What happens when we come up against decent opposition? | Errr

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Is this going to work against the rest of the top 6?

It has been pointed out that even Jose's United would have beaten Cardiff. Albeit we would probably have had to come back from behind. However, we couldn't beat Southampton.

Anyway, once we come up against a proper team, and Ole gets to see that this managing United lark is a bit tricky dicky, how will we fair?

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
No idea, won't want to watch it from behind the sofa though which is nice.

Classical Mechanic

The system may get exposed at the back, we’ll have to wait and see.

Not sure Jose’s United would have beaten Cardiff. They had been doing well at home recently and our away form was very poor.

Stepney73

Under Jose we would have folded after conceding that penalty.

Wrd82

It has been pointed out that even Jose's United would have beaten Cardiff. Albeit we would probably have had to come back from behind. However, we couldn't beat Southampton.

Anyway, once we come up against a proper team, and Ole gets to see that this managing United lark is a bit tricky dicky, how will we fair?
I was an avid JM fan but hearing things coming out in the press I have changed my opinion and think his main approach to games was to keep things very tight and hope he had enough quality up top through set plays and counter attacking to get the 1/2 goals needed to win games (hence building a team full of giants). He has always had good teams full Of talent everywhere he has managed he has just aired them up and cut down the goals against column.
We now know full backs were ordered to stay within 15/20 yards of centre backs when the ball was turned over and other things he insisted on. That’s why he was so irate at Luke shaw in certain games.
Looking at it now all OGS has done is unleash the players. In bigger games it will test his prep and how he tactically prepares against an opposition that can hurt us but I also think he will have a go at the bigger teams a lot more especially at home.
The one thing I will say is OGS is a gentleman and comes across so much more humble than his predecessor it’s a joy to see a man who truly loves our club sat in the dugout and I think the outside perception of the club is a lot more positive already.

Reactions: Invictus

MrSingh2002

Last night it looked to me as though Ashley Young was way too far forward in his starting position. A top level winger would exploit that but this approach will definately work better for us than Jose's approach against the bottom 10 teams.

Ole will have to pass his test against the top 10 sides yet but atleast we can go into those games with some hope.

AJ10

Jose might have beaten Cardiff but the performance would have been like day and night. We would have defended for 70% of the match with our attacking players sitting around penalty box and our defenders cracking under consistent attacks from Cardiff. For me it wasn't the result which was impressive (which jose would have gotten) But it was attacking intent from start to finish, movement on and off the ball, forward passes even from the likes of herrera/ matic, our players playing in their half rather than ours. whether we can play similar vs top teams, I don't know, but at least (Hopefully) Manchester United will not be playing on the back foot vs bottom half teams. One step at a time :)

Greck

Yesterday wasn't our ceiling. Things are as likely to improve as they are to worsen. I could think of a few tweaks to the lineups to help us cope better in tougher games. Especially the midfield and defence

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We'll likely adapt for bigger matches, even so, we need to play on the front foot no matter who we play against; we're Manchester United.
After watching our 'performance' against Liverpool, any attacking intent will be an improvement.

The United

Of course we will change a few things against top teams.

We should still be playing like we did yesterday against the bottom 10 teams or so though.

Being on front foot is a good way to start a game even against good teams. Giving teams (big or small) some confident by playing in our half from the beginning had been our own undoing under Jose in general.

It clearly didn't suit with our team or club.

Foxbatt

Last night it looked to me as though Ashley Young was way too far forward in his starting position. A top level winger would exploit that but this approach will definately work better for us than Jose's approach against the bottom 10 teams.

Ole will have to pass his test against the top 10 sides yet but atleast we can go into those games with some hope.
Yes you are right. I noticed it too and more than a few times he got caught and any other team would exploit that. I want t give a go at every team and we would score. We would also probably concede but surely we will score. Our attack will scare any defence. The worry is our defence will not scare any attack either. :D

The Irish Connection

We were playing some risky passes yesterday from the back and in midfield and on another day we will likely leak goals from it, but feck it, it’s way more enjoyable to watch and when the risks come off we will see some lovely soccer.
Main thing is to just enjoy watching United again.

P.s. pereira looked class yesterday for the bit he came on

Web of Bissaka

It can work, just have a great go at these decent opposition.
Good number of smaller teams already managed to sneak in to beat City's defense or even the other top teams, it's not impenetrable.

Either way, as long as we play this way, I don't care too much about the results.
:devil:Just go guns blazing attack, attack, attack! No Fear!

If we win, good, and if not, well we had a great go at 'em, no regrets. Revenge next match.

