What is the biggest club to never get promoted/be in the premier league?

Despite being a (semi) Gashead - Bristol City has to be up there. Bristol is one of the biggest cities in England, and for them not to have ever had a team in the PL is shocking really.

Cornish

Plymouth is the largest city to have never had a team in the top division

Moriarty

Despite being a (semi) Gashead - Bristol City has to be up there. Bristol is one of the biggest cities in England, and for them not to have ever had a team in the PL is shocking really.
I can't remember either City or Rovers playing in the old 1st Division, but I stand to be corrected. I know City did the league double over us in the old 2nd Division back in the day. I missed the away game against City but went to the match against Rovers which, if memory serves, ended 1-1.

Jules_T

I can't remember either City or Rovers playing in the old 1st Division, but I stand to be corrected. I know City did the league double over us in the old 2nd Division back in the day. I missed the away game against City but went to the match against Rovers which, if memory serves, ended 1-1.
Bristol City were in Div 1 from 76-80

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Bristol City not having been up since the early 80's is an odd one. Bristol is a pretty big/wealthy city and they have one of the owners of Hargreaves Lansdown own them.

As for historical clubs, Preston and Notts County are shouts. Plymouth are another on size.