What's good/better about football today?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Better:

Accessibility - you can watch practically any top division game on the planet you want to.

Pitches - mentioned by a number of posters.

Hope - Systems are king and players can believe in a good system, as opposed to pure skill vs pure skill, which often meant the lesser side was about to get trounced and humiliated.

Offensive principles - teams go for it a lot more now than they used to. Gaming for draws and narrow losses is no longer uniform.

Fitness - Facilities, diet and sports science has broader now. In the past, only the best clubs had full access to the latest tech breakthroughs. Bigger teams tended to be fitter, stronger and just all round superior to smaller sides because of this access. Teams like Luton can now match any side for fitness 11 vs 11, where they will now fall down is the lack of quality throughout the squad rather than the entire team being inferior athletes.

Much less intent to hurt/maim/incapacitate - that kind of thuggery has mostly been eradicated

Worse:

Free thinking - players are seen to be going rogue if they break from the system and the instructions briefed for their area of the pitch. In the even something goes wrong in their area of the pitch due to them trying to take the initiative, they will be summarily chided and you won't see that same 'mistake' again as they go back to playing on tracks as the remit demands.

Creativity - So much more of what you see now is rehearsed to an inch of its life. As impressive as those chains can be, the uniformity is predictable and not exciting unless executed at blinding speed and technical quality. Again, a player going rogue and thinking on the hop can disrupt the entire chain and then things can become disjointed until the system is dominant again. Technique isn't better, but sequencing is a magnitude of order superior.

Fitness - a con as well as a pro. Hard running drones are harder to beat than a bunch of highly skilled, lower fitness individuals. A lot of technical brilliance is being filtered out of the game in this manner where those who cannot keep up with the demands and repetition of the press are liabilities to the system . A player like Riquelme would be in deep doo doo coming through now.

Long range shooting and lower odds strike attempts - Risk aversion is so high that taking shots on from 30 yards out is now looked down upon. Obviously, an art form takes a tumble when few practice those things anymore.

#10's - all the greatest of all time have been #10's. It is supposed to be the genial position on a football pitch. These days there very, very through #10's active, and the few we do see are heavily marginalised. Riquelme; B Laudrup; Del Piero; Baggio and so on and so forth; what do they look like if they came through in this age? A #10 is more praised for his pressing from the front than he is for his mercurial offensive abilities now. Coaches will pick a hybrid of the two every time over a purer, better #10, I think.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The backpass rule. How the feck did people even watch football in the old days? If a team went a goal up, did they not just pass it back to the keeper for the rest of the game?
I wonder this too. What would stop a team doing this all game? Seems a nightmare

Also, games not being decided by a coin toss. The feck was that about

Yagami

Good post resistant
I love how most teams now try to play football without the need for hoofing it.

I watch classic football and still love it, but I'm spoilt by today's game because, back then, there's so many times teams tended to constantly hoof it which would then either go straight to the opposition who then proceed to hoof it themselves, or would lead to volleyball/ping pong esque back and forth heading match, and I'm just like "your midfielder is right there, pass to him!".

The backpass rule. How the feck did people even watch football in the old days? If a team went a goal up, did they not just pass it back to the keeper for the rest of the game?
I wonder this too. What would stop a team doing this all game? Seems a nightmare

I've watched a lot of old games just to see Law, Charlton and Best, and it's never been a problem for me. I find the games very enjoyable as there's pretty much no time wasting, dives, players feigning injury. When a goalkeeper does receive a backpass, they release the ball almost instantly. It's not like today where goalkeepers tend to dillydally on the ball.

Jeffthered

Crowds represents everybody, I think the increased interest from women in the modern game has been an important and super benefit to football.

TV and media coverage and presentation of the game is much better (although simply more and more games, pundits, podcasts, stas etc etc is not always better...)

Facilities and stadiums are better in some ways, (but many new stadia lack character, which is a big worry). Pitches are amazing now. VAR is a good addition, still settling in as a system though.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

You had to have a front two that pressed like feck to cut off the angle back to the keeper. It wasn't that different to today.

