When will we win our next Premier League Title?

mintyred

Impossible to predict as football changes so fast. The new Jim/Glazer combo might be a huge success and it could be a in few years or it might never happen again.

MegadrivePerson

It depends on how long Guardiola and Klopp stay at their clubs.

The best case scenario is 3 years.

Pughnichi

I think we’ll fall further in to sleeping giant status. And it’ll be 26 years inbetween titles…like the 92 title winning team.

Teja

We're very far away, it's not even a remote possibility right now. We can't even say we'll improve like Arsenal because most significant (20M+) signings since Arteta took over they got right (Gabriel, Partey, White, Odegaard, Jesus, Zinchenko, Trossard, Rice). Even during times when Arteta didn't look good, the signings followed a long term strategy and paid off.

Wing Attack Plan R

If Ratcliff buys 25% of the club and the Glazers stay leeching off us, it will push the date far into the future. Until the Glazers are gone, we will never win the title. I'm not even sure Ratcliff + Glazers will be any better than Glazers alone The only thing Ratcliffe has going for him is he's neither the Glazers nor an oil state's sovereign fund. It remains to be seen if he's a good steward of the club or just another capitalist parasite.

UTD_Since_1978

I'm over 50 so I'm hoping it will be in my lifetime, it's clear the current squad is not good enough & new signings from the summer of 2028 onwards will have to perform a zillion times better than signings since Fergie retired to have any chance of winning the league, so, when you add it all up, maybe, just maybe 31/32 season, 8 years from now when most of our current squad will be past it.

OrcaFat

This year
We’ll do city 6-1. Arsenal will do Arsenal and fold against themselves and Liverpool will do a month either Jan or Feb without points. Spurs will revert to type, Newcastle will show the lack of strength in depth.
I read this and thought “why not? Stranger things have happened.”

It’s always the same, I get mega depressed about losing and by the time the next game comes I’m feeling we could suddenly be brilliant. I actually feel like that now. The system will click, players will hit form and off we go.

MacarisSocks

2028/29... Fan protests on the forecourt prevent home games kicking off, all sponsorship brands are tarnished by their association with a club in turmoil. United slump to relegation battles each season and slump to under $10.00 on the NYSE.
The Glazers realising thet have milked this Heffer dry then bail and the club is purchased by wealthy investors and the rebuild begins.
Then I'm woken by the wife bringing me a cup of tea.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
After years of bargaining i have accepted that we won't be winning it in my lifetime. I have learned to get on with it. What kills me is that we not gonna do it in SAFs lifetime. I hope we win a cup and dedicate it to kathy. For me That would be the highlight as a fan since a decade. Pipe dream huh

xtal191

Not for a very very long time, City will more than likely be fine when Pep leaves, Newcastle will be there in a few years time, Qatar will probably buy another team in the Prem.

So by the time the Glazers are completely gone that'll be at least 3 teams that will be way ahead of us, probably even more. Only way I ever see us challenging again is if we somehow get the next Pep/Fergie/Klopp before they're snapped up by the oil clubs.

Grande

Results will always paint a picture in peoples minds about how good or bad the situation is currently. But if one takes a step back and attempts to understand what the problems stopping ten Hag from implementing his strategy are, then it's easy to see that those issues are easily rectified by players returning from injury and with the ownership providing the funds for additional players to arrive via the transfer market.

Ten Hag wants his team to play the game in the opponent's half. So the vision is set in stone and we have to try and understand where the weaknesses are and what needs to be done to make us a team that has the capability to play in a compact high block high up the pitch. And imo there's three things that have to be taken into consideration when creating a team to play the game in the opponent's half within the positional principles . Those three things are.. 1. having the ability to play to play out from the back. 2. having the ability to press high in a compact high block as a team. 3. having the ability to control defensive transitions in larger spaces.

1. Our play out from the back should be improved now that we have Amrabat available with Mainoo hopefully not far behind. Not having the aforementioned options for different reasons has caused us problems imo.

2. We've improved a lot at pressing high in comparison to what we saw under Mourinho and Solskjaer. With the only problem being that we don't commit both our fullbacks to the high press which seems to be a instruction from the manager.

3. We're the worst team at controlling defensive transitions because our CBs are not good at all at defending a large space hence our high press isn't as effective as it could be. Varane is our best player in that regard with Martinez being the best in possession. But we need CBs who are good both in possesion and out of possession in a higher defensive line to enforce the high press and control larger spaces against quick attackers.

If we can add 4 players to the starting 11, then we will have taken a big step towards being a very competitive team imo. This is the first time since Fergie retired where I can see a direction taking shape that correlates to the modern day reality of creating a team that plays a dominant brand of football. That might not make a lot of sense to people who are overly focused just on the results and how many points have been accrued. But I'm expecting us to build the team around the 3 principles mentioned above. And if we do that, it won't take as long as many think to challenge for the league.

