When will Glazers sell Man Utd?| Glazers sell some shares to Fund Manager

stubie

The club will end up being Qatari owned in the future.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Hmm interestingly it seems that this Nick Train guy has bought shares from some Glazer members
Despite the market capitalisation of the football club sitting at $2.7bn, only approximately $700m is available to retail investors.

“We accessed a block of the quoted shares from the Glazer family itself, where some family members wanted to sell for estate planning purposes,” Train says.

“This was helpful, because otherwise the shares are tightly held. The fact that some family members were willing to sell suggests that they knew of no imminent reason for the shares to go up a lot. Indeed you might argue that the sale implies that they don’t regard the shares today as particularly undervalued.”
the Glazer family members too.

I Believe

everything Nigel Farage told me
In my opinion the Glazers wont' sell up until they think they cannot grow the asset anymore. They bought United (Club and Brand) for £0.8B and with its Global stock market floats its now worth according to Forbes, £2.86B.

If and when they reach a level where growth stops or the asset in value starts to 'plateau', and/or United really 'dip' do a Liverpool (sorry couldn't resist it) and go wandering in the football wilderness, then they won't sell.

Adebesi

Facebook is very much serious for broadcasting rights of sports. I'm not sure if you're aware of Indian Premier League(Cricket related) but FB just bidded 610m dollars for the digital rights, they were outbidded but they were willing to spend such a large amount of what's essentially a two month tournament(The rights were of five years).
I didnt know anythign about it until I read that fund manager's note, he used that same example to justify his prediction that Facebook, Google, Amazon or someone like that will end up bidding, meaning prices will surely keep up their upward trajectory. Which is actually insane, when you think about it.

The downside is its fast getting to the point where how much money we make will become almost immaterial when set against the prices clubs get for TV money and the cost of players. We'll be attractive from a prestige perspective but if PSG get away with what they did this summer operating without a billionaire backer, or better still a sovereign wealth fund, wont be viable. I doubt the Neymar record will stand for long. Unless, of course, FFP is enforced and PSG are made an example of.

KM

In my opinion the Glazers wont' sell up until they think they cannot grow the asset anymore. They bought United (Club and Brand) for £0.8B and with its Global stock market floats its now worth according to Forbes, £2.86B.

If and when they reach a level where growth stops or the asset in value starts to 'plateau', and/or United really 'dip' do a Liverpool (sorry couldn't resist it) and go wandering in the football wilderness, then they won't sell.
It has long been rumored that not all of Glazer children want to remain owners of United and some of them might sell soon.

Adebesi

What I got from that article was that it makes no sense to think about "The Glazers" anymore. Since Malcolm died it is just a group of siblings holding shares, each with their own views about what best to do with them. So some of them will probably cash in and a good chunk of the shares will be free float but probably a large minority of them will be held by the remaining brothers who still see upside.

I Believe

everything Nigel Farage told me
It has long been rumored that not all of Glazer children want to remain owners of United and some of them might sell soon
Yes, after Malcolm Glazer died its believed some family members did sell off shares, mainly to other family members who wanted to continue.

Recently there have been reports of Chinese interests in buying some shares in United, but this does not seem to be a take-over bid, but seems to be the Chinese buying into a top PL team to see how its run and to get the privileged PL 'information', to help them build up their own PL. Don't forget the Chinese plan in 50 and 100 year cycles, not like the Western democracies they don't have to bother with elections every five years of so!

KM

Yes, after Malcolm Glazer died its believed some family members did sell off shares, mainly to other family members who wanted to continue.

Recently there have been reports of Chinese interests in buying some shares in United, but this does not seem to be a take-over bid, but seems to be the Chinese buying into a top PL team to see how its run and to get the privileged PL 'information', to help them build up their own PL. Don't forget the Chinese plan in 50 and 100 year cycles, not like the Western democracies they don't have to bother with elections every five years of so!
Chinese govt had restricted the Chinese companies from investing in sports outside China, I still think it'd be more likely that we'll be overtaken by some middle eastern group.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ts-overseas-investment-in-push-to-reduce-risk

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Interesting bit about the possibility of Facebook or another internet provider entering the bidding war for broadcasting rights, Im always tempted to see these TV deals as the proof that football is in the midst of a bubble and that at one point someone will realise theyve overpaid and the whole thing will go into reverse but the possibility of more bidders certainly undermines that theory. I liked the rationale for paying so much for the rights too: sport is like a hit show every bit as engrossing as The Wire, it goes on season after season and there is no risk of it ever being cancelled. When you look at it like that its easy to dismiss concerns about the bubble.

