What would you have done had you taken over from Sir Alex (£300m budget)

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Right so you've been given the job after Sir Alex... you're heading into the 13/14 season on a three year contract and you've been set the following targets (please give a season by season detailed breakdown and try to keep it realistic in terms of transfer targets):

• Stay in the top four this year
  • Win the league (or produce a genuine title challenge) within the next 3 years
  • Win FA Cup/League Cup within the next 3 years
  • Play an attractive brand of football
  • Demonstrate that progression is being made in all aspects of the club
  • Be competitive in Europe i.e. QF's (by the 3rd year)
  • Integrate youth within the first team squad
  • Transfer Budget of £300m (over three seasons)

Remember the first team from last season (12/13) which won the PL was...

DDG
Rafael Ferdinand Evans Evra
Valencia Carrick Cleverley Kagawa
Van Persie Rooney

1 GK Spain David de Gea
2 DF Brazil Rafael
3 DF France Patrice Evra
4 DF England Phil Jones
5 DF England Rio Ferdinand
6 DF Northern Ireland Jonny Evans
7 MF Ecuador Antonio Valencia
8 MF Brazil Anderson
10 FW England Wayne Rooney
11 MF Wales Ryan Giggs
12 DF England Chris Smalling
13 GK Denmark Anders Lindegaard
14 FW Mexico Javier Hernández
15 DF Serbia Nemanja Vidić
16 MF England Michael Carrick
17 MF Portugal Nani
18 MF England Ashley Young
19 FW England Danny Welbeck
20 FW Netherlands Robin van Persie
22 MF England Paul Scholes
23 MF England Tom Cleverley
24 MF Scotland Darren Fletcher
25 MF England Nick Powell
26 MF Japan Shinji Kagawa
27 FW Italy Federico Macheda
28 DF Netherlands Alexander Büttner
33 FW Portugal Bébé
N/A FW England Wilfried Zaha

Reminder of what actually happened..

In short Moyes kept the squad as it was for his 10 months in charge and spent vast amounts on Fellaini and Mata. They didn't have any impact on an already over bloated squad that was punching above its weight under that title win from the year before and we finished 7th.

In the years since LvG took charge.. 30+ players have been released or sold, so the squad has undergone a huge change in terms of its size and out of the first team from the last PL title, only DDG, Rooney and Carrick are still starters. Which when you consider that most of us only consider DDG to be worthy of a place at this club out of that trio... says a heck of a lot about the quality and longevity of the first team that Sir Alex left behind in 12/13. He didn't leave behind a team which could go on and win title after title.. he left behind a team which was on its last legs and needed a revamp. Despite the much needed revamp, LvG hasn't been able to take the team back to the top.. so his revolution has stalled.

Anyway.. what would you have done in retrospect within the conditions provided above.

Last edited:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Signed Thiago and Vidal.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I'd buy Blind, Schneiderlin and Martial (from hindsight) and I'd also buy Griezman and Douglas Costa.

Oh feck it, lets's get Mr Chat shit, Get banged as well.

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
Get Strootman/Schniderlin
Get Herrera
Get Douglas Costa
Get Shaw
Get Blind
Get Mempis
Get Marial
Get a new CB
Trim away the squad

All of this in 2 windows

De Gea
Rafael - Smalling - New CB/Vidic - Evra/Shaw
Carrick/Strootman
Herrera - Kagawa
Douglas Costa - RVP - Young

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Isn't this the football manager thread ?
That is more to do with the current squad. I think there is room for both. This goes to the root of the problems back then.. i.e. could we have kept the likes of Evra longer perhaps? wrong players were let go.. whereas the FM one deals with the here and now.

Timdbro

I like where this is going.
Once we get consensus, can we have an FM-off between the two squads?

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Without the benefit of hindsight?

2013:

Mesut Özil.
Ander Herrera.
Lars Bender.
Thiago Alcântara (before U-21 Euros).

2014:

Diego Costa.
Luke Shaw.
Callum Chambers.
Aymeric Laporte.

2015:

Felipe Anderson.
Ilkay Gündogan.
Antoine Griezmann (before his buyout clause went up).

jem

Get Strootman/Schniderlin
How is Strootman doing these days (in his recovery.) Has the ship completely sailed on his eventually coming here. I've never really watched him, so curious to know: is Schneiderlin a like-for-like replacement, as it were, or would Strootman offer something else? Basically, I'm wondering if it's still worth keeping an eye on this guy?

