Which format do you prefer?

fergosaurus

Some nations are getting royally fecked over. Like Finland, having to play 2 of their 3 group matches against opponents playing at home.

I think it’s unfair that a lot of teams will get home games, and some will get none. Just seems weird.

I also like having one host nation (or a joint hosting),not sure why but it just feels more special, more of a tournament feel than having to jet around the map. It also makes it an absolute pain to follow your team.
just imagine being a Welsh fan trekking here there and everywhere.

UEFA have got away with it due to COVID - otherwise I think it would have been absolute chaos and seriously unfair on a lot of fans - last minute flights and accommodation would cost an absolute fortune.

a_devil_inside

Big footed hermaphrodite
Definitely prefer the older way, it's what I grew up watching and loved. This new way just seems a big mess, much prefer seeing one city hosting, with videos on their culture, fans, mascot, etc, even the theme tune.
Seems very unfair on some teams too, only one team should get the slight advantage as host.

Also not a fan of 3rd place going through either, less excitement that way.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
It also basically allows almost no leeway for postponing games because some teams have to travel the very next day. Like Finland...

djembatheking

One host nation and 16 teams was much better . There are some crap teams in these first matches.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
The expanded number of teams is much more of an issue than the host nation thing. So many utterly crap teams that shouldn't be anywhere near a showpiece event. There must only be about 10 European countries that aren't in it.

One host nation and 16 teams was much better . There are some crap teams in these first matches.
It makes qualification pretty pointless for lots of teams as well.

England haven’t had a test in qualifying for far too long. It just makes qualification matches glorified friendlies - it’s too easy.

Iron

16 teams and 1-2 home nation was great. world cup, euros, champions league all ruined.

telstar96

The expanded number of teams is much more of an issue than the host nation thing. So many utterly crap teams that shouldn't be anywhere near a showpiece event. There must only be about 10 European countries that aren't in it.
Yes I completely agree. How can you have a group stage with 24 teams and only 8 get eliminated?? The jeopardy isn't enough if you can finish 3rd and still qualify for the next round, so the round of 16 just has fodder that will get smoked by a top team.

With regards to the format, I really like this multiple host tournament. It was meant to be a festival of football across UEFA nations with affordable tickets. Obviously COVID has really affected this, tickets are scarce because of the reduced capacity and there are so many restrictions that are stopping fans from traveling abroad to various stadia. Just imagine what this tournament would've looked like pre covid, fans from different cultures coming together across a variety places. I

I hope we can see something similar in the future as I think the reality of COVID has effectively ruined the purpose of the multiple host format. Maybe they should revise the number of venues and the scheduling. Take the Swiss for example, they play in Rome on the 16th and then in Baku on the 20th, which is an 11hour flight. Doesn't really seem fair and logical in my opinion.

NoPace

with all due respect, when you have teams like North Macedonia in the tournament… the net has been cast far too far.
I've got no problem with some meh teams being in, just would prefer the setup meant they have a proper go instead of sitting back.

RUUD_10_LEGEND

I'm missing the identity a tournament gets by being hosted in the same country. This is just too spread out across different stadia and time zones and doesn't feel right at all. I take it we are stuck with this format going forward, too?

James Peril

The tournament feels like the Nations League, I haven’t built up any sort of excitement compared to previous editions. Well done UEFA, for messing up yet another thing that worked exceptionally well already. For shame!

djembatheking

Too many teams involved that just want to get out of the group and if they do they set up to defend and try and nick a win in the next round. With 16 teams you get a few cagey group games then teams in the knockouts wanting to win it.

JamesB__

Supports
Stoke City
After the shite location choice of this tournament and the next World Cup, I was very happy to see that Euro 2024 is in Germany.

RedDevilRoshi

Should be one or maybe two host nations. This format of playing the games across Europe is just a load of pish.

