What is a 10/10 performance?

dichinero

Picking up from the Wayne Rooney threads especially, I am interested in knowing what most people consider to be a 10/10 performance.

I've seen many people/ outlets regard Wayne Rooney's performance against Russia or Wales to be an 8/10. That is fair if we are not considering the highest level of performances that top players currently put in regularly.

Personally, I would usually use the best performances of the top players as a gauge to compare players of a similar experience range. For example. If Modric has put in the best individual midfield performance within the last 2 seasons, that serves as a basis for other midfielders plying their trade in the top leagues with the similar experience levels. I will use Modric to judge Rooney as a midfielder but would hardly be fair to use it on Will Hughes in the Championship even though he has enough experience to be considered a regular player, neither will I use a 10/10 Di Maria performance to judge Lingard, given his relative inexperience despite his age but rather use a 10/10 Dembele performance to judge him.

I just want to know how people view performances because ratings like awesome, great, magnificent etc does not make sense when other players at the top of their game put on performances like this often on a slow day.

Thoughts?

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Ronaldo in the CL semi-final against Arsenal was a 10/10 display of attacking/counter-attacking football.

NinjaFletch

I don't think theres such a thing as an objective 10/10 performance and, if there are, they've occurred so few times that you can count them on one hand.

Player ratings in individual games are inherently relative, Rooney might have given an 8/10 performance yesterday, but the same performance in a better team performance would make his own contribution appear less impressive and see him rated accordingly.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I think it's best to judge it within the context of the game itself and without necessarily comparing players to the word's best in their position. So in a given game someone like, say, Lee Cattermole could put in a 10/10 performance without it ever approaching Modric levels of excellence. It was just 10/10 relative to the situation and individuals involved.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Ji Sung Park in the first half of that League game at Old Trafford in 2011 vs. Chelsea was 10/10

krombacher92

Iniesta in the CL final against United in 2009 or 2011, can't remember which one.

pacifictheme

I think it's best to judge it within the context of the game itself and without necessarily comparing players to the word's best in their position. So in a given game someone like, say, Lee Cattermole could put in a 10/10 performance without it ever approaching Modric levels of excellence. It was just 10/10 relative to the situation and individuals involved.
Agree with this. If you have a basis and measure everything against it league 2 players woulf never get above 3/10.

dichinero

I don't think theres such a thing as an objective 10/10 performance and, if there are, they've occurred so few times that you can count them on one hand.

Player ratings in individual games are inherently relative, Rooney might have given an 8/10 performance yesterday, but the same performance in a better team performance would make his own contribution appear less impressive and see him rated accordingly.
So a player may put in a 8/10 performance but not regarded as a world class performance?
You have a fair point, but at what stage does one consider a player to be a world class player or a poor one if there really isn't any basis for comparison?

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
Bonucci's performance was good. I expect him to give such a performance in this Euro.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
What I was going to say. Anyone can have a perfect game.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Keane vs Juventus
Giggs vs Juventus

ferguson2

Lewandowski against Wolfsburg

Lewandowski against Real Madrid

Can't think of any better individual performances in recent time

Deleted member 101472

This is a great thread .

Some 10/10s I can think of by position

GK - schmeichel v Newcastle 96?
Def- cannavaro v Germany 06
Mid - Iniesta v Sevilla this year in the final
For: lewandowski v Wolfsburg

vk20legend

For me :

GK: In a close game of team leading 1-0, makes crucial saves to maintain the lead. Snuffs out danger early and a good commanding display where without GK, we might have drawn or lost.

CB: Again in a close 1-0 game or vs a superior team keeps the striker/s from shooting , intercepting the ball early, make a last ditch tackle on a sure goal. If the said CB scores the goal in the said game along with that even better.

FB: Keeps the wingers from crossing. Helps the winger on attack and keeps the opposition winger held back from going forward. Provided all this is done vs a world class winger.

DM: Acts as a screen for dangerous through balls, keeping the CM or CAM from creating, perfect tackles and distribution which leads to counter attack..

CM: High pressure on opposition CMs, Doesn't lose possession, keeps the ball under pressure to make key passes along with tackles without fouls.

Wingers: Creates chances for the cam or forward, pulls the CB from his position, beats the fullback all the time, keeps the fullback from joining the attack. Right decision making on when to shoot and when to pass or cross.

CAM: Creates chances for the forward, pulls the CB out of position, making space and late runs into the box, perfect decision making to make it easy for scoring.

FW: Scores with almost all opportunities, ability to get away from the defender to be unmarked to put away the chances, creating a chance for the CM/CAM or wingers to go and score, converting half chances in tough games. When defending a low score contribution in defense by pressing high.

That would be my definition of a 10 on 10 performance..

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Immediately spring to mind

Unfortunately I can't find a video of Fernando Redondo's game for Madrid against United in 2000. Not many midfielders bossed Keano. Redondo ran Old Trafford like it was a Madrid home match...

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
If Rooney played 8/10 against Wales then you see 10/10 every matchday....

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Shay Given every time we played Newcastle!

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
The best individual performance I have seen was Messi vs Man City last season in the CL.

He made his own team mates look average and made the whole city team look like a championship team.

Even though he didn't score it was the highest level of a player I have ever seen.

Nick7

Park Ji Sung marking Pirlo out of the game in 2010. Roy Keane against Juventus in 99. Two 10/10 games.

jojose

Keano in Turin. Quite simply the greatest individual performance I have ever seen.

prath92

Not a 10/10 for all maybe but Giggs vs coentrao in the CL (SAF last season) was amazing. Giggs ripped him apart and especially considering Giggs was 40 then and coentrao is at least 10 years younger, it was too good.

Sereko

If player’s performance exceeds expectations it is 10/10. I think I gave Rashford 10/10 last season. For similar performance maybe I’ll give Messi 8/10 but then the expectations are very different. It is inadequate for me to compare players with the best in business. If that was the case there is no need to have numbers. You can substitute 10 with the respective player’s names (which we all know that currently are only two). The same goes for 9 as well. Then everyone else will never reach above 8. So the system will become useless. Oh, and no one will ever get grade A in physics compared to Einstein.

Spock

I would add Schweinsteiger v Argentina in 2014 World Cup Final as one of the greatest individual performances in the history of the game. No, no hat trick, not even a measly goal, but he played to perfection in a massive match.

So for me, the first criterion has to be that the match is significant. A league game against Stoke gets you a 9 at most, if you score 5 goals. A league game against a top four club is bare minimum. The second criterion is that the opposition has to rise to the occasion, so that even if the opponent is, say, City, if you blow them out 5-0 then whatever it is that the one player does gets only a 9. (I understand the objection to this criterion.) The last criterion is the obvious one -- that your play in that has to be astonishing and was the difference between victory and defeat.

Keane v Juve meets all these criteria, Messi on countless occasions meet these criteria and Schweinsteiger v Argentina meet these criteria.