What's happened to spectacular goals?

vidic blood & sand

There's been some terrific goals this season, like previous seasons, but the really spectacular goals seem to be in decline.
In particular we rarely see the 35 yard rockets and volleys flying in. Headers aren't what they used to be either.
Maybe you disagree, but if you don't, why do you think we're seeing a drop in corkers?

1) Player ability is declining.
2) Improved goalkeeping
3) Ball dynamics
4) Other

4) Other.

Namely, over-coached players and an over-reliance on statistics influencing team tactics and shot selection. I have no proof to back this claim up but I believe there’s a correlation there somewhere. There’s also, IMO, a similar phenomenon occurring across top-level sports over the past five years or so.

There's been some terrific goals this season, like previous seasons, but the really spectacular goals seem to be in decline.
In particular we rarely see the 35 yard rockets and volleys flying in. Headers aren't what they used to be either.
Maybe you disagree, but if you don't, why do you think we're seeing a drop in corkers?

1) Player ability is declining.
2) Improved goalkeeping
3) Ball dynamics
4) Other

Other....low block tactics, football used to be two teams trying to play, now it’s about one team cutting off space shuffling side to side in two banks....and in Uniteds case us being absolutely terrible at breaking it down. It’s such a bore though.

None of the OP's factors could possibly have caused a sudden change in just one season. If you think there've been fewer spectacular goals this season specifically, it's either a fluke or you're wrong and just haven't seen the right goals.

If you mean generally over a period of time where changes might actually kick in (say, five seasons or more), then I don't agree, we've had loads of spectacular goals.

Too much focus on patterns of play. We need more managers who focus on individual brilliance.

None of the OP's factors could possibly have caused a sudden change in just one season. If you think there've been fewer spectacular goals this season specifically, it's either a fluke or you're wrong and just haven't seen the right goals.

If you mean generally over a period of time where changes might actually kick in (say, five seasons or more), then I don't agree, we've had loads of spectacular goals.
What PL goals immediately spring to mind in the last 3 years?
What 3 goals would you say are GOTS contenders this season?

Lanzini vs Spurs
McNeil
also there were couple of long rangers, including Bruno vs Everton.

It's Xg, you can't do that because xg says you won't score from there.

I’d say that over coaching and strict positioning on the field along with stats have stopped players taking such speculative long shots.

remember that season when there was ten goals that could have been goal of the season in one month, we certainly don’t see that anymore

No idea and I've got better things to do than go trawling back through goals. The onus is on you to prove your claim not others to disprove it. Have you got any actual evidence or is the whole thread just a hunch based on which games and goals one person happens to have watched this season?

And again, are you just talking about this season? Do you think player ability has declined in a single season? Goalkeeping has improved in a single season? Ball dynamics have changed in a single season?

No idea and I've got better things to do than go trawling back through goals. The onus is on you to prove your claim not others to disprove it. Have you got any actual evidence or is the whole thread just a hunch based on which games and goals one person happens to have watched this season?

And again, are you just talking about this season? Do you think player ability has declined in a single season? Goalkeeping has improved in a single season? Ball dynamics have changed in a single season?

Go and do those better things

[

so you would actually have to go trawling back to find good goals? Kind of proves the op point.

A lot of spectacular goals are actually poor play from a statistical point of view, 99%+ they won't go in and you're better of laying it out wide or building for an attempt closer to goal. Overall you'll score many more goals in a season if you don't try low % attemps. They're being coached out of players, winning has become more important than football art. The soul has been sucked out of the game by all the money, essentially. 10 or 20 years ago coaching wasn't as clinical as now.

Good example is that Kompany goal v Leicester, "No vinny don't shoot" being called out, 99.9% of the time that shot goes in to row Z. Modern coaches don't like those kinds of attempts.

I think we still see spectacular goals but the quality of football improved a lot during the years so spectacular is not that spectacular anymore as we are getting used to it. You don't even need to look that far. Lamela against Arsenal for example.

[

so you would actually have to go trawling back to find good goals? Kind of proves the op point.

:lol: No it doesn't. Jesus, this forum needs some remedial lessons in logic. I would have to go 'trawling' to find you some spectacular goals from any season.

The OP says there are less spectacular goals now than there were before. He hasn't made it clear what he actually means by 'now', and he's still yet to provide any actual evidence of what he's saying.

:lol: No it doesn't. Jesus, this forum needs some remedial lessons in logic. I would have to go 'trawling' to find you some spectacular goals from any season.

The OP says there are less spectacular goals now than there were before. He hasn't made it clear what he actually means by 'now', and he's still yet to provide any actual evidence of what he's saying.
He asked you for three goals from this season that could be goal of the season ck tender and you said you couldn’t be bothered to go back trawling. Do none stick out to you at all?

I'd say 4) Other

Lack of spectacular goals blends in with football generally getting more boring as teams put so much emphasis on possession or being compact. It's all extremely safe.

It's a tough watch at times when you grew up with 90's football.

He asked you for three goals from this season that could be goal of the season ck tender and you said you couldn’t be bothered to go back trawling. Do none stick out to you at all?

It's not my job to disprove his point, it's his to prove it. He cared enough to make a thread, I'd be fascinated to see some actual evidence.

Here's a youtube video, I'm sure there are some bangers in there:

This is one of those "everything used to be better in the past :(" threads, where folks present their feelings as facts, right?

