What exactly is Ole Gunnar Solskjaer responsible for as United manager?

fastwalker

Since Ole's arrival last year, his record has been 13 wins five draws and six defeats. Perhaps more worrying is that in the last 10 games we have won just twice, drawn three and lost five. Over that period it is interesting to see how United fans have responded to the team's performances both good and bad.

When things are going well, fans are quick to spotlight the performances of individual players and others have been quick to praise Ole as well. However, when things are not going so well Ed Woodward and the Glazers come in for immediate criticism, as do particular players, with some critique directed at Ole as well.

For the avoidance of doubt, as manager or head coach, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is responsible for:
  • coaching and player fitness
  • tactics and in-game planning and management
  • team and squad selection
  • squad rotation
  • player development and talent management
  • motivation
  • team discipline
In other words if the team is not performing on the pitch then it is down to Ole. If the tactics are not working and they cannot find a way to break teams down, then it is down to the Ole. If the culture in the dressing room is not right, then it is down to Ole to sort it out. If players cannot be developed to their fullest potential, then it is down to Ole. If the team cannot win even when playing poorly, then it is down to the Ole.

I totally agree with other United fans that we need more signings and have to improve the quality of our squad. I totally agree that United are a work in progress and need to be rebuilt, but is anyone seriously saying that Mauricio Pochettino, Pep Guardiola and Jurgen Klopp could not get more out that United side than Ole has? Are we seriously saying that the likes of Wijnaldum, Henderson and Milner are better than what we have at United?

Ole is a club legend but that counts for absolutely nothing as United manager. As manager I judge him by exactly the same standard as those who preceded him. The bar cannot be lowered for Ole any more than it was not lowered for Moyes, Van Gaal or Mourinho. When performance levels failed to meet expectations under Ole's predecessors, they were rightly tied to the yardarm and lashed.

I will hold Woodward and the Glazers accountable for the appointment and performance of managers, player recruitment, transfer strategy, commercial operations and revenue generation. I will not hold the Board accountable for the abject failure to deliver acceptable performances on the pitch other than when they fail to remove a manager who proves incapable.

I am not an 'Ole-outer' but why are some United fans constantly making excuses for Ole and blaming the Board and just about anyone else for what seems to be his lack of management acumen?

Chairman Steve

He’s responsible for the results and our style of play. I always thought that in order for him to succeed here, he needs DOF figures in the background. There is no clear DOF at the club. It’s a bunch of guys who come from different managerial eras and all roughly have the same remit... and I imagine they all report to that fecking accountant we have in charge of everything and ultimately has final say.

It’s not his fault that the club mess around with paying transfer fees for players, can’t sell players and make very modest funds available for recruitment.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
If you have shit players, you play shit football. I said the same when Jose was here, and it won't change until we sort our midfield and attack. Ole is not a miracle worker.

Ralph1386

If we were to be critical, I would say that his in-game management leaves a lot to be desired. There’s no clear plan B tactic when things aren’t going as planned. He looks out of ideas sometimes.

But that is far from being our biggest problem at the club.

Mox+

Very good post. There ARE things we can hold Ole responsible for, which you mentioned. Those things don’t account for the whole reason why the club is under-performing, but we should expect better from the parts Ole are in charge of.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Alabaster Codify7

If you have shit players, you play shit football. I said the same when Jose was here, and it won't change until we sort our midfield and attack. Ole is not a miracle worker.

This. Solskjaer might not be qualified for the job but Pep or Klopp would not be winning titles with this squad. They wouldn't be finishing 6th, either. Maybe comfortably 4th.

Abhinav

Since Ole's arrival last year, his record has been 13 wins five draws and six defeats. Perhaps more worrying is that in the last 10 games we have won just twice, drawn three and lost five. Over that period it is interesting to see how United fans have responded to the team's performances both good and bad.

When things are going well, fans are quick to spotlight the performances of individual players and others have been quick to praise Ole as well. However, when things are not going so well Ed Woodward and the Glazers come in for immediate criticism, as do particular players, with some critique directed at Ole as well.

For the avoidance of doubt, as manager or head coach, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is responsible for:
  • coaching and player fitness
  • tactics and in-game planning and management
  • team and squad selection
  • squad rotation
  • player development and talent management
  • motivation
  • team discipline
In other words if the team is not performing on the pitch then it is down to Ole. If the tactics are not working and they cannot find a way to break teams down, then it is down to the Ole. If the culture in the dressing room is not right, then it is down to Ole to sort it out. If players cannot be developed to their fullest potential, then it is down to Ole. If the team cannot win even when playing poorly, then it is down to the Ole.

I totally agree with other United fans that we need more signings and have to improve the quality of our squad. I totally agree that United are a work in progress and need to be rebuilt, but is anyone seriously saying that Mauricio Pochettino, Pep Guardiola and Jurgen Klopp could not get more out that United side than Ole has? Are we seriously saying that the likes of Wijnaldum, Henderson and Milner are better than what we have at United?