Do you know if the shares being sold more recently had voting rights? The ones from the IPO didnt I dont think, so presumably these are the same? Or, if family members are selling their own shares now, does that mean these ones do have voting rights?
Yep, it is an interesting take on it re Facebook et al and the soap opera that keeps on giving.
I share your concerns about the bubble though, particularly after this transfer window. If clubs start getting in trouble, left, right and centre, it would tarnish the underlying product, the EPL.

NT is an astute buy and hold investor -that was the first new stock he'd bought for the trust in two years!- so he's in it for the long haul.

Would assume he has voting shares if they are from family, rather than the free float. Not clear how many he bought and it would be interesting to know what the breakdown of ownership of these shares is now, given the family has sold a chunk of these.

Member 5225

I'd seriously sell if I were them now. Obv to an utter mega tycoon or rich state ofcourse!
Only way we'll compete.

Trizy

They won't sell. They are making too much money off United.

Miami Dolphins haven't won anything in decades and yet they are a global powerhouse when it comes to monies.

It's hard to see when our spiral downhill will stop but we continue to make them rich.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
£600m spent post Ferguson.

I don't see this as being their fault (except for appointing Moyes, or allowing it to happen).

goin4glory

We will continue to fall further behind rivals with them as owners. Other elite clubs in europe exist to win titles and we just fill their pockets.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
£600m spent post Ferguson.

I don't see this as being their fault (except for appointing Moyes, or allowing it to happen).
Think Woodward has to take some of the blame. He's in effect our Director of Football, we've had 2 managers fail, one potentially heading that way with £600m spend and not sure how many were value for money.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Personally, I don't think they'll fancy spending 200million each year to keep us challenging.

Valar Morghulis

Supports
BBW
Personally, I don't think they'll fancy spending 200million each year to keep us challenging.
They won't have to, about 100 to 150 most likely, then they'll just live off the club's name if we become a 5th to 7th placed team.

Ventura

Rather finish 6th than being funded externally by "questionable" money. Like certain clubs. Maybe Bill Gates can buy the club as one of his charity projects.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness

Miami Dolphins haven't won anything in decades and yet they are a global powerhouse when it comes to monies.

It's hard to see when our spiral downhill will stop but we continue to make them rich.
That’s cheered me up no end. Thanks. Only saving grace is that success on the pitch has a much higher correlation with success off it in football. So can’t take it to Dolphins extremes

L11

Think you mean tampa bay bucaneers, but yeah same principle applies

Last edited by a moderator:

redNATION

Football isnt directly comparable to NFL. It's a closed 'system' where teams cant really fail, as you're always in the NFL no matter how bad and if you're really bad you get the pick of the best players in the draft. In football, for example, a few years away from the Champions League can really hurt a club's finances and image (just look at AC Milan), which has a knock-on effect on sponsorships.

JohnnyKills

If the Glazers are going to make an exit, now might be a good time.

If City keep up their current form, a lot of the far-flung fans on whom United's profile is based will switch allegiances and the value of the club will fall.

As Ogden said in his piece for ESPN, they got it catastrophically wrong in not reinforcing back in the 2009-11 period and now they're reaping the consequences. It's going to cost hundreds of millions to return the club to the top of English, let alone European football. Why not just cash out now while the club's value is still high?

JohnnyKills

Football isnt directly comparable to NFL. It's a closed 'system' where teams cant really fail, as you're always in the NFL no matter how bad and if you're really bad you get the pick of the best players in the draft. In football, for example, a few years away from the Champions League can really hurt a club's finances and image (just look at AC Milan), which has a knock-on effect on sponsorships.
Agree with this. The Milan clubs are also-rans now.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.

If City keep up their current form, a lot of the far-flung fans on whom United's profile is based will switch allegiances and the value of the club will fall.

