Where are we going to get enough goals from?

Bestietom

Again missing the point. You could gave Scholes and Keane in midfield and you'll still struggle to score enough goals unless you have enough goalscorers. Martial and Rashford for example would possibly get a few more goals at City, but they wouldn't suddenly be banging in 30 a year each. And it's more likely they just wouldn't play very much. No one else in our attacking set up would even be sitting on the bench.
I agree with you there, we need a prolific goalscorer as neither Rashford or Martial will get you 25/30 goals a season. All I'm saying is that we still need more service from midfield no matter who is up front.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Worth remembering that in the Premiership Chelsea scored two goals less than you last season and Tottenham only scored two more than you. The big difference was goals against where you let in 15 goals more than both of them. You’ve gone a long way to fixing your defence, that’s worth quite a few points straight away.

Lukaku scored 12 last season, it’s not unrealistic to see 12 Plus goals from Greenwood and Gomes. Also both Rashford and Martial only scored 10 each, they should both improve on that, just by getting the chance to play as an out and out striker more often. Also Lingard only got 4 whereas the season before he got 8 so I would expect improvement there as well.

You’ll be playing a far more attacking brand of football this season so you should get more chances than under Mou, and the first half of your season won’t be spent in utter chaos as the board and the manage fight publicly! Even if Lukaku goes and Sanchez never remembers how to play football, there are definitely goals in this team and third place is a very realistic target.
Don't necessarily disagree but then I think Chelsea last season struggled badly for goals, and Spurs also struggled. These are teams that have the same issue. Chelsea are relying even more on players making a big step up than we are. Spurs need both Kane and Song to be banging in goals whenever they play as few goals or chances come from elsewhere.

The race for top four last season was also pretty feeble. Spurs got there despite barely putting in a good performance. Chelsea got there despite taking half the season off and performing badly enough for their fans to be actively chanting for the sacking of their manager. So it's not unrealistic to expect it to be tougher this time around.

I think we have a decent chance but I don't see us massively improving on goals and I don't think we were scoring enough. Moat games it was a struggle to get the ball in the net.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Don't necessarily disagree but then I think Chelsea last season struggled badly for goals, and Spurs also struggled. These are teams that have the same issue. Chelsea are relying even more on players making a big step up than we are. Spurs need both Kane and Song to be banging in goals whenever they play as few goals or chances come from elsewhere.
You're right about Chelsea losing Higuan and Hazard and having no opportunity to bring in anyone to replace those goals is going to be a huge struggle for them. I don't see much changing at Tottenham, Kane will probably get 15-20 prem goals and Son will get 10-15, also think that without looking at the stats most people would not put Utd and Spurs in the same boat for goal scoring issues. I think it's a perception issue for most Utd fans, many think Spurs are a miles better team ... but they're not.

The race for top four last season was also pretty feeble. Spurs got there despite barely putting in a good performance. Chelsea got there despite taking half the season off and performing badly enough for their fans to be actively chanting for the sacking of their manager. So it's not unrealistic to expect it to be tougher this time around.
Absolutely right again the top four was a question of who could do worse last season! But it won't change this season. Chelsea have been emasculated up front, Spurs we've mentioned. Arsenal have a terrifying attack in Aubamayang, Lacazette and Pepe but their laughable defence will hold them back.

I think we have a decent chance but I don't see us massively improving on goals and I don't think we were scoring enough. Moat games it was a struggle to get the ball in the net.
With a more attacking style of play, I can see you getting more chance s and therefore more goals. With Lukaku gone and Rashford and Martial getting more playing time I don't think it's unrealistic to expect 15 each from them, chuck in 10 from your young players breaking into the first team, that's Lukaku covered. And with a massively improved defence you'll steal quite a few more points. There have been too many games from Utd last seasn where you'd go 1 or 2 up and you knew the other team would get back into it, a maturing shaw and Lindelof with AWB and Maguire will make a massive difference there. 6 more points last season would have had you fourth, 9 would have had you comfortable third. I'm thinking Brighton away, Cardiff at home and either West Ham or Everton away.... all very different!