Great rule change though, I'd say it's the best we've had in the last half-century or so. Improved the product and demanded much more on the ball from the defenders and keeper.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I love how most teams now try to play football without the need for hoofing it.

I watch classic football and still love it, but I'm spoilt by today's game because, back then, there's so many times teams tended to constantly hoof it which would then either go straight to the opposition who then proceed to hoof it themselves, or would lead to volleyball/ping pong esque back and forth heading match, and I'm just like "your midfielder is right there, pass to him!".

I've watched a lot of old games just to see Law, Charlton and Best, and it's never been a problem for me. I find the games very enjoyable as there's pretty much no time wasting, dives, players feigning injury. When a goalkeeper does receive a backpass, they release the ball almost instantly. It's not like today where goalkeepers tend to dillydally on the ball.
The boring stuff came in after Charlton, Best and Law really, the back pass rule did make a big difference at the time.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
You had to have a front two that pressed like feck to cut off the angle back to the keeper. It wasn't that different to today.

Great rule change though, I'd say it's the best we've had in the last half-century or so. Improved the product and demanded much more on the ball from the defenders and keeper.
I wonder if there were people back then saying, "it's not broke, don't fix it"

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I wonder if there were people back then saying, "it's not broke, don't fix it"
Oh aye. A few of the managers complained at the time - Howard Wilkinson and George Graham in particular.

spiriticon

There is less focus on individual referees because of VAR and that is a good thing for me.

While VAR isn't perfect, the blame is shared on a team rather than one particular person.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Better: slugfests have become much less common which arguably makes for better entertainment value.

Worse: there's much less soul involved in the game, I know it's difficult to ascertain what that even means and perhaps a part of it is United being shite but everything feels less genuine now, from players making silly pre rehearsed celebrations to how less everyone seems to care.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Easier to watch highlights or re-watch your favorite moments.

Better facilities for kids in a lot of places - just been overseeing the development of a new "football hub" here with multiple astro turf pitches, changing rooms, gym, tactical screens, TVs showing England games, etc. Its open to the public and I think its great. When I was a kid we had to play in the car park at the back of the street or on the school field until the police kicked us off. Nothing like this existed. Now there are about 100 football pitches and probably nearly 50 all weather football courts/pitches that I could walk to from my house.

Struggling to think of anything that's improved with the actual football itself. The fitness levels etc. have definitely improved massively but that doesn't make it better to watch. Did think technically it had improved as well or in terms of skill/easy on the eye stuff...but now I think that's more cyclical, because a majority of games the last few years are just 90 minutes of people being pressured into making errors.

Josep Dowling

Crowds represents everybody, I think the increased interest from women in the modern game has been an important and super benefit to football.

TV and media coverage and presentation of the game is much better (although simply more and more games, pundits, podcasts, stas etc etc is not always better...)

Facilities and stadiums are better in some ways, (but many new stadia lack character, which is a big worry). Pitches are amazing now. VAR is a good addition, still settling in as a system though.
I'm not sure I agree with that. I don't get to see much live football these days but when I do it's still 90% males, the majority white male.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
I find the high pressing, high-line tactics a lot more cavalier than what was around in previous decades and I enjoy watching the game more. There is, however, something about the trend towards pre-programmed team movements that feels mechanical and robotic and a long way removed from the spontaneity of playground football. But over all, I enjoy watching it more.

The list of things I hate about modern football is as long as my leg, much of it related to how it's become a parody of predatory capitalism. I've been saying for years that I'll eventually give it away but I'm still here though, so feck you football.

Last edited:

Kopral Jono

Goal-line technology, VAR when used properly, better timekeeping and less thuggishness from players and fans alike.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
So @adexkola @duffer piggybacked your thread and the misery one has more views, interest and comments despite being made after this thread.

Indicative of the world we live in?

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
The base technical level of everyone is higher.

I reckon the best players of yesteryear stood out so much in part because of their talent but also the lack of talent of everyone else.

