What if every player wore a bodycam?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I saw this video just now which reminded me of what a unique perspective the viewer could have

Would you ever be on board with players wearing a bodycam provided that it didn't interfere with the body or play?

Personally I'd like players to have them drilled into their chest like iron-man so we could see their perspective.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
If you just put one on the ref I think we'd see what we need to see, and it'd make players respect the referee more too.

That's the situation in rugby isn't it?

NoneBmStore

The players I don’t care much for having miked, but would absolutely love for all refs, main, sideline and VAR to have all the communication recorded and published. Would be a great opportunity for them to clarify why they do as they do and perhaps the players would also harass the refs less if they know everything they say goes public.

Reactions: VeevaVee

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The players I don’t care much for having miked, but would absolutely love for all refs, main, sideline and VAR to have all the communication recorded and published. Would be a great opportunity for them to clarify why they do as they do and perhaps the players would also harass the refs less if they know everything they say goes public.
On paper that'll look great, but if they really open that to public no referee will ever ref again. I'm not defending the referee but their task is close to impossible to get right as a human being with 2 limited eyes. And if it's so bad that no referee got everything right we will have no one to ref it.

Even fans who has the luxury of multiple angle replay can disagree on certain incident, let alone the ref who needs to watch everything in real time. I doubt they see anything perfectly they'd rely mostly on instinct more often than not.

Uniquim

I'm for putting them on referees, as long as it's mainly used to show the difficulty of their role, and stop them from being abused by players and similar.

But If it was used to hang a ref out to dry whenever they get a call wrong, I'd be against it, because being a referee is a thankless job as it is.

Having a bodycam on all the players seems like a novelty idea for me. I think it would be popular for a few weeks, and people would go back to watching the regular TV cameras. If we were to add something like that, like the F1 has, I'd rather have the option of choosing which of the regular cameras to view. Like the tactical full-pitch cameras could be interesting.

Tapori

I'm for putting them on referees, as long as it's mainly used to show the difficulty of their role, and stop them from being abused by players and similar.

But If it was used to hang a ref out to dry whenever they get a call wrong, I'd be against it, because being a referee is a thankless job as it is.

Having a bodycam on all the players seems like a novelty idea for me. I think it would be popular for a few weeks, and people would go back to watching the regular TV cameras. If we were to add something like that, like the F1 has, I'd rather have the option of choosing which of the regular cameras to view. Like the tactical full-pitch cameras could be interesting.
Imagine being able to have a player cam selection on tv or post match.

"You can see what x player saw in the match."

macheda14

On paper that'll look great, but if they really open that to public no referee will ever ref again. I'm not defending the referee but their task is close to impossible to get right as a human being with 2 limited eyes. And if it's so bad that no referee got everything right we will have no one to ref it.

Even fans who has the luxury of multiple angle replay can disagree on certain incident, let alone the ref who needs to watch everything in real time. I doubt they see anything perfectly they'd rely mostly on instinct more often than not.
I think it would benefit refereeing. Firstly you’d be able to see if the ref had a good view of the incident, then it would encourage every ref to follow a protocol to the letter. There will be mistakes, but if the mistakes come whilst the team are making an honest effort then that will come across. Currently it seems like VAR refs don’t want to overturn the on field ref, or they don’t give certain decisions long enough.

Brophs

The One and Only
I mean, all we'd really see is a load of footballers spitting and screaming "Hey. Hey. HEY. HEEEEEEYYYYY."

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Think this would solve a few problems. The players being dicks, and also the referees might be better, and hopefully less inclined to dictate a game.

It doesn’t need to be shown live. Think that would be impossible due to swearing.

LARulz

I genuinely have not understood why ref's don't wear one. It would really cut down on the abuse and be better for accountability. But I imagine the ref's themselves may be against it too just in case they say something

youmeletsfly

No, especially to the idea of having refs wear body cams. That will force players into being more restrained and make the overall game kinda fake.

It's the same thing as with VAR. Do we really like everything to be fine and dandy on a football field or we also like the odd red card, the odd swearing, pushing, mistakes and so on.

Football is already becoming far too soft in my opinion. Having cameras on players/refs would make it even softer and, it would give TV another reason to sell games at a higher price.

Sylar

No, especially to the idea of having refs wear body cams. That will force players into being more restrained and make the overall game kinda fake.

It's the same thing as with VAR. Do we really like everything to be fine and dandy on a football field or we also like the odd red card, the odd swearing, pushing, mistakes and so on.

Football is already becoming far too soft in my opinion. Having cameras on players/refs would make it even softer and, it would give TV another reason to sell games at a higher price.
So you dont want refs to wear body cams incase it tones down the swearing at them?

Tapori

You can mute the audio

led_scholes

I remember, maybe I am dreaming about it, that back in 2005 (i think) Raul was wearing a bluetooth or something during a friendly and he was receiving instructions by the manager. I think it was in 2005 and i think it was under Luxemburgo. It was not a bodycam, but it reminded me of this experiment. Maybe Real Madrid fans recall it, but I cannot find anything about it.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I saw this video just now which reminded me of what a unique perspective the viewer could have

Would you ever be on board with players wearing a bodycam provided that it didn't interfere with the body or play?

