What's with the water breaks?

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Whos idea was this?
I mean it's not as if its baking hot.
The cynic in me thinks these are being eased in now before the inevitable sponsorship takes over and Sky and co get to ram another load of adds into the coverage in the middle of both halfs.

I dont like it at all.

Raw

Think it's to ease players in after the long break, right? It's fine for the first couple weeks but it'd be pretty ridiculous to have them for the rest of the season.

Zlatattack

It's June. It's likely to be warm. They probably built them. In to prevent dehydration.

TheReligion

Abusive
Understand why they are doing them but really breaks up a team on top. United suffered from this the other night.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
It's mad that they don't even stop the clock for it.

It feels like a lot of time is lost in the 2nd half of games with all the subs and the waterbreak, and goal kicks seem to be taking a lot longer too as keepers have to go and get the ball themselves, but there's no change in the amount of stoppage time being added on.

RUCK4444

Understand why they are doing them but really breaks up a team on top. United suffered from this the other night.
Yeah agree with this, I would never use it as a type of excuse but we definitely lost momentum as the dominant team.

How its not added on to extra time I will never know.

Is this just during the Covid comeback period? This along with VAR and I think I would have to entertain watching Rugby instead :(

TheReligion

Abusive
Yeah agree with this, I would never use it as a type of excuse but we definitely lost momentum as the dominant team.

How its not added on to extra time I will never know.

Is this just during the Covid comeback period? This along with VAR and I think I would have to entertain watching Rugby instead :(
Yeah temporary rule change

Wayne's World

There's no need for it at all....I can understand once it's past 30 degrees but it's not exactly scorching in England right now

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Neville just made me laugh “I respect the sports science side of things, but I gotta be honest... I hate it”.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Whos idea was this?
I mean it's not as if its baking hot.
The cynic in me thinks these are being eased in now before the inevitable sponsorship takes over and Sky and co get to ram another load of adds into the coverage in the middle of both halfs.

I dont like it at all.
Yeah I feel like that's where it is going to end up aswell.

BarlowMoorRed

Assumed it was to prevent the sharing of water bottles due to COVID. Rather than having water bottles at the side of the pitch and available for “sharing”, they have dedicated breaks where they can grab a bottle each?

Just my presumption - may well be wrong!!

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It's mad that they don't even stop the clock for it.

It feels like a lot of time is lost in the 2nd half of games with all the subs and the waterbreak, and goal kicks seem to be taking a lot longer too as keepers have to go and get the ball themselves, but there's no change in the amount of stoppage time being added on.
I like that goalkeepers have to get the ball. It’s a reminder that DeGea has working legs

fps

They can’t run around for 45 minutes without needing a break? Just how precious are we meant to think these players are now, they’re not all Gareth Bale.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
In the Chelsea Villa game earlier, the Villa manager used it to give a 3 and a half minute team talk. 3 minutes were added on after the 45mins were up. It's just going to be used as a time wasting ploy by players and managers.

McGrathsipan

Cheers. Thank feck. Slowly the game seemed to be changing past all recognition.

Imagine they did phase it in for advertisers as another poster mentioned above! I would be livid.
Wouldn't surprise me.

Time outs next

luke511

Is this for the first gameweek only in the Prem or is it going to be used for the rest of the season? The waterbreak killed our momentum in both halves vs Tottenham.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
When they were planning the restart for June/July I could understand them expecting hotter weather and water breaks being mooted as a fix for that. What I don't get is the blanket implementation of them. Why not let a decision be made before kick off.

McGrathsipan

You wait and see sky getting ads in there.
It will happen like the quick adds in between boxing rounds and televised darts with big audiences.

Its nearly totally turned into "soccer" with 4 quarters.

Brightonian

The ref should make a decision with the coaches before the game to take or not take them, based on the weather conditions. In baking heat, sure. But I don't see any real point in cooler weather, and especially not in pouring rain.