What has happened to Renato Sanches?

Canagel

Seriously whats going on with this guy? He was amazing at the Euros last summer and most of us here were gutted that he went to Bayern instead of coming here. Mourinho said he would've fighted to sign him if he came earlier. 1 year on and he is warming the bench at Swansea. Has there been anyone who's had such a fall from grace like that? He still very young but he has no confidence and Heycknes said that Bayern don't need him anymore which is pretty damning. I almost feel sorry for him especially with how things have progressed since the Euros. His performances were incredible there and I know this might sound crazy but we need some cover in the middle with Fellaini's future uncertain and Carrick probably retiring. Herrera has been very poor and Matic has been run into the ground this season especially in Pogba's absence. A midfield 3 of Matic, Sanches and Pogba looks quite good on paper. I would give Sanches another chance if I was Mourinho just purely based on what we saw from him because you must have some talent to perform at a big stage like the Euros at 18 years of age. There must be something there but what does everyone think?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
He wasn't amazing at the euros. I specifically remember being baffled by anyone thinking he was playing well. He looked like an oaf

Pace Abuser

I remember a number of posters bemoaning LVG veto'ing the signing and we having to get Pogba instead. This was after Jose expressed interest.

Personally I've never understood the hype. Not even at the Euros.

Schneckerl

The correct answer is that he was never good in the first place

Incredible that Bayern got fooled

During the Euro I thought the whole internet and media is on a collective windup and tries to troll me. wtf were they watching?

Stuff got out of hand after his goal vs Poland on any site featuring an upvote/like systems. Anything which wasnt praise got downvoted into oblivion.

The counterargument to any criticism was 'FFS he's just 18 years old!!!'

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Portugal won the euro's hence, surely this guy was going to be world class, he wasn't, isnt and won't be.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Seriously whats going on with this guy? He was amazing at the Euros last summer and most of us here were gutted that he went to Bayern instead of coming here. Mourinho said he would've fighted to sign him if he came earlier. 1 year on and he is warming the bench at Swansea. Has there been anyone who's had such a fall from grace like that? He still very young but he has no confidence and Heycknes said that Bayern don't need him anymore which is pretty damning. I almost feel sorry for him especially with how things have progressed since the Euros. His performances were incredible there and I know this might sound crazy but we need some cover in the middle with Fellaini's future uncertain and Carrick probably retiring. Herrera has been very poor and Matic has been run into the ground this season especially in Pogba's absence. A midfield 3 of Matic, Sanches and Pogba looks quite good on paper. I would give Sanches another chance if I was Mourinho just purely based on what we saw from him because you must have some talent to perform at a big stage like the Euros at 18 years of age. There must be something there but what does everyone think?
He was alright to good at the Euros. By no means was he amazing. I'm not sure why he got the award but it was mainly the media hyping him I think.

midou

His best attribute has always been his age. Definition of a generic player.

izzydiggler

He’s barely 20 years old, had a lot of Europe’s top clubs after him and has played for his country in one of the biggest games in world football. Perhaps he won’t be a ‘star’ and may have lost his way or whatever but it continually baffles me how much people expect from young players and are willing to declare them as shit at such a young age.

Schneckerl

I know it has it's flaws, but in this case where people are driven by hype it's really interesting to look at his whoscored stats for each euro game.

you'd notice that he has one amazing game vs poland with 9.1 and was pretty much the worst player in every other match with a 6.0-6.5 rating.

Sing you a song

Maybe not as good as we all thought, but big mistake going to Swansea for a relegation battle surrounded by 3rd rate teammates at a club on a rapid downward spiral . Don't think he could have chosen many worse options than this

Smores

Its funny that in these type of threads you never see many admit they were on the hype train. As far i recall it was the majority of the caf at the time.

Same with Adnan, thread after thread praising his potential but you'd think he was never rated highly now.

Wonder who the overhyped youngster is at the moment.

Nick7

He wasn't amazing at the euros. He's just not that good. A player that is failing spectacularly should not even be in the question for a United team. It's all hype and no substance.

Sterling Archer

He wasn't amazing at the euros. I specifically remember being baffled by anyone thinking he was playing well. He looked like an oaf
This.

The OP is a good reminder that hype transcends actually watching a player. That or validates that many a fan can't honestly tell much about how good a player is watching just a few games on the tv

Crimson King

He was alright to good at the Euros. By no means was he amazing. I'm not sure why he got the award but it was mainly the media hyping him I think.
I always felt that a lot of that hype came from the fact that United had supposedly 'missed out' on him, at least in the English media that was the overarching narrative.

