When did you lose all faith in Moyes?

When did you completely lose faith in Moyes?

• Never wanted him

Votes: 109 28.6%
  • End of the summer transfet window

Votes: 9 2.4%
  • Man City

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • WBA

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Everton

Votes: 16 4.2%
  • Newcastle

Votes: 16 4.2%
  • Tottenham (H)

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • Sunderland (H)

Votes: 12 3.1%
  • Swansea (FA Cup)

Votes: 11 2.9%
  • Stoke (A)

Votes: 19 5.0%
  • Fulham (H)

Votes: 64 16.8%
  • Olympiacos (A)

Votes: 63 16.5%
  • Still support him

Votes: 39 10.2%
  • Other ( please specify)

Votes: 10 2.6%

• Total voters

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
There is currently a thread with this title in the Newbies, thought it would be interesting to hear what the mains think, as a recent poll showed that the majority of posters are against Moyes.

So, the question is: What was the exact moment you lost all faith in the current manager?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I always had faith in him and he didn't disappointed me ever since

He's a great EPL mid table type of manager

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Olympiacos really

One of the worst and most disappointing games I've ever seen United play. Absolutely nothing there.

I still support him, just, but that game was indefensible and it's becoming pretty hard to continue making excuses for him.

Bestie07

It comes and goes. I genuinely believed after the Palace game that he might have finally learned and then he went and started those three against Olympiakos. Bear in mind we weren't particularly good against Palace either but the team selection was spot on. I'd say the line-up on Tuesday was the final straw. When every random fan in the world could have predicted that it would not work, then why did the manager not see that.

kundalini

When he said that we needed to bring in 4 starters after the defeat to Man City. At that point in time there were about 10 players who had yet to start a competitive match under Moyes. It was clear then that he had little faith in a title winning squad; which says more about him than them.

Last edited:

mic.m

likes to be nude when popping out baked brownies
The Etihad performance and team selection/tactics were shocking. But we've struggled at City in the last few seasons so I wasn't too pissed off. It was when we lost games at home to Newcastle, Everton that I decided Moyes was an idiot.

Kaos

Never wanted him but was willing to back him because...well Fergie said so.

Fulham was the last straw for me, at that point I submitted that it couldn't have been bad luck or injuries.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
Olympiakos, sadly. The pre-match interview when he said we'd try and keep compact and nick a goal, followed by the performance was the straw that has broken this camel's back.

buckooo1978

Fulham planted the seed

Olympiakos poured the fertiliser on!!!

who knows maybe Moyes will get the lawnmover out for the return leg.....imagine an electric atmosphere at Old Trafford....a 4-0 win - it could ignite our last couple of months

Liverpool were seconds from being eliminated against Olympiakos in 2005 CL win

its very achievable and we need to play that return leg like our lives depend on it

I suppose I haven't lost faith after all......

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I really started to lose enthusiasm after the Spurs defeat. We just looked so poor, like we had after defeats to Everton, Newcastle and the rest, but we looked as if we weren't learning from them. Then Stoke, Fulham, Sunderland and Olympiacos have just added to them further. Despite not being my choice, i always backed him, but the constant feeling of treading water is growing old. We don't look like we're progressing at all, and the players seem to have given up.

MoskvaRed

Tuesday was the point of no return for me - both the team selection and performance encapsulated the frustrations of the last 7-8 months. The best description I've seen was Barney Ronay's - "a cheap imitation of a pragmatic European away performance".

johnmufc

I knew from the moment it was announced that he was the wrong man for the job. However, I did not turn against him until later in the summer. Moyes embarrasses this club with each and every interaction with the media he has, but I knew I could not support this man when I heard his derogatory and clueless comments on Rooney during the summer. I was ridiculed for posting against Moyes at the time, but yet again I was correct, before 99% of others. Moyes has handled the players disgracefully, questioning the quality of the collective squad and individual players as he did with Rooney in the summer. It's sickening that he publicly slates the players when he is unquestionably the luckiest man in football, allowed to work with such a talented group of players despite having nothing near the record as a manager which should have merited the job. And the way he just freezes out and alienates certain players without giving them a chance, painful.

