Where do we find more goals ?

Havak

Pokemon master
Oh, and for what it's worth, I'm actually thinking conceding 10+ fewer goals might lead us to a bit more success than trying to find the extras at the other end. Having Wan-Bissaka, possibly a new CB, de Gea back to more like his best and us perhaps keeping more of the ball, winning it back higher up the pitch and giving away fewer chances should contribute to this kind of number.

Foxbatt

If Rashford stops shooting " towards" the goal any time he gets the ball, we may score more goals by creating better chances to score. We also need to work out our set-pieces a lot better. We seem to be the only team who has no variations in a corner. Either it is taken short to Mata ( when is on the field ) or Rashford shoots the ball from the corner or it is taken too long for anyone to retrieve it.
Why cannot they sometimes try a near post flick? It is a difficult ones to defend against. We are the only team who do not try to block the keeper from getting the ball. It is the height of idiocy that stops us from scoring more goals.

ManchesterYoda

I know that this is wishful thinking first and foremost but I doubt that Liverpool will replicate their last season’s form. Although the CL last season was a huge morale boost. They’re still huge favorites for the second place, of course, but it’s not a given.

Hard to see City slowing down though.
Considering the huge amount of mental effort City put in to hold off Liverpool, I think Liverpool are favourites this season. If we make these important signings - Pepe, Bruno and Maguire, in addition to Wan-Bissaka and the introduction of Greenwood, we will be much closer this season as our team will be stronger and much better balanced. We would be capable of getting over 80 points/goals

Keefy18

I believe city and Liverpool will be untouchable again this season. We can get third if we perform well every game, but then again so can chelsea or spurs.
I've a few Liverpool supporting mates and some reckon they'll falter a bit this season.

They argued their 97 pt haul last season was a bit of a fluke, like us getting 2nd the year prior. They didn't score as many goals last season although defensively they were better.

I reckon they'll be around the 80 pt mark myself this season.

snowkarl

• Rashford and Martial go from the 10-15 range theyve been regularly getting the last few years to the 15-20 range with more important and consistent roles, along with progressing as players.
  • Greenwood gets 10-15 (honestly this is a conservative prediction from me, the guy looks like scoring every time he steps on the pitch).
  • Lingard stays at ~10.
  • Other youngsters and James get 5-10 between them.
  • Mata stays at 5-10.
  • Pogba stays at ~15.
  • Sanchez stays at ~5
  • Rest of midfielders get ~5-10 between them
  • Defence gets ~5 between them
Total: 90 - 120 goals in all competitions,
depending on how far we go.

Theres a solid amount of goals in this team. The creativity and attack was far from the biggest problem last season, over the year our attacking stats were on the same level as Spurs/arsenal/Chelsea's. The problem was our defence was in the bottom half of the league. Wan Bissaka will be a big boost, especially as we can have 2 fullbacks who can shut down wingers 1v1. Problem is still the 2nd CB, and defensive cover from midfield.
This is extremely optimistic. Martial has never scored more than 11 goals in a PL season despite playing whenever he's been fit, Lingard only scored 4? goals last year and if they're all playing at the same time trying to occupy the same spaces, they'll probably be scoring less, not more.

Greenwood looks really good but 15 goals is conservative from you? Jesus. What's your optimistic estimate?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I've a few Liverpool supporting mates and some reckon they'll falter a bit this season.

They argued their 97 pt haul last season was a bit of a fluke, like us getting 2nd the year prior. They didn't score as many goals last season although defensively they were better.

No doubt about it imo. They severely overperformed last year and aren't likely to replicate such a torrid pace.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
A better midfield will give more team goals, it's not just down to the attackers. We need more team goals.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This is extremely optimistic. Martial has never scored more than 11 goals in a PL season despite playing whenever he's been fit, Lingard only scored 4? goals last year and if they're all playing at the same time trying to occupy the same spaces, they'll probably be scoring less, not more.

