What's our best centre-back partnership?

Maccataq

With Jones and Smalling out injured, we've started playing Bailly and Rojo and at present, I think that's the partnership I would prefer to see. At the start of the season, I would have been happy to get rid of Rojo and his LB performances are still suspect but fair play to him he's done well at CB. Smalling for me is technically not good enough but has good defensive attributes. I've always wanted Jones to do well and at times he looks very good (as he did earlier in the season) but after coming back from injury he's not been very convincing and can we rely on his fitness?

So what do you think is our best pairing? Will we sign a new player in the summer and if so who? Should we give Tuanzebe a chance?

RedMaestro

Rojo Jones was really efficient. But Rojo and Bailly look pretty good as well, but I'll expect occasional 'technical mistakes' like the one against Everton when they play together.

It's Mourinho we're talking about, he won't use Tuanzebe as a starter. I'm expecting him to buy a new CB. Not sure who it might be. Could be van Dijk if he wants a PL-proven player. Could even be Pepe if he wants a short term but experienced player. The problem is that there aren't that many world class CB's to choose from. Can't think of anyone that will be available this summer.

Maccataq

Rojo Jones was really efficient. But Rojo and Bailly look pretty good as well, but I'll expect occasional 'technical mistakes' like the one against Everton when they play together.

It's Mourinho we're talking about, he won't use Tuanzebe as a starter. I'm expecting him to buy a new CB. Not sure who it might be. Could be van Dijk if he wants a PL-proven player. Could even be Pepe if he wants a short term but experienced player. The problem is that there aren't that many world class CB's to choose from. Can't think of anyone that will be available this summer.
What about Lindelhof? I think Van Dijk would be a good purchase. I think Tuaznebe might go out on loan.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Rojones seemed to get the job done. Other than that Bailly plus anyone else is about as sturdy as we get, but I wouldn't say we really have a real partnership yet. Hopefully we sign a centre half to partner him in the summer.

RedMaestro

What about Lindelhof? I think Van Dijk would be a good purchase. I think Tuaznebe might go out on loan.
My opinion on Lindelof is that he has a lot of potential. A bit 'rough on the edges' and would probably need someone experienced next to him to be at his best level. That's why I don't think he'll work well. What he needs is the same as the current CB's at this club need - a leader and preferably someone with experience. Add to this that Benfica don't need to sell him and he'll therefore cost a lot.

You're right, Tuanzebe should go out on a loan or a I'm afraid that he'll decline. Fosu-Mensah should also do the same. Just look at Pereira, who's done it really well in Spain this season.

Web of Bissaka

Bailly-Rojo seems to be the best combo. Strong tackles, good marking, Bailly provides pace, Rojo do organize, both are good interceptor, can pass well from the back, good in one-on-one, aerial may be suspects but both are solid enough and Baily will improve, they inspire confidence since just them two defending is enough with everyone else focus attacking especially when we're chasing games. Both also plays a bit like sweepers, negating attacks smoothly. Best of all, both are the types of defenders that bully opposing attackers:keano:.

Smalling is solid, and imo our best defender when defending aerials duel and set-piece. He doesn't combine well with any CB partner though, perhaps due to lack of communication. Smalling is not communicative, plus Jones and him are prone to costly mistakes, thus he's reliable only in certain situations. At least he's more reliable than the defenders below. Doesn't inspire confidence except in set-piece. Solid strong defender, useful tactically, but could be costly.

Jones have unique capability I noticed, that is he could combine well with any defenders, but of course he won't bring the partnership to the greater level. He will do his defensive duties not spectacularly but efficient, but he's prone to mistakes and of course injuries, so not the best pairing partner we can rely on. I fear us conceding when he plays. Efficient defender with mistakes- and high injuries- proneness.

Blind. Skip. Well, he have a lot of good football qualities and have perform good in many matches as CB but worst in other matches leading to costly mistakes. I don't feel confident, neither does the team I'm sure. Better playing at Centre midfield, with LB alternative role. Good intelligent defender with good interceptions though, with occasional costly mistakes.

