What would be your Worst Man Utd XI of the last 20 years?

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Stemming from a conversation I was having at lunch at work today, what according to you is the worst Man Utd XI of the last 20 years? But the criteria is you only have to take into consideration their performances for Utd, and not their price tag or salary? And they must also have made at least 20 appearances for the club.

For me it would be something like:
Foster
Darmian
Bailly
McNair
Rojo
Schneiderlin
Schweinsteiger
Djemba-Djemba
Obertan
Falcao
Sanchez

What would be yours?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Schweinsteiger had a few decent games for us to be fair. i'd stick Kleberson in before him.

Veron would probably fit in too, given how much he cost at the time.

I'd have Buttner over Rojo (he had a few decent spells for us at CB).

pacifictheme

Schweinsteiger had a few decent games for us to be fair. i'd stick Kleberson in before him.

Nah veron actually played very well on occasion, usually in the champions league. He was far far better than sweinstweiger for us, regardless of cost.

King7Eric

Taibi was worse than Foster or has it been more than 20 years?
Think he played in 2000, didn't he?

Fair shout. I totally forgot about him. :lol:

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Lindegaard

Buttner- Mcnair- Darmian- Williams

Schneiderlin- Bastian- Mctom/Gibson

James- Bellion- Obertan

Kazi

Still can’t believe we beat Arsenal playing a back three of McNair, Smalling and Blackett

OmarUnited4ever

Lindegard

Darmian Mcnair Blackett Buttner

Bebe Djemba-Djemba Schniderlin Obertan

Diouf Bellion​

PeteManic

Mine's would be more around disappointing players and obviously bad signings rather than bad players:

Bosnich
Varela
Phil Jones
Maguire
Rojo
Fellaini
Schneiderlin
Zaha
De Maria
Falcao
Sanchez

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Sanchez - Pereira
Chadwick - Fellaini* - Djemba-Djemba - Obertan
Büttner - Rojo - McNair - Darmian
Foster

Subs: Falcao, L. Miller (R.I.P.), Schneiderlin, Bellion
Manager: D. Moyes

* yeah, he's not the worst, but I hated the very image of him in United shirt. He didn't deserve it as he really gave his all but he's pretty much the opposite of what I'm looking in football player aside from the workrate.

If we're talking about worst spells from different players, it's a bit more interesting. Current Maguire certainly fits in. Probably De Gea 2018-2020. Jones' record of simply missing 2 years is probably unmatched by anyone (although Hargreaves came close). Evra of the first few months (although should adaptation count?).​

Giggsy13

Thread immediately brings me back to the LvG sides
It’s insane how much money was wasted during that period. The club was incompetent on so many levels. Only now does it seem like we’re finally learning our lesson.

OmarUnited4ever

I'm sure guys like Diouf and Bebe didn't have 20 appearances for the club though.
didn't see the 20 apps bit.

then how about Falcao for Diouf, and maybe Mikhtiryan for Bebe

quality players but sadly they were terrible at United

peridigm

Pfft. Who needs to go back 20 years.

Valdez
Darmian Jones McNair Buttner
SchneiderSchweinGibo
ADM Falcao Sanchez

TheReligion

Abusive

Veron? Based on performance no chance.

King7Eric

Thread immediately brings me back to the LvG sides
Had the same thought as I was making my team. I think 5 of mine are LVG signings, plus McNair. That's all in a two-year period.

Uniquim

--------------------Bellion----------------------
---Bébé------------------------------Eagles--
------Kléberson----------Miller-------------
-----------------Djemba duo------------------
-Büttner--Rojo--McNair---De Laet--
------------------Carroll-------------------------

Subs: Simpson, Blackett, Eckersley, Gibson, Miller, Possebon, Tosic, Manucho, Diouf

I didn't check if all of these have more than 20 appearances, but I think most of them do.

King7Eric

Pfft. Who needs to go back 20 years.

Valdez
Darmian Jones McNair Buttner
SchneiderSchweinGibo
ADM Falcao Sanchez
I think his injuries have really clouded the fact that he was a decent player when fit. No way is he worse than Rojo or Bailly.