The amount of times a commentator/pundit must have mentioned something along the lines of how gutted United must feel right now, relative to how many minutes he played and the actual impact he had at the Euros, was pretty mind boggling.

Perhaps my red-tinted specs just processed it like this, but I remember getting really irritated by it.

cyberman

The reason he has gotten a buy for so long is down to this forum wetting themselves every time Bayern make a signing.
They always get their business done so early, best run club in the world etc etc..

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Its funny that in these type of threads you never see many admit they were on the hype train.
I will freely admit that I was on the hype train, fell asleep and missed my stop.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Its funny that in these type of threads you never see many admit they were on the hype train. As far i recall it was the majority of the caf at the time.

Same with Adnan, thread after thread praising his potential but you'd think he was never rated highly now.

Wonder who the overhyped youngster is at the moment.
Exacly, 95% of the posters here were on the hype train but, surprisingly or not, everyone says he's shit now.

Me and any other Portuguese non benfica fans knew very well he was just another propaganda product by the press. Now, he's not some awful footballer, he's going through some depressive phase/can't deal being away from family etc.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
@abdo99 no he wasn’t amazing at the Euros, far from it. He had a decent competition, but the media’s love for exaggeration placed him far above his station. The weaknesses in his game are abundantly clear, and it comes as no surprise that now he’s moved away from a physically weak league, he’s looking perfectly ordinary.

Schneckerl

Exacly, 95% of the posters here were on the hype train but, surprisingly or not, everyone says he's shit now.

Me and any other Portuguese non benfica fans knew very well he was just another propaganda product by the press. Now, he's not some awful footballer, he's going through some depressive phase/can't deal being away from family etc.
No, people who were wrong about him just arent posting here.

You can check my post history I always said he was overrated

Cristiano Lell

BANNED LOLZ
Supports
Bayern München
The reason he has gotten a buy for so long is down to this forum wetting themselves every time Bayern make a signing.
They always get their business done so early, best run club in the world etc etc..
This is true lol. I mean I won't lie, it does feel great to be lauded and used as a positive foil etc., but at times it got to a point where even us Bayern posters were like "woah calm down, we're not actually THAT well run".
Flipside of course is that the constant manic self-deprecation by some Utd fans can turn into equally manic outbursts of defiant hatred, when, say, someone from our board says something about Schweinsteiger being mistreated or such :lol:

Deleted member 101472

I think what happened with him at the Euros is a lot of people’s got caught somewhere amongst the distinction of;

“He looks like a player”

And

“He’s playing great”

haram

Didn't he score a goal at the Euro's and then people decided he was good based on hype.

Robbie Boy

He was massively overrated because of his physicality at such a young age. Never saw it with him and he's been utterly terrible for a year or now.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I didn't see the Euro 16 hype either. He ran around a lot. That seems to win you plaudits with the English press though. Sissoko ran around a lot too, and the press then decided he had a better Euros than Pogba.

If only Lingard had gone to the Euros, he'd have ran and local ladded all over the place, much the delight of the press. Soz Lingard. I like you really.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The Euros was weird for this in general. I remember loads of people getting into a frenzy about how good Sissoko was for France and I was just bemused. He was crap.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Looking back at the old Sanches thread and the oracle @Kevin got panned for saying this kid was gash from the off.
Eagle-eyed unbiased poster alert!

Always get people wound up for saying something that in hindsight will be correct 80% of the time, but because I have eyes and can think for myself the sheep can't handle my no nonsense larger than life insight. But everytime when I turn out to be right, enough time has flown by for me to care anymore and for them to remember all their bs claims from the past.

manutddjw

It's the age we live in. I play FIFA too, but I can differentiate between the game and real life and I actually watch the games and don't just check results and post on Twitter later. So many things that are true in FIFA, people believe to be true in real life. From anyone over 30 is useless, pace will cause you to beat any team and in the case of Sanches every young player turns out good.

Blue always red

I think it's unfair to call him a bad player. He still produces moments of magic that other players can't. I think with Sanches, like many creators, he's very much a confidence player. When he's down, none of his flicks or skills pay off.

Oaencha

He was fairly decent at the Euros and his goal and looks/marketability got him a big move far too soon. A relegation dogfight with Swansea while trying to rebuild your stock was a poor choice as well. I still think there’s a good player there but it’s very unlikely he will ever be world class.