Which midfielder/attacker will not make our bench when everyone is fit?

OleBoiii

The PL will return to 3 subs and 7 players on the bench from next season. For most teams that means that there are only 4 spots for midfielders and attackers on the bench, as you need a reserve goalkeeper and a few defenders. With VDB and potentially Sancho coming in, we're looking at some very harsh decisions ahead. Let's assume that the following front 6 is our strongest:

-------------- Pogba - Matic -----------
Greenwood - Bruno - Rashford
------------------- Martial -----------------

There's no way that VDB was signed only to not even make the bench, so he's safe. Let's also assume that we have 1 goalkeeper and 2 defenders on the bench. The bench then looks something like this: Henderson, Bailly, Williams, VDB, ???, ???, ???

Most people are fine with Lingard, Pereira and Mata not making the bench, but there's a group of 4 players who all probably feel that they should at the very least make the bench. But there are only 3 spots left. And if Sancho comes it's only 2 spots left! Who will be left out in the cold?

Fred
He did very well last season and stepped up when the team was going through some really tough times. He's also arguably the only player other than Matic who's capable of playing next to Pogba, given all the defensive responsibilities that follows. Surely he must make the bench?

McTominay
A homegrown fan favorite with bags of potential. A versatile fighter that most teams would love to have.

James
Arguably the only winger we have. He's had a tough first season, but does he not deserve at least one more go?

Ighalo
You should all know his story by now. It would be heartbreaking to not see him on the bench.

Last edited:

United58

Probably Ighalo. Greenwood's a sub striker. Could be James too though on form over the last 6 moths. Others should be safe based on superior quality compared to those.

Everyone will get plenty of time given how little depth we have/how much injuries we always accrue (anyone have any inhalers?)

Bwuk

Ighalo probably. He’ll be gone in January anyway.

davidmichael

Greenwood covers both central striker and right sided attacker so you’d imagine Ighalo is the odd one out seeing as he’s not part of our long term planning, James is better on the left and will always be a good bench option especially with 10-15 minutes to go because of his pace.

I’d imagine if we sign Sancho and everyone is fit our strongest bench will be Henderson, Williams, Tuanzebe, McTominay, Van de Beek, James and Greenwood with Bailly and Fred realistic possibilities/alternatives to make that strongest subs bench too.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Henderson, Bailly, Williams (covers both flanks), and Greenwood (if Sancho comes) are safe. Matic/VDB is 5th. I think Ighalo will always be on the bench because he is type of striker who we need for plan B.
7th place should go to Fred.

Spaghetti

Mom's
12. De Gea or Henderson
13. Williams or Dalot
14. Bailly or Smalling or Rojo
15. McTominay (Fred is better as a starter but McT is better from the bench. Neither will start so McT takes the bench place)
16. Van De Beek
17. Greenwood (if Sancho signs)
18. James (purely because of his pace and he’s useful if we are winning by 1 goal and need to play on the counter)

I think all of the midfielders and attackers will get plenty of chances. Matic can’t play twice a week, Pogba and Bruno will be rested more as they’ve barely even had a break since looking exhausted at the end of the season. Rashford and Martial will be rotated if they are not injured.

Ighalo will get some minutes in cups and more straightforward league games from the bench. I’d love to see him do well, but I don’t envisage it, unfortunately.

Mata and Pereira are surplus to requirements. Lingard can be of use from time to time.

OleBoiii

Most people so far seem to be of the opinion that Ighalo shouldn't be on the bench, which makes sense seeing as he's probably leaving in January.

In the event of a Sancho signing, who is the second player to miss out on the bench: Fred, McTominay or James?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Our bench will differ from game to game, much like our starting XI will.

The idea of a set bench is unrealistic

cyril C

The PL will return to 3 subs and 7 players on the bench from next season. For most teams that means that there are only 4 spots for midfielders and attackers on the bench, as you need a reserve goalkeeper and a few defenders. With VDB and potentially Sancho coming in, we're looking at some very harsh decisions ahead. Let's assume that the following front 6 is our strongest:

There's no way that VDB was signed only to not even make the bench, so he's safe. Let's also assume that we have 1 goalkeeper and 2 defenders on the bench. The bench then looks something like this: Henderson, Bailly, Williams, VDB, ???, ???, ???

Most people are fine with Lingard, Pereira and Mata not making the bench, but there's a group of 4 players who all probably feel that they should at the very least make the bench. But there are only 3 spots left. And if Sancho comes it's only 2 spots left! Who will be left out in the cold?