Tuanzebe have good potential, rated highly in youth level and the few clips showed that he's good at interceptions and clean tackling, sweeper type seemingly. However, he lacks the physical attributes of EPL defenders, but that could be easily trained so, he's promising, but lack experience. Will improve for sure.

TFM have the physicality already with good pace, but seems to lack self-control. Passion is good, but reckless tackles can be costly. The team doesn't need to reward costly freekicks to opponents especially when we're winning. So, he's risky and lacking exps, but he have good potential. I love his crunching tackles though, and he seems to be a player that likes to bully opponents with his strength and pace. Perhaps better playing in centre midfield or RB. Will improve for sure.

PieCrust

It's hard to say since their either injured, playing in the African Cup of Nations, or otherwise unavailable to settle in the team.

I'd say we're still in the market for a second CB this summer. Bailly will be one starter. I think one of Jones or Smalling will be off. For me Rojo isn't good enough to be a regular starter; good backup / squad player.

Currently, yeah, it's Bailly / Rojo. There isn't anything else to choose from.

Glanville95

Bailly and Smalling.

I think people still have short memories due to Smalling's subpar season under Mou. Last season he was excellent and we were talking about who should partner him the following season. He hasn't regressed massively and has been unfortunate with injures. Still a very good defender and more reliable than Rojo and Jones over the duration for me.

PieCrust

Bailly and Smalling.

I think people still have short memories due to Smalling's subpar season under Mou. Last season he was excellent and we were talking about who should partner him the following season. He hasn't regressed massively and has been unfortunate with injures. Still a very good defender and more reliable than Rojo and Jones over the duration for me.
Smalling was probably the best defender in the prem through Christmas last season. But he fell off dramatically in the second half of the season and has failed to regain proper form this year. That, coupled with his history of Jones like inuries, is why most are writing him off. All the potential in the world and flashes the ability to match it at times. Just can't find that consistent vein of form, and at age 27, he's not a kid any longer.

Maccataq

Bailly and Smalling.

Agree he was excellent to a point last season but that was Mike Smalling, now we only have Chris Smalling ;). Seriously though, I think LVG's system protected him and Blind but to be fair they did well. When we actually had to defend against better teams or when we were leading and under pressure, they looked less convincing. With the change in system, we need centre backs that can snuff out counter attacks quickly and not get exposed for pace which is why we have seen less of Blind. Smalling just isn't good enough on the ball for my liking though I agree he is a good defender.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Bailly-Rojo seems to be the best combo. Strong tackles, good marking, Bailly provides pace, Rojo do organize, both are good interceptor, can pass well from the back, good in one-on-one, aerial may be suspects but both are solid enough and Baily will improve, they inspire confidence since just them two defending is enough with everyone else focus attacking especially when we're chasing games. Both also plays a bit like sweepers, negating attacks smoothly. Best of all, both are the types of defenders that bully opposing attackers:keano:.

Smalling is solid, and imo our best defender when defending aerials duel and set-piece. He doesn't combine well with any CB partner though, perhaps due to lack of communication. Smalling is not communicative, plus Jones and him are prone to costly mistakes, thus he's reliable only in certain situations. At least he's more reliable than the defenders below. Doesn't inspire confidence except in set-piece. Solid strong defender, useful tactically, but could be costly.

Jones have unique capability I noticed, that is he could combine well with any defenders, but of course he won't bring the partnership to the greater level. He will do his defensive duties not spectacularly but efficient, but he's prone to mistakes and of course injuries, so not the best pairing partner we can rely on. I fear us conceding when he plays. Efficient defender with mistakes- and high injuries- proneness.

Blind. Skip. Well, he have a lot of good football qualities and have perform good in many matches as CB but worst in other matches leading to costly mistakes. I don't feel confident, neither does the team I'm sure. Better playing at Centre midfield, with LB alternative role. Good intelligent defender with good interceptions though, with occasional costly mistakes.

