Where did it all go wrong

rpg

When u kept buying different bricks and reselling those bricks and firing changing them contractors no wonder we end up with a half finished house with assorted brickwall.

antsmithmk

Hates women.
It all went wrong between the takeover and 2010-11 when our net spend was positive - that is criminal for a club our size

What has confused matters (many of our fans and people in the media) is that the Glazers RECENT spend i.e. post SAF has actually been about par. As this has coincided with massive transfer inflation caused by the new PL TV deal, our 'real' spending looks fine on paper.....but in reality we had a HUGE amount of catching up to do after years of neglect and it would likely have taken/take between £500m/£1BN to buy what we effectively need - a new player in most positions

I'm going to use an analogy to explain. Imagine bricks cost £1 per brick and you and your four neighbours all needed to build a house each. It takes eleven thousand bricks to build one house (i.e. it takes 11 players to build a football team). At a time when bricks cost £1, over a period of five years, your four neighbours each buy nine thousand bricks for a total of £9000. You bought no bricks, at a cost of £0

Suddenly, it's starts to piss it down and you badly need a place to live, however, the cost of bricks rises to £1000 per brick....you decide to buy 3000 bricks as that's all you can afford at a cost of £3,000,000. Your neighbours buy the remaining 2000 bricks they need each at a cost of £2,000,000

Your spend - 3000 bricks = £3,000,000
Neighbours - 11,000 bricks = £2,000,009

Now see.....you've actually spent MORE on bricks, but due to bad planning and panic buying have only a third of a house! Your neighbours have spent LESS overall on bricks but because their spending was consistent and they invested wisely, they have whole houses

The media, rivals fans and our own fans are incredulous when people, like myself, argue that the Glazers have criminally under-spent....but that is because they misunderstand what has happened to the market and only look at the 'real' number. For proof of this point, wait another few years for spending to level out post-inflation....I predict we will be well behind again
Nice brick analogy.

flappyjay

to be fair Di Maria and Sanchez should have been better for us than they were, be it manager / player fault not going into that. No one could have predicted those two would have been that shite for us.
To be fair to rat face he was never a goal scorer. So his 10 assists were more a reflection of his real ability. Too bad he wasn't interested in putting in a proper performance for most of the season though.

Twisted Nerve

In fairness we couldn’t have really done anything to keep him. SAF managed to get him to stay an extra year more than he wanted to before he left.

As far as replacements we got Obertan and Valencia so everything worked out ok.
I was expecting some white text there.

Celoti23-81

Does anyone kind of have the feeling we are reverting back to the transfer strategy we had in the last few years SAF was here? Buying young players that represented value for money, but not necessarily anything really special!
Those were the years that really did not set us up in the best possible way for the next manager. Although we won the league, it was only possible by going out and forking out for a class player in Robin van Persie!
We didn't replace the likes of Giggs, Scholes, Neville, Rio, Evra etc quickly enough. We relied on them for a year or two too long imo! We never replaced Ronaldo either!
Only SAF would have won the league with the likes of Gibson, Evans, valencia, Fletcher, Rafael, a 40 year old giggs, and aging rio and vidic!
Come back to now and here, we have given 3 of SAF's signing new contracts in Young, Jones and Smalling, when in actual fact they should some of the first out!
In essence, what we are doing now is trying to live the SAF glory years by changing transfer strategy to the last year's of SAF which would be a dead rubber in this era of football!

lewwoo

It all started going wrong the second the parasites signed on the dotted line and bought the club. They are all about cutting corners then when their wallets take a hit panic buying. Might be a good way to run a business but not a football team. You spend when you are ahead to maintain not when you fail to hit targets. The definition of insanity is repeating the same actions over and over again and expecting different results.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Sold two of the finest players of their generation and replaced them with Valencia and Owen. Nothing more needs to be said.

Eddy_JukeZ

The summer of 2009 was the start. We botched that entire transfer window(which apparently is because the Glazers had to pay off their debt according to @Lentwood) and it culminated with SAF retiring.

It truly exposed how horrible the Glazers are.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The summer of 2009 was the start. We botched that entire transfer window(which apparently is because the Glazers had to pay off their debt according to @Lentwood) and it culminated with SAF retiring.

We paid about £80m in interest and loan payments that financial year. There is no human on this planet that can convince me there was money to spend.
It is the only thing I have against Fergie. He spent years bullshitting us.

