.

Why is that wierd? :confused: quite reflective of the short-termism of many here if you think everything should be perfect two seasons in. We were left in an absolute mess, and we have steadily improved ever since Jose has arrived. Unless that ceases to happen I'll be happy with Jose continuing in the role.

As I've pointed out, there are clear indications of these things you find so insufferable are going to change, but instead of looking at them with a level head, you prefer to ignore them and continue whining. We are one bloody game into the season off the back of a non existent preseason. I know the concept of patience is alien go you, but I do strongly urge you to give it a go.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Titles. Anything else is a bonus.

If I was going to be particular about it I'd like our counter attacking edge to be restored.

The kind of goals we scored in this game, transitioning from back to front in seconds with only the need for a few passes. I'd love to see United play this way again.

Teams used to come to Old Trafford and sit back, fearing what we could do to them on the break with our pace and power. We need to get that back.

Andersons Dietician

It was long ruined before I 'bowled' in. That happened in the second paragraph. People who want reasonable discussion don't start their thread complaining about the miserable expression on the managers face, while conversely asking for no one to be negative.

Why is that wierd? :confused: quite reflective of the short-termism of many here if you think everything should be perfect two seasons in. We were left in an absolute mess, and we have steadily improved ever since Jose has arrived. Unless that ceases to happen I'll be happy with Jose continuing in the role.

As I've pointed out, there are clear indications of these things you find so insufferable are going to change, but instead of looking at them with a level head, you prefer to ignore them and continue whining. We are one bloody game into the season off the back of a non existent preseason. I know the concept of patience is alien go you, but I do strongly urge you to give it a go.
Again you miss the point completely then start pointing fingers and going with the bold accusations. If you had seen anything i’d Written on the performance on Friday you’d have seen I was alright with it, there were signs that decent counter attacking was coming just sloppy passing and poor choices taken broke down the move. I don’t particularly enjoy Jose’s methods but I know enough about football to see what he is trying to do.

Also the OP stated a fact, more often than not Jose does have a miserable expression on his face, although after the game it was quite refreshing to see him talk positively about the team and players for once and be in a more upbeat mood. Made a massive difference to how he is usuallly perceived.

You go on about patience, yet many including myself say they are happy to wait as long as they can see something developing and heading in a positive manner. I was quite happy to give LVG a 3rd year as the team started to look a bit more like it new what it was doing by the end, and a few acquisitions would have transformed that team.

Anyway no point in carrying on a conversation, if you’re just going to baselessly accuse people of stuff, which brings us back to the very first response I gave you, spamming threads with nonsense and bile, ruining threads with baseless zealot like pre conceived notions.

Peace, it was nice chatting.

Nicklas

If I was going to be particular about it I'd like our counter attacking edge to be restored.

The kind of goals we scored in this game, transitioning from back to front in seconds with only the need for a few passes. I'd love to see United play this way again.

Teams used to come to Old Trafford and sit back, fearing what we could do to them on the break with our pace and power. We need to get that back.
Wow! :drool: That second goal was something else!

Wow! :drool: That second goal was something else!
All the goals were brilliant.

For some reason people these days think if you don't play like Pep its not proper football. Fergie's United was by far the best counter attacking team in the country. A long throw from Big Pete could create a goal.

Teams were scared of committing men forward against us. They knew if they got isolated against a Giggs or a Kanchelskis on the break they were in the s-t. That's why it didn't matter that we didn't play Tiki Taka. Other teams would sit back against us and just hack the ball clear when we conceded possession, never daring to attack themselves for fear of being left short at the back. That meant we could retrieve it easily and attack again.

Wave after wave after wave...

...those were the days.

If Mourinho just makes us lethal on the break again it'll go along way to solving a lot of our problems.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I just want to be excited by us again. I'd love to see us swarming all over some of the lesser sides and keeping our foot on the throat, rather than nicking a goal and consolidating.

Andersons Dietician

That 2nd was a thing of beauty, was that Pallister clearing it? I seem to recall him in an interview speaking of a game where he clearly was just clearing the ball but he says he meant the pass and that looked like a clearance that happily landed at a United player and ended up being an incredible goal.

That 2nd was a thing of beauty, was that Pallister clearing it? I seem to recall him in an interview speaking of a game where he clearly was just clearing the ball but he says he meant the pass and that looked like a clearance that happily landed at a United player and ended up being an incredible goal.
Yup. As I remember Pally always wore the number 6. Steve Bruce always wore 4.

Lee Sharpe liked to wear 5, which I thought was weird cos Sharpey was a winger but there you go.

simplyared

There is nothing in the OP that asks people not to be negative. What it says in the opening paragraph is to forget the negativity that's written in the press or media as that is mainly speculation. So you are wrong there!
Further the OP implies that instead look at what you see and have your own opinion. My opinion, which is based on what I'm experiencing, is negative as I would like to see more entertaining football and a manager who shows more expression on the touch line. Looking at the answers to the thread most other posters have reacted accordingly. So what is exactly your problem?

Davs

Titles, titles and more titles.

We need to be regular challengers for the league and that is that.

For some reason, people seem to forget we were 2nd best overall last season. City's record breaking season meant it was impossible for us to win the league but in other generations we would have come close based on our points total.

In terms of what we must see at or club is a title challenge year on year. We can't settle to be the next Liverpool or Arsenal and just being happy with a Champions League spot. It doesn't sit right with me.

If we can get solidity in the sense of challenging for the league every year, and winning it something like one in three years, I think I'll take that. It's certainly an improvement on what we have at the moment.