Tuanzebe have good potential, rated highly in youth level and the few clips showed that he's good at interceptions and clean tackling, sweeper type seemingly. However, he lacks the physical attributes of EPL defenders, but that could be easily trained so, he's promising, but lack experience. Will improve for sure.

TFM have the physicality already with good pace, but seems to lack self-control. Passion is good, but reckless tackles can be costly. The team doesn't need to reward costly freekicks to opponents especially when we're winning. So, he's risky and lacking exps, but he have good potential. I love his crunching tackles though, and he seems to be a player that likes to bully opponents with his strength and pace. Perhaps better playing in centre midfield or RB. Will improve for sure.
had to look twice.

thought you were the scouser.

agree with our best pairing atm. Bailly-Rojo.

Blind and Smalling will be gone in the summer.

Maccataq

Nice assessment! I'm excited about TFM but think his future might be midfield. I wish Blind would be given a chance in midfield but he just doesn't seem to get a look in. Agree that Rojo and Bailly are good for bullying attackers and I think we all want to see that kind of thing, Bailly clearly has a bright future and Rojo has silenced a lot of critics this season, myself included, and mostly enjoyed Rojo vs Diego Costa recently.

Web of Bissaka

had to look twice.

thought you were the scouser.

agree with our best pairing atm. Bailly-Rojo.

Blind and Smalling will be gone in the summer.
Haha, yeah Newbie here. Before this, I too was being told there was a liverpool supporter in this forum with similar name. If only I could change my username a lil bit:lol:lol nvm.

MrSingh2002

Bailly and Lindelof
Bailly and Rojo
Smalling and Lindelof
Smalling and Rojo
Jones and Lindelof
Jones and Rojo

(Rojo when fit and playing LCB is better for me than Jones and Smalling playing at RCB. I prefer our 3 latest CB signings over Smalling and Jones who should be replaced if we are to sign another centre back. My vote on the one to leave would be Phil Jones at the end of the season if Smalling and Rojo can remain injury free.

We have too many injury prone centre backs and Jones has always been limited, rash and at times a confused headless chicken. He has definately played a big part in the last 8 games of success but I believe Bailly and Smalling would be more reliable in the long run in this team.

I hope we cut Jones in the summer for the next big thing at CB.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think Bailly and Lindelof is potentially our best.

Smalling is needed for the smaller teams that prefer to lump it.

MrSingh2002

I think Bailly and Lindelof is potentially our best.

Smalling is needed for the smaller teams that prefer to lump it.
The way they kept Aubameyang Schtum yesterday was impressive. Lindelof has been great for a while now.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The way they kept Aubameyang Schtum yesterday was impressive. Lindelof has been great for a while now.
Yep, they're modern CB's that work best on the floor with faster/more agile strikers, but we've seen with Lindelof he's getting much better with the big men too.

Bailly needs to play consistently to get some experience but if he plays like he did last night we haven't got any worries. Just needs to keep his legs closed to block crosses.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I wanna see more of Bailly Lindelof

I like both individually, and they paired up very well yesterday

Maccataq

For me it's Lindelof plus one at the moment. Looked good with Bailly yesterday.

Jones has done well at times but feels like a liability at times.

Smalling has been our most dependable CB over the last few years but has his limitations.

Rojo too injury prone, has had some decent spells whilst here but we can do better.

My verdict is bring in a senior CB to lead the back line in the Koulibaly mould and pair with Lindelof. Get rid of Jones and Rojo and then promote Tuanzebe and/or TFM

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Bailly is too much of a headless chicken for me. There's probably a decent defender in there somewhere, but he needs a lot of work. Lindelof and Smalling should be the first choice pairing until it becomes possible to sign the centre back we want.

Lindelof plus new signing
Smalling Bailly
Jones Tuanzebe

Should be what we see next season. Get what we can for Rojo.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Smalling and Lindelof as the other options are all too inconsistent (both in form and in fitness).