Jezpeza

Whens Fred going in there? 54 million quid for a midfielder who cant play a 10 yard ground pass

Carroll

Darmian
McNair
Rojo
Buttner

Obertan
Schneiderlin
Pereira
Richardson

Falcao
Sanchez

Couldn't really think of a CB to stick next to McNair so I went with Rojo just because I never liked him - a little harsh because he was actually quite good in 16/17 (but only because he somehow avoided 3 clear-cut red cards)

KeanoMagicHat

Maybe a more controversial one, worst team with more than 100 league appearances

Van der Sar (have to pick one of the 3 greats)
Phil Neville Lindelof Jones Silvestre
Fellaini Anderson McTominay
Young Berbatov Lingard

Worst player to play for the club - Between Bebe and Tyler Blackett
Worst player relative to expectations - Sanchez by far

King7Eric

Bebe has to be there right?
Less than 20 appearances. I feel there needs to be a minimum appearance criterion, otherwise, guys like Richard Eckersley or Manucho would all get mentions.

harms

Staff
If you actually assess his performances & not the story of his transfer, no way he is making this team. 3 goals & 10 assists in 20 starts (1645 minutes, which is less than 18 full games), Manchester United's Player of the Month in September etc. Obviously he had completely downed his tools in the second half of the season, he's very unlikeable, he never wanted to be here in the first place etc., but that shouldn't get in the way of evaluating performances.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Bosnich
darmien -- Jones -- Mcnair -- buttner
periera -- schniederlin -- gibson -- cleverly
Falcao -- Sanchez

Tom Van Persie

No relation
People are being harsh on Rojo putting him at centreback. Leftback sure, he was terrible there. But he was actually quite good when played in the centre before he did his cruciate, including being our best defender in 16/17.
He was really good in our EL run.

harms

Staff
Maybe a more controversial one, worst team with more than 100 league appearances

Van der Sar (have to pick one of the 3 greats)
Phil Neville Lindelof Jones Silvestre
Fellaini Anderson McTominay
Young Berbatov Lingard

Worst player to play for the club - Between Bebe and Tyler Blackett
Worst player relative to expectations - Sanchez by far
Good challenge. Obviously there are a lot of good/great players there.

Edit: went by the wiki list that counts appearances in all tournaments

I'd certainly pick De Gea as a keeper though — unlike Schmeichel or van der Sar he had a prolonged spell of mediocre performances (even if it can be argued that at his best he was as good if not better than at least VdS*).

De Gea
AWB - Lindelöf - Bailly - Rojo
P. Neville - McTominay - Fellaini - Fred
Welbeck - Lingard​

*I'd still pick Schmeichel first and van der Sar second, but it's really a close one

Last edited:
Good challenge. Obviously there are a lot of good/great players there.

I'd certainly pick De Gea as a keeper though — unlike Schmeichel or van der Sar he had a prolonged spell of mediocre performances (even if it can be argued that at his best he was as good if not better than at least VdS*).

De Gea
AWB - Lindelöf - Bailly - Rojo
P. Neville - McTominay - Fellaini - Fred
Welbeck - Lingard​

*I'd still pick Schmeichel first and van der Sar second, but it's really a close one
Bailly is still 32 appearances short of a hundred in the league. In his sixth season for us. Really does sum the guy up, doesn't it?

And I would have gone with Welbeck ahead of Berbatov too but he also fell short of 100 league appearances. Nailed-on starter if we're going with all competitions

harms

Staff
Bailly is still 32 appearances short of a hundred in the league. In his sixth season for us. Really does sum the guy up, doesn't it?

And I would have gone with Welbeck ahead of Berbatov too but he also fell short of 100 league appearances. Nailed-on starter if we're going with all competitions
Looked at the wrong list and counted players' appearances in all tournaments instead of only the league! Yeah, that shifts the personnel around a bit.

KeanoMagicHat

I agree on Schmeichel being the best and Van der Sar was a fantastic keeper, also agree with what you said about De Gea having a longer bad time. However, I would argue it's also the territory of playing twice as many games for United as Van der Sar, it's his 11th season now

De Gea has been in 5 PFA Teams of the Year, won 4 Matt Busby player of the year awards. De Gea has played almost 460 games for United and the majority of them overall have been outstanding, even if the bad ones really stunk the place out.

peridigm

I think his injuries have really clouded the fact that he was a decent player when fit. No way is he worse than Rojo or Bailly.
I agree to disagree. Read the thread title. Taking all things into account, no player has been injured while playing for United more than Phil Jones. He's first name on my team sheet for worst 11. Also had a fair few mental collapses when he did play. How about that OG against Spurs in 11 seconds or whatever it was. Could of, would of, should of doesn't cut it at the top. He should of been sold years ago or let go for free. He's been stealing a living for over a decade.

If you actually assess his performances & not the story of his transfer, no way he is making this team. 3 goals & 10 assists in 20 starts (1645 minutes, which is less than 18 full games), Manchester United's Player of the Month in September etc. Obviously he had completely downed his tools in the second half of the season, he's very unlikeable, he never wanted to be here in the first place etc., but that shouldn't get in the way of evaluating performances.
POTM in September?. That was the start of the season. Of course he wanted to start guns blazing. It was a high profile transfer for us at the time. Went to shit after that. All players have good days even if they're shit. The bold part is exactly why he's on my worst 11. He's a cnut and used us to get his move to PSG.