Acole9

Outstanding
The multi country hosts has felt completely soulless so far.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Which European countries could host the tournament without that much additional costs? I would think England, Spain, Italy and France. It would be a bit boring for only those to host it but it would save money and not have the silly situation we have this time

Bobski

Too many big countries with home advantage, feels a little like the CL in that it is designed for top clubs.

zing

Zingle balls
Having 24 teams with 16 teams qualifying makes a mockery of the group stage. First time since I started watching football that I'm giving the group stage of Euros almost a complete miss.

Definitely something magical about having 1 host nation.

FCBarcelona

Supports
FC Barcelona
16 teams
1 country (or 2 neighbor countries)

This EURO, both the ridiculous number of teams and playing thousands of miles away killing the atmosphere is absolutely horrific from my point of view.

marktan

Having 24 teams with 16 teams qualifying makes a mockery of the group stage. First time since I started watching football that I'm giving the group stage of Euros almost a complete miss.

Definitely something magical about having 1 host nation.
Yeah likewise. More money for UEFA but little incentive to watch the games in the groups. I'll probably watch the France / Germany / Portugal match ups but that'll be it.

rron10

Supports
Sir Alex
16 teams
1 country (or 2 neighbor countries)

This EURO, both the ridiculous number of teams and playing thousands of miles away killing the atmosphere is absolutely horrific from my point of view.
I completely agree.
That special tournament feeling is completely gone, it’s like playing qualifiers every day.
Also bringing up the number of teams dilutes the quality so so much.
Combine that with exhausted players and we will have a lot of snooze fest matches

Judas

Open to offers
It just doesn't feel like anyone is the host. Maybe once we get to the knockouts and so many games are at Wembley? It just feels soulless and weird.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Having one host nation is much better as it lends more character to a tournament.

As for the format, I worry that having four third place teams qualifying will see a more conservative approach from some teams as a few draws could be enough for them to qualify to the next round.

MU655

One host nation.

I think it is unfair that half the teams have to play all their games away.

saivet

Why did they do this ? Was it Covid related ? Maybe because of travel restrictions they wanted everyone to have a chance to go to a game ?
It was decided before Covid but I believe one of the reasons was that there wasn't much interest in hosting the tournament for some reason. Due to the lack of interest they went creative.

valeron21

Covid has helped make this euros better as others have said , easier for home countries to see their team. However this was a rubbish idea. I went to the euros in 2016 and was superb. Having a country hosting all the games turns into the classic festival of football, some of the best moments there didn’t even involve England. Watched a Portugal game that ended 3-3 in the niece fan park, very few fans from either country but the atmosphere was magic . Also it was fete de la musique in niece that weekend when Sweden played Belgium , whole town red and yellow, england were due to play 3 days after In niece so a few england fans around but when the bars shut (3 am ish) everyone was in the main square singing don’t take me home for what seemed like ages. Swedes, Belgium’s, french and English living life . Same in Paris , fans from all countries getting drunk and having a good sing song together.. That’s what the euros is about for me !

It was decided before Covid but I believe one of the reasons was that there wasn't much interest in hosting the tournament for some reason. Due to the lack of interest they went creative.
it was obviously decided a number of years ago - so everyone’s memory will be cloudy… mine is.

however, I believe this was the brainchild of Platini and he wanted to do it from the start of his tenure.

saivet

it was obviously decided a number of years ago - so everyone’s memory will be cloudy… mine is.

however, I believe this was the brainchild of Platini and he wanted to do it from the start of his tenure.
Yeah I think he probably just took advantage of the low interest to get this one through

TheGame

This 3rd place qualification nonsense has ruined the group stages for me. I mean is the Group of Death actually the Group of Death when there is a chance all 3 teams could get through. Plus it makes a mockery of the drawing system when you can finish second and get an easier game in the next round. Should have stuck to the top 2 going through. You know you have to win your games from game 1 if top 2 are going through and actually makes the tournament more exciting.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
This 3rd place qualification nonsense has ruined the group stages for me. I mean is the Group of Death actually the Group of Death when there is a chance all 3 teams could get through. Plus it makes a mockery of the drawing system when you can finish second and get an easier game in the next round. Should have stuck to the top 2 going through. You know you have to win your games from game 1 if top 2 are going through and actually makes the tournament more exciting.
Yep, agreed...