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Still support him. If we're still crap come December then I'll re-evaluate my opinion.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Doubted his appointment from day one but was reluctant to call for his sacking.

The Olympiakos game really put me firmly in the 'he has to go' camp. Mainly because he showed that he has learned nothing so far. He put up the same negative tactics and crap lineup that's been expected in most big games despite playing the weakest team in the last 16 of the UCL.

As the season has progressed and the results gotten worse he's shown no willingness to change anything and has gotten even more stubborn with his shit tactics.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Fulham.

When he had Van Persie, Rooney, Mata, Januzaj and Carrick all availible to him and he didn't have a clue how to use them or how to change it up and make something happen.

Tactics: Play it wide, get to the byline and cross it in. By the 60th minute he decided it wasn't working, his anwser wasn't to change tactics, just throw on more players who can get to the byline and cross.

It says to me, it doesn't matter who he buys in the summer he's not going to have the intelligence to get the most out of them. He's a midtable manager, with midtable tactics. Setting up to "get something out of the game" is all he knows how to do and when you have a team of superstars they are completely unable to buy into that mentality. They are used to being the ones people set up to "get something out of the game" from and mentally and tactically that is completely different for them.

Siorac

Fulham. That was just pure, utter insanity. Olympiakos was the icing on the turdcake.

Acquire Me

He need to resign now. With him, we are poor as f**k. Will the guy ever be able to be great for us? I mean, he should do better with our current squad?

Revan

Assumptionman
Never wanted him.

However I would have been relatively happy with him for a few years (3-5) without an important trophy as long as we would have qualified regularly for UCL, play decent football and show signs of improvement. We aren't qualifying for UCL, we are playing by far the worst football I have ever seen and actually there are only signs of regress.

Anyway, I think that I was totally convinced that he is the wrong man after the Newcastle game when we needed to see a reaction, but instead we made it difficult (and only lose by 1 goal) for them in OT. However I wanted to see him finish the season because we still had a chance for the fourth place (despite I wasn't convinced that we may get it). That run of four vicotires in December looked promising but then Moyes decided to undo that, change again the system and restart playing Young and co. I strarted to call for his immediate sack after the Sunderland game. Losing at home against Spurs was bad, against Swansea was terrible and then losing the third game in a row made it completely un-acceptable. Since then we have actually become even worse. Ironically I didn't feel that bad after Fulham/Olympiacos fiascos because now I only expect bad things to happen.

So my story is: the horror when he was hired, then the delusion aka 'Fergie is always right' until September, then 'we are doing shit and Moyes is doing bad but as long as we get fourth is alright' until December, then 'I am not calling for his sack but I will be delighted if he gets the sack' and finally 'sack the motherfecker and I hope he never gets any job, I hope I never see him again in the camera' for the last 2 months.

Ainu

The Fulham game nearly destroyed all my faith in him, but I still needed a final confirmation. Against Palace I had a glimmer of hope again but that delayed confirmation eventually arrived on Tuesday. I've not got the slightest bit of faith in this man's ability left after the horror show on all fronts against Olympiacos. If he ever manages to achieve any sort of success at United, I'll consider that a miracle. But I gave up hoping for improvement.

Tomalonge

Well most United fans 'support' him and hope he can turn it around.
I wouldn't say most, some definitely are. Most are just looking for their next excuse to slag him off and go over the top about it, unfortunately at the moment he's giving them a lot of ammunition.

Some of the things that have been said about him have been absolutely disgusting.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Olympiacos.

- CL was the last competition we were performing semi-well in. He killed that glimmer of hope, ruthlessly.
- He showed that even 7 months after he took the job, he still showed complete lack of creativity.
- He gave up in the game.
- The players gave up in the game.
- Everybody in the club (including the players and Moyes himself) had that look on their faces of "not knowing what to do". I only saw that look on Fergie's face when we met Barcelona in the CL final. Having that look against Olympiacos though is an alarming sign.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Well most United fans 'support' him and hope he can turn it around.