Greenwood looks really good but 15 goals is conservative from you? Jesus. What's your optimistic estimate?
The key word is "all competitions". You know, where we include league cup games, FA cup games, Europa League games, and in total play close to 60 games over a season? That's a total of 90 to 120 goals over a season, dependent on how we do in the cup comps and how far we go. Basically the same totals that both Chelsea and Arsenal had in all competitions last season. So it's entirely realistic if not a tiny bit cautious.
10-15 goals in all competitions for Greenwood, yeah I think that's realistic. The guy's movement is so good that he gets on the end of big chances every game, often multiple chances. Depends on how many games he plays, but between the cups and the Europa League and some league starts (seeing as he looks our best option on the right already), I think he'll get enough.

baskinginthesun

Hopefully, the higher energy, higher press that Ole is trying to implement will be a huge help. Also, hoping Rashford and Martial have their turning points in their career where they both score 20+ goals next season. If Pogba can keep up his production and other players prop up the goals with 5 or 6 here and there we should be OK (hopefully).

edcunited1878

We will need about another 30 than we got last year to push for a top 2 spot and yet we don't seem to have done much to remedy this, particularly with Lukaku potentially leaving.

How do we resolve this ?
It's all about the tactical system Ole and staff create. If it's a high line and pressing/closing down system that uses quick transitions and counter attacking as its core, so be it. Then if you need more creativity closer to goal, a double pivot or 3 central mids that can accommodate more creative players further up the pitch.

People continue to bang on about Player X, Player Y, Player Z. While more quality is needed yes, the tactical situation has to be the priority and foundation to developing more goal scoring opportunities which would lead to more goals scored.

Players will always come and go, as will managers. So identifying a primary and secondary way of scoring enough goals and get results is what I want to see. From there, we can assess who is good enough to execute on a higher and more consistent level and who is not.

Foxbatt

If he is going to have a high line then certainly Lindelof and either Smalling or even Maguire is not going to be able to cope with it due to their lack of pace.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!

As much as it pains me to say, there is no way they'll go down from 97 to 80. I'd say somewhere between 85 - 90. Which will block anyone else's attempt at 2nd place anyway.

Comet49

According to the Mail we’re pushing ahead with a 70m bid for Pepe. Time will tell.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
As for us getting more goals, it's quite simple - improve within. Finally getting a successful signing would help, too, but it seems a daunting challenge for us. I think we may get 20 more from the current squad. Rashford should be looking at 20 surely with another season under his belt. Martial with 15, Lingard on 10, James popping up with 5 will already give you 20. Then you've got Greenwood, Chong and Gomes who should provide 15 between them which would cancel Lukaku's departure. Pogba will have to do very well to replicate his number, though.

Possibly a couple more from Fred, McTominay and Matic.

Web of Bissaka

Lukaku left, no new CF/ST signing.

Ideal scenario is for everyone else to step up. Everyone score.
Sort of like the first season after Ruud left. I remember United fans were worried about where will the goals come from at that time.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I see 4th as a baseline for what is acceptable, not a target. A target would be top two imo.
That's right. You have to set your target as high as is possible.
No point in setting your target as 4th and then missing that for whatever reason.
Our target next season ought to be 2nd and aim for that. If we fail the 3rd or 4th would be the minimum acceptable.
This is Manchester United we are talking about not Burnley.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It's all about the tactical system Ole and staff create. If it's a high line and pressing/closing down system that uses quick transitions and counter attacking as its core, so be it. Then if you need more creativity closer to goal, a double pivot or 3 central mids that can accommodate more creative players further up the pitch.

People continue to bang on about Player X, Player Y, Player Z. While more quality is needed yes, the tactical situation has to be the priority and foundation to developing more goal scoring opportunities which would lead to more goals scored.

Players will always come and go, as will managers. So identifying a primary and secondary way of scoring enough goals and get results is what I want to see. From there, we can assess who is good enough to execute on a higher and more consistent level and who is not.
Beyond the tactics, which of our current squad (excluding Lukaku who looks on his way out) do you think can knock in Aguero, Kane, or Salah type numbers ?

vidic blood & sand

I think better support from midfield and the wings will increase our goal chances. So I think money spent on midfield creativity will improve our goal ratio.

edcunited1878

Beyond the tactics, which of our current squad (excluding Lukaku who looks on his way out) do you think can knock in Aguero, Kane, or Salah type numbers ?
Not including Lukaku, the current squad has 70 PL goals in them and I think that's being generous. Martial, Rashford and Pogba will have 10 to 15 each. Lingard, Mata, Greenwood, Alexis...3 to 5 each. Then amongst the remainder of the squad is around 10 to 15 goals. So 52 bare minimum and approximately 80 max at extreme output.