And whatever one may think of Ratcliffe and INEOS. They have a lot of money and have the potential to make a real difference on the football side of the club.
I’m behind this analysis. I also think that point 1, 2 and 3 affect each other heavily, such as when a back five of De Gea - Wan Bissaka - Varane - Martinez - Shaw managed oppositional counters fairly well for most of last season, but then we’re suddenly playing with Onana - Dalot - Maguire - Lindelöf - Reguilon one day and Onana - Dalot - Varane - Evans - Amrabat the next, we neither have the personell nor the relations to control defensive space in transitions. Nor to develop a safe and quick play out from the back. This again affects heavily the collective nerve to press high consistently, for fear of being caught out.

Regardless of this, we’ve had periods in most games where we have managed to press high and create chances from it. That is to me a good sign, as long as the club and the players are able to weather the storm without going at each others throats when outside critic builds.

nakpodiareuben

Not for a very very long time, City will more than likely be fine when Pep leaves, Newcastle will be there in a few years time, Qatar will probably buy another team in the Prem.

So by the time the Glazers are completely gone that'll be at least 3 teams that will be way ahead of us, probably even more. Only way I ever see us challenging again is if we somehow get the next Pep/Fergie/Klopp before they're snapped up by the oil clubs.
Give ETH oil money today and we will win the league. It's all about the money. We were even lucky we got holland, else it would have been martial and a certain loanee spear heading our sttach

LuckyScout78

When everything are on places.
All the puzzles and factors that will lead to "Bigger picture" = The end result like premier leauge winner or champion league winner.

Puzzles and factors like? :

+ A world class manager puzzle?
+ Owner with a lot of luck/top karma? When it come to football result, not only financial and business result
+ This puzzle relate to the puzzle world class manager. A world class manager attract world class players. His soldiers and helpers to achieve theirs goals.
+ plus others pieces of puzzles and factors.

So how do you rate the current owner, , CEO, D.O.F , manager and players? Which level are theirs at?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I’m behind this analysis. I also think that point 1, 2 and 3 affect each other heavily, such as when a back five of De Gea - Wan Bissaka - Varane - Martinez - Shaw managed oppositional counters fairly well for most of last season, but then we’re suddenly playing with Onana - Dalot - Maguire - Lindelöf - Reguilon one day and Onana - Dalot - Varane - Evans - Amrabat the next, we neither have the personell nor the relations to control defensive space in transitions. Nor to develop a safe and quick play out from the back. This again affects heavily the collective nerve to press high consistently, for fear of being caught out.

Regardless of this, we’ve had periods in most games where we have managed to press high and create chances from it. That is to me a good sign, as long as the club and the players are able to weather the storm without going at each others throats when outside critic builds.
You're correct about the instability in the back line which imo has caused a problem for ten Hag due to the players missing through injury. But I do believe that once Shaw, Martinez and Varane are fit again, we will see a more functional team with both Shaw and Varane having the ability to control/contain the wide channels on the left and the right in defensive transitions. Shaw imo should be utilised as the left back who tucks inside to form a 3 man defence now we have options at the base of the midfield. But the only worry is how many points will we drop in the time in-between both Shaw and Martinez being fit.

The key for me is the 3 principles I outlined earlier about developing a team that has the capability to play out from the back, press high in a compact high block and control large spaces in defensive transition. I think if we stick to those principles we will get back to competing for the league. I don't think anyone can say when we will win the league but you sure as hell can plan the development of the team with a set criteria in mind. So the question I ask myself is, when will we compete for the league again? And imo we will compete for the league when we stick to the aforementioned principles. And if do that you will see a big difference in one year

But our biggest problem is information in the tweet below which I've known for a long time. And if Ratcliffe can provide more clarity by having control of the football side, then whoever the DoF and head of recruitment is, will have the foundations to thrive and can plan the transfer window ahead of time.

Rojofiam

This notion that you can't win the PL without oil money and state ownership has to go away soon, it's so fecking stupid and the bread and butter of you doom-and-gloomers on here.

ColvaleGoa

If you follow how long it took Liverpool to get Their first PL after 80's it will be something similar. There was a tweet or something that showed comparison and it's eerie.

Anyway on a lighter note nowadays I am more of a when will we win our next PL match rather than title!

Grande

You're correct about the instability in the back line which imo has caused a problem for ten Hag due to the players missing through injury. But I do believe that once Shaw, Martinez and Varane are fit again, we will see a more functional team with both Shaw and Varane having the ability to control/contain the wide channels on the left and the right in defensive transitions. Shaw imo should be utilised as the left back who tucks inside to form a 3 man defence now we have options at the base of the midfield. But the only worry is how many points will we drop in the time in-between both Shaw and Martinez being fit.

The key for me is the 3 principles I outlined earlier about developing a team that has the capability to play out from the back, press high in a compact high block and control large spaces in defensive transition. I think if we stick to those principles we will get back to competing for the league. I don't think anyone can say when we will win the league but you sure as hell can plan the development of the team with a set criteria in mind. So the question I ask myself is, when will we compete for the league again? And imo we will compete for the league when we stick to the aforementioned principles. And if do that you will see a big difference in one year

But our biggest problem is information in the tweet below which I've known for a long time. And if Ratcliffe can provide more clarity by having control of the football side, then whoever the DoF and head of recruitment is, will have the foundations to thrive and can plan the transfer window ahead of time.