NinjaFletch

It's a real worry.

I'd be very, very surprised if Pogba hit as many again this season because we had a scarcely believable number of penalties for us. If he's taking them again this season let's say he ends up on 10. Rashford will probably get 20+ all comps if he's playing up top all season and Martial is probably just as likely to get 20 as he is to get 5.

Beyond those three I don't see anyone in the squad who can be relied upon to get goals. Greenwood might get a few but can't be relied upon, James the same, but there can be no realistic expectations that Lingard or Mata will get many.

I'm genuinely of the opinion that we're going into the squad with a weaker squad overall (with the exception of right back and centre back) than we started last season with.

Superunknown

We may see a lot of 1-0s this season if our defence can hold it together. If we can go on some decent runs where we accumulate clean sheets, it at least gives us a better chance to come away with something. We're expecting a lot from Martial and Rashford if we're asking both of them to score 20+ goals. But, on the other hand, if they are starting as attackers for Manchester United, the expectation should be that they contribute. We need goals to come in from everywhere, which means set pieces, finishing our one-on-ones, and also our midfielders and wingers to push on and add goals to their game. It's not really down to one or two players to provide all the goals, but it's down to the entire squad. The midfielders need to create and the strikers need to improve their completion rate and tuck away their chances.

Devil may care

Glad it’s not just me that thinks this. AWB might be able to adapt, but I really can’t see Maguire playing the sort of high line that Oleball really needs.

I’ve got more confidence in Rashford than you seem to, and describing him as a “serial underperformer” is very harsh. That aside I think your doubts are spot on.
AWB needs a lot of work on his attacking game but he has the engine and the recovery pace to play the high line, with Maguire we could get away with it if Bailly could mature and stay fit as he's got the recovery pace and athletic ability to compliment Maguire as they are his shortcomings, but the liklihood of Bailly becoming reliable seems slim at best.

I just thought Rashford's attitude got increasingly worse last season despite Ole pandering to him, and I don't think he's a natural goal scorer, he needs to be more efficient and stop trying to do Neymar stuff IMO.

Been saying this all summer with everyone desperate for a CB, which was needed but won't make us score goals, which is where we really struggle. Quick accurate passing, runs, final third stuff - not improved on enough at the moment.
We've basically set out to play 4-2-3-1 with no quality at #10-or RW and two players that alternate between the LW and striker role that have let us down quite regularly over the last two seasons, it's a recipe for disaster.

Litch

All the top teams have a prolific scorer that turns draws into wins.

Nikelesh Reddy

Presuming Lukaku goes (and even if he doesn't he seems to have basically retired from actaully participating in football matches), and we don't sign anyone else, where are we going to get enough goals from this season?

I like the direction Ole seems to be going in, if he can actually get it to work in practice, but this is one of a few things that's troubling me. In order to be looking at top four and a half decent chance in the cup competitions, we need to be looking at scoring 100+ goals during the season. We got 85 last year. How many do you think we can realisitically expect with this set of players? We've added no significant goalscorers and basically lost our main striker.

Being really optimistic I can get to this:

Rashford - 20
Martial - 20
Pogba - 15
Sanchez, Mata, Lingard, Greenwood, James, Gomez, etc. betwen them - 40ish
The rest - 15?

That's around 110, but with the problem being it requires pretty much every player to have a good season goal scoring wise, which in reality is really quite unlikely. The likes of Sanchez could just as easily get 0 goals as 10-15. There's no one who's going to get near 30 unless Rashford or Martial have a pretty big breakout season, which again is relying on the unlikely.

I'm not talking about goals needed to win a league, but goals needed to get back in the top four. Maybe we can keep up the style of play we saw for the first few months under Ole, but even so we were often winning games by small margins.

Hopefully something surprising happens and one or two really step up.

