What I Want

BR7

Afternoon fellow united lovers hope you’re all keeping well and healthy.

I’m an outter (I’ll say it now) but this thread isn’t solely about Ole but the club as a whole.

so you’re the chairman, you now have to decide what the future plans for the club are. I’d really be grateful if we could try and understand each others’ opinions rather than just talking about ole, he’s had plenty of bashing (not just from me) , but more what does the club need to do now and for the next couple of years to get us back on track.

So in essence what do you want?

Baneofthegame

New owners, Sporting Director, clear recruitment vision, Old Trafford refurb and some trophies.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
The board to have a meeting with fans and tell us just what they do for their fecking huge salaries.. all members of the board

Acquire Me

If you look at last season and especially after Christmas, we had progression. This season we need to continue and better ourselves.

The season is barely underway, so now it’s smart to keep calm.

BR7

New owners, Sporting Director, clear recruitment vision, Old Trafford refurb and some trophies.
Ok, so who is the Sporting Director of your choice and is ole in your long term plans? Do you back him with the money and as the CEO how long before you expect results from your manager? If not ole what type of football playing manager do you want?

BR7

If you look at last season and especially after Christmas, we had progression. This season we need to continue and better ourselves.

Ok fine, but do you want a DoF? Who would it be? Don’t forget the short term plan of 2 years do tell me what you’re thought process is from now until the 2 years end

USREDEVIL

I'm a bit of an Ole sympathizer if you will. He might not be the manager we need for ultimate success but he's the manager and should be backed. Had he failed to get us top four last season I could sort of understand putting the brakes on his picks but he did. He should have at least obtained one of his picks but according to reports he got none.

Ultimately I want new owners, Ed out, a DOF, and some proper purchases of top talent like Sancho, Upemecano, and a DM. Also stop giving these geezers new contracts. If we lose them on a free so be it.

Murray3007

the very least is Work Rate, Hunger, Desire, show a bit urgency, look like they actually want to be playing for the club, look disappointed when they have been beaten, not a crap sorry on social media after the game saying they will do better because it happens far to often, Glazers and Ed are going no where, if Ole really loved this club he would walk away for me and really most of the players just aint up to the standard if we are going to get back to the top, many of this current squad would get near the best teams in Europe right now ?

BR7

I'm a bit of an Ole sympathizer if you will. He might not be the manager we need for ultimate success but he's the manager and should be backed. Had he failed to get us top four last season I could sort of understand putting the brakes on his picks but he did. He should have at least obtained one of his picks but according to reports he got none.

Ultimately I want new owners, Ed out, a sporting director, and some proper purchases of top talent like Sancho, Upemecano, and a DM. Also stop giving these geezers new contracts. If we lose them on a free so be it.
Nice, so the DoF you want is? And the future short term plan over the next 2 years is? How long does ole get? Do you give him full support over 2 years? How much will you be willing to pay for sancho?!

BR7

the very least is Work Rate, Hunger, Desire, show a bit urgency, look like they actually want to be playing for the club, look disappointed when they have been beaten, not a crap sorry on social media after the game saying they will do better because it happens far to often, Glazers and Ed are going no where, if Ole really loved this club he would walk away for me and really most of the players just aint up to the standard if we are going to get back to the top, many of this current squad would get near the best teams in Europe right now ?
Ok so let us know as you are the CEO, what would you do over the next two years to achieve that and who would you get rid of player wise (sell or run out their contracts)

USREDEVIL

Nice, so the DoF you want is? And the future short term plan over the next 2 years is? How long does ole get? Do you give him full support over 2 years? How much will you be willing to pay for sancho?!
I'd have to think more about DOF. Short term plan is to solidify the starting 11 with proper purchases like i said about. Ole gets 2 years after we solidify the top 11. Full support until then. As for how much i'd be willing to pay. 100M i suppose. Look at what we paid for Maguire. Would he be purchased at that rate I'm not sure. Don't think that has been tested.

BR7

I'd have to think more about DOF. Short term plan is to solidify the starting 11 with proper purchases like i said about. Ole gets 2 years after we solidify the top 11. Full support until then. As for how much i'd be willing to pay. 100M i suppose. Look at what we paid for Maguire. Would he be purchased at that rate I'm not sure. Don't think that has been tested.
Thanks, look forward to the DoF decision when you reach it

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
What do I want @BR7?

I think the club needs a re-set on the football side in the way its run.

For a start there should be someone at United who is in charge of sporting affairs. Call it a Director of Football, Sporting Director, Technical Director, whatever.

This individual should be in charge of the footballing side of the club. This person should know when players have two years left on their contract and, in consultation with the first team coaching staff, at that point be making plans about what happens next. We should not be allowing players to get into the final two years of their contracts without a clear pathway for them e.g. either a new deal or sell them. If the player refuses to sign a new deal, sell and replace. If the player is not good enough do not renew their contract and make them a wage sink.

