When did you realise that, actually, we're not a unique club?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
Was it when David Moyes took over and you saw that the man before him was not going to be there 'always'?

Or maybe was it when the same David Moyes was sacked and those bollocks about trusting your own managaer and the belief we should have in someone like him was just an nice expression which our club wanted to present after the great man left?

Or maybe was it when Louis van Gaal's team played the most boring football and you felt it's no our way?

Or maybe it was when Jose Mourinho became our manager and you saw that we don't have any 'rule', but we simply brought the best man available?

Or maybe when we made some really expensive transfers showing others that it's not a "Class of 92 only" club anymore? (As some of you still think in 2017.)

Or maybe when you saw that we can't really say anything good about our Academy or Reserves anymore? Which is different from, for example, five years ago?

Or maybe when you started to feel that it's not the United which give chance to their youth players anymore, as Jose Mourinho got the job to bring some trophies back and he doesn't care as he's not going to spend the rest of his career at Old Trafford?

Or maybe was it when you saw Ed Woodward doing strange things after taking over which resulted in us being a really shite laughing stock at one point?

Or maybe when they started to treat our club as a product? And when they focus more on new sponsorship deals rather than their fans?

Or maybe was it when you saw Lingard getting his new (£100,000 a week) deal?

Or maybe when we bought Pogba (back) for a lot of money and we always thought that we're special enough to use our money, but never to think that we would break the world record transfer fee?

Or maybe when we got Lukaku for so much when there must have been chances to get him cheaper seasons before that?

There could be many, many different examples, and I believe that you're going to present your own expressions. When did you started to feel that it's not the same as you used to think? Because, you can't agree, there is this word "unique" (or "special") which is used quite frequently by many of you when we discuss about different matters concerning United. To be fair, I hate it, because every supporter thinks something like that about his or her club, so it's just something unnecessary for (some of) you to write. Especially that - as some of the examples written by me shows - we're not that unique (at least anymore).

What's your choice? What's your opinion?

For me, it's something with money. I don't like that we joined that crazy world of huge transfer fees last season (yeah, I know that comparing to Neymar it wasn't much, but you get my point) and I don't like that Ed Woodward has used the club in a really unfriendly towards the fans way. I know it's been something like that for a long time, especially since Glazers, but - believe me - now, not only match going fans can feel it. And I know that the times have changed. I just don't like the fact that we have a sponsor for everything. We have the Official Pharmaceutical Partner of Manchester United for Korea and Vietnam, we also have the Official Coffee Partner of Manchester United for UK, Ireland and Germany. There are many strange "official partners" for us, actually. We have a fecking Official Global Mattress and Pillow Partner, too.

Discuss.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I think it's probably when SAF stepped down - as inevitable as it was that "change" was coming. It's probably a big part of the reason why I was "hopeful" when Moyes was appointed and it is, what I can assume, probably part of the reason a lot of fans wanted Giggs appointed - to give us that bit of romanticism, which we thought made us different.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Or maybe I never did

Or maybe I always knew

I guess we’ll never know

manc exile

Supports
City
Was it when David Moyes took over and you saw that the man before him was not going to be there 'always'?

Or maybe was it when the same David Moyes was sacked and those bollocks about trusting your own managaer and the belief we should have in someone like him was just an nice expression which our club wanted to present after the great man left?

Or maybe was it when Louis van Gaal's team played the most boring football and you felt it's no our way?

Or maybe it was when Jose Mourinho became our manager and you saw that we don't have any 'rule', but we simply brought the best man available?

Or maybe when we made some really expensive transfers showing others that it's not a "Class of 92 only" club anymore? (As some of you still think in 2017.)

Or maybe when you saw that we can't really say anything good about our Academy or Reserves anymore? Which is different from, for example, five years ago?

Or maybe when you started to feel that it's not the United which give chance to their youth players anymore, as Jose Mourinho got the job to bring some trophies back and he doesn't care as he's not going to spend the rest of his career at Old Trafford?

Or maybe was it when you saw Ed Woodward doing strange things after taking over which resulted in us being a really shite laughing stock at one point?

Or maybe when they started to treat our club as a product? And when they focus more on new sponsorship deals rather than their fans?

Or maybe was it when you saw Lingard getting his new (£100,000 a week) deal?

Or maybe when we bought Pogba (back) for a lot of money and we always thought that we're special enough to use our money, but never to think that we would break the world record transfer fee?

Or maybe when we got Lukaku for so much when there must have been chances to get him cheaper seasons before that?

There could be many, many different examples, and I believe that you're going to present your own expressions. When did you started to feel that it's not the same as you used to think? Because, you can't agree, there is this word "unique" (or "special") which is used quite frequently by many of you when we discuss about different matters concerning United. To be fair, I hate it, because every supporter thinks something like that about his or her club, so it's just something unnecessary for (some of) you to write. Especially that - as some of the examples written by me shows - we're not that unique (at least anymore).

