Which CB would you sign this Summer?

Which CB would you sign this Summer?

• Total voters

Jacob

Jones, Smalling and Evans are nowhere near good enough to be starting centre backs for us, they're squad players at best IMO. Not to mention they are also all made of glass.
They are, place some trust in them with a good run of games and they will be top defenders for years to come. When Smalling for example has had a good game, he looks better than Rio in his prime. Genuinely nothing gets past him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I'd personally go the #SmallingPlusOne route, can't decide between Evans and Jones though.

Benatia looks a very good defender. I don't particularly rate Mangala, and have one or two concerns re: Hummels too. If we had to sign someone, I think Benatia would be my choice, if a younger option then Inigo Martinez or Laporte.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Stones would be good. Can play RB as well. Would cost a fortune but set us up for a long time. De Vrij might be a good value signing too.

Yes I know what we need right now is a more experienced player, but that's trickier. Hummels does not seem gettable, I like Benatia but Roma are after crazy money, Ginter does not look like leaving Germany, Mangala is expensive and not all that experienced, I quite like Vertonghen but would be crazily expensive, Martins Indi is not good enough and has gone to Porto, Garay has gone to Zenit, Laporte - see Mangala, Inigo Martinez - see Mangala, Astori I don't know much about, Howedes would be steady but not top quality, Juve have some great CBs but they won't let them go, after that I'm struggling to think of someone.

I can see why the club is looking at Vermaelen actually even though that gives me the wibbles.

RedorDead21

Varane for me easily the best prospect. I'd prefer we build a young team which will be together for the next 7-8 years. That means forsaking immediate success. Varane, Shaw, Jones, Rafael, De Gea would be a great start at the back.

Silverman

Mats Hummels would be a brilliant signing. I haven't seen a lot of Benatia but he seems to be getting rave reviews. City were supposed to be close to signing him but now it looks like they are after Mangala.

An Irish Red

Remember a couple of years ago, lot's of people didn't want us to sign a good midfielder because apparently Cleverley and Anderson's development was going to get stunted. Then a few years down the line, we ended up with one of the worst midfields in recent top flight history.
That's a massive exaggeration. Our midfield was poor by our standards but it was nowhere near as bad as you're making out.

Blair

Hummels by a mile. Not been impressed much with the Dutch CBs. I think Lovren would be a good buy but looks set for Liverpool.

Spielmacher

So, thought I'd push this one now that there are basically only two rumours left, the man most fans don't want, obviously due to his injury record, Vermaelen and the man who's pretty much ungettable this summer, Hummels. Mangala will sign for City. De Vrij already signed for Lazio. Garay signed for Zenit. Leaves Benatia, BMI and Vertonghen from the list. I personally don't want Indi, but would gladly take the other two if the price is right. Other names that come to my mind are the already mentioned Laporte or Marquinhos from PSG, who is a huge talent and I think normally wouldn't be sold, but PSG just signed Luiz and the player himself might not be happy about sitting on the bench, add to that they have FFP issues.