Film When will the next best movie of all time get made?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
For decades most lists of top movies have had the likes of Godfather & Shawshank Redemption at #1.

Will they ever make a movie again that can be touted as best of all time? Doesn't look like that's gonna happen anytime soon.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
F9 is out next year

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Nope. The traditional demarcations that prop up these types of lists have been crumbled. Establishment prestige Cinema is increasingly on the decline. Streaming platforms have swampified the industry, and budget and skill barriers have been lifted. This laissez faire attitude to content, combined with the democratisation of the filmmaking medium has made simple canonisation difficult to do..

Cinema is far from dead but for better and worse it has fundamentally changed.

(And this is a pre-Covid19 assessment, who knows what it looks like the other side of that.)

OleBoiii

How do you even judge whether or not a movie is the greatest of all time? It's becoming increasingly harder to create something(seemingly) original, and thus movie experts will never accept new films as better than the previous greats. You could argue that even the classics aren't 100% original when it comes to story etc(because of books and theatre plays being "first"), but at least things were unexplored in terms of cinematography.

Ultimately it's all subjective.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

Hopefully James Cameron opens up non glass 3D (this has already been created apparently) and reopens the "need to go back to cinema" again.

Then after that we can see some good movies come out 3D or not.

caid

I think films like that moved to tv 20 ish years ago. The Sopranos basically. There'll be a thousand new Star Wars and Sci Fi films but you wont see another Laurence of Arabia in the cinema.