What it’s like to play for Ralf Rangnick: The eight-second rule, cognitive training and huge focus on nutrition

The United

The biggest test will be to get the players to implement the philosophy, it all sounds fantastic and we know it works as you only have to look at other teams who are doing it but I don’t think 6 months is enough time. Ralf himself talked about the time it took Klopp to implement it at Liverpool, also Ralf talked about how he could advice the board to keep him on…
That's all it is. All of us here could talk about all of those as well.

Executing the plan and being successful with it is the hardest thing.

Kellyiom

To be fair, quick attacking transitions has been our only strength under Ole hasn't it? Our whole game-plan for 2 years seemed to be win the ball back, give it to Bruno as quickly as possible and have him attempt a killer ball. That's not to say we're particularly good at executing that plan, but it's about one of the only things that has brought us some level success given we're dreadful in most other areas of the game.

Of all the things this team does wrong, being too safe with the ball when we have an attacking transition is the last thing I'd have on the list. If anything it felt like we generally rush things too much when the killer ball isn't really on.

I'm excited what level we can take our attacking game to under a proper coach. People have been saying our attack is our strength for the last 2 years but the our goals scored and xG figures show we're absolutely nowhere near the elite teams in terms of attacking play.
I agree with you to a large extent. At times, it's seemed like Rashford, Zlatan and more recently Bruno have acted as the team's 'lightning conductor' and been the focus of too much passing.

To me, anyway, the team's looked for those players as they were uncomfortable in possession and just wanted to get rid of it almost.

Training in that style should balance out the team's gaps and improve confidence and alleviate burnout that I'm sure Bruno was suffering from. Likewise DDG, he had a patch below his usual high standard and I'm sure it was because he had simply been overworked.

Crashoutcassius

Our younger players will not have experienced anything like this. Going to be very interesting to see who takes to it.

There was a moment against Arsenal in the first half where we won the ball high up. I think it was McTominay on the ball. Neither team with much shape. And our players just stood still... The ball was recycled back to the defence and we started a slow build, leading to nothing.

That's the kind of shit that needs to be drummed out of them immediately. The lack of intensity in key moments. Such an under-coached and complacent squad.
our counter attack under ole was incredible at times. im excited for ralf too but if we expect our counter attack to be 50x better we are setting ourselves up for real disappointment, we will win the ball back more clearly, but when we won the ball under ole we were great at breaking at times

Suedesi

I'll be honest, I've sort of hit the peak of a diminishing returns curve now and I'm starting to get a bit concerned in the face of all the incredibly good press! This article has tipped me over the highest point, I think. :nervous:

It's probably conditioning over the last 8 years, but when the media and most people sound so overwhelmingly positive and expectations get raised astronomically (see Ole's caretaker reign or LVG's pre-season), you sort of start expecting the other shoe to drop in the form of some gut wrenching anti-climax!

I've taken to stalking @Hansi Fick to temper my own expectations. :lol:
Ha - Michael Cox wrote an article titled Six Reasons why it's difficult to predict how RR will do at United

1) He has actually only managed for 2 of the last 10 years
2) He has never ever managed a club like United before
3) He has been tasked with overhauling the team's identity (which usually correlates with a long term project not a 6m interim job)
4) RR is an interim manager who will advise on his successor (unusual)
5) Stepping away from coaching into consultancy could be frayed (see Leipzig)
6) It's unclear what the consultancy role will entail exactly (undefined)

Anyways, I personally think he will do well, but it's worth considering the opposite view