Which LW will we sign this summer to fill the RW void?

World Game

Now that Sancho has established himself as a regular in the first team we have once again made the mistake of bringing in a winger to play on the right when his best position is on the left. People who are surprised that Sancho turned out to be better on the left shouldn't be.

There was a more than subtle clue that he would be.
He's right-footed.

But you will say what about all his amazing stats from the right wing at his old club? People said the same when we signed Sánchez before he ended up displacing Martial and Rashford on the left. It doesn't matter. No matter how good a right-footed right winger is, he will be more effective on the left.

Having your stronger foot on the opposite side gives you:
  • greater goal threat
  • more passing options
  • more unpredictability in dribbling
  • in-swinging crosses
  • ability to still make cutbacks with weaker foot.
A right-footed right winger meanwhile gives you:
  • better out-swinging cross
Mané's breakout seasons at Southampton were on the right wing. He now exclusively plays on the left.
Sterling had very strong seasons at both Liverpool and City on the right. His best position now is on the left.
On a similar note we bought Di Maria (left-footed) after he had strong seasons at Madrid on the left wing. His best position is now on the right.
This was the case with Sánchez and is now currently the case with Sancho.

We don't live in the David Beckham era anymore. Right-footed players wingers are better on the left. Left-footed wingers are better on the right. Can our club understand this?

If you still don't believe me take a look at the first choice right winger from our rivals going down the table.
  1. City, Mahrez (left-footed)
  2. Liverpool, Salah (left-footed)
  3. Chelsea, Ziyech/Havertz (both left-footed)

4. West Ham, Bowen (left-footed)
  5. Arsenal, Saka (left-footed)
  6. Wolves, Trincão (left-footed)
  7. Spurs, Lucas (right-footed) - no wonder they're shite
So the question is - has our club learnt its lesson yet or will we be signing another right-footed to play on the right before realizing halfway through the season he's actually better on the left?
Or worse, will be blow all our budget on Declan Rice and persist with playing Rashford on the right?
This is the scouting department that apparently looked at 800 RBs only to "find" AWB so it does not look too promising.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Inverted wingers became popular because kids grew up watching peak Messi and Ronaldo. Even Ribery and Robben. Tactics have also evolved in 20 years. It has nothing to do with inverted being between than a standard winger.

Not to mention we are currently progressing through the age of the Fullback. There’s no need for wingers anymore. Most Wide players are either wide forwards or inside forwards.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Suppose it's where the attacking RB comes into play, orthodox RB whipping in the crosses and the winger cuts in (genius original thoughts, I know but meh #statementoftheobvious.

But if we give up on Rashers for the LW then are we caring enough employers as club?. Surely the players consider more than money for their transfers to new clubs.

Rashford played through the injury barrier to help the club, fans pundits alike want players to do just that for the club. So why then do we not as fans and pundits get on the same players back for not being in a confident enough place to get that form back?. I think it's bad how people think about selling him or replacing the lad instead of supporting him. End of the day the man did well last year before he got injured.. Soo I think he soon should move back to the LW and send Sancho to the R.

wise_old_man

Rashford played through the injury barrier to help the club, fans pundits alike want players to do just that for the club. So why then do we not as fans and pundits get on the same players back for not being in a confident enough place to get that form back?. I think it's bad how people think about selling him or replacing the lad instead of supporting him. End of the day the man did well last year before he got injured.. Soo I think he soon should move back to the LW and send Sancho to the R.
No one is bigger than the club. We must choose the approach which benefits the team most, not a single player.

flappyjay

I just think all our recruitment should focus on midfield and a striker. These are pressing needs. A good midfield takes our defenders and attackers up a level. Elanga, Rashford, Sancho, Pellestri or Amad will have to fill up the wing spots.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Assume Greenwood, Martial, Cavani and possibly Ronaldo would be gone, we need at least 2 new forward/wing forward signing to fill the gap.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Baring in mind we have diallo, left footed for the right wing… also comfortable on both feet. We need to spend most of the budget on a CDM and possibly a striker. We’ve just invested in 2 young wingers in diallo and pellestri. Diallo who is probably closer to first team.

Nickelodeon

Baring in mind we have diallo, left footed for the right wing… also comfortable on both feet. We need to spend most of the budget on a CDM and possibly a striker. We’ve just invested in 2 young wingers in diallo and pellestri. Diallo who is probably closer to first team.
Diallo isn't even a starter for Rangers. If Martial, Cavani, Ronaldo leave, we'd be 4 attackers down (counting Greenwood). We would have to sign at least 2, a striker and a RW. CM will also be signed. Expecting big things from the next window.

stevoc

Or here's a crazy idea lets just play Sancho on the right.