Goals.
I”m seriously worried about this...Rashford won’t reach is peak for atleast the next 3-4 seasons...Until then we”ll be lucky if he scored 15 League goals per season...I don’t think there’s enough goals in this team,nor is there enough depth and quality in midfield...

Fooza

Yepp united sure fecked this one up if theyre going to rely on rashford, martial, sanchez, lingard for goals next season. :houllier: it's like they never learn...

I don't even think youth is the answer yet either for where we need to go. It's going to be a long way reaching liverpool and city.

ThinkTank@Cafe

The context of this thread implies that our strikers are a problem. It’s a simplistic view. Goals comes from chances created. If we had created loads of chances and failed convert them, then we’d had the issue discussed. In my view, Martial and Rashford are both great finishers. They have tremendous shooting technique and composure. The problem is passing in final third, space and opportunities quality: in other words chances. Improving our defense means better midfield functioning (we didn’t reach ceiling of our players ability). Functioning midfield will allow to create chances. Rash and Tony will not fail to convert them, I’m sure.

-Supreme-

The context of this thread implies that our strikers are a problem. It’s a simplistic view. Goals comes from chances created. If we had created loads of chances and failed convert them, then we’d had the issue discussed. In my view, Martial and Rashford are both great finishers. They have tremendous shooting technique and composure. The problem is passing in final third, space and opportunities quality: in other words chances. Improving our defense means better midfield functioning (we didn’t reach ceiling of our players ability). Functioning midfield will allow to create chances. Rash and Tony will not fail to convert them, I’m sure.
You do realise that Rashford and Martial play in attacking midfield and responsible for creating and scoring goals? Just like Liverpool's front 3

SolskjaerHasDoneIt

Oh we'll definitely get chances as long as Pogba's on the pitch but don't be surprised for us to squander all of them and lose 1-0 a lot like in the past few seasons.

I have no faith at all in our strikers when it comes to 1 on 1's. They have cost us so many points.

ThinkTank@Cafe

You do realise that Rashford and Martial play in attacking midfield and responsible for creating and scoring goals? Just like Liverpool's front 3
Yes, I do realize. Most of the goals and assists came when they had space. Did you notice that they are pretty good at crossing from the left flank? (In fact it’s not a cross, it’s a pass). Another thing they are good at - cutting inside at speed. In short, they need space.

Centrally, we need players who thrive in tight spaces and can produce through balls instantly. Tony and Marcus cannot do that. We need a number 10 or better team pressing to pass on the break. Then, the guys will score for fun.

My point is that Martial and Rashford will not let us down in big games when we will have space to exploit. But against smaller teams we need more versatility

Last edited:

ThinkTank@Cafe

Oh we'll definitely get chances as long as Pogba's on the pitch but don't be surprised for us to squander all of them and lose 1-0 a lot like in the past few seasons.

I have no faith at all in our strikers when it comes to 1 on 1's. They have cost us so many points.
I agree with you on squandered chances in case of Lukaku. He is annoying. As for Rashford and Martial, they didn’t have a lot of chances in first place.

-Supreme-

Yes, I do realize. Most of the goals and assists came when they had space. Did you notice that they are pretty good at crossing from the left flank? (In fact it’s not a cross, it’s a pass). Another thing they are good at - cutting inside at speed. In short, they need space.

Centrally, we need players who thrive in tight spaces and can produce through balls instantly. Tony and Marcus cannot do that. We need a number 10 or better team pressing to pass on the break. Then, the guys will score for fun.
Number 10 will not solve all these problems.

Both Martial and Rashford share a large responsibility of the team's overall attack (and yes that includes creating chances), there shouldn't be any more excuses this season - they simply have to perform especially they're already on one of the highest wages in the PL

Mugiwarared71

It doesn't even matter because our midfield is god awful without Pogba its almost relegation battling,cant keep possession cant move fast cant press not physical cant tackle cant find killer through ball cant get goals .