What's your choice? What's your opinion?

For me, it's something with money. I don't like that we joined that crazy world of huge transfer fees last season (yeah, I know that comparing to Neymar it wasn't much, but you get my point) and I don't like that Ed Woodward has used the club in a really unfriendly towards the fans way. I know it's been something like that for a long time, especially since Glazers, but - believe me - now, not only match going fans can feel it. And I know that the times have changed. I just don't like the fact that we have a sponsor for everything. We have the Official Pharmaceutical Partner of Manchester United for Korea and Vietnam, we also have the Official Coffee Partner of Manchester United for UK, Ireland and Germany. There are many strange "official partners" for us, actually. We have a fecking Official Global Mattress and Pillow Partner, too.

Discuss.

I have no idea where to begin, but I will give it a go.

United are a unique club.
To each of our fans we are unique. We love Manchester United and no other club. We love our history and our story and it is unique to us. The memories and joy and sadness and heartbreak and laughter and camaraderie and love we feel are unique to us.
They are also traits that are unique to the fans of other clubs with regards to their club.
All clubs are unique to their fans.

What you seem to be saying is that you thought that United were unique in some other way and you have realised we are not. I am not sure why you believed this in the first place.
So in answer to your question, never because I never thought we were unique in the way you suggest you did.

Maciej

I have no idea where to begin, but I will give it a go.

United are a unique club.
To each of our fans we are unique. We love Manchester United and no other club. We love our history and our story and it is unique to us. The memories and joy and sadness and heartbreak and laughter and camaraderie and love we feel are unique to us.
They are also traits that are unique to the fans of other clubs with regards to their club.
All clubs are unique to their fans.

What you seem to be saying is that you thought that United were unique in some other way and you have realised we are not. I am not sure why you believed this in the first place.
So in answer to your question, never because I never thought we were unique in the way you suggest you did.
If all the fans think that their clubs are unique... you know there can't be all unique clubs.

Yes, for every supporter, the club is unique, because they have their own story, but in general, it's not true, and you know it.

manc exile

Supports
City
If all the fans think that their clubs are unique... you know there can't be all unique clubs.

Yes, for every supporter, the club is unique, because they have their own story, but in general, it's not true, and you know it.

Thats my whole point.
I am saying that no club is unique in the way the OP seems to suggest united used to be and no longer are.

Maciej

Thats my whole point.
I am saying that no club is unique in the way the OP seems to suggest united used to be and no longer are.
Okay, we agree. But now let's move to the point that, in general, United are not unique. Because - and you have to admit that - there used to be that feeling among our fans.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Never really questioned it. Anyone who thinks their club is unique is a bit naive imo. However I always thought it was strange how we seem to permanently hold elite club status, or even the status as the elite club in the world when we've won comparatively little compared to the rest of the European big guns. Madrid have 12 champions leagues, Milan 7, Barcelona, Bayern and Liverpool 5, Ajax 4, and even Inter have 3. But we seem to sit alongside Real with only a quarter of their European titles. I know it isn't just about trophies but it's still a point I always found odd. If anything I can't understand why we are considered so unique. Maybe Fergie and Busby?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
About the time I stopped believing in Santa.

freeurmind

weak willed
When the Glazers bought the club, started taking money out of the club, using the clubs profits to pay their debts and hiked ticket prices.

Treble

United have turned into a giant money-making machine. Which would be nice if the money power was translated into sublime football like it has been the case at Madrid, Barca and Bayern in recent years. The discrepancy between the financial power of the club and the quality of football over the last years has been staggering. And the decline has started already with Ronaldo's sell to Madrid and his replacement with Valencia and Owen. That was senile from the great man. The level of incompetence in football matters after Fergie has been astonishing. Woodward is a great businessman but he is out of his depth when it comes to footballing quastions. Cycles in football are a natural thing though. Madrid and Barca have had their obsucure years as well.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Not sound logic.

manc exile

Supports
City
Okay, we agree. But now let's move to the point that, in general, United are not unique. Because - and you have to admit that - there used to be that feeling among our fans.
honestly, not my experience of fans, especially local fans.
I can see that narrative was pushed by the club (as most clubs do) and I can see it was pushed heavily by the media, especially sky to sell the premier league into new markets. Our recent period of success coincided with the start of the premier league, so we were their obvious choice for Sky and the Premier league to use for that purpose.

Therefore lots more of fans post premier league (both local and from further afield) bought into that propaganda. The thinking that we are no longer special on the part of some of our fans, as expressed by the OP, I think is more about recognising that false narrative.