I don't think we keep making a mistake so much as hiring feckwit managers who insists on playing any decent winger capable of playing RW anywhere but fecking right wing.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Sancho played mainly as a RW at Dortmund and basically he was bought by us in order to play there. Rashford on the other hand had his best games playing as a LW, so why do we overcomplicate things and switch them around ? Also Sancho's left is better than Rashford's left so he can comfortably play on the right.

NoPace

Suppose it's where the attacking RB comes into play, orthodox RB whipping in the crosses and the winger cuts in (genius original thoughts, I know but meh #statementoftheobvious.

But if we give up on Rashers for the LW then are we caring enough employers as club?. Surely the players consider more than money for their transfers to new clubs.

I might be doing cope as a commie organizer who respects Rashford and desperately wants to cheer him on for years, but I think I now believe that if he's gonna be a starter here it will be as a 9:

-He looked promising there as a Vardy type for a short period (I think right after we signed Ole? Someone who smokes less weed can confirm this or tell me I'm months/years off) making tons of runs in behind with his best attributes generally being pace, eagerness to get over the top in an era where too many players come short instead of mixing it up and ability in 1 on 1s against a CB.

-We don't have any depth at #9 with our current 2 being a combined 75 years old or whatever

-if we sign another #9, odds are he won't be lightning quick, and we've seen how good a Vardy type is against top teams who play a high line and restrict you to counter attacks more because they have the ball more anyways than a mid-table side and play higher lines.

-He's below-average defensively and is better at linking up or getting on the ball higher up the pitch anyways.

-He could play half the game a bit out left comfortable and leave the middle open which we've seen work really well for lots of strikers like Benzema, apparently Schick from what I've read (whenever I see him it's up top, but there's heat maps or whatever). Also good for build up because it gives the CBs on the other team nobody to mark and so helps overload numbers elsewhere on the field, and we haven't been an elite level team of doing that since I don't know, 2011?

-Has he ever had a full season of playing exclusively as a 9? He's gotten to watch Cristiano and Cavani now, that's about as good as it's gonna get.

-Players tend to bulk up a bit and gets stronger in the 2nd half other 20s. No gains in speed but strength improves (along with technique and most of all tactically).

-The big negative though is that he's terrible in the air and he's an inconsistent finisher, the old "a scorer of great goals, not a great scorer of goals" though again, that's exactly the kind of thing a player should improve productivity better in their prime years .

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I miss the classic, marauding, flying down the wing winger. The 90's/early 00's were so much fun watching the likes of Sharpe, Giggs, kanchelskis, killy Gonzalez, reus, robben (psv), etc.

Laurencio

We won't sign anyone. Pellistri will take the spot when he comes back.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It was both obvious and logical that Sancho would be best suited to the left. If you play on your natural wing, then you simply need to be extremely athletic. Principally, you will need to go outside your full-back. Sané, Valencia are recent examples of this type of winger. Sancho was never going to be able to consistently go on the outside of a PL full-back. He also has particular gifts that mean he should be coming inside and not outside, as he is top a passer of the ball. Messi on the right wing would have been half the player.

Anyway, Antony would be a quality LW option if we went that way, especially if we went for ETH.

NoPace

It was both obvious and logical that Sancho would be best suited to the left. If you play on your natural wing, then you simply need to be extremely athletic. Principally, you will need to go outside your full-back. Sané, Valencia are recent examples of this type of winger. Sancho was never going to be able to consistently go on the outside of a PL full-back. He also has particular gifts that mean he should be coming inside and not outside, as he is top a passer of the ball. Messi on the right wing would have been half the player.

Anyway, Antony would be a quality LW option if we went that way, especially if we went for ETH.
Yeah, there are always exceptions but everything in 2022 football says that Rashford is the one who might be best playing on his natural wing, not Sancho.

Sancho on the right would only make sense if we played with 2 up top or played like City or Barca do sometimes with their wingers the highest and widest players on the pitch and a false 9 and fullbacks tucking in, so the wingers provide maximum stretching of the play so the midfielders, the 9 and even the fullbacks sometimes can play centrally, dominate possession and play that way. And obviously we're not going to do that unless the next manager is a full tactical revolution here.

van Nistelrooy

Always knew Sancho was more comfortable on the left for Dortmund, yet we all thought we had our right winger established for the next decade.