Fred
He did very well last season and stepped up when the team was going through some really tough times. He's also arguably the only player other than Matic who's capable of playing next to Pogba, given all the defensive responsibilities that follows. Surely he must make the bench?

McTominay
A homegrown fan favorite with bags of potential. A versatile fighter that most teams would love to have.

James
Arguably the only winger we have. He's had a tough first season, but does he not deserve at least one more go?

Ighalo
You should all know his story by now. It would be heartbreaking to not see him on the bench.
Why do you assume that VDB will not spend time on the bench? If DDG has 50-50 chance on the bench, so should VDB and everyone else, particularly there is a term called rotation.

Scholsey2004

Presuming we sign Sancho.

Henderson
Bailly
Williams
James
Van de Beek
McTominay
Greenwood

Personally I'd see the five substitute rule remain at least until the fixture madness ends.

hungrywing

I used to always wonder just how much in detail SAF and crew roughly mapped out a season's worth of appearances for each player based on opposition. AKA "We have fourteen games against bottom seven opposition, pencil Scott in for starts against them. Then the cups and he'll get around twenty starts, thirty, thirty-five apps." Stuff like that. Also how dynamic and involved it could get depending on how much they sought to regulate the top players' minutes.

I still wonder, but I used to, too.

Web of Bissaka

Right now since only VdB joined.

Subs:
  1. Ighalo
  2. Lingard/James/Mata
  3. VdB
  4. McTominay/Fred
  5. Williams
  6. CB (whoever is fit in order of Tuanzebe, Bailly, Jones, Smalling, Rojo)
  7. Dean

Andreas Pereira and Dalot are definitely out.

norm87cro

Everybody fit? I will bet you we will squeeze in 5 out of 38 not counting cups. My first guess would be James and Ighalo but the club never gave the latter a chance in the league anyway. If Pogba doesn't go missing through injury or something else I'd imagine we have an issue with the Matic, Mctominay and Fred triangle as well. No way every single one will have enough playing time in the up coming season.

OleBoiii

Why do you assume that VDB will not spend time on the bench?
That's not what I wrote. I wrote that he will start or be on the bench. There are 3 levels here: starting XI, bench, not even on the bench. I'm pretty sure the latter wont happen for VDB in his first season.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Well realistically we don't need 3 CMs on the bench, or at least we shouldn't. My guess would be McT misses out. Not that we'll ever have no injuries anyway though!

EwanI Ted

He may sometimes gamble on only having one defender on the bench, given that McTominay could cover at CB in an emergency, or even Shaw. I'd rather keep McTominay on the bench than Bailly, given that McTominay may be useful for tactical reasons, while Bailly would only be there for injury cover. Especially when Maguire and Lindelof have such good injury records.

Also raises the question of whether you should have a sub GK on the bench. Given that De Gea has come off injured just once in 405 games, has it been worthwhile having a GK on the bench all those times? Maybe it doesn't matter if it only means putting Lingard/Pereira on the bench, but if it lets us keep Fred on the bench rather than in the stands, it might be logical. Of course it feels incredibly risky, so maybe that's the most important thing.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!

Fred

McTominay

James

Ighalo
I wouldn't say James had a tough/poor season. More like a mixed bag, especially given the realistic expectations of a 15m punt from Championship. Can be useful from the bench but then again, all of them have some uses in specific scenarios.

I'd say Pereira is the one to be left out.

Bestietom

McTominay, Fred, Matic, Ighalo, Greenwood, James, maybe Mata, will be the ones to pick from for the bench, If Sancho comes.
The backline needs a bit of injection now. LB and maybe CB. Then we are ready to challenge.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Fred should be in the starting lineup, talk less of ‘missing out on the bench’.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
DDG
AWB Maguire Lindelof Shaw
Pogba Matic
Sancho Bruno Rashford
Martial

Subs - Henderson, Bailly, Williams, McTominay, Van de Beek, James, Greenwood​

With Williams offering backup for both sides, VDB offering backup to the CMs & AM & Greenwood offering backup out wide & up front.

