What's the most 2 teams have played each other in a short space of time?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I'm trying to rack my brain to think of an answer.

Wasn't there a season where Real played for Barca 4 times in about 2 weeks?

I think Liverpool and Chelsea had a period where they played each other a lot too

Anyone else got a better answer?

Pow

Supports
Chelsea

I think Liverpool and Chelsea had a period where they played each other a lot too

Liverpool played arsenal 3 times in a row iirc in 07/08
Cl league cl

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Arsenal and Middlesbrough played each other four times in one month (PL, FA Cup and League cup semi x2) back in 2004.

2008 Arsenal and Liverpool faced each other in the league inbetween two CL ties so three times in a week.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Whilst not in a short space of time
Both last season and 12/13
We played Man Utd 4 times in the season
League x2 league Cup fa Cup.

Edit - actually now I think about it we played 4 times in the 2010/11 when we drew you in the cl too
It's probably happened more often than I thought.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Didn’t we play wolves like 50 times in a week last season exaggeration..Remember being fed up of the sight of them.

Jack-C20

Real and Barca were the first to come to my mind. Surely Celtic and Rangers have had a few games in quick succession towards the end of a season with cup finals and whatnot.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Come to think of it didn't spurs play man City in the league after knocking them out of the cl ?

Moonwalker

Wild guess is that you'll find the best examples in Spain where they used to have a two-legged, mind meltingly dull super cup, until fairly recently.

A-man

2011 Real Madrid- Barca played 4 times in 18 days including CL semis.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Something centred around old-school FA Cup replays with perhaps a league match and/or a League Cup match thrown in for good measure at around the same time?

Found an example of Arsenal playing Sheffield Wednesday 5 times between 6-22 January 1979 all in the FA Cup. Different divisions so no extra league games between the two on top of that.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I wonder if one day the stars will align and one English team faces another ten times in one season?

It's unlikely but possible, would require them to get each other in the Shield and Super cup, an FA Cup tie that goes to replay, league cup semi, CL knockout and ofcourse the two league games.

hungrywing

We and Everton kind of played each other a fair few times in the months immediately following Moyes' move. Although I guess we lost most of those exchanges.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Depends on what you class as a short period of time. I am sure if you're looking back to back then it will be some FA Cup/UEFA Cup tie that went to replays to decide the winner.

However, if you're looking at a couple of years over various ties, Chelsea v Dippees in the mid-00's has to be up there. They seemed to draw each other every year in the FA Cup/League Cup/CL for about 3-4 years. I mean, they even got put in the same CL group in 05-06.

miked99

Rangers and Celtic play each other 47 times a season.

I remember three games in 10 days against Leeds when the rivalry was it's highest in the early 90s. God I hated those vermin.