I have lost faith that he can actually do that though.
Most United fans "support" the team and will continue to do so whatever happens. "Supporting" Moyes is a completely different thing all together. Ir requires completely blind faith as there is absolutely no evidence to suggest he will be successful here. He doesn't have the CV to suggest it and he hasn't done anything to suggest it since he has been here. In fact all he has done is confirm time and time again on all fronts that he does not have what it takes.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I never wanted him, but once appointed I supported him (so needs to be a multiple vote). Sunderland at Home was my tipping point, already out of the FA Cup, struggle to get Top 4, unlikely to get too much further in the CL. The league cup was our only real chance of winning any silverware this season. His substitutions that game and the performance by our players was enough for me to know that Dave has no future at the club. He just doesn't have the will to win. That instinct to go for broke is missing and therefore he'll never become a United manager. It was the main concern I had before he was appointed at United and he's given me no assurances that I was wrong in that assessment, quite the opposite in fact.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Stoke, for me anyway. I just watched him stand clueless on the sideline as we fell to an inevitable defeat. He just seemed so helpless.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I never wanted him, but once appointed I supported him (so needs to be a multiple vote). Sunderland at Home was my tipping point, already out of the FA Cup, struggle to get Top 4, unlikely to get too much further in the CL. The league cup was our only real chance of winning any silverware this season. His substitutions that game and the performance by our players was enough for me to know that Dave has no future at the club. He just doesn't have the will to win. That instinct to go for broke is missing and therefore he'll never become a United manager. It was the main concern I had before he was appointed at United and he's given me no assurances that I was wrong in that assessment, quite the opposite in fact.

I think this lack of this "go for broke" attitude doesn't just come down to his instincts, I think it comes down to his fear of losing his job. On Tuesday night at 2-0 down, if he'd have thrown everyone forward to get a goal and we conceded a goal or two and lost 3-0 or 4-0 to them, I think it would be a very real possibility that he would be sacked. As it is, he held on at 2-0 and has the chance to take them back to Old Trafford.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I wouldn't say most, some definitely are. Most are just looking for their next excuse to slag him off and go over the top about it, unfortunately at the moment he's giving them a lot of ammunition.
This is such an incredibly weird opinion. It's like you think people have something personally against Moyes and actively want him to fail. It couldn't possible be that people want United to succeed but don't see Moyes doing it, and have given up on him.

Gannicus

Upon hearing the news of his appointment I was excited although a bit disappointed it wasn't Jose. But as he bumbled his way through the transfer window I witnessed a man paralyzed by indecision and fear and a lack of charisma, the ability to inspire confidence and build cohesion and purpose into a squad of elite professional athletes to compete for trophies.

Nothing that has taken place since the end of the summer transfer window has caused me to reconsider my judgment in late August that Moyes is completely out of his depth to be manager of Manchester United. The pile of evidence to support my judgment only becomes more overwhelming week after week.

humdinger

Sunderland for me. Couldn't believe we put in such a poor display over two legs against a team struggling so badly.

Amir

Newcastle.

Until then I was hopeful of a turnaround, but in early December I went to England for three matches. The first was the Everton defeat, then the Newcastle game. And then it just hit me, how awful we were - and that was after a bright spell. I also felt the crowd die a little after Newcastle scored - and I was sat not too far away from the Stretford End.

Funnily enough, I suppose a lot of match going fans are still hopeful he can change things for the better. For me it was going to three matches which set my mind.

hungrywing

Rio/line-up gate. It was a double-take inducing indicator that Moyes' team weren't doing one basic thing required in running a club with a big squad.

It explains everything, from the frozen out players to the abrupt lineup changes that leave everyone howling.

Bestie07

Some of the things that have been said about him have been absolutely disgusting.
Nothing would please most United fans more than the manager chosen by Ferguson to go and have a successful spell here. I watch each game hoping that this would be the one where we finally turn it around, as I will watch the next one. However, it's becoming clearer by the day that it is not going to happen. There are some looking for excuses, but most fans have by and large come to conclusion that this person is probably not going to take us back up the table based on the evidence that we've had so far.