As Ogden said in his piece for ESPN, they got it catastrophically wrong in not reinforcing back in the 2009-11 period and now they're reaping the consequences. It's going to cost hundreds of millions to return the club to the top of English, let alone European football. Why not just cash out now while the club's value is still high?
Considering the investment the club needs (players, youth setup and stadium upgrade) there is no way somebody will pay the current valuation.

deafepl

Maybe a foreign head of state will make a YUGE offer!
I think Suadi government is looking for a club in English division, Glazers should sell United to them so we can spend whether we want and will outspend PSG and City in the transfer window, especially given our financial revenue advantages and to able comply with FFP rules. Approximately £320m of our almost £600m revenue come from United's operating cost without tranfer window spending included and have 250-280 left to spend annually, that all money can be spent on the transfer window. Saudi will help it since they won't care about profit. City and PSG's limit is 150m compared to us 250m to 280m.

redpatron

Considering the investment the club needs (players, youth setup and stadium upgrade) there is no way somebody will pay the current valuation.
Yeah right. One of the biggest sports clubs in the world. If this club is for sale it would be sold to highest bidder in less than year for at least 4 billion. Alibaba and China would come cash ready.

SirAF

Ageist
I think Suadi government is looking for a club in English division, Glazers should sell United to them so we can spend whether we want and will outspend PSG and City in the transfer window, especially given our financial revenue advantages and to able comply with FFP rules. Approximately £320m of our almost £600m revenue come from United's operating cost without tranfer window spending included and have 250-280 left to spend annually, that all money can be spent on the transfer window. Saudi will help it since they won't care about profit. City and PSG's limit is 150m compared to us 250m to 280m.
:drool:

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I'd say if anyone buys us it would be Saudi's. Qatar and UAA have their vanity projects. It won't be long before Saudi's get in on the act.

Hed Zitin

If I was them I'd sell. With the transfer fees these days and the lack of attractive football and major trophies. I'd get out. We're not growing a fan base unless our fans have kids atm.

deafepl

I'd say if anyone buys us it would be Saudi's. Qatar and UAA have their vanity projects. It won't be long before Saudi's get in on the act.
FFS, Qatar had an interest in United to purchase it for 2 billions, that was before Qatar purchased PSG. We better not reject Saudi next time because we need them so bad.

Infra-red

FFS, Qatar had an interest in United to purchase it for 2 billions, that was before Qatar purchased PSG. We better not reject Saudi next time because we need them so bad.
I'd sooner see us insolvent than owned by them.

deafepl

I'd sooner see us insolvent than owned by them.
I don't think, we could have paid all our debt off in 1 years if we want to but all the money for transfers window will be gone if we choose to wipe out all our debts completely off, I thought it would be good in long term especially we can get 50m extra every season on top of 150m set budget meaning we don't have to pay instalments payment loan, it'll free more of our spending.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
We draw to Southampton and people are already clutching at straws, ready to sell their soul to the devil. :houllier:

C'est Moi Cantona

Careful what you wish for, they'd likely sell to another leveraged buyout without a second thought if it meant the most profit.

Fluctuation0161

Looking at the trends of player prices growing exponentially, the period of low investment post 2009-2013 has hurt the club massively. We could’ve have got talents then for a fraction of the price we’d have to pay now.

Coops73

It’s not as fanciful as it seems, they’re restructuring as a country or state and they’re looking at the more moderate models of the UAE, where they need to look beyond oil to fund their future well being and what with this connection with United who knows. Whether this is would be a good thing or not, who knows.

deafepl

It’s not as fanciful as it seems, they’re restructuring as a country or state and they’re looking at the more moderate models of the UAE, where they need to look beyond oil to fund their future well being and what with this connection with United who knows. Whether this is would be a good thing or not, who knows.
I don't think we need an investment, we just need an owner who doesn't care about the profit and push our transfer spending to its full potential amount of money we can spend in the transfer window.

Taking from Ycharts source about United's operating cost is $640m (£475m) that include transfer windows spending and loan payment instalments, that's 79% spending ratio to our total revenue, the likes of City/PSG have a limit due to the FFP rules, they're at 99%, we're at 79% if we had to choose to be at 99% operating, we would have outspent PSG and City by at least extra £125m net so Suadi owner don't have to worry about making investment to fund club like United but at least they can push us to its full limit and probably sponsors their companies on United's seleves for 50m or whatever how much they want to pay for it, that's little investment, they don't have to invest hevily unlike PSG and City those owners invested heavily in first few season and sponer them with many companies that related to the owners because they don't have a strong finiancal like us and need to strengthen their finiancal to comply with FFP

If we have Suadi owner, it's all over for every big club, nobody would be complete with us in financial for the transfer window.

United have a few connection to the Saudi government, especially recently agreement - United is helping general sports authority of Saudi Arabia to help develop football industry in the country. I hope it is hinted that Saudi might be interested in buying United.