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Worth remembering that in the Premiership Chelsea scored two goals less than you last season and Tottenham only scored two more than you. The big difference was goals against where you let in 15 goals more than both of them. You’ve gone a long way to fixing your defence, that’s worth quite a few points straight away.

Lukaku scored 12 last season, it’s not unrealistic to see 12 Plus goals from Greenwood and Gomes. Also both Rashford and Martial only scored 10 each, they should both improve on that, just by getting the chance to play as an out and out striker more often. Also Lingard only got 4 whereas the season before he got 8 so I would expect improvement there as well.

You’ll be playing a far more attacking brand of football this season so you should get more chances than under Mou, and the first half of your season won’t be spent in utter chaos as the board and the manage fight publicly! Even if Lukaku goes and Sanchez never remembers how to play football, there are definitely goals in this team and third place is a very realistic target.
Great post. I agree with everything here.

NJM78

With no additions I would say we will score about the same as last year which will comfortably see us 5th or 6th.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
From nobody. If we don't sign a new CF/SS this summer, it will haunt us. Currently we need a new CF a lot more than a new DMF, CMF and/or AMF (we also new those).

Right now I'd buy Paco Alcácer in a heartbeat. At least he would score more goals than Lukaku, that's for sure.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
In terms of PL this was last seasons numbers

Pogba - 13
Lukaku - 12
Martial - 10
Rashford - 10
Lingard - 4
Mata - 3
Herrara - 2
McTominay - 2
Young - 2
Andreas - 1
Lindelof - 1
Matic - 1
Fred - 1
Sanchez - 1
Shaw - 1
Smalling - 1

Now obviously we're asking Martial and Rashford to step up massively, Martial's career best in the PL is 11 goals (1st season). Rashford's career best in the PL is 10 (last season). If they both add another 6 goals each then they cover Lukaku's output last season assuming he does go without being replaced and given neither will be rotating with the other and both likely starting week in week out that shouldn't be too much of a stretch to do.

It's the rest of the side that I worry about, because it's rather irrelevant if someone like James or the promoted academy players get 15 goals between them if they all come in the 3/4-0 wins it's having someone who can be relied upon to get goals that turns a 0-0 into a 1-0.

Pogba if he's playing deeper will be relying on penalties to get his numbers up (and he's not exactly prolific with them), Lingard has only had 1 season where he's scored more than just 4 league goals and Mata's output wont be all that high given his reduced role. As I said it's all really going to be on Martial and Rashford to step up

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Garner isn't ready and again midfield is a separate issue. We will be capable of getting the ball up the pitch against most teams. We're not trying to play like City and we're not looking at challenging for a title this season.
Noods. You have been here a long time.
How can you say midfield is not the issue.
You control the midfield, you control the match.
It does not matter what formation or tactics you play. Its basic football.
When your midfield pushes forward, you create more chances for the forwards.
Go watch how we played with Keane and Scholes in the side.

With our current team assuming it is Pogba/Matic/McT Pogba will most likely be the most forward. McT will have to be in the Ander role. Matic will play as he has done, except he is slower. Therin lies our problem.

Chelsea? Yeah. they have don't have Hazzard. But we don't have a midfield. Sorry.
I predict a 1-2 loss.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I just want United of old. Goals and goals and goals. As a former striker, I thought Ole would understand, like Sir Alex was, of how important to have a reliable goalscorer upfront.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Liverpool squashed this myth that you need to control the midfield to win games, as long as you have players that score goals.

It happened just last season.

Last edited:

bleedred

Its simple. We need to get a striker for sure. I honestly don't see how the rates of Rashford and Martial are going to improve. Combine that with the fact that we are losing lukaku's goals. Buying the likes of Maguire and AWB would be pointless, if we cant score at the other end.

Keefy18

In a poor season last year, 4 players still managed double figures.

The fact we've addressed our defence now gives me confidence our attackers can be more confident and not have to defend as much as previous seasons.