In saying that, he rightfully won't walk straight back in if either Bailly or Jones are playing very well in the next couple of games. Chances are it would only be a matter of time until they drop off again though and then Smalling will take the opportunity to re-establish himself as first choice.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Bailly and Lindelof as people have said in terms of ability.

Problem is Lindelof might as well be made of cardboard when he comes up against anyone physical, and Bailly just seems to enjoy being completely insane. Not entirely dissimilar to Phil Jones except Jones looks like he doesn't enjoy it at all.

Canagel

Lindelof and Bailly.
Against hoofball teams Smalling comes back in.
This until the summer.

Then offload Rojo, Jones buy Koulibaly and recall Axel Tuanzebe

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Smalling and Lindelof as the other options are all too inconsistent (both in form and in fitness).

In saying that, he rightfully won't walk straight back in if either Bailly or Jones are playing very well in the next couple of games. Chances are it would only be a matter of time until they drop off again though and then Smalling will take the opportunity to re-establish himself as first choice.
Quite ironic you say that while Smalling is currently out due to injury.

Revan

Assumptionman
Lindelof makes everyone look good. Smalling is definitely the more reliable option, though would like to see a bit more of Bailly. He is a red card walking for no particular reason, but when on song, he is a very good defender.

Revan

Assumptionman
Bailly and Lindelof as people have said in terms of ability.

Problem is Lindelof might as well be made of cardboard when he comes up against anyone physical, and Bailly just seems to enjoy being completely insane. Not entirely dissimilar to Phil Jones except Jones looks like he doesn't enjoy it at all.
Lindelof has won every aerial duel since Ole has been manager (in 8 games) and is winning most of the tackles. Don't think that he is going to get bullied in the future.

He had a reputation about being strong before he came here, so probably him looking like a weakling last year was more a psychological thing rather than a physical one.

Gerald G

Lindelof makes everyone look good. Smalling is definitely the more reliable option, though would like to see a bit more of Bailly. He is a red card walking for no particular reason, but when on song, he is a very good defender.
Pretty much agree with this. I would offload Rojo asap and Jones in the summer. Bring in a new CB and keep Axel. So our CB's can look like: Lindelof, Koulibaly/Skriniar, Smalling, Bailly & Tuanzebe.

Revan

Assumptionman
Pretty much agree with this. I would offload Rojo asap and Jones in the summer. Bring in a new CB and keep Axel. So our CB's can look like: Lindelof, Koulibaly/Skriniar, Smalling, Bailly & Tuanzebe.
Definitely that should be the target. A leader on the back who complements Lindeloff, with Smalling and Bailly being more than adequate backups. Rojo and Jones must be binned, they are neither good nor reliable fitness wise.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Lindelof has won every aerial duel since Ole has been manager (in 8 games) and is winning most of the tackles. Don't think that he is going to get bullied in the future.

He had a reputation about being strong before he came here, so probably him looking like a weakling last year was more a psychological thing rather than a physical one.
Nah I think there's more too it. He isn't a wimp and he can win headers fine. Problem i notice is more that he just gets bundled aside from corners too easily for example, or when trying to position himself to defend a cross. He also doesn't seem to cope will when the more powerful winger types get to run at him. They just seem to almost go through him.

I think it'd be less of a problem if we had better or more balanced defenders around him. At the moment someone like Jones does more to expose or overwork him than compensate.

I mean I'm saying this as a criticism of Lindelof but in the context that I also think he's been our best defender and easily most improved player this season.

RedIan

Lindelof is really finding his feet now and looks solid, he can also play out with the ball at his feet (unlike smalling) and set up attacks. Up until this season i really rated bailly as our best defender but this season under Joses mis-management, aka criticism he seems to have lost confidence - but he cant suddenly become a bad player.. i think there is a lot more to come from him, so for me Lindelof and bailly best pair...

jones and smalling as back up until we can buy better..

rojo i would get rid, sicknote limping that guy. Happy to take his fat salary but never fit to play.

Geelong Devil

It's easy to forget that Lindelof and Bailly are both still only 24. If they can establish themselves as a pairing, they could be there for some time to come.