SalfordRed1960

I would have built a new spine of the team around DDG.

So new Striker, CM, CB. Each of these would be established players around 26/27. Probably, Bacca, Modric and Godin.

I would have let all those who have gone, go bar Nani. I would have let Rooney go, even to Chelsea.

I would probably have acquired all those we have acquired bar Fellani and ADM, I would have gone for Douglas Costa instead of ADM and Herrera was my preference to Fellani.

I would not have purchased Vidal or Strootman because of their past injuries. I would not have wasted time on Ronaldo, Fabregas, Bale or Thiago. But I would have gone for Sanchez.

I would make them watch last minute goals that United have scored to instill a culture of 'we fight to the end'.

Simples

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
How is Strootman doing these days (in his recovery.) Has the ship completely sailed on his eventually coming here. I've never really watched him, so curious to know: is Schneiderlin a like-for-like replacement, as it were, or would Strootman offer something else? Basically, I'm wondering if it's still worth keeping an eye on this guy?
He has been injured mainly but in 2013 when saf retired he looked good imo.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Got Fellaini while his release clause was valid. Also sign the next Messi.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I would have bought Ozil, Sanchez and Lewandowski for a start - what a front line that would be

The White Pele

My thoughts on the squad at the time:

GK: set for the next 5 years with DDG. Only action would be to try and tie him to a long term deal.

CB: Rio and Vida on the decline. A signing potentially required but not a priority that summer. I always rated Smalling so would have given him a starting berth and rotated the others whilst looking for a long term partner for Mike.

LB/RB: Evra probably needed replacing. Shaw was the obvious long-term replacement. Also needed an alternative to Rafael at RB. Would have looked to sign a stop gap utility player until Shaw could be signed (not sure who).

Centre-mid: the absolute priority with only Carrick making the grade. Fletcher and probably Anderson shipped out. Cleverly kept on. Giggs phased out completely. Herrera had already been identified so seemed the most sensible option and Thiago would have become a priority as he became available.

Wingers: Another priority as Young and Valencia not of the required standard. Nani given another opportunity. Kagawa kept but would prefer to use him centrally. Bale was the obvious choice but was set on Madrid. Would have tried to tempt Reus, Lucas Moura or Oxlade Chamberlain. But assuming I failed to land them would promote Januzaj and give time to Zaha.

Forwards: set. But a decision to be made on Rooney and RVP as to who would start as 9.

Ins: Clyne, Thiago, Herrera
Out: Fletcher, Anderson, Young, Valencia

---------------DDG
Rafael---Jones----Smalling---Evra
-----------Carrick---Thiago
Nani----------Kagawa-------Welbeck
---------------Rooney

2014 summer:
Assuming I wouldn't have signed Mata in Jan as we already had too many options through the middle. Blind has been a great signing but all credit to LVG on that one, I didn't know much about him.

Ins: Shaw, Hummels (was probably the most popular choice at the time), Di Maria, Barkley
Outs: Vidic, Rio, Evra, Giggs, Zaha, RVP, Cleverley

---------------DDG
Rafael--Smalling--Hummels--Shaw
--------------Carrick
---------Thiago-----Di Maria
Nani----------------------Welbeck
---------------Rooney

Still a couple of top wingers from being a top side.

2015 summer:
Ins: Schneiderlin, De Bruyne, Martial.

End squad:
DDG, Lindegaard, Johnstone
Rafael, Clyne, Smalling, Hummels, Jones, Evans, Shaw
Carrick, Schneiderlin, Thiago, Herrera, Barkley
Nani, Di Maria, Kagawa, Januzaj, De Bruyne
Rooney, Welbeck, Hernandez, Martial

Last edited:

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
This is quite easy with hindsight. I'm only going to use players that have actually moved clubs in the three years.

First year:
Out:
Anderson
Ferdinand
Van Persie
Macheda
Fletcher
Bebe

Promoted:
Giggs - first team coach
Januzaj - first team
Scholes - first team coach

In:
Thiago - 12m
Herrera - 25m
Zouma - 12m
Shaw - 30m

I would play a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 formation with high pressing and focus on possession and quick interchanges and one two's to break down teams. Vidic and Evra would be kept on as experience and Zouma bought for the long term pairing with Smalling (After deeming Jones to be not good enough). Shaw will share the spot with Evra until he starts outperforming the latter. Rafael will be played with Valencia as cover until I realise he is injury prone and look to fix it in the summer. The midfield will be Thiago-Herrera-Carrick until I realise Thiago is always injured and I start Kagawa instead, playing a similar role to his one at Dortmund. The front three will be Young-Rooney-Nani with Januzaj replacing Young as he emerges and Welbeck in rotation.

