What does Michael Carrick do?

lsd

The Oracle
Seriously I have never seen the guy move or speak . He just sits on that bench like he is waiting on a bus .

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
What would you like to see him do?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The thread title gave me a flashback to some of his early days playing for United. Oh sweet memories. :(

lsd

The Oracle

Offer something . You see McKenna offering Ole advice same for Phelan.

Then you have Carrick sat as still as a Martial . The guy is on massive wages sitting on the best seat in the house . Stealing a living

Andersonson

Offer something . You see McKenna offering Ole advice same for Phelan.

Then you have Carrick sat as still as a Martial . The guy is on massive wages sitting on the best seat in the house . Stealing a living
You have no clue do you? He is a part of the coaching staff, he aint the manager. His job is pre-game, not during...

Stealing a living... Do some research mate.

Google.com for instance

lsd

The Oracle
You have no clue do you? He is a part of the coaching staff, he aint the manager. His job is pre-game, not during...

Google.com for instance

Funny as I often read about players saying how good McKenna is and how much he improves them but Carrick nothing

RedIan

I had the same thought today when the TV camera panned to the bench. Ole in discussion on a change of player And tactics with McKenna with Carrick sat in the middle of them not moving/looking/speaking, looked glazed over!!. much as i loved him as a player he needs to show a little more spark as part of the coaching team... Dunc Fergussan stood with no jacket on in cold rain roaring at his players must have inspired Everton - compare and contrast...

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Depends on what his job is. I thought that he was a coach.
If that is all then maybe that is all he is supposed to do.
But if that is the case then why does he and McKenna sit next to Ole.
Surely they should have some input to him instead of looking so vague.

redshaw

To be fair Ole seemed to congratulate him in the previous game when we scored, like his work paid off or something. Pogba has said some good things about Carrick.

He's there mainly watching how the players are performing and doing his work on the training pitch. I just doubt he's the standard of trainer we need. Him, Phelan and McKenna is probably too much of the same.

Zen86

Depends on what his job is. I thought that he was a coach.
If that is all then maybe that is all he is supposed to do.
But if that is the case then why does he and McKenna sit next to Ole.
Surely they should have some input to him instead of looking so vague.
It must be a boring 90 minutes for you if you’re sat watching Carrick the whole time.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I had the same thought today when the TV camera panned to the bench. Ole in discussion on a change of player And tactics with McKenna with Carrick sat in the middle of them not moving/looking/speaking, looked glazed over!!. much as i loved him as a player he needs to show a little more spark as part of the coaching team... Dunc Fergussan stood with no jacket on in cold rain roaring at his players must have inspired Everton - compare and contrast...
Scenes when he misses the next game due to a nasty flu

Gopher Brown

I love it when my boss stands in the office shouting encouragement at me while I make spreadsheets. It really improves my performance.

acnumber9

People are drawing conclusions from maybe 20 seconds of footage in a ninety minute game? People are stupid.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Does great stand up I hear.

His mother in law jokes are a speciality

Russky14

Seriously I have never seen the guy move or speak . He just sits on that bench like he is waiting on a bus .

Some great replies here. I said this last season. Looks like he is on some prescription med like Diazapan. He is probably still sat there now in a daze.

I live in the NEast and after the red defeat here Carrick & Shearer were at a local boys club opening a new 3g training facility. The local news spoke to shearer didn't even bother with Carrick. I reckon he woke one morning and now speaks in fluent scouse, so banned from any dialogue.

Revaulx

People are drawing conclusions from maybe 20 seconds of footage in a ninety minute game? People are stupid.
No they aren’t. Maybe stupid to single out Carrick, but it’s obvious that things have changed since the days of Ole’s honeymoon period.

Back then it was great to see the way he and his staff were constantly engaging with each other. Pointing out stuff going on, animated discussions, joy at seeing something that had (presumably) been practiced in training coming off. Now there’s little of that, and much of the time they are just slumped in their seats with glazed over looks.

Maybe it actually isn’t important, and in no way reflects the much more important stuff that goes on in training. It’s definitely not the same though.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
I thought this too. He literally does nothing, just sits there looking bored.

I’m sick of the club giving former players a ‘crack at the whip’ out of loyalty. That’s the reason we’ve been in this shit state the past 6-7 years.

Employ a rightman for the job and let his full staff come in. Stop letting former players “have a go” cause they’re legends.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Who knows, I mean how can anyone even answer that question when no one attends first team training.

poleglass red

Google.com for instance
Bit a of a cop out that. He will be the one working on tactical formations with the players during the sessions. Obviolusly Ole will be the one selecting said formations but the coach will be the one implementing them. We will change shape during the course of the game, we will change personnel during a game. Certain players at times need reminded of their roles they worked in training during a game. The only valid reason I can think of why he sits like he does is because Ole has told him to. Maybe he doesn't want to have too many members of the staff talking to the players, Ole isn't shy of barking out instructions himself, because I can see no reason why he would sit so emotionless during a game

roseguy64

Ole and Phelan are the ones doing most of the talking to the players during the game. Why do people want one of the coaches out there barking out instructions or looking lively. Leave it to the ones with the actual authority to do their jobs.

Unless you're sat behind them each match day seeing how the coaches interact with Ole then there's zero evidence he's doing nothing.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Be careful what you wish for, you don’t want to swap Carrick for a clown like Big Dunc!

youngrell

Carrick was put in place by Mourinho, and quite obviously impressed enough to be kept on in Ole's staff. Even LvG described him as a player-coach when we was here, so he clearly makes a decent impression in training with regards to helping/coaching the players.

stevoc

Sky/BT need to have an Assistant coach cam via the red button. That way people can switch over and watch Carrick for the full 90 minutes to see exactly what he does. There'll be no hiding then Micky.

Valuedrug

Carrick is Ole's mate, he's there for morale and company.
This. People who don’t talk much are undervalued in terms of friendship. I bet Carrick is a great listener.

In fact given the stress of being United manager, I imagine they have a bit of a setup to keep Ole from losing his marbles publicly. Something in the mould of a soundproof room with no windows for Carrick to shepherd Ole to, when he starts to get incoherent and twitchy. Think ending scene of the Aviator for reference.

This is Ole’s safe space. No need for smiles or nicknames in here. He can curl into a ball in the corner or go pantless if he needs to. All the while Carrick stays perfectly calm, maintaining his docile, thousand mile stare. A true friend and stoic.

Half an hour of this, and Ole is ready to be United manager again.