It’s all data driven these days. We remember goals like the Scholes volley against Aston Villa or Rooney’s against Newcastle but for every one of those, there’s 99 that end up in row Z.

Managers and coaches are much more statistically aware now and know that these types of shots mostly end up as a wasted attacking opportunity.

It's not my job to disprove his point, it's his to prove it. He cared enough to make a thread, I'd be fascinated to see some actual evidence.

So your answer is no, no goals this season stick out to you. It’s totally fair if you can’t be bothered to go back trawling through footage to find any.

So your answer is no, no goals this season stick out to you. It’s totally fair if you can’t be bothered to go back trawling through footage to find any.

Here's that video again, enjoy:

Oh look, there's a part 2:

If anyone wants to offer any refuting evidence whatsoever, I'm sure we're all ears.

I just watched all that and counted 3 that could be bangers, James, madison and that Fulham lad, the rest are crosses headers/tap ins a few grass cutters from outside the area. Quite disappointing really.

what did you make of it?

Here's that video again, enjoy:

Oh look, there's a part 2:

If anyone wants to offer any refuting evidence whatsoever, I'm sure we're all ears.

Why do you need to be so passive aggressive in all your posts :lol:
I thought you had better things to do than this

A lot of spectacular goals are actually poor play from a statistical point of view, 99%+ they won't go in and you're better of laying it out wide or building for an attempt closer to goal. Overall you'll score many more goals in a season if you don't try low % attemps. They're being coached out of players, winning has become more important than football art. The soul has been sucked out of the game by all the money, essentially. 10 or 20 years ago coaching wasn't as clinical as now.

Good example is that Kompany goal v Leicester, "No vinny don't shoot" being called out, 99.9% of the time that shot goes in to row Z. Modern coaches don't like those kinds of attempts.

That's a really good point.

Off the top of my head, the ones that stick out this season to me:

Eze free kick vs Leeds
Bruno vs Everton.
Bruno vs West Brom.
Lanzini vs Spurs.
There was a Gundogan one back in January where he bent it right in the top corner, can't remember who against. Palace, maybe?
McNeill the other week was a beauty.
Lamela rabona vs Arsenal.
Pogba vs West Ham (tainted a bit because it probably went out of play, but still a great strike)
Moutinho vs Arsenal.
Ward Prowse vs Newcastle.

Foden's goal vs Liverpool was great, not from long range, but he leathered it from a tight angle. Emphatic strike.
Ings vs Wolves too. Close range again, but great volley and great technique.

I think all those are from the last 2 months as well, so they're fresh in the mind. Probably plenty more from the first half of the season.

Is there any stats to suggest fewer long range goals and volleys are being scored? I can't say I've noticed a decline in long rangers and volleys this season. Is there a season, or a period, where 35 yard bangers and volleys were more frequent?

Personally I love and rate goals like recent rabona from Lamela as much and as high as 30 meter rockets, it’s a contender for a goal of the season.

Why do you need to be so passive aggressive in all your posts :lol:
I thought you had better things to do than this

Just responding to the tone my original disagreement was met with. I'd also be genuinely interested to see if someone has something to back this claim up, but for some reason no-one seems to want to bother despite having created a thread for it.

I'm not even saying it's not true. Just would like to see the numbers to back it up. Not sure why that's an aggressive question to ask?

Personally I love and rate goals like recent rabona from Lamela as much and as high as 30 meter rockets, it’s a contender for a goal of the season.
I liked lamelas goal, it’s the shock value and skill involved. For me though a screamer or the ‘best’ goals to see are from range and smacked hard with height on them, if they hit the crossbar before going in too, then :drool:

I certainly don’t think we see as many of these goals anymore, I know this was an anomaly but looks these goals just from one month

Just responding to the tone my original disagreement was met with. I'd also be genuinely interested to see if someone has something to back this claim up, but for some reason no-one seems to want to bother despite having created a thread for it.

I'm not even saying it's not true. Just would like to see the numbers to back it up. Not sure why that's an aggressive question to ask?
I don’t think I’ve been aggressive or even arsey with you once, I actually ignored your tone for a while

also how can it be backed up anymore? You backed it up yourself with your video showing the best goals where hardly any were screamers. But again you didn’t answer any questions or provide goals you thought were worthy of being called great goals. Each to their own

Off the top of my head, the ones that stick out this season to me:

Eze free kick vs Leeds
Bruno vs Everton.
Bruno vs West Brom.
Lanzini vs Spurs.
There was a Gundogan one back in January where he bent it right in the top corner, can't remember who against. Palace, maybe?
McNeill the other week was a beauty.
Lamela rabona vs Arsenal.
Pogba vs West Ham (tainted a bit because it probably went out of play, but still a great strike)
Moutinho vs Arsenal.
Ward Prowse vs Newcastle.

Foden's goal vs Liverpool was great, not from long range, but he leathered it from a tight angle. Emphatic strike.
Ings vs Wolves too. Close range again, but great volley and great technique.

I think all those are from the last 2 months as well, so they're fresh in the mind. Probably plenty more from the first half of the season.

Is there any stats to suggest fewer long range goals and volleys are being scored? I can't say I've noticed a decline in long rangers and volleys this season. Is there a season, or a period, where 35 yard bangers and volleys were more frequent?

As I said, there have been terrific goals, and they certainly qualify. The Lanzini one is the standout I think. I don't have stats, as it's only my impression, which could be wrong.