This individual should also be in charge of cultivating the right relationships in the footballing world. Intermediaries and agents should be treated as external stakeholders, not people to be relied on. Evra said United trust the wrong people. That seems to be the case if Honingstein is right that we were at a poker table playing alone. I imagine the people at the club got duff information and believed it. However, there should be someone at the club with independent contacts and networks that can verify the information. Why is there nobody at Man Utd who knows Michael Zorc, on a personal level, who could say to Ed Wooodward 'Ed, I know this guy. He's a good chat over a drink but he's got a massive ego. If he's acting like this now he won't change his mind in a month's time. Lets tell Ole we can't get the player and go for another target'?

This individual should also be in charge of doing deals with other clubs. Matt Judge's remit is taking care of the club's debt. Obviously, first team costs are part of that. However, they are just a part of the overall whole despite being time consuming. Someone else should be dealing with those issues within the envelope that is set by the club. Judge should only be getting involved if first team affairs are putting such upward financial pressure on the club that they start to threaten its financial position.

The turnover of players must massively accelerate. When Jurgen Klopp took over at Liverpool he had players like Mingolet, Clyne, Sahko, Skrtel, Joe Allen, Lucas etc. Pretty much his whole squad has been recycled out. United by contrast have pruned around the edges. If you don't get rid of the players you cannot change the style. Its no surprise that LVG, Mourinho and Ole have all resorted to a low block with a double pivot in midfield at various times. With the players we have you cannot play any other way. Trying to push up and play on the front foot is a recipe for disaster with the slow, immobile players we have in our squad. Instead of constantly renewing contracts the club should be cutting the fat. Even if that means relying on more youth players and supplementing that where possible with buys. You will not be able to play front foot, high line football if you're relying on Lindelof and Maguire etc.

Which brings me to the least important person: The first team coach. Should Ole stay? Yes in my opinion. Why? Because unless there's a massive turnover of playing staff a new manager will not be able to achieve much with this set of players. Accepting the limitations of this squad, pretty much all you can do to avoid being ripped on the counter is sit deep and break. Therefore it doesn't really matter who the manager is. That is why Pep kicked out Kolarov, Clichy, DeMichelis etc at City. Pep is a fantastic systems coach but the players have to have the capacity to play his system. Any manager worth his salt is going to come in, look at our squad and decide to do more or less what LVG, Mou and Ole have done: 4-2-3-1, 2 defensive midfielders to protect our slow defence and no space in behind. You don't need a genius coach for that. Ole can do it while continuing to carry out renovations to the squad so its more equipped to play a more Man Utd style of football. Once he has that type of quick, front foot squad then you judge him. If he fails then you get rid of him. However, if you have a chocolate teapot it doesn't matter who the waiter is. So why change?

Murray3007

Ok so let us know as you are the CEO, what would you do over the next two years to achieve that and who would you get rid of player wise (sell or run out their contracts)
Ole would be away, would be looking at VDS or Ragnick to come in as DOF, then be looking at a forward thinking coach like Erik Ten Hag or Nagelsmann, yes I no they would be gambles but nothing else seems to be working, would clear out the backroom staff as well, would ideally bring in ex united players if possible, would be expecting a clear style of play, pressing quick tempo, players comfortable with the ball and not scared to take a chance to create something, really out the current squad would keep Henderson, VDB, Bruno, Rashford, Greenwood, Martial, and would give the new boys a chance, but really wouldn't be to disappointed if any the rest were sold or let go without renewing contracts, the scouting system would need re worked to a certain style of player we need, not like now it looks like they just pluck anyone out. one thing I would keep and I don't actually no who is in charge of it but we seem to be picking up some of the best young players from across the world at moment so looks exciting that.

RUCK4444

This. Calmness would be a feckin beautiful thing.

USREDEVIL

Thanks, look forward to the DoF decision when you reach it
Ha I don't have all the answers and don't pretend to. But continue with your condescension if that gives you a win in your mind. I do not understand some posters. We root for the same team but since we're on social media we need to bicker.

Arka_BleedingRed

In this exact order:
1. Owners who don't treat United from the business perspective only, but also the footballing perspective.
2. A capable director of Football, who can connect with the club's philosophy and be the link between the manager and the owners.
2. A capable, charismatic, young manager who is tactically astute and progressive coaching style, who will integrate and develop talented young players into the squad, coupled with seasoned veterans. But must bring back the never give up mentality so synonymous with the United I grew up watching.
3. Tangible progress, consistent top 4 challengers initially at least and a trophy in the first 1-2 years.
4. A squad which believes in the manager whole heartedly and can connect with the fans.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I think we need a huge overhaul and restructure to bring back the right culture and mentality throughout the club. I don’t know how to make sure we successfully achieve that though. It’s so hard so build. It’s not just a matter of signing players with the right attitude, although that obviously goes a long way.