Fourth place will be achieved with little fuss, stopping a rampant Pool before they get going with a crushing 10-0 victory. Seriously though, whilst struggling for goals, United will be solid at the back and will control games with their possession game.

Second Season:

Out:
Rooney
Nani
Young
Evans
Vidic

In:
Douglas Costa - 30m
Clyne - 10m
Sanchez - 30m

With a blunt attack lacking pace and directness, I would look to sort it by bringing in Sanchez and Costa. With those two flanking , the team will have more firepower and attacking outlets for the three behind to feed in. The midfield three stays the same as I look for Carricks replacement next summer and Thiago works on his fitness. Clyne is brought in as a solid first team RB in case Rafael never regains his fitness/form. No January signings that could upset the team as they push for the title. We will win the title but fall short in Europe.

Third Season:

Out:
Buttner
Chicharito
Welbeck

In:
Martial 38m
Vidal - 25m
Rojo - 16m

Both Martial as a striker and Vidal to replace Carrick will be bought. This will add industry and another attacking outlet for the team to create a formidable side based on possession with its best years ahead of them.

The first team will be:

DDG
Clyne---Smalling---Zouma/Jones---Shaw
Vidal---Thiago/Kagawa---Herrera
Douglas Costa---Martial---Sanchez

Subs:
Rojo, Januzaj, Carrick, Welbeck, Cleverly, Evra, Rafael

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
You can't discuss this thread without first having a snapshot about our situation back then.

a- We had a squad who lacked quality and was getting complacent
b- Most of the quality came from old players (Rio, Vidic, Evra, Giggs, Scholes) and our best player (RVP) came to United because of SAF only for him to retire a year later.
c- We had loads of players at the wrong end of their contract including Rooney and Januzaj.
d- The youth academy wasn't producing great talent
e- we had a defense mostly made up of injury prone players
f- we had a new chairman
g- the club as a whole was complacent especially in terms of transfers. Years of winning despite not investing alot had made us think that we can get away with almost anything

So seriously I doubt that the new manager would have been given 300m to spend. FFS we didn't even bother buying Moyes contract so he can start his job ASAP.

So let us assume that the club took the matter seriously (which it didnt) and was ready to go against the infamous value strategy.

a- I would have added at least 3 CM ie a playmaker and 2 hardworking midfielders I would have gone for Vidal, Schneiderlin and Thiago.
b- I would also have added two wingers. Sanchez and Reus would have been a target especially since Dortmund wanted Kagawa back
c- I would have probably risked it with the current CBs (Rio, Vidic, Smalling, Evans and Jones) but I would have added at least one fullbacks. Darmian would have been my target

Hence

GK: DDG, Lindegaard, 3rd keeper

DR: Darmian, Rafael
DL: Evra, Buttner
DC: Rio, Smalling
DC: Vidic, Jones, Evans

DM: Carrick, Schneiderlin
MC: Vidal, Scholes
Playmaker: Thiago, Giggs, Scholes

LW: Reus, Young
RW: Sanchez, Januzaj

STK: RVP, Rooney, Chica

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Without the benefit of hindsight?

2013:

Mesut Özil.
Ander Herrera.
Lars Bender.

2014:

Diego Costa.
Luke Shaw.
Callum Chambers.
Aymeric Laporte.

2015:

Felipe Anderson.
Ilkay Gündogan.
You're allowed to use hindsight. Its only logical.

The Purist

Supports
Arsenal
Bought Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez for a combined £75million and sat on the extra £225million.

mu77

sold rooney , anderson yr one. scholes to coach giggs to part timer. made a run at lewandowski , matic and cahill. sorted out fb position. lb being priority one - maybe baines then rb clyne or coleman. never would have bought wiggy or mata. had kagawa already. moyes fecked that up big style.

yr two - RVP out , (after 2nd title) danny danny danny , TC23 , fletcher, vida , rio , paddy and carrick - cesc , sanchez , shaw in along with eriksen. giggs youth team coach w/scholes

yr three - out young , zaha , evans. in schnedy , stones and moura.

