What truly worries me about Manchester United

tomaldinho1

We need a director of football, so that the vice chairman does his commercial role and stays away from implementing football decisions that end up costing us in the long run.

I keep seeing posts saying that a DOF wouldn't help our transfer strategy :houllier:, maybe those same people should research the typical role they occupy.
All they have to do is look at what Tixi's doing a stone's throw away

Member 115509

What really does concern me is that United will become what Liverpool have been since they last won the Title - it is a very long time the more you think about it, only a couple of years after SAF took over at United - drifting along at times, winning a few trophies and threatening to put a team together that will challenge consistently but always falling short and never actually managing to get their shit together properly.
Good players come and go with managers and despite being there or thereabouts, at least in terms of the PL, they are just basically seen as a top 6 or 4 team that will be involved in the Title race but never winning it, can do well in Europe from time to time and win domestic cups here and there.
Obviously, goes without saying, I hope Liverpool don't actually break their recent hoodoo this year and win the League and their barren run continues for many years to come.

robinvpersie

My biggest concern is that our fans (especially on here) have forgotten our identity completely.

This became apparent to me the second we gave Phil Jones a new contract, and this place erupted.

Everyone seems to look back at the Ferguson era and only remember certain aspects of it. If fergie was the boss now, Jones would of still got a new contract. The reason I say this is because he is exactly the type of player Manchester United have relied on during the Ferguson era. Every squad sir Alex build had the same basic principles.

• English players who knew it was a privilege to play for the club

• high number of home grown players who came through the ranks

• and a few players brought in that are exceptional quality to make up the gaps.

This has gone out the window in recent years, most of our fans want us to sign a dream 11 and become the new real Madrid.

History has proven that of you can build a squad of good footballers with the right attitude and add a bit of quality on top of that then you can be very successful.

This is why Ole has to be out new manager, he will get the best from what he has, and instead of blowing an entire transfer budget on 5 players every year, he will add one or two every season depending on what he needs, while getting the best out of what we already have..

Just like a certain glaswegian did for years.......

Reactions: Penna

Suedesi

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast...sodeGuid=9fbf04aa-c3bb-4906-94df-2d7c499fe356

Rory Smith and Gab Marcotti make some interesting points about United, Solkjaear, and the search for a DOF. Starts at 6:40

Highlights for those concerned:
  • "The Board" is a misnomer. There is no board in the corporate sense. "The board" is Ed Woodward, Richard Arnold and a couple of Glazers occasionally weighing in.
  • Solskjaer's success should get him the job, but maybe has convinced United's hierarchy that there was nothing wrong with the club structure all along.
  • United met with a headhunting firm twice before Christmas - Nolan Partners https://nolanpartners.com/ no relation to Kevin Nolan :lol:
  • The impression was that United didn't quite know what the DOF figure should be and United gave the impression they didn't really know what they were looking for
  • Ed Woodward earlier this season told someone that it could be years before that appointment could be made

In their view, the sporting director should oversee the recruitment side (identifying the players) and delivering the players (negotiating and bringing in the players, at the right price, paying the right agent commission and also selling well). Absent a DOF, United faces for the 4th time since Fergie left a situation where Woodward asks the manager "who do you want"? Implication being, once that manager is gone, the process of "who do you want" starts again with the new manager. There's no cohesion and United are the only major club in the world (except Real Madrid who've been an anomaly) with no one doing that job (aka overseeing the recruitment, the academy, the delivering of transfer targets and selling well).