Another example of crazy recruitment at this club.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I miss the classic, marauding, flying down the wing winger. The 90's/early 00's were so much fun watching the likes of Sharpe, Giggs, kanchelskis, killy Gonzalez, reus, robben (psv), etc.
Yep, those days were more fun.
Wingers who could actually cross it on their strong foot.
There were actually 2 strikers for them to aim at.
The centre mids could generally do a bit of all things, meaning none of this obsession with splitting to holding, attacking etc.
Full backs could actually defend, but also get-up and down.
Centre backs could all head it and didn't overdo the silly passing.
Glory days.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
We're just going to keep playing Rashford on the right for the rest of time in spite of his 0 good performances there and it basically ruining his entire career

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Yep, those days were more fun.
Wingers who could actually cross it on their strong foot.
There were actually 2 strikers for them to aim at.
The centre mids could generally do a bit of all things, meaning none of this obsession with splitting to holding, attacking etc.
Full backs could actually defend, but also get-up and down.
Centre backs could all head it and didn't overdo the silly passing.
Glory days.
You should watch Cologne then. They usually field a 4132 system with true wingers supported by attacking fullbacks and a lot of crosses for two real strikers.

wolvored

Im sure he was well rewarded as well. He was injured and in pain that much that he decided to play for England in the summer, then have his op so it impacted the clubs (who pay him) season. Hes paid to perform and if he cant get it back why should the club keep him for years?
Mind you forget all that Utd do it for every other player.

Kwamilyfyer

Now that Sancho has established himself as a regular in the first team we have once again made the mistake of bringing in a winger to play on the right when his best position is on the left. People who are surprised that Sancho turned out to be better on the left shouldn't be.

There was a more than subtle clue that he would be.
He's right-footed.

But you will say what about all his amazing stats from the right wing at his old club? People said the same when we signed Sánchez before he ended up displacing Martial and Rashford on the left. It doesn't matter. No matter how good a right-footed right winger is, he will be more effective on the left.

Having your stronger foot on the opposite side gives you:
  • greater goal threat
  • more passing options
  • more unpredictability in dribbling
  • in-swinging crosses
  • ability to still make cutbacks with weaker foot.
A right-footed right winger meanwhile gives you:
  • better out-swinging cross
Mané's breakout seasons at Southampton were on the right wing. He now exclusively plays on the left.
Sterling had very strong seasons at both Liverpool and City on the right. His best position now is on the left.
On a similar note we bought Di Maria (left-footed) after he had strong seasons at Madrid on the left wing. His best position is now on the right.
This was the case with Sánchez and is now currently the case with Sancho.

We don't live in the David Beckham era anymore. Right-footed players wingers are better on the left. Left-footed wingers are better on the right. Can our club understand this?

If you still don't believe me take a look at the first choice right winger from our rivals going down the table.
  1. City, Mahrez (left-footed)
  2. Liverpool, Salah (left-footed)
  3. Chelsea, Ziyech/Havertz (both left-footed)

4. West Ham, Bowen (left-footed)
  5. Arsenal, Saka (left-footed)
  6. Wolves, Trincão (left-footed)
  7. Spurs, Lucas (right-footed) - no wonder they're shite
So the question is - has our club learnt its lesson yet or will we be signing another right-footed to play on the right before realizing halfway through the season he's actually better on the left?
Or worse, will be blow all our budget on Declan Rice and persist with playing Rashford on the right?
This is the scouting department that apparently looked at 800 RBs only to "find" AWB so it does not look too promising.
Is it an outrageous idea to play Bruno on the right? He seems like a perfect player for that position. I'm surprised we've not seriously tried h there already.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Im sure he was well rewarded as well. He was injured and in pain that much that he decided to play for England in the summer, then have his op so it impacted the clubs (who pay him) season. Hes paid to perform and if he cant get it back why should the club keep him for years?
Mind you forget all that Utd do it for every other player.[\b]
This actually annoys me when it goes on too long, really affects the squad if we have too many injured players

Devil’s Trident

Wingers —
Greenwood possibly gone, lingard gone, Martial probably gone, Diallo and Pellestri not ready, Fool hardy to pin hopes on Rashford right now, only Sancho is there

Options —
Nkunku - versatile, scores a lot
Coman - dream signing, Not happening
Raphinha - wicked, hungry and solves the RW Conundrum

Have to get Raphinha, must get Raphinha