What players would Mourinho target?

NoPace

This reminds me that our squad does fit Mourinho pretty well. If Guardiola had taken over, I think De Gea, Shaw, Martial, Memphis, Blind, Herrera and probably Schneiderlin as a CB would fit well, but that's it. Whereas for Mourinho, I think Smalling for sure and probably Darmian also fits.

We'll play 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1.

Up front it's Martial, a new signing at RW and either Memphis or Rooney as the 3rd attacker (depending on where he likes Martial).

Midfield is Schneiderlin, Herrera and a signed CM, probably someone with a bit of offensive game, mobility and youth since Blind and Schweinsteiger can do Mikel sort of things deeper.

Smalling, Shaw and Darmian start and we buy a veteran CB to play next to Smalling.

De Gea sticks around or there's keeper roulette with Navas going to a fine team and us getting their keeper.

So, we sign a RW, a box to box CM and a CB + one random Mendes client.

Fer

Also it would be interesting to know which formation Mourinho would play and the main position of players like Blind, Rojo, Herrera, Mata, Rooney, Martial.

Where do you think they would play under Mourinho?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Also it would be interesting to know which formation Mourinho would play and the main position of players like Blind, Rojo, Herrera, Mata, Rooney, Martial.

Where do you think they would play under Mourinho?
I wouldn't be surprised if none of them bar Martial remained at this club if he was to become manager (although I hope he'd like Blind and transform Herrera).

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I think as long as we keep De Gea then he'd only want a centre back, a defensive centre mid, a winger and a striker. I think we'd also see a lot more from players marginalised under Van Gaal, such as Herrera.

prarek

Will Mata be the first player to be sold twice by the same manager? :lol:

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Will Mata be the first player to be sold twice by the same manager? :lol:
Well Fergie sold Gordon Strachan at both Aberdeen and United, so there would certainly be an element of history repeating itself :p

Wonder if Mata would move back to Chelsea if that happened? Would be interesting to see what sort of fee we'd get from them if he did.

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
Well Fergie sold Gordon Strachan at both Aberdeen and United, so there would certainly be an element of history repeating itself :p

Wonder if Mata would move back to Chelsea if that happened? Would be interesting to see what sort of fee we'd get from them if he did.
Knowing us, £22m.

Impulse

I wouldn't be surprised if none of them bar Martial remained at this club if he was to become manager (although I hope he'd like Blind and transform Herrera).
I doubt our next manager, whomever he is, would be allowed to just gut the squad that we've spent a small fortune building. We'll probably sell a few but I can't see us selling too many since we need top class(likely expensive) players to come in and can't afford to bring another handful of squad players on top of that. The vast majority of those listed are capable back-ups.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I doubt our next manager, whomever he is, would be allowed to just gut the squad that we've spent a small fortune building. We'll probably sell a few but I can't see us selling too many since we need top class(likely expensive) players to come in and can't afford to bring another handful of squad players on top of that. The vast majority of those listed are capable back-ups.
Agreed. FWIW I'd keep Blind, Rojo and Herrera.

He isn't averse to clear outs though.. if you look at his transfer windows for Chelsea - insane amount of players coming and going.

Impulse

Agreed. FWIW I'd keep Blind, Rojo and Herrera.

He isn't averse to clear outs though.. if you look at his transfer windows for Chelsea - insane amount of players coming and going.
Aye but we've already had a mass clear out under LVG so I can't see us doing too much. 3-4 out tops imo.

I'd probably keep Martial as well as those three. :D

ManUchosenbosslvg

Supports
Manchester reds
Why is he so keen on Mendes' clients?

I know he's a powerful man in football but surely it's about the right player, not whatever player Mended has available. Giving Mendes an office at Real Madrid's training ground...now I always thought that was ridiculous.

Spielmacher

Why is he so keen on Mendes' clients?
Well, he's a client of Mendes himself, so he'd probably get a good deal on the player, of course he won't buy a shit player, but if it's between two or if a player is seeking a transfer he might prefer a Mendes client as it's swift business.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
De Gea sticks around or there's keeper roulette with Navas going to a fine team and us getting their keeper.
Would Navas want to come here, though?
By all accounts, he is having an outstanding season at Madrid and he may decide that he wants to remain at Madrid, even if he warms the bench.

Fer