To be clear - what you have known for a long time and you say this tweet backs up: Is it that Glazers have wavered on what resources are available for recruitment, such as sayng ‘yes’ to get Mourinho in the door, ‘no’ when they are uncertain about Mourinho’s third season, ‘yes’ when it’s about securing CL spots, ‘no’ when it’s about taking the next step, ‘yes’ when it’s about securing famous brand Ronaldo, ‘no’ when it’s about the need for a different kind of CB to Maguire (like Kim?), ‘yes’ when we’ve lost two games on the trot under a new manager’ ‘no’ when we have lost two games on the trot during a managers second or third season … that sort of thing?

Reyoji-Utd

When city without Pep and have a bad year and Arsenal keep doing Arsenal, Liverpool keep transition with Klopp in charge, Chelsea not gelling well and Newcastle, Spurs, and all the stars align which i dont think it will....another 20/30 years later...maybe.

Red Royal

Right now with the way the game is going it is will we ever rather then when. I have always been a pessimist when it comes to football and United, even during the glory days.
However, this just seems to be spinning out of control, at least pre Fergie (under big Ron) We looked like we were not far off, but the gap is widening. With the Qataris gone, there will be no short term fix.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
To be clear - what you have known for a long time and you say this tweet backs up: Is it that Glazers have wavered on what resources are available for recruitment, such as sayng ‘yes’ to get Mourinho in the door, ‘no’ when they are uncertain about Mourinho’s third season, ‘yes’ when it’s about securing CL spots, ‘no’ when it’s about taking the next step, ‘yes’ when it’s about securing famous brand Ronaldo, ‘no’ when it’s about the need for a different kind of CB to Maguire (like Kim?), ‘yes’ when we’ve lost two games on the trot under a new manager’ ‘no’ when we have lost two games on the trot during a managers second or third season … that sort of thing?
Mourinho got himself fired and it had little to do with budget imo. When you have a manager who goes to a club and wants control on the football side of the club, then it's imperative to look to develop the existing structures at the club. Mourinho didn't do this and Woodward had inadvertently created a massive problem by hiring a manager who wasn't willing to work with the existing recruitment structure after a massive overhaul had taken place where numerous scouts had been brought to the club. The club had even appointed Javier Ribalta to oversee recruitment at first team level to help Mourinho, but Mourinho was hell bent on trusting the judgement of his own scouts. And Woodward was then forced to create a transfer committee where the scouts and Mourinho were at loggerheads with each party having a veto.

If a manager is in a position where he's allowed control on the recruitment side of the club then it's equally important to assume control of other football departments at the club. Fergie and Wenger were managers who not only directed recruitment but also over-saw the wages, sports science and other departments on the football side of the club. Or the alternative is to have a designated person to be the head of football who allows the manager to focus on the coaching, developing the team and preparing for forthcoming games. Mourinho failed because he went to war with the very people who could've helped him develop a team. And when you don't take advantage of the huge resources already at the club, then it's a matter of time before the wheels come off. Because rival managers are taking advantage of the existing football departments at their clubs, whilst they themselves concentrate on coaching and developing the team on the training ground. It's a very simple concept that some managers don't understand and hence put themselves at a huge disadvantage.

And what I've known for a while is that budgets are not set in stone. Take the summer transfer window of 2022 as a example. It was widely reported about the budget being £120m, but that budget changed in the last few weeks. And we overpaid significantly for Antony because Joel Glazer was pressured into dipping his hand into the revolving credit facility after defeats to Brighton and then Brentford. I'm not sure how anyone can plan a transfer window with such unpredictable owners. And to compound things further, we went into the summer window of 2022 without a recruitment head because we'd sacked both Lawlor and Bout. And at any well run club, it's the heads of recruitment who make the difference when it comes to identifying players to sign. At Liverpool it's Barry Hunter and Dave Fallows, at Ajax it was Henk Veldmate and at Man City it's Gary Worthington. Without these guys the DoF cannot function and this type of information isn't known by many including the media, which I find very surprising.

From last year.

And since Simon Wells and Jose Mayorga came into replace Bout and Lawlor. They've identified Hojlund and Mason Mount. And these signings are bought for a purpose and they fit into one of the three principles I highlighted in one of my previous posts. So we just have to wait and see how things develop with Ratcliffe and Joel Glazer reportedly being on a committee together. Whoever the DoF is, needs clarity on budget because without having clarity it's very difficult to think several steps ahead of time.

And along with Hojlund and Mount, the likes of Mainoo, Garnacho, Hannibal and Gore are also a result of the structure created by John Murtough. The only thing I'd like to see happen is for us to bring in Lee Dykes from Brentford who I think is a very capable recruitment head.

I think we're 4 signings away from being a very strong team. And as long as those 4 signings fit into the 3 principles I've mentioned earlier, the chances of those signings being a success are good.