I’m still pretty furious it was allowed to be ripped out.

Zlatattack

Maybe Roy Keane as assistant manager to Solskjær. That should shake things up a bit.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
To stop the fighting, so :

An owner who runs the club as a charity.
A manager who has never won anything.
An overpriced Borussia Dortmund player , third time lucky, but he's English this time, and who can play centre back
Another overpriced English player who just avoided relegation.

Anyone who has got a thick skin because if we don't win every game and not Premier League champions by November, they've got no chance.

Flying high

Sign the players we need to improve the team.

This summer, 5 would have been enough. RW, CD, FB, CM and CF. Not really too much to ask for a club like ours. Out of those we could have managed with 1 being 33 and another being a raw, but talented youngster. As long as the other 3 were top class starters. Yet again though, we've done half the job.

By this time next year, because of the pressure at this club, we will lose more of the decent players that we do have simply through complete loss of confidence.

If our finances are so tight that we genuinely can't afford 5 players after letting so many leave in the last 18 months, then perhaps the Glazers position in more vulnerable than we thought.......

monosierra

Afternoon fellow united lovers hope you’re all keeping well and healthy.

I’m an outter (I’ll say it now) but this thread isn’t solely about Ole but the club as a whole.

so you’re the chairman, you now have to decide what the future plans for the club are. I’d really be grateful if we could try and understand each others’ opinions rather than just talking about ole, he’s had plenty of bashing (not just from me) , but more what does the club need to do now and for the next couple of years to get us back on track.

I'm the owner as in I'm Joel Glazer? Well I'd hold on to this investment first of all given how much of a cash cow it is for the family business. I would remove Woodward from football operation matters and appoint an experienced Director of Football who will oversee all sporting work. That person will be advised by a council of United legends from around the world and will be tasked to build a squad independent of the manager's particular style.

Himannv

I think pretty much everyone except Woodard and the Glazers know that what we need is a DoF.

BR7

What do I want @BR7?

I think the club needs a re-set on the football side in the way its run.

For a start there should be someone at United who is in charge of sporting affairs. Call it a Director of Football, Sporting Director, Technical Director, whatever.

This individual should be in charge of the footballing side of the club. This person should know when players have two years left on their contract and, in consultation with the first team coaching staff, at that point be making plans about what happens next. We should not be allowing players to get into the final two years of their contracts without a clear pathway for them e.g. either a new deal or sell them. If the player refuses to sign a new deal, sell and replace. If the player is not good enough do not renew their contract and make them a wage sink.

This individual should also be in charge of cultivating the right relationships in the footballing world. Intermediaries and agents should be treated as external stakeholders, not people to be relied on. Evra said United trust the wrong people. That seems to be the case if Honingstein is right that we were at a poker table playing alone. I imagine the people at the club got duff information and believed it. However, there should be someone at the club with independent contacts and networks that can verify the information. Why is there nobody at Man Utd who knows Michael Zorc, on a personal level, who could say to Ed Wooodward 'Ed, I know this guy. He's a good chat over a drink but he's got a massive ego. If he's acting like this now he won't change his mind in a month's time. Lets tell Ole we can't get the player and go for another target'?

This individual should also be in charge of doing deals with other clubs. Matt Judge's remit is taking care of the club's debt. Obviously, first team costs are part of that. However, they are just a part of the overall whole despite being time consuming. Someone else should be dealing with those issues within the envelope that is set by the club. Judge should only be getting involved if first team affairs are putting such upward financial pressure on the club that they start to threaten its financial position.

The turnover of players must massively accelerate. When Jurgen Klopp took over at Liverpool he had players like Mingolet, Clyne, Sahko, Skrtel, Joe Allen, Lucas etc. Pretty much his whole squad has been recycled out. United by contrast have pruned around the edges. If you don't get rid of the players you cannot change the style. Its no surprise that LVG, Mourinho and Ole have all resorted to a low block with a double pivot in midfield at various times. With the players we have you cannot play any other way. Trying to push up and play on the front foot is a recipe for disaster with the slow, immobile players we have in our squad. Instead of constantly renewing contracts the club should be cutting the fat. Even if that means relying on more youth players and supplementing that where possible with buys. You will not be able to play front foot, high line football if you're relying on Lindelof and Maguire etc.