TRUERED89

It all went wrong between the takeover and 2010-11 when our net spend was positive - that is criminal for a club our size

What has confused matters (many of our fans and people in the media) is that the Glazers RECENT spend i.e. post SAF has actually been about par. As this has coincided with massive transfer inflation caused by the new PL TV deal, our 'real' spending looks fine on paper.....but in reality we had a HUGE amount of catching up to do after years of neglect and it would likely have taken/take between £500m/£1BN to buy what we effectively need - a new player in most positions

I'm going to use an analogy to explain. Imagine bricks cost £1 per brick and you and your four neighbours all needed to build a house each. It takes eleven thousand bricks to build one house (i.e. it takes 11 players to build a football team). At a time when bricks cost £1, over a period of five years, your four neighbours each buy nine thousand bricks for a total of £9000. You bought no bricks, at a cost of £0

Suddenly, it's starts to piss it down and you badly need a place to live, however, the cost of bricks rises to £1000 per brick....you decide to buy 3000 bricks as that's all you can afford at a cost of £3,000,000. Your neighbours buy the remaining 2000 bricks they need each at a cost of £2,000,000

Your spend - 3000 bricks = £3,000,000
Neighbours - 11,000 bricks = £2,000,009

Now see.....you've actually spent MORE on bricks, but due to bad planning and panic buying have only a third of a house! Your neighbours have spent LESS overall on bricks but because their spending was consistent and they invested wisely, they have whole houses

The media, rivals fans and our own fans are incredulous when people, like myself, argue that the Glazers have criminally under-spent....but that is because they misunderstand what has happened to the market and only look at the 'real' number. For proof of this point, wait another few years for spending to level out post-inflation....I predict we will be well behind again
Good analogy,
One knit picky correction Ha
£2,000,009 (That's £2 Million and £9 pounds)

£2,009,000 is what you meant (£2 million & £9 Thousand :) )

Needham

They are classic poor rich men. As Clough used to say of football chairmen in general, the very sight of them brings the game into disrepute.

Lentwood

Many articles about this on the web if you are interested - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11762838

Believe it or not, some posters argue that it is all a big coincidence that our net spend was positive during the period the high-interest PIK loans where leveraged against the club....I find that highly improbable

Reading that article back is very scary...we made nearly an £80m loss in 2008/09 with the BBC citing debt repayments as the reason for this....we then took £70m from club revenue to consolidate the debt....and yet still people come up with all sorts of excuses and conjecture i.e. 'no value in the market', 'didn't need to sign players', 'agent fee's' etc....all a load of gubbins (underused word)

Last edited:

Lentwood

Just in addition to the above in context....I make it, based on that BBC article, that we paid out £150m in loan repayments between 2008-2010. That money could have been spent on the following, who were all transferred during this period;

Deco - £9,000,000
Luka Modric - £19,000,000
Aaron Ramsey - £5,760,000
Javier Mascherano - £20,000,000
Nigel De Jong - £16,000,000
Samir Nasri £14,400,000
Andrei Arshavin £14,800,000
Vincent Kompany - £7,600,000
Pablo Zabaleta - £7,800,000
Kolo Toure - £16,800,000
Carlos Tevez - £26,000,000

Total = £142,000,000

For what it is worth - I haven't even tried to build a team or be clever there, I've literally just listed transfers I stumbled across...I could have included players like Kyle Walker and Seamus Coleman who also transferred for peanuts during this period....but you know....clearly 'no value in the market' was there.....

We also sold our best player for £90m during this period, lest anyone forget

We'll See Out There!

Feckin "No marked value" how the hell did all us United fans stand for that load of BS? Why should we care about market value, were Man United who doesn't want a piece of that brand?

AllezLesDiables

Does anyone kind of have the feeling we are reverting back to the transfer strategy we had in the last few years SAF was here? Buying young players that represented value for money, but not necessarily anything really special!
Those were the years that really did not set us up in the best possible way for the next manager. Although we won the league, it was only possible by going out and forking out for a class player in Robin van Persie!
We didn't replace the likes of Giggs, Scholes, Neville, Rio, Evra etc quickly enough. We relied on them for a year or two too long imo! We never replaced Ronaldo either!
Only SAF would have won the league with the likes of Gibson, Evans, valencia, Fletcher, Rafael, a 40 year old giggs, and aging rio and vidic!
Come back to now and here, we have given 3 of SAF's signing new contracts in Young, Jones and Smalling, when in actual fact they should some of the first out!
In essence, what we are doing now is trying to live the SAF glory years by changing transfer strategy to the last year's of SAF which would be a dead rubber in this era of football!
You need both young value and established players. The 7-20 teams all go after young value because they can’t yet afford to buy high price players because their margin for error is much much smaller.

Buying someone like Fred would kill most of the smaller clubs because busts are what can push them toward relegation.

soaphroniscuss

Feckin "No marked value" how the hell did all us United fans stand for that load of BS? Why should we care about market value, were Man United who doesn't want a piece of that brand?
Some posters said it back then, but got shouted down. Much like what is happening now with our current "mistake".

Celoti23-81

Some posters said it back then, but got shouted down. Much like what is happening now with our current "mistake".
This resale value thing has to stop too. The best clubs these days, or have always done, keep their best players till they are no use no more!