Ole is a club legend but that counts for absolutely nothing as United manager. As manager I judge him by exactly the same standard as those who preceded him. The bar cannot be lowered for Ole any more than it was not lowered for Moyes, Van Gaal or Mourinho. When performance levels failed to meet expectations under Ole's predecessors, they were rightly tied to the yardarm and lashed.

I will hold Woodward and the Glazers accountable for the appointment and performance of managers, player recruitment, transfer strategy, commercial operations and revenue generation. I will not hold the Board accountable for the abject failure to deliver acceptable performances on the pitch other than when they fail to remove a manager who proves incapable.

I am not an 'Ole-outer' but why are some United fans constantly making excuses for Ole and blaming the Board and just about anyone else for what seems to be his lack of management acumen?
Its not about making excuses for Ole but providing context to the situation we find ourselves in. When people start calling for the manager’s head 3 games into the season then it is only reasonable for others to support the current manager and bring some balance to the discussion.
On merit, we have at best the 5th/6th best squad on paper and I invite anyone to present their arguments for saying otherwise. If come end of season, we don’t end up in the top 6 then by all means Ole and his team screwed up.

Having said that, a team of Man United’s resources should be in the top 4 at the minimum. So if we see a squad full of young potential but with gaping holes in midfield and with little back up in attack, people are going to ask questions of Ed Woodward, who has been in his job much longer than any of the managers that he has appointed.

And for argument’s sake, lets say we sack Ole, do you really trust the current hierarchy to make the right appointment this time? Till when are we going to let these incompetent idiots get away with making one bad decision after another.

fastwalker

Its not about making excuses for Ole but providing context to the situation we find ourselves in. When people start calling for the manager’s head 3 games into the season then it is only reasonable for others to support the current manager and bring some balance to the discussion.
On merit, we have at best the 5th/6th best squad on paper and I invite anyone to present their arguments for saying otherwise. If come end of season, we don’t end up in the top 6 then by all means Ole and his team screwed up.

Having said that, a team of Man United’s resources should be in the top 4 at the minimum. So if we see a squad full of young potential but with gaping holes in midfield and with little back up in attack, people are going to ask questions of Ed Woodward, who has been in his job much longer than any of the managers that he has appointed.

And for argument’s sake, lets say we sack Ole, do you really trust the current hierarchy to make the right appointment this time? Till when are we going to let these incompetent idiots get away with making one bad decision after another.
I do take your point, but there is context in the OP. I reference the entirety of Ole's tenure (the equivalent of more than half a Premier League season) not just the last three games. I am not suggesting that we sack Ole. In fact I think it would be madness to do so even if we had lost all three games. My point is that we seem to be quick to praise Ole when the team is performing and slow to hold him accountable when it is not. Ole is the manager of Manchester United and should be accountable in exactly the same way as other managers have been, not treated like some unfortunate kidnapping victim.

OohAahMartial

Is he also responsible for converting penalties? Or for being denied clear and obvious penalties?
Is he responsible for our greater fitness? Our new pressing style? Our 4-0 of Chelsea with great counter-attacking football? Our 70% possession against Crystal Palace and over 20 chances?

We could just as easily be on 9 points now and top of the table with slightly better luck (penalties converted, better refs).

hobbers

As far as I can see it the entirety of his responsibility is to put positive spins on poor transfer strategy and bigging up the self esteem of habitually shit players.

And be a meat shield for Ed and the Glazers of course.

Esquire

As far as I can see it the entirety of his responsibility is to put positive spins on poor transfer strategy and bigging up the self esteem of habitually shit players.

And be a meat shield for Ed and the Glazers of course.
I honestly don’t understand the call out against Ole this early. Look at the talent and the lack of depth we have. We had clear investment needs but the management basically said we will give you one marquee signing but the rest will be moderate expenditures. We won’t replace senior first team players either. I mean WTF. We have clearly gotten weaker in attack and midfield What’s he supposed to do.

Meat shield is definitely the appropriate description here. Some say United fans are spoiled but I say we are actually incredible forgiving and docile. We blame the players and the manager but won’t stop attending games etc. And knowing full well that the problems with this club is structural and have everything to do with ownership.

Lentwood

Ole is basically a caretaker/cheerleader overseeing a difficult transition for the club

We’ll finish 6th twice under Ole, thanks him for his efforts and appoint Poch

Bestietom

Ole has a huge job on his hands, but he needs backing from the Glazers and Wooward. 70million net spend is not nearly enough for a rebuild of this team/squad.
He knows we need 2 midfielders a striker and a RW, but there is nothing he can do about it without the money. They say now, that he can have the Lukaku money in January, but who do we go for first, is the question. Midfielder, Forward, or RW.

PureCantona7

If the club let Moyes carry on as long as he did what makes you think Ole is going to get any less time? That's why you get shut down when you talk about sacking Ole, your not being realistic nevermind whether your right or wrong.

ship50

So many threads about Ole. Anyway, it is becoming clear that he does lack a second plan when things are not going well. The question is - is this because he feels he doesn't have the players? Our midfield and attack is lacking in creating chances and converting chances. Is this because of Ole and his staff or just that we don't have good enough players? I don't know but to be in top 4, we need better than players like Lingard or Matic. How much of that is due to the manager, I can't say.