Where has this dearth of top quality managers come from, and how long will it last?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
At with the old, in with the new… but this cycle is narrower than ever; Xabi Alonso and Thiago Motta appear to be the only ones generating the kind of storm that leads one to believe they could go on to peer the dying embers of the last cycle, but if like is for like, we’re missing several coaches of great potential to grab the baton off those they’re su to replace.

Pep and Klopp as well as Ancelotti are snatching up so much shine because the usual 8-10 that sat at the top table has seriously diminished, thus more attention has to be funnelled and showered on the few.

Why has this happened, and how long will it last? Is there a deluge of elite coaches a couple of years off coming to the boil? Are Xabi and Motte the first of many from the new wave?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Is there a dearth in comparison to previous years?

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Are standards not just insane now?

ETH has won a cup, made a final and just made another in two seasons - seen as a flop (probs will be but you catch my jist).

Arteta if Arsenal win feck all this year - some will label him shite (unfairly).

Tuchel won a Champs league, made another final - shite.

Etc etc.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
How many top class managers are there in total?

Out of the current crop, who is being widely regarded as world class apart from Pep and Klopp?

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
No manager is good enough for CAF unless he wins the league this season. So only Ancelotti, Inzaghi, Alonso and probably Pep are top quality. The rest are in the either pass it or not good enough category. Klopp is still living on his past success if he doesn't win the league this season, and soon will drop to the "pass it" category.

didz

Homogenisation? Now you don't have to be a good football manager, you have to be a good positional play, perennially pressing, possession-prizing prick of a football manager or you'll be seen as yesterday's jam.

That, along with @Utd heap's observation, leads fans of West fecking Ham to whinge about David Moyes even when he's won a European trophy and has them in the top half of the table.

Oh and also a lot of people just like saying that everything's shit when it comes to football.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Its a combination of things:

1) managers not any worse than they have been in the past. If anything they are tactically much better equipped

2) Insanely high standards. OGS can't get a job because he only finished 2nd behind a team with vastly superior resources. Many top teams sack managers for things like not winning the league well enough. Mid table managers like Moyes end up under pressure for successfully finishing mid table with a mid table set of players. Anything below performing miracles eventually gets you mostly criticism.

3) Hideously overpaid young footballers with greedy agents are (I imagine) a horrible type of people to try and manage. Imagine trying to manage some group of stupid arrogant bellends but also they're all millionaires who have literally no reason to listen to you.

4) Football habbit of primarily using mouthy ex footballers who are in no way suited to managing, as its pool of people to choose good managers from

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Just not too long ago Ancelotti were sacked by Bayern and Napoli due to poor performance. He could only land a job in Everton. He would fall into the "pass it" category if Real Madrid didn't come calling.

Skills

Snitch
There's not a dearth of top quality managers. There's 3 legitimately all time great managers around in Klopp, Guardiola and Ancelotti.

And then loads of very good managers. That was the case in 2000s as well. If you can't get one Klopp or Guardiola, you need to then play managerial roulette to pair up one of the very good managers for the squad you have in that moment in time. You have a 18 month to 3 year window to make that work, and then you'll need to roll the dice again to get another one of the very good ones for the squad you have in that moment in time.

For a club to be continually successful something needs to change every once in a while - and in most cases that's the manager. It's too expensive to change the squad repeatedly - and it's only worth it for a Klopp or a Guardiola in their prime.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Messi-Ronaldo syndrome. We've had 2 legitimately GOAT managers in Pep and Ole so others don't look as strong. The reality is there are plenty of other really really really good managers out there, not living up to the Manchester boys, but still very good.

kaku06

Quality in football is dying in general and at a rapid pace. I hate everything is so system based these days either playing out from the back or inverted wingers and no striker etc.

Dearth of brilliant No. 9’s
Dearth of quality defenders
Dearth of metronomic Midfielders
Dearth of Mavericks
Dearth of different variety of top Managers

And I blame one and one person only for most of it. That bald feck Pep Guardiola. To me he’s the biggest culprit for making football so robotic.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
What dearth ? Lots of great managers, the top ones are all clones tactically, that's the big problem.

Arguably football has become too statistics based, too scientific and the games a way worse spectacle than 10 or 15 years ago.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Homogenisation? Now you don't have to be a good football manager, you have to be a good positional play, perennially pressing, possession-prizing prick of a football manager or you'll be seen as yesterday's jam.

That, along with @Utd heap's observation, leads fans of West fecking Ham to whinge about David Moyes even when he's won a European trophy and has them in the top half of the table.

Oh and also a lot of people just like saying that everything's shit when it comes to football.
Agree with this.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
There's not a dearth of top quality managers. There's 3 legitimately all time great managers around in Klopp, Guardiola and Ancelotti.

And then loads of very good managers. That was the case in 2000s as well. If you can't get one Klopp or Guardiola, you need to then play managerial roulette to pair up one of the very good managers for the squad you have in that moment in time. You have a 18 month to 3 year window to make that work, and then you'll need to roll the dice again to get another one of the very good ones for the squad you have in that moment in time.

For a club to be continually successful something needs to change every once in a while - and in most cases that's the manager. It's too expensive to change the squad repeatedly - and it's only worth it for a Klopp or a Guardiola in their prime.
Yep. Managers are commodities that have short shelf lives at clubs at the top level. Anything more than 3 years is impressive

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
And I blame one and one person only for most of it. That bald feck Pep Guardiola. To me he’s the biggest culprit for making football so robotic.
I agree. We ought to banish that sick feck from football. In fact, banish him from society as a whole

Oranges038

Quality in football is dying in general and at a rapid pace. I hate everything is so system based these days either playing out from the back or inverted wingers and no striker etc.

Dearth of brilliant No. 9’s
Dearth of quality defenders
Dearth of metronomic Midfielders
Dearth of Mavericks
Dearth of different variety of top Managers

Couldn't agree more. He's a drugs cheat and he's definitely ruined football for everyone.