Last year Pogba (13), Lukaku (12), Martial & Rashford (10) all had double figures.

I'm confident that a more attack minded philosophy from Ole and confidence improved will see those 3 lads along with Lingard, Sanchez can hit double figures as well.

In short there's no reason why we can't get at least 60 goals from (Rashford, Martial, Sanchez, Pogba & Lingard).

Joe297

I expect Rashford to score more this season. His goal tally has gone up steadily, with 5 goals in his first season (albeit he played less games in this), 7 in his next two and ten last season

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
We have forwards with a combined wages of around 1 million/wk (Sanchez 500k, Martial 250k, Rashford 200k, Mata 100k, Lingard 100k, and I'm being nice to not include Lukaku 250k).

And here we are still doubting of where the goals will come from. Those we have in attacks are leeching the club.

OL29

Excellent post, actually gave me a different perspective. We’ll need some fortune but we’ve been missing that for about 6 years so it’s due!

peridigm

I'm convinced.

Von Mistelroum

Losing Lukaku effectively leaves us without a striker. Rashford isn't good enough in that position and neither is Martial . Greenwood is too young too. Lingard , Sanchez, Pogba and Mata are inconsistent at best. We really need a much better attack than we have if I'm honest. I don't think any of the other top 6 would use any of those except Pogba.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Presuming Lukaku goes (and even if he doesn't he seems to have basically retired from actaully participating in football matches), and we don't sign anyone else, where are we going to get enough goals from this season?

I like the direction Ole seems to be going in, if he can actually get it to work in practice, but this is one of a few things that's troubling me. In order to be looking at top four and a half decent chance in the cup competitions, we need to be looking at scoring 100+ goals during the season. We got 85 last year. How many do you think we can realisitically expect with this set of players? We've added no significant goalscorers and basically lost our main striker.

Being really optimistic I can get to this:

Rashford - 20
Martial - 20
Pogba - 15
Sanchez, Mata, Lingard, Greenwood, James, Gomez, etc. betwen them - 40ish
The rest - 15?

That's around 110, but with the problem being it requires pretty much every player to have a good season goal scoring wise, which in reality is really quite unlikely. The likes of Sanchez could just as easily get 0 goals as 10-15. There's no one who's going to get near 30 unless Rashford or Martial have a pretty big breakout season, which again is relying on the unlikely.

I'm not talking about goals needed to win a league, but goals needed to get back in the top four. Maybe we can keep up the style of play we saw for the first few months under Ole, but even so we were often winning games by small margins.

Hopefully something surprising happens and one or two really step up.

Goals.
Only by sorting out midfield creativity. We still have only one starting creative CM.

Keefy18

Chelsea? Yeah. they have don't have Hazzard. But we don't have a midfield. Sorry.
I predict a 1-2 loss.
Who scores their goals?

They've lost their main creative AND scoring outlet. We've kept ours.

They are relying on an ageing Giroud, largely unproven Batshauyi & young player in Abraham. Hardly great options.

Keefy18

Only by sorting out midfield creativity. We still have only one starting creative CM.
And even with that and a fecking woeful start under Jose with in house fighting and a manager publicly humiliating them at every chance, we still out scored Chelsea and only 2 less than Spurs.

We really do have the most negative fecks "supporting" our club.

mancan92

The team is absolutely bare and we only have 1 creative senior player to supply. People keep saying Greenwood and the likes will score goals but who's even going to create chances for them? Mata is useless now, matic can't create neither can mctom, sanchez is a waste of time, lingard isn't getting any better and who knows what planet Fred even thinks he's on.

It's looking bad goals wise. Only positive is we might concede less.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
City and Liverpool play High Press Footy And they have very good players all departments.
They do Not play Total Football.

We need to get a solid midfield. Currently I believe these teams have a better midfield than us.
With Pogba McT and Matic on their day we can match the other top teams.
But after them we have a big gap. No depth.