Personally I'd like players to have them drilled into their chest like iron-man so we could see their perspective.
May as well just play FIFA

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
I think it would need to be on a headband so you could see where the player was looking, that would be great.

May have to wait untill they ban heading though.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I think it would need to be on a headband so you could see where the player was looking, that would be great.

May have to wait untill they ban heading though.
It would be really good to see that view, but as you say probably not particularly practical in a football game. The ref cam in rugby is fun, I'd like to see that brought in.

DickDastardly

Hell no!

Do you people want to ruin everything?

It's not enough VAR fecked the game over, now bodycameras?!

If you want to know what it's like to play the beautiful game of football, go play!
And watching football live is a hundred times better then watching it on TV.

Fecking bodycams.....

Falcow

In the next few seasons, when players are replaced by android players, built in cameras will come as standard.

markhughes

I was actually thinking that instead of drawing these silly lines all over the pitching and checking if the players toe was offside we could fit tiny sensors to the players badges that would decide if a player was offside or not.

I haven’t thought it through and I’m sure it would likely have its own issues but some kind of wearable tech for players would be cool.

criticalanalysis

I was actually thinking that instead of drawing these silly lines all over the pitching and checking if the players toe was offside we could fit tiny sensors to the players badges that would decide if a player was offside or not.

I haven’t thought it through and I’m sure it would likely have its own issues but some kind of wearable tech for players would be cool.
The tech/sensor would have to be able to accurately record literally the player's entire body e.g a single sensor on their left toe wouldn't be able to record the same position as their right shoulder. They'll have to wear Tron suits :lol:

I like the idea of a body cam but the only realistic way a player can wear it safely would have to be some Black Mirror embedded in the eye type of thing.

Imagine going for a head wearing a solid plastic box/Go Pro or falling with it on your chest. Ouch.

TRossManUtd8

I dont know about footballers, but body cams should be a must for every police officer working around the world.

Web of Bissaka

Ok kid aside, I think this should be used first in friendly games as trials for players.
I think it'll be interesting to see and learn more about football from the player's perspectives.

On a practical level, it's best for refs to always wear it and maybe publish some of it, considering the daily abuses they got from players. As others have mentioned, will also give us a good look at what refs are seeing and so fans can emphatize when they made wrong decisions. Would also give fans the chances to feel how difficult being refs can be. In the long run, would ideally garner more respects to refs by both the players and football fans.

Seriously, stop the abuses, to be more respectable is classy.

TRossManUtd8

Hell no!

Do you people want to ruin everything?

It's not enough VAR fecked the game over, now bodycameras?!

If you want to know what it's like to play the beautiful game of football, go play!
And watching football live is a hundred times better then watching it on TV.

Fecking bodycams.....
I disagree on watching it live. I personally love watching footy in my man cave on my 75 inch flat screen. Watching it live I seem to miss a lot and cannot see certain things on the pitch well depending on where you are sitting. I also feel there are always a lot of drunk fans at matches and they take away from the experience for me.

You could keep going with this....

The players have sensors all over their body and a camera lense on the bridge of their nose.

Fans at home buy a VR headset and body suit. You pick the play you want to be and experience the game through their eyes and feel every kick they get etc.

Edit: it would be like in 'being john Malkovich' except you wouldn't be able to learn how to control the player!

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Why would players ever want to wear cameras?

If it doesn't improve their actual playing performance there is no benefit to them.

In terms of referees, I would argue the same point. Unless it improves the referees performance in some way why would they wear one?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Remember that advert a few years back with Ronaldo and Rooney?

RashyForPM

It'll never happen imo. The closest we'll get to this is Ben Foster's GoPro in goal series, where he films his day and match highlights and puts them on YouTube. It's unique and very interesting.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
We should also implant a chip behind their head so we'll be able to find out what they are thinking during the match. For science and psychology study.
Maybe with the managers using a controller to 'whisper' a thought to their brains for tactical reasons.

Southgate to Grealish : "one more thoughts about me and you're out!"

Last edited:

Robô

I remember, maybe I am dreaming about it, that back in 2005 (i think) Raul was wearing a bluetooth or something during a friendly and he was receiving instructions by the manager. I think it was in 2005 and i think it was under Luxemburgo. It was not a bodycam, but it reminded me of this experiment. Maybe Real Madrid fans recall it, but I cannot find anything about it.
Yes. It was in a pre-season friendly

https://www.marca.com/en/football/real-madrid/2017/08/01/59806e2c22601d8b328b4656.html

Luxemburgo had already used in a game of the Brazilian league in 2001, but then the federation banned it.

I thought it was an excellent idea and the players didn't complain:

Ricardinho said "I used it once in training and once in the game. I adapted well, it didn't hurt, it didn't fall and it didn't hurt."

RedMist99

I disagree on watching it live. I personally love watching footy in my man cave on my 75 inch flat screen. Watching it live I seem to miss a lot and cannot see certain things on the pitch well depending on where you are sitting. I also feel there are always a lot of drunk fans at matches and they take away from the experience for me.
Outrageous behaviour