Players don't stand out as much now because everybody else can play to a very high level.

Makes it easier to robotise the game (which is for the what's worse thread)

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
So @adexkola @duffer piggybacked your thread and the misery one has more views, interest and comments despite being made after this thread.

Indicative of the world we live in?
It was a social experiment on my part, that's why I worded the title they way I did. The results were not surprising, people love whinging.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
technical. level throughout the team is higher.

It has become far more difficult for teams to just kick the other team off the pitch (see some of the hatchet jobs united got away with against arsenal back in the day for example).

Time wasting is now a less efficient strategy.

I wanna say higher paced games, but there's plusses and minuses. The game is far more team based now, individual actions have less impact on a given situation than it used to.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

More goals per game across the big leagues? Surely that's a good thing, no?

Better athletes in almost every position on the pitch, which has led to the game (almost) maxing out in terms of pace and power? It's considered a sign of progression in basketball and in every other team sport that allows physical contact.

The requirements for an adequate technical level and good decision-making on the ball cover every single position on the pitch. How can that be a bad thing, i honestly don't know.

Edit: I happened to rewatch the CL finals from 2000 up to 2009 recently, an era that some on here consider the "good ol' days". Most of the games are unwatchable, a testament to nullifying any sense of attacking intent, leading to super slow games where nothing happens, masked as tactical genius.

Thank God, those days are over.

Last edited:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It was a social experiment on my part, that's why I worded the title they way I did. The results were not surprising, people love whinging.
:D

I anticipated it as soon as I saw the mirror thread
Yeah, it was a given that the negative one would break free, manifest.

Glad I at least posted sunny side up in here first and added the negative bit from here onto the other thread.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool

Better athletes in almost every position on the pitch, which has led to the game (almost) maxing out in terms of pace and power? It's considered a sign of progression in basketball and in every other team sport that allows physical contact.

The requirements for an adequate technical level and good decision-making on the ball cover every single position on the pitch. How can that be a bad thing, i honestly don't know.

Edit: I happened to rewatch the CL finals from 2000 up to 2009 recently, an era that some on here consider the "good ol' days". Most of the games are unwatchable, a testament to nullifying any sense of attacking intent, leading to super slow games where nothing happens, masked as tactical genius.

Yeah, early mid 00s and early 90s were bad for the sport.

Compare the "interesting tactical contests" between Klopp and Guardiola to the "interesting tactical contests" between Mourinho and Benitez.

it's like a different sport.

Houllier is another who wouldn't have lasted half a season in modern football.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Yeah, early mid 00s and early 90s were bad for the sport.

Compare the "interesting tactical contests" between Klopp and Guardiola to the "interesting tactical contests" between Mourinho and Benitez.

it's like a different sport.

Houllier is another who wouldn't have lasted half a season in modern football.
It really is. It's not about being cautious, either, we all know the stakes are high. The norm was a game between two sides in which neither team wanted the ball and neither side wanted to take any sort of initiative. Even the 1999 & 2005 finals earned their place in history books because both United and Liverpool, having no other choice, did the most British thing by throwing the kitchen sink in. And that was considered naive on any other occasion. But try to watch Ancelotti vs Lippi at OT in 2005 or Hitzefeld vs Cuper in 2001 in San Siro. That was the pinnacle of the sport back then. Thanks, but no, thanks.

Skills

Snitch
Camera placements/wide angles are brilliant nowadays. You see so much more of what's happening in the game on the TV.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips

Is this trolling?
The last four CL finals have produced a total of four goals. Borefest.

The last four winning teams have produced ... wait for it..
2020 Bayern - 2 shots on target
2021 Chelsea - 2 shots on target
2022 R Madrid - 1 shot on target
2023 Man City - 4 shots on target

The excitement and skill is amazing.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Is this trolling?

