What will the English press coverage of the loss be like?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I reckon it's be "our brave boys fall at the last hurdle again" or a similar sentiment.

I don't think they'll be blaming players or even the manager.

Am I giving them too much credit?

WPMUFC

I reckon it's be "our brave boys fall at the last hurdle again" or a similar sentiment.

Yes you are, it will all be about rashford or the team focusing on "politics and not penalties".

They have to keep the culture war alive. It's all they have.

cyberman

I think you can lose a final. Being outplayed in the final 16 and going out on pens every other tournament kind of deserves it

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
“Did Megan Markle jinx England?”

In the current climate, it'll be completely positive 'Southgate's brave heroes' stuff.

Funny thing is half the journalists writing these stories were active in the Beckham effigy, Ronaldo the winker pantomime villain days.

It's just what sells right now.

Zoo

Epic journey, gone down in folklore. More tragic failure etc. Something Capello said prematch resonates a lot - these are all simply excuses.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
It should be:

"Prematurely Knighted Southgate's Negativity Costs Talented English Side"

Attackers Grealish, Sancho and Rashford left to wait until extra time even though a tired Italian side has 34 and 36 year old centre backs

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Probably seeing who Rashford and Sancho have purchased houses for in last years or some other weird s***.

Edit: That's the moronic editors. I actually think there's a decent level of respect now between team and sports writes with all the bridges that have been built in last few years so think they'll be constructive criticism but no more than that.

Trequarista10

The non footballing media will be England did well, final hurdle, penalties again...

The actual sports media will be a mix of the above and actual criticism and analysis.

Still, overall, our best performance for 55 years, with a young team. Can't be too critical.

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton

You're right with what it will be. They should be blaming the manager, though.

Amarsdd

Think it will be all-out support for Southgate. Everyone else is anyone's guess.

JakeTheRed

Think they’ll be hailed as heroes a bit & people will move on quickly.

A lot of people like Southgate, he’s kinda hard to hate really. Questionable in-game manager, mind.

Dante

Average bang

You were right.

RooneyLegend

You were right.
Heh, England arent winning anything for the foreseeable future. :lol:

Dante

Average bang
Heh, England arent winning anything for the foreseeable future. :lol:
England fans know our place in the world hierarchy. We are, on average, a quarter-final level team. Anything more than that is a great result (depending on the quality of the generation).

It's only really the anti-England mob who overrate the team and think that an appropriate expectation should be winning titles.

Check out the reactions on social media, the press and from the English public. They're almost universally happy and proud for what's been achieved.

This was only the second ever final in the nation's history. That's the context in which this is being judged in real life.

Last edited:

RooneyLegend

England fans know our place in the world hierarchy. We are, on average, a quarter-final level team. Anything more than that is a great result (depending on the quality of the generation).

It's only really the anti-England mob who overrate the team and think that an appropriate expectation should be winning titles.

Check out the reactions on social media, the press and from the English public. They're almost universally happy and proud for what's been achieved.

This was only the second ever final in the nation's history. That's the context in which this is being judged in real life.
:lol: exactly where you guys will remain with that mentality. It's all about generations in this sport, your expectations should be higher given the quality of players. Italy have a weaker squad than England and won the tournament despite having to go through a tough draw. This is the sort of thinking that leads to a wasted generation.

hobbers

On average means nothing. Liverpool finishing 5th on average in the Prem era didn't stop them winning the league and 2 CLs.

Right now all of England's forward players would start for Italy. All of them in the squad that is. Chiesa is the only one who would keep his place. Italy have a much better spine sure but England's strength in depth is peerless really, Chiellini wasn't wrong.

That and the immense luck in the draw and all but one match at home this really was England favourites to win.

Wolf1992

Supports
No team in particular.
:lol: exactly where you guys will remain with that mentality. It's all about generations in this sport, your expectations should be higher given the quality of players. Italy have a weaker squad than England and won the tournament despite having to go through a tough draw. This is the sort of thinking that leads to a wasted generation.
Tbf fair i would pick Donnarumma,Chiellieni,Bonnucci,Chiesa,Barella, Verratti, and Jorginho over what England has in the same position.

However i do believe England had a better bench than Italy.