So who can have a goal output similar to Aguero, Kane or Salah...nobody currently in the squad. I have hopes that one of Martial or Rashford could hit 17+ but cannot believe it until it happens.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Yes he does after his injury. He has been beaten for pace many a times of late.
He also got the best of Mbappe in a footrace against PSG not too long ago so even if he has lost a bit of pace he still has to be very quick.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Lukaku hitting 25 goals like he did in 16/17 would be helpful.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Is that not decent for a 21 year old midfielder with around 70 appearances? Matic has about 20 goals in his whole career
I’d say 14 career goals isn’t exactly a number you can draw any sort of conclusion from. He score 8 of those goals in League One last season. How are we supposed to take anything from that?

Eddy_JukeZ

We really need another attacker brought in, but we don't seem to be linked with anyone.

SteveW

I’d say 14 career goals isn’t exactly a number you can draw any sort of conclusion from. He score 8 of those goals in League One last season. How are we supposed to take anything from that?
We can take that he can shoot. Obviously.

Mate, go be pedantic with someone else. I think he can score goals, you don't, whatever.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Get a defensive midfielder. Our midfield is constantly overrun. Even by the likes of Newcastle. This means the attacking players are starved of any pases as the midfield are fighting for thier lives and they also have to drop deep to get the ball. See how Man Cities attack falters without Fernandinio. Sorting out defence by getting a CB will also help. Of course there are so many problems with our Front three that it won't solve everything. We need a much higher goal to game ratio by all of them especially Lindgard. Partey and Pepe might do it.
Did you just sneak that one in the middle of your post so that nobody would notice? Since when has City’s attack ‘faltered’ without Fernandinho?

Chairman Steve

Depends on who's going to step up this year... or more accurately if anyone can.

I remember back in 2006 when we sold RVN and people wondered how we were going to score goals, with a 21 year old Cristiano Ronaldo, a 20 year old Wayne Rooney, a Louis Saha who'd just refound his scoring form again after spending a season of constant knee injuries and god knows if his knees would give way again and an OGS who'd been out injured for a good two years. They racked up 70 goals between them and won the league, reached an FA Cup final and reached a Champions League semi.

There are just some times where a notable (maybe integral) presence leaving means other guys will step up, and not necessarily wilt under the pressure.

RedMilo

We have never been a side that should rely on one player to score majority of the goals. Rashford & Martial - should be getting a minimum of 15 goals each & Greenwood, Lingard, Gomes, Mata, James & Pogba should aiming for minimum of 5-10 goals each.

Denis79

I see 4th as a baseline for what is acceptable, not a target. A target would be top two imo.
I hope the target is top 4 this season and a top 6 acceptable. We've bought 2 young prospects so far and have moved up a few academy players, they'll need time to hit the ground running. Considering how we finished last season, both position and form, we can't expect miracles with literally the same squad. Also I feel that our midfield could use a massive investment before we can see some magic being done.

lsd

The Oracle
It's players to create goals that we really need never mind scoring them .

Take away Pogba where else are our assists coming from to take our goal tally into the top levels ?

UpWithRivers

Did you just sneak that one in the middle of your post so that nobody would notice? Since when has City’s attack ‘faltered’ without Fernandinho?
December...lost 3 games while he was injured. Palace, leciester, Chelsea. Came back in Jan. Beat Liverpool (he was man of the match) and went on from there.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Greenwood. He gives off the same vibe that Ronaldo did from 2013-2017. The game is not over until he scores

Jericholyte2

By strengthening the defence, meaning our wide attackers aren’t glorified wing-backs any more.

I genuinely believe AWB (and hopefully Maguire) will relieve a lot of pressure from our attacking players from their defensive duties. Now I’m not saying we’ll have four players waiting in the half-way line for attacks, but there should be a reduction in the times we see a back size with Rashford and Martial covering for Young and Shaw.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Rashford and Martial are both capable of getting 15+ goals in a season and probably 20+. Both probably would if they were played consistently even accounting for poor runs of form.

Sanchez is capable of scoring more than about 2 goals a year.

Outside of that we have problems as it's hard to imagine anyone else guaranteeing getting into double figures. Pogba might if he stays and takes penalties.