When are we going to start judging our players more realistically?

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
Just posting my first thread ever here, so sorry if something like this already exists.

Also, sorry if it comes off a bit pointless to claim something like this in Manchester United forum. But I have a serious problem reading certain topics in terms of how we judge over players.

I've mentioned it in match day thread against Newcastle too, only couple of days ago in the race for top four thread, people actually claimed we have best or second best first eleven, and only at the squad level there is difference which makes our opponents that much stronger than us.

I tend to see myself as a bit more objective, because United is not the only team I support, and I usually don't have rose-tinted glasses when watching the games, but I may be wrong of course.

The thing is, I don't see our squad/first eleven as anything better than top four finish. De Gea, Maguire, Wan Bissaka/Dalot, McTominay, Fred, Rashford are really not top players, and they are first eleven. I won't get into judgement of others, possibly there are more than just them, but there is five positions that we should aim to fill with much better players.

Rashford was compared to Mbappe here few years ago. Of course, we are fans and there has to be some amount of whishful thinking. Also, it is easy for me to just act as a smartass in hindsight, but I don't think he ever warranted such comparisons.

Another one that isn't performing even close to the level that he is expected is Greenwood. Yes, he is great talent, but on this season's form and role, he may one day turn into new Rashford.

Third time sorry for posting this :lol: May be just a post-match rant after watching that crap. But I really think we aren't judging them realistically which in turns creates incredible level of expectations, which these players simply can't meet.

Abraxas

I think they are judged realistically. They are being judged against making the top 4, not winning a title. That ship sailed long ago and I think that is widely accepted. The Norwich and Newcastle performances weren't top 4 standard that is for sure. There is rightly some concern and criticism for that.

I don't think anyone reasonable believes this is a title challenging squad of players anymore, but they are certainly able to compare for 4th. There is going to be some significant change to come. Some senior players will be leaving, a lot of wages are going to be freed up, and a new manager is coming in. Then we can reassess.

But at the moment we are a long way from a title challenge, that is just common sense. Which also implies that individuals are a long way off title challenging quality and some are simply not that good and are anything from 4th-10th in the league standard. We've got to figure out the ones that can be relied upon, the ones that have potential, and that's RR and the new managers job.

AndySmith1990

I think the general problem is the way people (on the whole) rate players is too simplistic, and far too heavily weighted towards skill/flair. What it doesn't take into account is critical attributes such as intelligence, work ethic, mental strength. If we were to rate our players solely on their intelligence and mentality you'd have to say our players are incredibly poor.

Their work rate is shocking too, but I blame that on the rookie manager who let them do as they pleased.

tomaldinho1

Player ratings change like the direction of the wind, one or two good games and someone is amazing.

I think we rate players based on what we’ve seen them do: every single one under performed today individually and as a team. McT was ok actually in fairness and DDG.

Dominos

We've been a top 4 teams two seasons in a row despite having a terrible manager. We've added the likes of Bruno Cavani VDB Sancho Varane and Ronaldo.

And now we're getting battered by Norwich and Newcastle who will be in the championship next season. You cannot convince me what we see on the pitch is reflecting the quality of the squad, there must be something else going wrong. We look Sunday league level every game we play.

arthurka

This group is spineless and rotten to the core. Posers and Instagram heroes, Ralf sure has his work cut out for him. This club is in real trouble.