Wheeler: Rashford faces contract dilemma at Man United

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Same journo who did the players are upset leaving at 5pm and 17 are unhappy stories, no?

hobbers

Doesn't need a new contract nor deserve one. He's got 2.5 years left.

Jacob

He shouldn't expect a 200k a week extention by default. Pay cut or sell.

RedDevil@84

Journos at it again. There is nothing to say that Rashford is looking at an improved contract or has demanded a new one.

Journalists love mud slinging at United and its players all the time.

Idxomer

That guy Wheeler seems to be a bit of an opportunist, I don't know why people have started to take his words so seriously.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Don't you think he deserves a new and improved contract considering all the good he's done off the pitch?

That guy Wheeler seems to be a bit of an opportunist, I don't know why people have started to take his words so seriously.
I think he had one or two things that proved to be ahead of the curve, so he got a bit of spotlight.

There has been some talk that Barcelona have, in the past, reached out to Marcus. Andy Mitten's spoken about this on pods. I'm sure people in his 'camp' are aware of interest and some may be thinking about whether he should quit United.

Also, if United are serious then with 3 years on his deal they should be thinking about what happens next with Marcus. They can't keep letting players drift into the last two years of their deals, thinking that things will just resolve themselves.

Also, if United are serious then with 3 years on his deal they should be thinking about what happens next with Marcus. They can't keep letting players drift into the last two years of their deals, thinking that things will just resolve themselves.
This is the important part for me....for any player at the club.

We need to stop 'value retention' contracts (Axel and Bailly recently, countless in the past), need to either commit to a player or sell them - not our current method of running down contracts to their last 2 years before starting negotiations (Pogba and Lingard) and we really need to start suckering other teams into buying our players in the hype instead of being the suckers (Henderson, Axel, Lingard after the loan spell, throw a new contract at Martial after a good 2 months.)

I think Rashford's going to end up in category 2 or 3.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

We need to stop 'value retention' contracts (Axel and Bailly recently, countless in the past), need to either commit to a player or sell them - not our current method of running down contracts to their last 2 years before starting negotiations (Pogba and Lingard) and we really need to start suckering other teams into buying our players in the hype instead of being the suckers (Henderson, Axel, Lingard after the loan spell, throw a new contract at Martial after a good 2 months.)

The feck is category 2 or 3??

Gandalf

Looks very much like the contract extensions are largely on hold for now outside of the academy with those expiring this year being allowed to leave or in some cases choosing not to renew. The 6 month interim period for Ralf followed by the consultancy role seems to be in part to address the state of the squad and then make long term decisions in the summer when the permanent appointment is made.

I would guess Marcus will be in the plans of whomever we appoint as when he is fit and in form he is definitely an asset and he still should have his best years ahead of him but I would hope that if for some reason we are inclined to move on then we get on with shopping him around this summer when he still has 2 years remaining and can reasonably be expected to command a decent fee.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Just the nearly 3 years on his contract then… terrible article
Where are you getting this from? Both the article and transfermarkt says he has 18 months left. Transfermarkt says it expires in June 2023.

edit: Man Utd website says the same, but there’s the option to extend for a year.

hobbers

Don't you think he deserves a new and improved contract considering all the good he's done off the pitch?
Only if it's for a career shift to working for the United Foundation.

Where are you getting this from? Both the article and transfermarkt says he has 18 months left. Transfermarkt says it expires in June 2023.

edit: Man Utd website says the same, but there’s the option to extend for a year.
So in other words 2.5 years.

Same situation we're always in be it Martial, De Gea, Ole... no one is going to offer Rashford anywhere close to what he's earning now in the next 18 months. Probably not even half what he's earning now. There's zero need to offer him a penny more.

Gopher Brown

The sensible way to do contracts is to offer when there are 2 years left and then sell if they reject or don’t want to negotiate. We’re not sensible though.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Regardless, 2.5 years is an appropriate time to start the conversation.

Remember all the moaning when Ander Herrera’s contract was only started to negotiate with 18 months remaining and he sat it out for a year and signed a pre-contract with PSG?

0le

Wheeler dealer writing articles only Del Boy would read.

100%.

At the moment there's no strategy. Things are just allowed to drift.

We are where we are today, partly because nobody at the club has given any thought to squad building. We just keep players who want to stay, regardless of whether that's for good or bad reasons. Nobody is thinking we need to do X to get to Y outcome. Its just lets just see where we end up then try and get a coach who can make sense of the madness.

Blood Mage

Would be quite happy to see Rashford leave. Absolute nothing player whom we refuse to drop out of sentimentality.

AussieDevil

The issue is he shouldn't be on 200k, but the moment you offer him less he will be out the door. If the club doesnt want him then they should sell now.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
If we had any clue as a club we'd sell him this summer, it's going to be obvious that his contract will be run down and it's either let him leave for free or give him 350k a week - just cash in,it's probably the best for both parties anyway, Rashford for all his promise as become stale here.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Poor form (/career stalling in Rashford's head) + 18 months left on contract = dilemna whether to renew £250k+ per week with boyhood club.