What is the point of these daft run ups when taking penalties.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Anyone else just get an annoying privacy disclaimer pop up for this and even when you accept it refuses to play?
Do you have tracking disabled? I had the same problem with firefox once.

SinNombre

Kane — 44 out of 52 (84,6%)
Bruno — 41 out of 44 (93%)
Lewa — 62 out of 68 (91%)
Jorginho — 29 out of 33 (87%)
Why would you bring stats to a discussion where some people have read the media and decided it is “daft” (good stuff!)

Rashford’s penalty was actually quite good.

His main mistake was going for placement when he just didn’t need to after he had got Donnarumma to commit to the other side.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
His record is way better than I expected too -- 21/24 (and 2 were missed in the same game, an AFCON 6-0 win :lol:)
He missed the first first one he took for us, which was a tame effort. The he came back having clearly trained his spot kick technique and has been unfailing assured in the 9 he's taken since.

Withnail

I actually think Rashfords attempt was pretty good. Forces the keeper to choose side first, sends it the other direction. He doesn't need power in his shot when he's played the keeper. Gets a bit unlucky hitting the post.
Well exactly. The run up wasn't why he missed. The run up worked and Donnarumma was gone so he didn't even have to put it so far into the corner. He just missed with the shot. It happens.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
I'm assuming you'd need to have a really hard and accurate standing kick to do it consistently or a good keeper will out reaction-time you.

Also, is it just me, or are more keepers moving over and showing one side of the goal more often during penalties?

RedDevil@84

Rashford hitting the post has nothing to do with the runup. The runup did its job of putting off the keeper.
Not everyone can be rvn

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Not against a good keeper.
Not really. Even a good keeper can't save a decent penalty if he doesn't move first. There are multiple scientific studies on the matter — the ball simply flies faster than the keeper if they start at the same time. They pretty much always guess — the key is to guess at the last possible moment so that you don't give a penalty-taker the opportunity to change the direction and simply roll the ball into another corner.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Some real stats and experiments. Obviously the ESPN's video is very much simplified but this is supported by more thoroughly researched articles:

Also here's a matrix from International Journal of Performance Analysis in Sport (it's pretty self-explanatory).

Keepers have to move before the goal is kicked, otherwise their only chance is a serious feck up by an attacker (who either completely misses or scruffs a penalty so that the ball flies very, very slowly into a convenient area). This is why those run ups are incredibly effective — more so than any other way to take a penalty. If you're doing it correctly, obviously, and know what you're doing — unlike someone like Zaza who did it only for the memes, apparently.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
It’s effective as a technique. Rashford messed it up last night.

Sparky Rhiwabon

There’s a difference between a skip (Bruno, Jorginho) or hesitation like Hazard does and those daft runups like Pogba, Rashford and Neymar do. The first are very succesful penalty takers so no reason to question the method. Second, not sure what the benefit is.
A few players are just good at the quirky run up, and have practised it consistently to be able to execute it well, most times - Bruno, Jorginho for example. The others are probably trying to emulate these sort of players but not consistently good enough to do it - Pogba, Rashford etc. Most players should just do the traditional Kane / Shearer type penalty - run up and hit it firmly into the corner, no messing.