In terms of cup competitions, it would be nice to achieve an FA Cup win every few years, along with a solid run in the Champions League every few years. A Champions League win in the next 5-10 years will also be fantastic.

I don't think that's too unreasonable and is more than achievable. The question is, is it achievable with Mourinho?

keener

2 things. Win titles and begin to play pressing, aggressive defensive and immediate counterattacking football. We have most of the personnel to pull it off. Aggression will paper over some of our deficiencies and DDG will paper over the rest. I'd like for us to become the most tenacious, pressing side in the world. We can do it with the speed, strength and athleticism like this lineup:

DDG
Valencia-Bailly-Lindelof-Young (or Shaw if he continues to impress)
Pereria(or Herrera)
Lingard-Pogba-Fred-Rashford
Sanchez or Big Rom

With bench players like Shaw, Herrera, one of the strikers, Martial.... We can play very aggressive (win the ball back immediately) type soccer where we press, win and attack with purpose. This is the style of play I would like to see and I think another manager dropped into the squad could have us playing this way in no time. We do play this way at the beginning of most games and for spells. Mou doesn't force us to just keep the ball like LVG did and he doesn't discourage taking risks. But on the other hand, he doesn't demand that we press as a style which I believe lets many lesser teams stay in the game with us and with our quality all over the pitch, the faster, more pressing the game, the better I believe we would perform. When teams are allowed to slow the game and we pack our defense back into the final 1/3, I believe it negates our pace and quality. We need open spaces for our runners. We need press created turnovers to let our runners out of the gates. We have fast players all around the pitch and players that seem like they have a very high workrate. Those 2 things alone can be the foundations of a gameplan for a lesser squad. BUT when you add that our pace is packed into players like Big Rom, Rashford, Martial, Lingard, Pogba, Fred, and maybe still Shaw and Valencia who have greater quality than the average premier team, then I believe the more we can create a pressure cooker environment, the more we expose other team's deficiencies. That's always been my strategy when I coach kids, pressure and force mistakes by lesser skilled players or lesser athletes.

Last edited:
Martial in a pressing side would be quite humorous. He'll press for about 5 minutes and just give up and just casually doddle around the pitch there on.

simplyared

2 things. Win titles and begin to play pressing, aggressive defensive and immediate counterattacking football. We have most of the personnel to pull it off. Aggression will paper over some of our deficiencies and DDG will paper over the rest. I'd like for us to become the most tenacious, pressing side in the world. We can do it with the speed, strength and athleticism like this lineup:

DDG
Valencia-Bailly-Lindelof-Young (or Shaw if he continues to impress)
Pereria(or Herrera)
Lingard-Pogba-Fred-Rashford
Sanchez or Big Rom

With bench players like Shaw, Herrera, one of the strikers, Martial.... We can play very aggressive (win the ball back immediately) type soccer where we press, win and attack with purpose. This is the style of play I would like to see and I think another manager dropped into the squad could have us playing this way in no time. We do play this way at the beginning of most games and for spells. Mou doesn't force us to just keep the ball like LVG did and he doesn't discourage taking risks but he doesn't demand that we press as a style which I believe lets many lesser teams stay in the game with us and with our quality all over the pitch, the faster, more pressing the game, the better I believe we would perform. When teams are allowed to slow the game and we pack our defense back into the final 1/3, I believe it negates our pace and quality. We need open spaces for our runners. We need press created turnovers to let our runners out of the gates. We have fast players all around the pitch and players that seem like they have a very high workrate. Those 2 things alone can be the foundations of a gameplan for a lesser squad. BUT when you add that our pace is packed into players like Big Rom, Rashford, Martial, Lingard, Pogba, Fred, and maybe still Shaw and Valencia who have greater quality than the average premier team, then I believe the more we can create a pressure cooker environment, the more we expose other team's deficiencies. That's always been my strategy when I coach kids, pressure and force mistakes by lesser skilled players or lesser athletes.
Good post. Sounds like you know your football!

Member 113277

What do I want from the team?

To score 1 more than the opposition in 25 games and the same as the opposition and the same in 8.

ValenciaRocks

Forget all the negativity we’re reading and hearing in the media. Leave out the speculation and look at the football instead.

It amazes me to hear so many posters on the Caf prepared to accept the type of football we are being presented with.

The impression I get is the majority of posters who complain about the entertainment value, are old school. Of which I am proudly one of.

After seeing the Leicester game the signs were there. Same old story: lack of attacking football, we scrape through, hangin on, could have well been a draw (thinking of Vardy’s missed volley) and we’re playing a mid table team at OT.

Football for me is about entertainment first and foremost. Not even our manager can go to the trouble of changing the miserable expression on his face. Aren’t we losing the point of what football is all about?

Our great club has thrived on entertaining people all over the world. Also Munich has contributed to building a fan base second to none.

Some Caf member started a thread recently about the risk of us losing a big portion of our fan base due to the crap football we’re dishing up. So relevant!

Just for the record I was born with utd blood in my veins, am a Mancunian and started going to matches in the early 60’s. and I’m not going to feck off and support anyone else.

So are you a utd fan contented with the football you are seeing, happy scraping 2 pts from mediocre clubs, think our 2nd place last season was a great achievment, and we shouldn’t moan, or do you want more?

Do you know what, I’d really like it if we scored lots of goals. Preferably more goals than our opposition. I think this would help us win more games. If we win more games we can win more trophies.

Member 113277

So 83 points will make you happy? I think it'll take 90+ to win the league this year.
I think you're right, but we are not a league winning team (yet) and you have to be realistic.