Which brings me to the least important person: The first team coach. Should Ole stay? Yes in my opinion. Why? Because unless there's a massive turnover of playing staff a new manager will not be able to achieve much with this set of players. Accepting the limitations of this squad, pretty much all you can do to avoid being ripped on the counter is sit deep and break. Therefore it doesn't really matter who the manager is. That is why Pep kicked out Kolarov, Clichy, DeMichelis etc at City. Pep is a fantastic systems coach but the players have to have the capacity to play his system. Any manager worth his salt is going to come in, look at our squad and decide to do more or less what LVG, Mou and Ole have done: 4-2-3-1, 2 defensive midfielders to protect our slow defence and no space in behind. You don't need a genius coach for that. Ole can do it while continuing to carry out renovations to the squad so its more equipped to play a more Man Utd style of football. Once he has that type of quick, front foot squad then you judge him. If he fails then you get rid of him. However, if you have a chocolate teapot it doesn't matter who the waiter is. So why change?
What a great read, thanks for taking the time to write it. Okay, you’ve swayed me a bit towards being a bit less of an ole out fan as you say this squad can’t play much differently and I agree. But, if Ole Ian given the players and the backing do you as the CEO believe he has it in him to change tactics mid game and turn draws in to wins?

Who would you have as DoF/SD?

With the right players you’ve brought in as CEO with your SD, the manager has a good chance to succeed. What formation/system would you want to see Utd play?

BR7

Ole would be away, would be looking at VDS or Ragnick to come in as DOF, then be looking at a forward thinking coach like Erik Ten Hag or Nagelsmann, yes I no they would be gambles but nothing else seems to be working, would clear out the backroom staff as well, would ideally bring in ex united players if possible, would be expecting a clear style of play, pressing quick tempo, players comfortable with the ball and not scared to take a chance to create something, really out the current squad would keep Henderson, VDB, Bruno, Rashford, Greenwood, Martial, and would give the new boys a chance, but really wouldn't be to disappointed if any the rest were sold or let go without renewing contracts, the scouting system would need re worked to a certain style of player we need, not like now it looks like they just pluck anyone out. one thing I would keep and I don't actually no who is in charge of it but we seem to be picking up some of the best young players from across the world at moment so looks exciting that.
Thanks for that, I do like Ten Hag don’t know enough about Ragnick. VDS is a good choice as well in my head. How much would you as CEO be looking to recoup for some of the bigger players you’re letting go, like Pogba? If you don’t get the right value do you do what we’ve been guilty of in the past and let some great players go for cheap or tell your manager I can’t sell him or run his contract out even?

BR7

Ha I don't have all the answers and don't pretend to. But continue with your condescension if that gives you a win in your mind. I do not understand some posters. We root for the same team but since we're on social media we need to bicker.
Honestly I’m really wanting to know who people go for. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and no judgement here honestly just curiosity

BR7

In this exact order:
1. Owners who don't treat United from the business perspective only, but also the footballing perspective.
2. A capable director of Football, who can connect with the club's philosophy and be the link between the manager and the owners.
2. A capable, charismatic, young manager who is tactically astute and progressive coaching style, who will integrate and develop talented young players into the squad, coupled with seasoned veterans. But must bring back the never give up mentality so synonymous with the United I grew up watching.
3. Tangible progress, consistent top 4 challengers initially at least and a trophy in the first 1-2 years.
4. A squad which believes in the manager whole heartedly and can connect with the fans.
Thanks for that any names on DoF and if you as CEO do back the manager with the players he wants, what style of football would you want us to play? Which players would you get shot of immediately?

BR7

I think we need a huge overhaul and restructure to bring back the right culture and mentality throughout the club. I don’t know how to make sure we successfully achieve that though. It’s so hard so build. It’s not just a matter of signing players with the right attitude, although that obviously goes a long way.

I’m still pretty furious it was allowed to be ripped out.
I started supporting united in 83 so don’t quite remember the gap between SMB to SAF but having read a little I think the culture had a bit of dive following SMB same as post SAF would that be right?

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I started supporting united in 83 so don’t quite remember the gap between SMB to SAF but having read a little I think the culture had a bit of dive following SMB same as post SAF would that be right?
I wasn't around then so I coudn't say. Judging from what players have said post SAF though, it was LVG who really killed the atmosphere behind the scenes, but Moyes changing all the staff must have contributed a lot to the change in culture too. While there was sure to be a dip after he left, it feels very sad, and pretty infuriating, to have all that work behind the scenes instantly ripped out.

BR7

I wasn't around then so I coudn't say. Judging from what players have said post SAF though, it was LVG who really killed the atmosphere behind the scenes, but Moyes changing all the staff must have contributed a lot to the change in culture too. While there was sure to be a dip after he left, it feels very sad, and pretty infuriating, to have all that work behind the scenes instantly ripped out.
That’s one of the main things I couldn’t understand about SAF. Moyes!!