I personally have no issue with the false narrative, in fact I applaud it. It allowed us to become among the richest teams on the planet and that financial strength allowed Fergie to realise his potential as the best manager and win us lots of lots of trophies. I do think it has perhaps outlived its usefulness as other models of financing a club arecoming to the fore (whether we agree with them or not) and we probably need another strategy to maintain and grow us as a club if we want to compete into the future.

Last edited:

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
Oh come off it.

Manchester United will always be unique. We have too much history to fall into a normal club status.

Fact is you’re moaning because we’re not the number one team in England anymore in terms of performances.

If oil barons stayed away from football we would still be winning the league every/most seasons. Money has changed the game and we’re trying to play keep up.

Throughout Fergie’s reign there wasn’t really established clubs with endless pits of money (maybe Chelsea - but they have never had the investment of clubs like City or PSG, at least not like we are seeing now).

I’m not sure what we can do at this moment in time to try and get back to the top - city are literally the definition of buying the league. Money has really ruined the game for me recently. Money which isn’t earned by the club at least. It’s over a hundred years of hard work by our club just being pushed aside by billionaires with their play things.

Seveneric

Once Fergie left.

His longevity and continued success was pretty much one of the only unique things United had going for it in relation to other big clubs

Rory 7

What a silly thread. The simple fact that United are the biggest club in Britain makes United unique. 20 times make United unique. The treble makes Unites unique. Wise up boyo.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
By unique you mean romanticism? when some of the romanticism of the club died? or by unique do you mean some entitled belief that we should always be no.1 and winning things?

I never thought the latter, I would say a lot of romanticism in my head ended when we were dicked by Barca in the first CL final.

manc exile

Supports
City
What a silly thread. The simple fact that United are the biggest club in Britain makes United unique. 20 times make United unique. The treble makes Unites unique. Wise up boyo.

prior to 2013 we were less unique? (the year of our 20th league title)
prior to 1999 we were less unique? (the year of the treble)
prior to WW2 we were less unique? (not sure when we became the biggest club in britain but we definately were not before world war 2.

do we become less unique when those records are surpassed by other teams?

your argument seems to have flaws.

Our emotional attachment to those three events/facts makes united unique to us, not all football fans

GBBQ

So many of those things you mentioned are temporary, what makes United unique is our history (both tragic and glorious) and the records we set and that can't be changed.

Rory 7

prior to 2013 we were less unique? (the year of our 20th league title)
prior to 1999 we were less unique? (the year of the treble)
prior to WW2 we were less unique? (not sure when we became the biggest club in britain but we definately were not before world war 2.

your argument seems to have flaws.

Our emotional attachment to those three events/facts makes united unique to us, not all football fans
Bollox. We are uniquely the biggest club in Britain. Have been for years. We’ve been unique long before the likes of you and me were around. Argument has flaws? This thread has flaws!

manc exile

Supports
City
By unique you mean romanticism? when some of the romanticism of the club died? or by unique do you mean some entitled belief that we should always be no.1 and winning things?

I never thought the latter, I would say a lot of romanticism in my head ended when we were dicked by Barca in the first CL final.

I think we are very different people. The shared grief builds the attachement and love of the club as much as the shared success.

manc exile

Supports
City
Bollox. We are uniquely the biggest club in Britain. Have been for years. We’ve been unique long before the likes of you and me were around. Argument has flaws? This thread has flaws!

But we were not always the biggest club in Britain and its unlikely we will remain the biggest club in Britain forever.

so how is it bollox?

Oscie

I feel like the penis between the two opposing bollocks of 'we're just like every other club because we got dicked by Barcelona' and 'we're unique because we've won 20 titles!'

Both arguments are fairly ridiculous. If I may say so it's a fairly childish concept, isn't it? My club's more unique than your club because I've decided what makes a club unique is 20 league titles.

GazTheLegend

Manchester United are still a unique club.

Look - if you ask any chairman, player, or manager of any lower division club the name of the the club they’re hoping to get in any league or FA cup draw, they’ll always name Manchester United.

when our name comes up in the various draws it’s us.

When anyone plays us it’s clear as day that they raise their game, so that “aura” is still there.

We’re not like any other club. Even now, post-Fergie. The history and tradition of the club are what made me a United supporter in the first place and you can’t buy that.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
I think we are very different people. The shared grief builds the attachement and love of the club as much as the shared success.
I probably didn't explain that well, It didn't make me love the club any less, it was more... the 3 CL finals prior, there was always a bit of magic about how we won them, in my little head I harboured a romantic view of us in Europe.

Just that aspect of us & " that bit of magic" died in that non-performance defeat.