Brophs

The One and Only
I'd have bought a £290m rocket and strapped Woodward, Moyes, Fellaini, Falcao, Van Gaal and his creepy looking assistant to it and I'd have fired the fecker into the sun. Then I'd have bought some property in London because, well, I'm not a complete fecking idiot.

shabz

I would have bought the referees for 500k each game for 30 games a season and won the league twice. Then I would have retired as the most enigmatic figure in football history.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
b- Most of the quality came from old players (Rio, Vidic, Evra, Giggs, Scholes) and our best player (RVP) came to United because of SAF only for him to retire a year later.
Neither of them played that much apart from van Persie and Evra(who was shit anyway). Büttner played more than Scholes, Vidic was injured for majority of season and played much less than Evans for example, and Cleverley played just 500ish minutes less than Giggs and Scholes combined.

Only van Persie and Rio were quite important players that year from those mentioned, and of course Evra because we had no replacemant for him whatsoever.

Why are people so obsessed with downplaying the quality of Fergie's squad?

The likes of Rafael, Evans, Welbeck, Valencia, Chicharito were amongst our 12 most featured players that year.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I would've brought in Falcao and Di Maria given half the chance that I do know.

birdy2121

If I was Ed woodward I would of offered £200 of the £300 million to SAF to stay another 3 years and rebuild another team :D
Agree we are seeing the fruits of a average managers labor and its not impressive. SAF would have spent big on the best young British Talent. IMO if SAF was there Bale would be his no 1 target. He would also be paying 40m for John stones and we would be winning the league this season.

NoPace

You'd have picked up Douglas Costa, eh? :lol:
This whole thread summed up here.

Realistically, I think there were a lot of people desperate for us to sign Thiago and Vidal that summer. Not so much the rest of these names, some of whom wouldn't sign with us.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
You're allowed to use hindsight. Its only logical.
We are? Ooh, well in that case things become relatively simple. :D

2013:

Mesut Özil. Robert Lewandowski (agree £25 million signing bonus before Bayern with a view for Bosman transfer in 2014).
Ander Herrera.
Saúl Ñíguez (when he had a £10 million buyout clause, and before loan move to Rayo).
Neymar - £25 million more than this figure (straight into his personal account in the Cayman Islands):
Koke (when had a £18 million buyout clause, and was not a very important starter for Atletico).
Lars Bender. John Stones (£10 million fee and make him a student behind Rio, transferred for £3 million just months ago, so Everton wouldn't be able to resist it).

Matthias Ginter transfer in January, loan back to Freiburg for World Cup chances.

2014:

Diego Costa. Antoine Griezmann from Sociedad.
Luke Shaw.
Kingsley Coman (loan to Juventus, then to Bayern before offloading).
Riyad Mahrez for £400,000 from Le Havre (loan him to Leicester, sell in 2016).
Callum Chambers. Grzegorz Krychowiak from Reims.
Nicolás Otamendi (from Porto for £9 million).
Aymeric Laporte.

Douglas Costa in January.
Lassana Diarra after he was sacked from Lokomotiv.

2015:

Jordan Amavi.
Felipe Anderson.

----Neymar---------Lewandowski----------Griezmann----

------Koke-----------Krychowiak------------Ander---------

----Shaw------Otamendi-------Smalling-------Ginter----

-------------------------De Gea-----------------------------

Subs: Costa (supersub), Saúl, Stones, Diarra, Amavi.
Stones, Saúl to displace Otamendi, Krychowiak when they're ready to become 100% starters.

Last edited:

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I'd only waste it on chocolate, tbh.

rooney1905

I wouldn't have changed much honestly. Brought in a couple of targets who are easy to get. Herrera and Shaw come to mind. Find a replacement for Carrick so Schneiderlin would have been my pick. Let's face it, most players aren't to a club based on name only outside of Real Madrid or Barcelona. Most will also be interested in the coach which is the issue that Moyes faced. So that rules out any big name targets until the ship is steadied. Most importantly I would kept the coaches in place. With Gill leaving and Sir Alex leaving what we needed most was stability. I would have gradually changed some things over time but our transition was too much for most to cope with.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Ddg
Rafael
Vidic
Smalling
Evra
Carrick
Modric
Bale
Nani
Lewandowski
Welbeck

So basically I'd have spunked my budget on 3 players

A season later I'd be looking at long term replacements for vidic, Carrick and evra

Cina

Made Nani captain and built the team around him.