... okay realistically, I'm pretty sure Ole and co will set-up the team to be more cautious, likely Herrera and Matic will play the holding role more, slight change of tactic to the Cardiff one, with Herrera less joining in the attacks. Different system may also be implemented, but the attacking ideas are still the same. 2nd half, we sort of play cautiously with a flat midfield in response to their teams throwing more bodies upfield at the later minutes to cut their passes, so their best option is long ball and we have Fellaini ready there at the back to help our CB. Pereira seems to play more as LM not LW, and looks similar at our other wing, deeper role RM.

Ekeke

Jose drew 5 games and lost 5 others so far this season. I'm not convinced he would have beat Cardiff

Thiagoal

Everyone is assuming Ole would set up the same way against City away as he did yesterday! There's no way he'd be so naive! However, he will set us up on the front foot and stick to his principles of pressing and dominating possession which will be a massive leap forward from the 'hang on in there' and hope tactics of the past two and a half years!

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He's just an interim manager. No need to think too hard and put high expectation.

kidbob

It should have been said that Ole has been with the team for around 72 hours at this stage. We have no bloody idea how it will go by the time we play the top 6. Maybe we will be the most inform team in the World at that point and be on course to smash our way to the CL or maybe things won't have worked out quite as well. Either way who truly cares? Now that the virus is gone at least we can enjoy the rest of the season knowing that we have a club legend in charge and that the club have finally been smart enough to look for a DOF and take their time to appoint a full time manager.

Edit: also the top 6 in England isn't actually that fantastic and are entirely beatable on their day. City and Liverpool are top sides but nowhere near the best we have seen, Spurs are alright and Arsenal and Chelsea are more lucky versions of us who benefitted from playing positive football against the utter gash that is most of this League.

Canagel

Just attack. We have the firepower to hurt any team in this league. If Palace can hurt Man City why can't we?
I don't expect us to keep clean sheets but I expect us to have a go at every team - home and away. I don't mind if the defence is exposed. In fact it'll be easier to spot where the weak links are and the club can look to rectify that in the transfer market if needed.

ChaddyP

The system may get exposed at the back, we’ll have to wait and see.

Not sure Jose’s United would have beaten Cardiff. They had been doing well at home recently and our away form was very poor.
old system was also exposed at the back tbf. at least now if we lose we will be going out in a blaze of glory

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
The 5-3 away to Leicester under LVG still haunts me, I’d be concerned it’s the type of performance and result that this team has in it if it goes gung-ho against anyone with a bit of quality. It certainly freaked the feck out of Van Gaal, and it’s the type of thing Mourinho went way over-the-top to guard against.

RedorDead21

Its a better test of our players now to decide who should stay. If they get battered playing this style by the teams above us as well....some of them might be moved on. Pogs needs to improve as do many others. If they do it really helps assessment of the gaps. Right now its more gaps than certainties in terms of who has to remain for me.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
We need a left back and a right back that'll actually get back and defend.

For now though, just enjoy getting confidence back against some easy opponents.

We're not good enough to go gung ho against City or Liverpool but I'd at least like to see us try. Rather lose 6-3 than 3-0.

RedorDead21

What realistic expectation you have from a half season interim manager who had small amount managerial experienced in top level of football comp?
A 'better' push for 4th even if I think its beyond him and anyone else given the form of those above us. Even if we finish 6th thats ok if the football stays at a good level. The important thing is getting the structure of the club right with Ole in charge from youth and scouting to first team and I think he'll improve us there more so than league position!

Kag

Hopefully we’ll try to score goals and win the game. If we lose then so be it. I can get pissed off about it then.

RedorDead21

We need a left back and a right back that'll actually get back and defend.

For now though, just enjoy getting confidence back against some easy opponents.

We're not good enough to go gung ho against City or Liverpool but I'd at least like to see us try. Rather lose 6-3 than 3-0.
We have Dalot we can't just overlook him if we are a club who trusts young players? Shaw maybe can step up some levels as well. Not just about buying again and again.

Kag

The 5-3 away to Leicester under LVG still haunts me, I’d be concerned it’s the type of performance and result that this team has in it if it goes gung-ho against anyone with a bit of quality. It certainly freaked the feck out of Van Gaal, and it’s the type of thing Mourinho went way over-the-top to guard against.
I’ll be honest, this lingers in my mind, too. But we’ve got a much better team now than we did then. We haven’t got the likes of Tyler Blackett or Paddy McNair in the back four either.

I can certainly sense a hammering in the offing if we do go gung-ho, but you’d hope that there’s enough sense between the coaching staff to be wary of opposition threats, especially in the big games.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
We have Dalot we can't just overlook him if we are a club who trusts young players? Shaw maybe can step up some levels as well. Not just about buying again and again.
We need to actually play Dalot.

Whatever happens we can't play Young, he's a liability defensively.

Shaw can hopefully stay fit.