RedStrudel76

Never really questioned it. Anyone who thinks their club is unique is a bit naive imo. However I always thought it was strange how we seem to permanently hold elite club status, or even the status as the elite club in the world when we've won comparatively little compared to the rest of the European big guns. Madrid have 12 champions leagues, Milan 7, Barcelona, Bayern and Liverpool 5, Ajax 4, and even Inter have 3. But we seem to sit alongside Real with only a quarter of their European titles. I know it isn't just about trophies but it's still a point I always found odd. If anything I can't understand why we are considered so unique. Maybe Fergie and Busby?
This. Other teams and fans across from our European Friends and neighbours must be laughing their heads off when we try to claim Manchester United is unique and has a history to match the great Real Madrid etc.

We have a colourful history, with Munich and the rebirth, class of 92 kiss etc, but nowadays we are just a business-first run club like everywhere else. An also-ran in the fight for trophies - Just Another Club.

manc exile

Supports
City
I probably didn't explain that well, It didn't make me love the club any less, it was more... the 3 CL finals prior, there was always a bit of magic about how we won them, in my little head I harboured a romantic view of us in Europe.

Just that aspect of us & " that bit of magic" died in that non-performance defeat.

Even though you have explained it better, I still disagree.
The defeat, even if it was a non performance did nothing to "that bit of magic" of us in europe
Playing in Europe (or any major competition) is still as magical for me.

Oscie

I still don't get why so many fans seem to think all that matters is that one club won more of one thing than another club. I've never understood why so many people seem to place so much stock in things like that. My club wouldn't be any less special or unique if you knocked off a few of the trophies we accumulated in the decades before I was born. Equally I don't love my club more or think it's unique and special because of our title winning side of 1911.

Whole thing seems completely alien to me how some can be so perfunctory when it comes to something like sport, like emotion and feeling don't matter compared with the fact this club has accumulated more beans than the other one.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
They'll always be special to me :devil:

Fergie leaving was of course a massive change and while he was here there was always a feeling that we'd always be challenging for the league unlike Arsenal and Liverpool who dropped off. However I never thought we had a divine right to be up there, to think that would be to undermine the hard work put in by Fergie and the fantastic staff he appointed over his tenure.

Maciej

Not sound logic.
Every supporter can think the club is unique, because they saw something in it a few years ago, but when you look at it from a better perspective, you simply can't say that we're unique. There are many different reasons for that, every supporter could find a different one.

Maciej

Oh come off it.

Manchester United will always be unique. We have too much history to fall into a normal club status.

Fact is you’re moaning because we’re not the number one team in England anymore in terms of performances.

If oil barons stayed away from football we would still be winning the league every/most seasons. Money has changed the game and we’re trying to play keep up.

Throughout Fergie’s reign there wasn’t really established clubs with endless pits of money (maybe Chelsea - but they have never had the investment of clubs like City or PSG, at least not like we are seeing now).

I’m not sure what we can do at this moment in time to try and get back to the top - city are literally the definition of buying the league. Money has really ruined the game for me recently. Money which isn’t earned by the club at least. It’s over a hundred years of hard work by our club just being pushed aside by billionaires with their play things.
Every club has their own history and for someone at Liverpool, their history is special and we only spend money hence our success.

It's easy to say from your perspective that we're unique, right?

Maciej

Sounds like OP is having a break down
No, I'm just honestly asking you when you started to think we're no different from other clubs and something that happened some decades ago doesn't mean that we're special.

When we used to win Premier Leagues, we all laughed at Liverpool. That they only talk about history. Now, we do the same and when it was funny when it was about Liverpool, we say that our history makes us unique. Seriously?

By the way, I'm not having a breakdown, I'm just not deluded as you'd expect from someone who supports a particular team.

Maciej

Okay, wow, unique in England. And what about three European Cups compared to 12 by Real Madrid (Milan 7, Barcelona, Bayern and Liverpool 5, Ajax 4, and even Inter have 3) like @2 Man Midfield has written? Unique, too?

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Every supporter can think the club is unique, because they saw something in it a few years ago, but when you look at it from a better perspective, you simply can't say that we're unique. There are many different reasons for that, every supporter could find a different one.
Every club is unique though. You might see similarities but no two clubs are identical.

How you can look at our history and say we are not unique is beyond me.

I get it, you’re on a downer about United and you’d like to bring everyone else down with you. No ta, I’m proud of this club.

Plato

Go tell Bobby Charlton that United aren't a unique club. The man survived a plane crash that killed most of his team mates then lifted the European Cup 10 years later.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Okay, wow, unique in England. And what about three European Cups compared to 12 by Real Madrid (Milan 7, Barcelona, Bayern and Liverpool 5, Ajax 4, and even Inter have 3) like @2 Man Midfield has written? Unique, too?
They all have their own unique stories. It’s not about statistics.

Status
Not open for further replies.