What if we were in City's place before today ?

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Hypothetical situation but what if we were top plus in the CL and had to go to their place for this game,would you have been ok with a loss like this playing a weakened lineup ?

CR#7

other than sterling, augero looks a lost soul under pep not sure what else they could of put out there to really " grab the game by the scruff" considering KDB was injuried

Classical Mechanic

I wouldn't have cared too much if we had lost a close game tonight. We will probably end up in the semi finals of this competition with two really tough games to congest our fixture list.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
The league cup is a lesser tournament.

If you win it great. If you don't it doesn't really bother me.

Jose wants a trophy ASAP so I completely see why he will play a strong team.

To be honest I miss the days when youngsters got more of a look in. Even Fergie started using it for squad players around 2008 or 2009. I guess squads are so big these days managers have to use it get fringe players game time.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
To be honest I never ever want to be knocked out of a cup by Liverpool or City no matter our situation.

acrebo

I would've been pleased by the performances from some of the young players but massively concerned by the lack of fight and cutting edge.

Also, 6 games without a win sets a worrying trend similar to a couple years ago where City started strong and faded badly. I'd hardly be complaining at being top of the league but I'd be expecting Pep to come up with some answers pretty sharpish.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I think the fact that United were in such bad shape after the weekend should have made Pep change his selection, this was an opportunity to rub it in and kill us while getting a first win in 6 for themselves. I would be fuming if we had done that

Boycott

You should always try to win derbies even in a lowly prioritised competition.

If it were against less important rivals then you can experiment since the consequence of defeat isn't too downbeat. I wouldn't have been too bothered if we were knocked out of this cup by Chelsea for instance.

AXVnee7

No. Any game against Liverpool or City should be treated like a cup final in my book.

m1y2

Saf would definitely play the strongest line-up he could
And I would totally agree with him, we should be aiming to win all derbies, to raise our confidence and knock theirs down..

donkeyfish

I think so. They haven't gotten much rest lately, playing with 10 men as well for a while 7 days ago.

I wouldn't like it, but accept it. Tough schedules call for that type of choices. They have another game against Barca in a week too.

I would be concerned about the depth of my squad though. I feel we have better "second rate" options

Djemba-Djemba

I'd have been annoyed to be honest.

It felt like when Arsenal reached the final in 2007 and played all the kids whilst Mourinho played his strongest Chelsea 11 and won. Arsene got a lot of praise for sticking to his values and playing the kids but at the end of the day Jose was the one with the cup.

Pep may not be arsed about the league cup but I think the context of this game meant he should have played a stronger team.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I remember SAF doing that all the time, am I imagining it?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
feck no.

Never waive off a game against them, and going six games without a win is never acceptable.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Other than the GK, not sure how much of a second string this was. Guardiola is scrambling around at the moment and has already dropped most of his team looking to get things clicking again. Sterling, Silva and Fernandinho could have well been next out. There's little consistency with team selection and formation right now.

It was a bit of a smokescreen and a freeroll: lose and praise the kids (as if it is unusual to have a couple of 18-21-year olds in your team), win via performing well and he has more options.

City have not won in six - and have, more importantly, only deserved to win one of them - and it's a little odd that this is attracting little attention.

Edit: typo

Last edited:
Reactions: Penna

SirScholes

I'd be gutted with the team selection, it's a chance to bury your rival, not sure our team could of taken a defeat.
I'd also be gutted that we were shut out by a defence that had rojo at the centre of it.
I'd be happy with top spot and in cl but concerned that its likely they'll lose against barca and potentially a tricky game to remain in the cl and without de bruyne they out very ordinary

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Wouldn't have been that bothered probably. Like of course you want to win, but City have the Champions league, league and then when the FA Cup comes, that, to worry about. And in at least the league and FA cup, they are serious contenders with an outside chance in the champions league.
It just meant a lot more for us after getting smashed by Chelsea, plus overall struggling in the league, while not really exciting too much in the Europa league which like the EFL cup is a lesser cup, but still a cup that we should go to win as like a thing to kick of Mourinho's reign here, but also because it's a chance to get into the Champions league as top 4 will be a big challenge this season.

Plus they beat us in the league where most will accept it matters more... So yeah. This win doesn't make up for losing that one just like for them, they still probably have bragging rights because the league is where everyone really wants to do well.

RedStarUnited

They cant afford to not win the next game, Pep had to make that decision. And they have Barcelona the game after. So really if they were going to not win any game, today would have been the game not to win.

Decomposing In Paris

I think Pep played it safe tonight.

Play the kids & go out = lesser competition, not a priority
Play the kids & win = tactical genius

Their first team plays & win = 2/2 over Jose
Their first team plays & loses = Crisis...!!!

Think he possibly chickened out tbh.

RedStarUnited

I think Pep played it safe tonight.

Play the kids & go out = lesser competition, not a priority
Play the kids & win = tactical genius

Their first team plays & win = 2/2 over Jose
Their first team plays & loses = Crisis...!!!

Think he possibly chickened out tbh.
He did exactly that.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I don't feel it's ever okay to lose to City.

ManUchosenbosslvg

Supports
Manchester reds
It's never a minor thing losing to your biggest rival even in the Milk Cup or whatever.

However the competition obviously isn't a priority to many of the clubs, even Newcastle and Preston picked reserve sides. Now I can see why José is taking it so seriously as any trophy is a return of work, and even if our league campaign continues to disappoint, he has a trophy to show for the transfer outlay aswell as the confidence which he badly needs.

Green_Red

Its crazy the coverage we would get if we didnt win 6 in a row... Pep and City will not get anywhere near the type of grilling a United manager and team would get if we didnt win in 3 games.

I said litterally 6 games ago this City team didnt have the personell to implement Peps football and was pretty much told by a City fan on here that I hadnt a clue.

Robertd0803

Nope. Never acceptable to lose to your rivals. We are under enough pressure as it is without losing last night.

Bwuk

I think Pep was wrong to put out a weak team. That's 6 without a win, with West Brom and Barca coming up. Granted, they'll probably beat West Brom, but if they don't it'll end up 8 without a win as Barca will slap them again.

Lentwood

However they dress it up, Pep made a massive mistake yesterday

Their full strength team would have likely got a result which would have raised further doubts about the quality of our squad and Jose

As it is, we win the game against a weakened side and now we gain confidence whilst Pep and his record run without winning get all the headlines

They could and should of kicked us while we were down but instead we got a much needed morale boost going into a run of winnable fixtures

prath92

I think SAF would have done this. Wasn't it in his last season where after our 3-2 win with Chelsea we lost 5-4 to them, playing Scott wootton and all?