No, it's not. I mentioned that these games are supposed to be tight affairs. These are still games in which teams showed intent to do something with the ball. Games, in which one team was on top for a period of time and then the other team made a tweak and took control of the proceedings. Some older finals (the ones with Atlético spring to mind) are perfectly poised battles between possession and transition-based teams. It's much better than the" -You take the ball. -No, you can have it. Please, i'm more than happy to oblige you. -Thank you, but i must insist. " affairs of the previous era.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
It really is. It's not about being cautious, either, we all know the stakes are high. The norm was a game between two sides in which neither team wanted the ball and neither side wanted to take any sort of initiative. Even the 1999 & 2005 finals earned their place in history books because both United and Liverpool, having no other choice, did the most British thing by throwing the kitchen sink in. And that was considered naive on any other occasion. But try to watch Ancelotti vs Lippi at OT in 2005 or Hitzefeld vs Cuper in 2001 in San Siro. That was the pinnacle of the sport back then. Thanks, but no, thanks.
Have you got a link to those games?

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
There is less focus on individual referees because of VAR and that is a good thing for me.

While VAR isn't perfect, the blame is shared on a team rather than one particular person.
VAR would simply be fixed if they had to play the communication between the officials in the ground/live on TV.

I personally do not think the refs side with any teams, however I do believe they're influenced by media narrative/the crowd hostility and so get persuaded by that at times.

For me, if they knew they were being boardcasted live, I think it would focus minds a bit more on just officiating what is infront of them. A prime example of this imo, is when Dean said he didn't tell Taylor of a blant red because he was his mate and he didn't want to let the crowd know of the mistake. Playing it live in the ground would completely elimate that and I suspect other similar circumstances.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Is this trolling?

Yeah. I'd prefer to watch the 2001 or 2003 final over any of those fairly forgettable games.

Jeffthered

The base technical level of everyone is higher.

I reckon the best players of yesteryear stood out so much in part because of their talent but also the lack of talent of everyone else.

Players don't stand out as much now because everybody else can play to a very high level.

Makes it easier to robotise the game (which is for the what's worse thread)
I fundamentally disagree with this. Are today's players better football players, or simply better athletes? I think the latter. I actually think there was as much technical ability in previous years.. you needed to avoid (and deal with..) real, tough, harsh, late tackling and that was expected.. plus the quality of the pitches which were at times, absolutely dreadful..lol.

I think there were more 'ball' players in previous years. Now, it's all a little monotonous. The presentation (coverage) is great, far better, the product far slicker, attractive and commercially savvy'..and the hype machine is through the roof. But is the quality of football player better? I don't know about that. You think our youngsters coming through are better than those 20 years ago?

Last edited:

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Yeah. I'd prefer to watch the 2001 or 2003 final over any of those fairly forgettable games.
So you pick two random boring games - rather than the last 4 boring finals. Football as a whole is now boring.

Even the fitness point - maybe they have more supposedly better technical training and have a better diet but fit ? 118 Premier League players are currently out injured - 118!!!

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
From this thread I’ve learned how to beat teams like city

turn you pitch into a cut up mud like and let them try and pass on that motherfeckers. Hit them direct and hit them hard

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
So you pick two random boring games - rather than the last 4 boring finals. Football as a whole is now boring.

Even the fitness point - maybe they have more supposedly better technical training and have a better diet but fit ? 118 Premier League players are currently out injured - 118!!!
Those were the matches the original post referenced as being underwhelming compared to today’s finals. To be honest I enjoyed both games at the time - the two strongest defensive units in Europe going head-to-head in both years. The additional narrative in 2001 that it was likely the last bite of the cherry for both teams, having already been runners-up in the competition in the preceding two seasons.

MiceOnMeth

Higher level. I know people like to say that we had so many great [x] years ago but the level and consistency is so much higher now. Even teams from the bottom are training and managed so much more. Everyone is incredibly fit, every team has countless ways in which they’ve improved. From diet, base technique and passing, defending as a unit, tactics. You name it.

Which in turn means that players who belong to the very top have it even harder to stand out. Just compare the spaces in which the modern winger or midfielder needs to operate to just 20 years ago.
I don't think this has made football better to watch though. I think it's the opposite