Personally I would choose Fred & Mata over McTominay & James. I think Fred is a better player than McTominay and Mata, Lingard & Ighalo are better players than James, but Ole seems to like James as an option with his pace & McTominay seems to be another favourite with his tenacity.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
In this scenario one of Fred or McTominay does not make the bench and that is harsh on both since I think both had good seasons last year. But Matic cannot play every game so there will be opportunity

does show we now have real depth in the squad and it will be difficult to keep everyone happy, but it's a good problem to have

Plus the chances of us having a fully fit squad for any sustained period is low

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Fred should be in the starting lineup, talk less of ‘missing out on the bench’.
Exactly. I see him starting a lot more than people realize. I actually see Fred starting the season in the first 11 and if not, not long after the season starts. The end of last season indicates to me that Ole has started to warm to him as part of a 3 with Pogba and Bruno. Ole been trying to get someone more energetic and mobile than Matic to play his role and tried McTominay a few times to poor results then tried Fred and liked what he saw.

Fred brings energy which also compliment Pogba well, as well as allows him to push and get into the forward act a bit more as demonstrated in the semi final against Sevilla.

Ole should start games with Fred and even if Ole starts the season with Matic, the first guy that comes in as his replacement would be Fred and Matic isn't going to be playing 2 games a week, so at the very least Fred needs to be on the bench for the games he doesn't start.

Either ways, unlike the majority of folks on the Caf, I see Fred in the starting line up. if Ole ever intends us to be as energetic and press as much we did at times against Sevilla then Fred is the way to go.

Eli Zee

In this scenario one of Fred or McTominay does not make the bench and that is harsh on both since I think both had good seasons last year. But Matic cannot play every game so there will be opportunity

does show we now have real depth in the squad and it will be difficult to keep everyone happy, but it's a good problem to have

Plus the chances of us having a fully fit squad for any sustained period is low
I agree Fred and mctominay are good players and played well for us. However, we definitely lock depth in attack, especially without sancho.
we have good depth at CM with Pogba, Matic, McTominay, Fred, VDB, Fernandes. 6 quality players for 3 total center positions is good.

Current attacking depth: 5 players for 3 spots... Ighalo, James, rashford, martial, greenwood. Realistically, 3 Quality players for 3 spots. if Liverpool or Manchester city were bringing on Ighalo or James off the bench, we wouldnt worry much or at all. James and Ighalo need to be improved upon in future windows.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Why can't the EPL have 11 players on the bench like Serie A?

Havak

Pokemon master
Henderson, Bailly, Williams, Van de Beek, Fred/McTominay, James/Mata, Greenwood/Ighalo*

*Assuming Sancho is signed.

Will depend on the opposition as to whether the likes of James or Mata are chosen (no point picking James against a side that will park the bus at OT, but away at Man City or Liverpool he'd probably be useful to either defend on the wing or counter).

Walters_19_MuFc

Martial
Rashford Bruno Sancho
Matic Pogba
Shaw Maguire Lindelof Wan-Bissaka
De Gea

Henderson (GK) Bailly (CB) Williams (LB, RB) Fred/McTominay(CDM) Van De Beek (CDM, CAM) Greenwood (RM, ST) Ighalo (ST)

Assuming that's the starting lineup, as others have said, it'll most likely be Fred and McTominay who will rotate in our midfielder area.

That said, given the end to the season, I would really like to see how the partnership of Fred and Pogba blossoms, as I was impressed with the pivot against Copenhagen and Sevilla.

If Ole has the same thinking and Fred does partner Pogba, then it would obviously mean Matic and McTominay rotating, but if I had to choose one to be on the bench, it would have to be Matic, simply because he'd be a good option to bring on when we need to, not only solidify our team, but add a much-needed composure to our game if/when needed. Unfortunately, that would mean McTominay missing out, but with Matic and VdB on the bench, it gives us a balance of one defensive and one attacking option to use depending on how the games going.

As for the wing, assuming we get Sancho, then Greenwood will move down to the bench, with James having to miss out.

Players like Mata, Lingard and Pereira should all be going.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I agree Fred and mctominay are good players and played well for us. However, we definitely lock depth in attack, especially without sancho.
we have good depth at CM with Pogba, Matic, McTominay, Fred, VDB, Fernandes. 6 quality players for 3 total center positions is good.

Current attacking depth: 5 players for 3 spots... Ighalo, James, rashford, martial, greenwood. Realistically, 3 Quality players for 3 spots. if Liverpool or Manchester city were bringing on Ighalo or James off the bench, we wouldnt worry much or at all. James and Ighalo need to be improved upon in future windows.
I actually think Ighalo was underutilised post-lockdown, I would have given him more gametime from the bench.

But I do agree that we can improve in that area and that is exactly why Ole wants Sancho